2024-02-08 19:43:23

This place is crazy. There is toxicity abound as well as a lot of illegal materials and activities, etc. I have ideas on steps we could take to change this, at least a bit:
More mods. We only have three admins right now and one mod (Whatever the difference is I do not know, though)- maybe get a solid team of 6-8 people going.
Community failure needs to be taken more seriously. Right now and for all time, community failure has just been an empty expression, meaning a mod is particularly annoyed at a user and needs some way to make that known. And it is used to much, adding to its emptiness. It means nothing anymore. Community failure should have something associated it, like a particularly long ban or a permaban.
Rules and bans- there are many users of this forum (Examples on request) who have been banned multiple times or warned too many times, over a long period, and it doesn't change anything. It should be, in all time, if someone gets a certain number of warnings, or bans, they will be permabanned, or the community failure clause will then be able to be invoked.
Politics- political chats should be banned at least for now because nobody on here knows how to respect others' oppinions.
If someone distributes illegal material they should be banned immediately.
Just a few ideas. Let me know what you all think and feel free to add your own ideas, hopefully the admins will see it and actually think about it.

I always tell myself I'm going to stop procrastinating. I was going to, but I never got around to it.
Always approach life with an excellent attitude!
If you like my post, thumb me up!

2024-02-08 21:24:18

I don't think banning political discussions is a good idea. If you write a rule that says "no political discussions," you then have to define what a political discussion is. Is it just topics that devolve into attacks or nonsense, as happened recently? Because that isn't the fault of the originator of said discussion, but instead the fault of those who can't control themselves and who allow their dislike for those topics to override any common sense or decency they may have and who will then go and dogpile on anyone who starts those discussions just so they can get that ego boost. If you just ban political discussions outright, that opens that rule up to major interpretation by any presiding administrator or moderator who happens to be online at the time. Ordinarily this would be fine, but the community has a general distrust of the moderation/administration team at the moment, regardless of whether said team deserves that distrust or not, and I feel as though that kind of vague, overbroad ban would make things far, far worse, not better.
As for your first idea, community failure does in fact mean something. Per the rules:

9. In the event that other available methods fail to stop a user's problematic behaviour, the administration may decide to invoke punitive action outside of the natural discipline protocol. This can also be invoked if an action whose consequences would be relatively minor are made much worse by content (repetition of similar offenses, inference of ill intent, etc). This process is referred to as a community failure clause, where unacceptable behavior or users are punished or even removed for the good of the community at large. The administrators and moderators will verify their punishment based on demonstrable evidence of wrongdoing. A staff majority, including at least one (1) administrator, must be reached before this clause can be used to punish someone. Staff may attempt to give the user in question one final chance to improve their behavior, but if problems persist, the agreed-upon punishment will be enforced immediately and without further deliberation. Staff are not required to give a user a last chance of this nature, but can do so at their own discretion.

I think (and this is just my opinion) that the CFC is meaningless because it's misused. As the rules state, it is an option of last resort. It should be used only if all other methods have failed. In other words, it should be the rarest form of punitive action. I also think that the aforementioned rule should be updated to require unanimous consent from all admins and mods to be invoked, primarily due to it's last-resort nature.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-09 06:08:25

where are these 6 to 8 mods you're talking about? Are you volunteering?

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2024-02-09 08:08:35

I absolutely disagree with banning anything and with punishing people for any reason. I do however like the idea of sectioning people and topics off to a single unmoderated room; that way, anyone who has committed any kind of major infraction can only post in the unmoderated room. Remember people, who so ever cries out for justice will get what they ask for; however, it may well be served in such a way that the ones crying out for it will fall under its hammer. Remember what happened to Jayde? He wielded the hammer of justice as part of the moderation team and once he gave up wearing the ring of power and became a regular forum member, justice was wielded against him. What happened to him was truly awful, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Some would say that what happened to him was unjust and just plane bullying but that's what justice looks like; you're punishing/bullying the wrongdoer into complying with your rules and regulations and smashing as well as crushing them under foot in order to make that happen. Give people the tools to moderate them selves or section them off; it's the only way to enforce the rules fairly. How so? You're not using any punitive might if you section them off or if you give them the tools to moderate themselves.

2024-02-09 09:58:05

Dude no. Not only is that not going to work because forum software, it wouldn't make a difference anyway. The lets deal with everyone with kindness act will not do anything but make people scoff at you, hard.
The argument well you can't know what is considered what is one of the weakest and dumbest arguments I've ever scene. If you can't tell what is something so simple as that you might not be fit for a moderator, and don't tell me different interpretations, that doesn't apply either.
Also, I still believe religion and nsfw topics should be blocked, those things really give the forum a very disgusting look right now for anyone coming from outside, and every single forum I've ever scene blocks those by default. You'll go well haha but I want to talk about those in a place with no restrictions, go make or find one that specializes in those sorts of things, the forum shouldn't be a for absolutely everything forum, because that can be really hard to moderate and live with for everyone.

2024-02-09 10:11:17

Facepunch's forums did the whole move people who commit infractions to their own separate area where only they can see their own threads. It did not work, because once you were in there, you could not get out. At all. Great idea, you may think. But no. You'd get in there for the slightest of reasons. Post and out yourself as a Garry's Mod pirate? You wouldn't get in there. Say a phrase from a meme, even in discussion? Off to the special area you go!

As for not banning anything? Your site won't last at all if you take that attitude. @1 is right, but let me ask you something. Where, OP, do you draw the line at illegal?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2024-02-09 13:14:27

@5, what NSFW topics?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-02-09 14:09:33

If we aren't allowed to treat people with kindness all the time and we aren't allowed to moderate only with kindness, I ask in all seriousness, what am I doing here? I don't mean I want to leave the forum, I mean I know that most people don't like the only be kind route. Should I just leave it up to you and not say anything else regarding this matter? Is it really the case that people want a little assholery not only on the forum but in their lives? Fighting fire with fire hasn't exactly worked either has it? Isn't the goal to reduce toxicity, not fight toxicity with toxicity? I cannot condone taking punitive measures against anyone for any reason what so ever. Whenever I come across let's punish, let's bann, let's impugn, my response will always be let's deescalate, let's calm down, let's be rational and logical and then let's post. What's wrong with advocating for using common sense and treating the forum like the brake room in the work place, a bistro/cafeteria or a set of home communities but on an international scale? In short, if you won't say it at your local starbucks or costa then why say it here? Simple is it not?

2024-02-09 14:17:55

@7
I don't really mean recently, I mean in general, every month or so one comes up, and I believe there is one active recently, about something that starts with the character p, ok, perhaps it's not as crazy as the other 2, but it's frowned on for a very good reason. And I don't consider it a friendly place if it contains such discussions, regardless of ignoring or not.
@8
I mean, yeah, if you really can make people listen by talking to them calmly then be my guest, but it practically won't work, it's like a virus, you can't exactly hug a virus and tell it yo my friend, can you please leave me alone? You get rid of it by eating medesan, which is effectively some sort of asid that burns the virus, or starvs it to death, or whatever, it goes that way, if someone's causing trouble and they don't listen to warnings, which aren't exactly slapping you on your face to be considered forceful, the only way to get rid of that kind of troublemaker is by well, removing it.

2024-02-09 16:25:19

Thanks mohamed for your response. I do agree with the medicine analogy. Okay, I'll give you one of my own then. Say you're an owner of a bar and a fight is in progress, what do you do? Some owners get their bouncers to forcefully throw out the offending combatants, no questions asked, just get out and never come back. Some owners will throw them out and they're banned for a while and some ask what happened here. If either or both can explain without being belligerent then while they wouldn't be punished, they would be asked to leave and fight it out off the property. You can do the same here by not enacting any punitive measures at all. Just ask the combatants to leave for a while and if they must fight, then fight off the forum. Let users either request a ban for a while if they don't feel they have enough self control to stay off the forum for the duration of the brawl or give people the power not to ban each other but themselves temporarily or permanently if they feel like they're no longer welcome here. If people just won't listen to reason no matter what, then there are 2 options. Either ban them permanently or make it so that only people of their own ilk can see their posts. I much prefer the second option; I don't like banning people. It is probably a good thing that I am not a moderator like other people said because I prefer to quarantine people rather than to exterminate them and banning them permanently is rather like extermination; their avatars have died and the players AKA forum users cannot come back.

2024-02-09 17:11:24

@3: Even if they were, I don't think the two-week-old "I'm going to revive this topic to tell you how much your spelling sucks" account would be a good pick for that.

2024-02-09 17:26:46 (edited by LilyNight 2024-02-09 17:27:40)

@11, wow are you insulting me? I'm right here you know, and I'd be happy to become a mod once the existing ones show some devotion to making this place better which they are not doing right now. @3, are you volunteering? It's clearly not gonna happen so...

I always tell myself I'm going to stop procrastinating. I was going to, but I never got around to it.

2024-02-09 17:42:48 (edited by Ethin 2024-02-09 18:03:45)

@5, I wasn't saying that you wouldn't know what is what. That wasn't my argument. Go re-read what I said, assuming that was aimed at me. I was saying that the terms "political" and "religious" are far too vague (particularly religious). If your going to ban something, you should probably define what falls under that ban instead of leaving it open to interpretation by both the user base and admins/mods. It's definitely no dumb argument at all. Would you rather mods/admins have a narrowly-tailored list of what qualifies as political discussions that actually should be banned, or would you rather the users flood the mods with frivolous reports that a discussion is political because maybe it is but it's not actually toxic or harmful and could be a good thing? And as for religion? Yeah, definitely too vague. The 11th circuit court of appeals here in America spelled out exactly why:

11th court of appeals Judge Newsom wrote:

The majority opinion says that the word “religious” has a “range of meanings.” That’s true, but colossally understated. Closer to the mark, I think, is the majority opinion’s recognition that the term “religious” is “inherent[ly] ambiguous.” Pretty much any criterion one can imagine will exclude faith or thought systems that most have traditionally regarded as religious.
Consider, for instance, one definition of “religious” that the majority opinion posits: “‘having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.’” That, as I understand things, would eliminate many Buddhists and Jains, among others. Or another: “‘belief in and reverence for a
supernatural power or powers as creator and governor of the universe.’” Again, I could be wrong, but I think many Deists and Unitarian Universalists would resist that explanation. And so it goes with other defining characteristics one might propose. Belief in the afterlife? I’m pretty sure that would knock out some Taoists, and presumably others, as well. Existence of a sacred text? My research suggests that at least in Japan, Shintoism has no official scripture. Existence of an organized “church” with a hierarchical structure?Neither Hindus nor many indigenous sects have one. Adherence to ritual? Quakers don’t. Existence of sacraments or creeds? Many evangelical Christians resist them. A focus on evangelization or proselytizing? So far as I understand, Jews typically don’t actively seek to convert non-believers.
Relatedly, what truly distinguishes “religious” speech from speech pertaining to other life-ordering perspectives? Where does the “religious” leave off and, say, the philosophical pick up? Is Randian Objectivism “religious”? See Albert Ellis, Is Objectivism a Religion? (1968). My gut says no, but why? How about “Social Justice Fundamentalism”? See Tim Urban, What’s Our Problem?: A Self-Help Book for Societies (2023). Same instinct, same caveat. Scientology? TM? Humanism? Transhumanism? You get the picture.

This is a significantly different context, but I'm pretty positive the underlying message still holds. Politics is generally a very, very broad term to encompass all kinds of things. Healthcare, gun control, legal reforms, advocacy, supporting people with disabilities, law, governance/political systems, international relations, the economy, electoral systems and elections, civil rights, conflict and peace studies, the environment.... You get the idea. I'm pretty sure many of the discussions in the general games room nowadays would fall under not just general gaming threads, but also make a political statement, in a way, as well.
As for NSFW topics? I haven't seen any. Can you link to one?
Edit: I think another problem with the banning political discussions argument is, of course, the fact it's being pushed by the same people who can't control themselves when they see an obviously political discussion to begin with, and who find it necessary to jump in and dogpile on the originator of the topic because they decided to talk about politics. So, in short, I also see a problem with this argument because (1) it's self-serving, (2) it's these members effectively asking the forum to control them for them (something the forum should NOT have to do), and (3) it's really looks like the rules are being weaponized to target individuals who may wish to just have an intelligent discussion with a minority of the world (a.k.a. disabled people) but can't because a minority on this forum see it necessary to attack people who start political discussions in every conceivable way because they don't like political discussions. Maybe a better idea might be to just ban the people who can't control themselves and see it necessary to devolve political topics into mudslinging instead of skipping it like any mature person would. I'm pretty sure that would accomplish the same objective as "banning political discussions", and make the forum less toxic at the same time. But I imagine this idea won't exactly be all that popular.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-02-09 18:08:05

@13
Ok, I understand better now, Ok, yes, I do agree, and as how to be blocked as, not sure about politics because I never checked any politics topic that was posted after 2022, but religion, if people start talking, for example, about how this religion does x or y, or why etc, I'm bad at explanation I know, but I'm sure the admins can get the basic idea, like selebration for an event like xmas or etc can be fine I guess, but things that can make people really get angry that should be instantly blocked, like once people start discussing things it should be a enough line and an instant close to the topic, could be similar for politics, but again, I have 0 to no idea about politics so I Don't know which lines makes people go crazy.

2024-02-09 18:14:12 (edited by Lucas1 2024-02-09 18:15:47)

@12: No, I was making an observation. Just like the observation you made about Ugat's spelling, except this topic isn't three years old.

2024-02-09 18:32:30 (edited by JaceK 2024-02-09 18:34:03)

Ethin's right, politics and religion are too broad of terms. But if there's a narrow list of what's banned, people are going to go but you missed X Y Z and so on.

Lily,you have at least in the last few topics I've read, come off as increasingly hostile and nasty though. You being a mod, at least with your attitude in recent posts is not something I can get behind at all. You went off on MaxAnger in the politics/gaffes topic for, you know, saying this is what this side has to do because of A< B, C reasons, and you come in here being all shut up keep your nasty opinions to yourself. Is that how someone who wants to be a mod should be acting? IMO it's hypocritical to start off the thread with oh there's so much toxicity around here and then contribute to it, you've also done it in this thread too, so no, I'm sorry, I can't take your idea of make the forum great again (oh wait is that political now?) seriously. at all when you seem to, at least by your recent posts, seem to come off as some arrogant know it all who says one thing, then acts the complete opposite
@Bashu: Gonna edit real quick to point out that there's a lot of stuff said in Starbuvks/Costa/etc that is hostile and conforontational, so not really the best example. Your idea of treat everyone with kindness is not viable, because people will just take full advantage of that, and walk all over you

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2024-02-09 19:33:20

Jacek, I am truly sorry to read that the kindness route is not a viable option, it saddens me greatly. As Quigon Jin said to Annakin Skywalker in starwars episode 1, the phantom menace, some people and their points of view must be tolerated. I don't agree with what LilyNight wrote but she does have the right to express her opinions and make suggestions that are in accord with said opinions, even though they are opposite to my own. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had the same temperament? I don't mean personalities because it's good to be different and we should be free to express our differences; I mean temperament meaning everyone wants to get along. I know I cannot please everyone but we must start somewhere and where better than to say let's start with a clean slate and build from that. Let's leave all the negativity behind us and genuinely get to know one another, even if it's just on a casual level. I'm not suggesting we be completely open to the point of disclosing everything about ourselves but enough to build trust and comradery. We must also build enough trust to know that we won't get shot at if we express opinions that people truly hate. I would not say no if I am ever asked to be a diplomat here.

2024-02-09 19:37:16

@17 I just love that! big_smile

2024-02-09 20:31:11

Thank you LilyNight, much appreciated. Where do you suggest we go from here then? Obviously we both want to decrease the level of toxicity here. Is there any way we can pull this off as a collective? Certainly we can pull this off as individuals, that isn't the issue but how can we build the level of trust needed in order to turn the forum around in order to make it a pleasant place for all? How do we balance that with the freedom to talk about what ever we want to? True we'd have to back off and just agree to disagree if things start to get a little heated. The only suggestion I have is to take it off the forum when conversations escalate to being a little heated; we don't want to escalate it on the forum and subject other to our extreme points of view. In this context, we means the collective rather than you and I.

2024-02-10 00:21:28

More moderators would probably be a good thing, but the problem is finding people who are reasonably level headed, reasonably well respected in the community, can commit to reading the forum on a regular, ideally daily basis, and who are willing to make that commitment... and at present, finding a forum member who checks off even one of those is a challenge.

And even if we can agree on what qualifies as religion or politics, another question regarding the potential ban of those subjects is this: Does a politics ban mean just no politics threads in Off Topic, or does it mean no discussion of games that feature political commentary as part of their story? ANd if the ban does extend to games that touch on such subjects... would a religious ban apply equally to games like the Binding of Isaac and God of War, or would the former be banned for biblical references while the latter is acceptable since there are very few, if any, serious adherents to ancient Greek or Norse religions in the modern day?

Not that I'm in favor of banning either, just further illustrating the complexity of such a ban.

Of course, some people are going to whine and moan no matter what you do

2024-02-10 01:26:27

Just speaking theoretically here, with admin hat off, I think if a ban like that were to happen, it'd be on real world politics or religion. It would not make sense to ban Nation States, Civilisation, God of War, Binding of Isaac etc. In fact, I'd actually love the chance to play Binding of Isaac to be honest.

2024-02-10 01:56:38

I question the wisdom of banning things left and right.  This is the internet and I don't believe in sensoring people so harshly.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2024-02-10 02:21:41

My sentiment exactly, that's why trouble makers must be asked or told to cool off before we get to that stage. Why doesn't someone create a discord group so that we can all take topics off the forum? I'm willing to create a group but if I do, it will be done with the understanding that no punitive measures will be enacted against any other for any reason what so ever. If you don't want or don't like that then you'll have to create the group. You in this context means people, not a specific you. Is this something the forum wants? That way, we don't have to restrict free speech.

2024-02-10 02:56:23

I'm honestly not interested in changing this forum's rules in order for greather decency.
Not only because I consider myself mature enough to skip over topics that I'm not interested in and due to the fact that I have a real life that makes this forum just a relax despite its usefulness, but also because people are as is in real life too, so we can't pretend this forum, with real people, to do not reflect how people in human reality is.

I explained my point regarding banning certain subjects in the topic about closing the Off-Topic Room and I don't want to type it or finding for pasting it over here again.

Regarding NSFW topics, I don't think these should be forbidden in this forum. While other forums do it by default, there are not many specialized communities around our minority, and it's not easy to create an online community for the blind with so many users of different parts of the world like this.
This is for many reasons, including the fact that many blindies don't want other formats than the old mailing lists, frequent changes made by social networking platforms that hugely breaks accessibility for users that are not advanced in screen reader proficiency, and the so restrictive Community Standards of some popular social platforms, for example the ones owned by Meta.
Another non-technological reason behind this opinion of not banning NSFW topics is that many NSFW, although there are more, are sex-related, and sexuality of the disabled is still a very large taboo which many of us hardly can talk about in other places.
Despite this opinion, even for both political and NSFW topics it is desirable to discuss respectfully, which I try my best to do even when expressing somewhat extreme views.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2024-02-10 03:12:02

Bashue,

I don't like to punish people or see them be punished either. It sucks. I wish people could just behave and get along. The world would be a much better place. Let's be real though. Sadly, we don't live in that ideal world. That kind of world just doesn't exist for multiple reasons, and for the most part it probably never will. At least not in our lifetime.

Sometimes the only way to deal with a problem is to remove it, and sometimes the only way to show someone that they're out of line is to punish them. There are many people who do their best to be good citizens and follow rules, but there are also a lot of people who don't care about rules and think that they can do whatever they want. Not punishing someone for bad behavior at all just reinforces the bad behavior, because they know they can just get away with whatever they want. That's unless the behavior is purely for attention-seeking purposes, then ignoring it will hopefully make it stop. Sometimes that's just not an option based on what sort of harm the behavior is causing. Rules and consequences are there for people who don't know how to or don't care to control themselves and need to be told how to behave.

If you did set up such a Discord server and just allowed people to say and do whatever they wanted with no boundaries or no consequences for crossing them, then you'll likely only attract people who want to be jerks and get away with it. Everyone else who doesn't subscribe to this extreme pacifism of yours will be driven away. Communities need guidelines and consequences for braking those guidelines. Otherwise it's just pure anarchy.

Now if someone does something wrong, should they be told that what they're doing isn't acceptable and given a chance to change their ways? In a lot of cases, absolutely. But what happens when they refuse to change and know that they can just walk all over you and you won't lift a finger to stop it? How many chances should they get? What if what they're doing is causing great harm? What if it endangers lives? What if it encourages others to misbehave? Live and let live only goes so far.