2024-01-05 11:24:04 (edited by aaron77 2024-03-27 03:34:39)

Update March 26, 2024

I've just released what I'm tentatively calling Version 1 of both my Describe Screenshot and Describe Photo shortcuts.

They can both be found on their new dedicated site!

Some of the new changes include:
1. conversations:  You can now reply to the descriptions you are provided.  to do so, press the okay button on the description's alert. Have nothing to say? No worries! Hit cancel, and the Shortcut will leave you in peace!
2. Slash commands: When typing a reply, you can use /save with either Shortcut, and the last photo or screenshot taken will be saved to the photo album of your choosing. Additionally, Describe Photo also has /add, which will allow you to take another picture to accompany your replies.
3. Describe Photo now supports the Apple Vision Pro! If you run the shortcut on Vision Pro, it will grab the latest photo from your camera roll rather than having you take one. This is because the Shortcuts app on Vision Pro doesn't support taking photos in shortcuts. If you intend to use this shortcut with other smart glasses or prefer to take your photos in the Camera app, you can make grabbing the latest photo the default behavior in the set up screen.

That's everything. Share and Enjoy! smile

Update

The original describe screenshots shortcut has been updated. the update can be found here.
Now, the set up process walks you through all the parameters you can adjust, like the system prompt and temperature.
Defaults are provided so messing with those fields is optional.
The reason I added those fields to the set up screen was so you no longer have to manually edit the shortcut to change any of those values.
There is also a new shortcut, called Describe Photo, which can be found here.
This one, unlike Describe Screenshot, will take a picture using your camera when run, then get that image described, and yes, it will work with your mac's webcam too.
Just like Describe Screenshot, it can be assigned to a VO gesture or your action button or whatever you want.
Additionally, it will work with the share sheet and Quick Actions menu so you can share images from other apps, or if on a Mac, you can use the context menu for an image (within Finder or other apps) to send images to the Shortcut.

Original Post

Hi all!
Over the last couple days, I've been working on a Shortcut for iOS / Mac OS to quickly describe Screenshots.
Yes, we have Be My AI, and yes, we have the Chat GPT app if we have a Plus subscription, but neither are all that efficient when dealing with Screenshots.
Anyway, if you want to check it out, you will need to click on this link from an iOS or Mac OS device.
When installing the Shortcut, it will ask you for an OpenAI API Key, so you'll want to log into and / or sign up at platform.openai.com,
Create an API Key, and fund the account with at least a dollar.
This can be done on the settings page, under Billing.

Once you've added your key to the shortcut and hit install, all you have to do is assign the Shortcut to a VoiceOver gesture of your choosing and you're good to go.
to do that, head to settings, Accessibility, VoiceOver, Commands, All Commands, Shortcuts, and select the Describe Screenshot Shortcut. You'll then be able to assign it to a VO gesture, keyboard shortcut, or both.
Once you've done that, you can run the Shortcut anywhere, a screenshot will be taken, and the Shortcuts app will open and place you in a textbox where you can include a question to accompany the image, then you can just tap Done when you're ready to send the image over, and a description should come back within 15-30 seconds.
While the image is being processed, you can keep using your phone (Or Mac.) The description will pop up around the top center of your screen, or on your Mac, you'll need to use the Window chooser to switch to the Quick Look Panel that will have opened.
At the end of each description, you'll be told how much that request cost. In my experience, it's usually been around 2-3 cents.

Oh, I almost forgot!
If you want to use it with VO on the Mac, you would go to VO preferences, commanders, and assign it to the keyborad / Trackpad/whatever commander of your choosing. Then you'll be able to run it anywhere you want!

I hope this is useful to you guys! Let me know what you think!

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2024-01-05 13:19:38

your cool man

2024-01-05 13:41:59

kinda expensive IMHO if I would use it so often like be my eyes.

meow meow.

2024-01-05 14:01:15

be my eyes does this for free

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2024-01-05 14:31:35

its pretty useful regardless faster than openning be my eyes

2024-01-05 21:31:37

I can't say Be my Eyes is all that bad at describing screenshots though? At least I've never had any kind of issue

2024-01-05 21:42:43 (edited by aaron77 2024-01-05 21:44:36)

I didn't make this because Be My AI can't describe screenshots well.
I made it because you can't bind Be my Eyes to a VO gesture like you can this shortcut.
This isn't a replacement for Be My AI. It's just a quicker way of getting things described.
The shortcut does have a couple advantages that Be My AI doesn't though. For one, you can adjust the system prompt, temperature, and other parameters, which is really useful.
Plus, with the Shortcut, you can include a message with your image, so the message and image are processed together. This is a really powerful thing which Be My AI doesn't support, but should.
Oh and also, the this shortcut will work on Mac OS. Be My AI does not.

2024-01-05 23:03:06

@7 that is incorrect. I have be my AI on the mac. You need 3rd party tools to do it, but it is definitely possible and easy to get. Unfortunately since it is side loaded, it can't interact with finder extensions or the share sheet. So I can't import anything into be my AI or browse my pictures from the app.
I talked about this in a thread less than a month ago; I'm too lazy to go looking for it.
Your utility still has good use, however I'm cheap so I don't want to pay for anything.

2024-01-06 00:16:40

Of course. Just about any modern iOS app can be sideloaded onto an Apple Silicon Mac, but as you pointed out, these almost always come with limitations which make the experience with the app far from pleasant.
If it can't access finder extensions or the share sheet what can you use it for? Do you just use it to take pictures from your webcam?
Given these limitations, I would still argue that you can't realistically run the Be My AI service on a Mac even if the app will technically run.

I get not wanting to spend money on image descriptions but it's cheaper than you probably realize.
I've been sending dozens of images over the past two days while testing and while playing games and I don't even think I've spent a dollar yet.

2024-01-06 01:30:29

It's not useless if that is what you are implying. The pictures are the same quality that you get from the phone. The chat portion works the same way. It just doesn't have outside functionality, and you can
t call a volunteer. I mean you can, but they won't see anything because the mac doesn't have a rear camera. I really should stop being lazy and ask be my eyes to add a front facing camera option. If it weren't for be my AI, then yes the be my eyes app would be useless. Sadly I can't get seeing AI working on the mac, but I envision is available from the app store. I don't ahve an account, so I haven't tried it. So all that being said, be my AI is the only tool i could use for the mac, and that's certainly better than othing.
Regarding the price, I don't take screen shots or pictures. I don't have many apps, so I ddon't have too much of a use case for it. The most inaccessible app I had was surfshark, but they recoded the ui and now it is accessible. Parallels is not great, but vocr does a good enough job. I don't really care about the icons or anything like that.

2024-01-06 04:27:56

Just out of curiosity, what pictures have you ever felt the need to take from the Mac? Seems rather inconvenient, though I suppose it could be useful if you wanted to get a close-up view of your face or something. Also, I’m fairly sure the WebCams on max are quite a bit worse than phone cameras these days, but I might be wrong and I’m too lazy to compare them right now.

2024-01-06 04:52:54

Thank you. Finally, I am able to operate Telegram using screenshots without having to import them into Be My Eyes again. This is really great!

2024-01-06 09:18:02

@11 because I don't have a life or any responsibilities, I have yet to need a serious reason to use be my AI. Yeah I'm that unproductive.
I think the phone camera is loads better, but the mac does allow for a wider picture I would imagine. I could be wrong about that. And just like the angle of the phone, you have to consider the angle of the laptop lid. So personally I think it's just a different method of doing things with the same or nearly the same result.

2024-01-06 15:40:13

If you care about the quality of the image Be My AI is describing, then you should really use your phone just about every time. The photo will be significantly higher quality, it will be easier to position the camera for a better shot, and your phone will most definitely have a wider field of view than your webcam.
Most Pretty sure all modern iPhones have a 120 degree field of view on their back cameras, while webcams seem to range between 60-80.
If you think about it, you want your webcam to have a narrower field of view, not a wider one, so you're not showing your entire bedroom when you get on Zoom meetings with your boss.

Having Be My AI on the mac could be useful for taking pictures right before a meeting to see if you're centered and that your background doesn't look too horrible.
I'd still rather check with a human at this point though. I'm not ready to trust an AI with this just yet.

2024-01-06 20:50:06 (edited by Zarvox 2024-01-06 20:51:36)

That makes a lot of sense. I totally agree using the phone is easier. That I was never trying to dispute. I personally like using the phone a lot more. I'd much rather be able to import photos into be my ai on the mac rather than take them on the fly for analyzing. Your tool would definitely be useful for that, but I don't have any pictures or really care about it. So for me it is not applicable. It's awesome that we at least have some options for the mac. And envision is a thing, but I have 0 knowledge on how accessible it is, how good it is, and the functionality it supports on the mac. If it only uses the rear facing camera, then it is useless, assuming you can't import photos.

2024-01-07 08:06:36

Talking about content describers, VOCR has released a new version and it even includes openAI descriptions. Yay!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2024-01-07 12:24:45

speaking of those things, I wonder, is it possible to extract the API key from be my AI and use it for this? I mean, it's fair use anyway, since it's not sold to anyone or whatever, but maybe that could work as a stop gap till these things become cheaper, or for people who are in unsupported countries, or those who don't have a credit card, or...etc?

2024-01-07 13:01:59 (edited by mazen 2024-01-07 13:04:41)

Please don't do this. That could result in the key leaking and ruining it for everyone. And I don't think you can anyway, there's probably a backend server first that calls the OpenAI API and makes sure you have an account etc etc. Also no way is that fair use. The key allows access to regular ChattGPT and other models. Regardless of that, it wouldn't be fair use.

2024-01-07 14:11:35

I mean, it would be fair use only if the key is kepped on the computer of the one who discovers it, and even if it gets shared, it's done responsibly, like in any piracy community, there are rules to this stuff as well. I could start reverse engineering be my eyes for android, but yeah, you're right, probably it's further protected. O really, the API key isn't scoped to only chat gpt, and even then only image mode? I thought that's possible, but apparently not, so yeah, I can see why it might not be considered fair use

2024-01-07 17:19:35

@19 Before you get started on that though, I suggest checking out their user agreement. Particularly the "Restrictions on Your Use of the Services" section over at https://www.bemyeyes.com/terms

2024-01-07 18:25:32

oof, good I didn't go through with it then, since it appears to be against their ToS

2024-01-08 19:15:43

The original describe screenshots shortcut has been updated. the update can be found here.
Now, the set up process walks you through all the parameters you can adjust, like the system prompt and temperature.
Defaults are provided so messing with those fields is optional.
The reason I added those fields to the set up screen was so you no longer have to manually edit the shortcut to change any of those values.
There is also a new shortcut, called Describe Photo, which can be found here.
This one, unlike Describe Screenshot, will take a picture using your camera when run, then get that image described, and yes, it will work with your mac's webcam too.
Just like Describe Screenshot, it can be assigned to a VO gesture or your action button or whatever you want.
Additionally, it will work with the share sheet and Quick Actions menu so you can share images from other apps, or if on a Mac, you can use the context menu for an image (within Finder or other apps) to send images to the Shortcut.

2024-03-26 08:41:08 (edited by aaron77 2024-03-27 03:33:20)

I've just released what I'm tentatively calling Version 1 of both my Describe Screenshot and Describe Photo shortcuts.

They can both be found on their new dedicated site!

Some of the new changes include:
1. conversations:  You can now reply to the descriptions you are provided.  to do so, press the okay button on the description's alert. Have nothing to say? No worries! Hit cancel, and the Shortcut will leave you in peace!
2. Slash commands: When typing a reply, you can use /save with either Shortcut, and the last photo or screenshot taken will be saved to the photo album of your choosing. Additionally, Describe Photo also has /add, which will allow you to take another picture to accompany your replies.
3. Describe Photo now supports the Apple Vision Pro! If you run the shortcut on Vision Pro, it will grab the latest photo from your camera roll rather than having you take one. This is because the Shortcuts app on Vision Pro doesn't support taking photos in shortcuts. If you intend to use this shortcut with other smart glasses or prefer to take your photos in the Camera app, you can make grabbing the latest photo the default behavior in the set up screen.

That's everything. Share and Enjoy! smile

2024-03-26 12:00:15

Whya re you pointing both links to a retina hub login page? How do we download this? Is it on the app store?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2024-03-26 17:01:35

Ugh. I didn't realize Routinehub required people to log in... That's annoying!!!
These are Shortcuts for the Apple Shortcuts app, which works on iOs, iPad OS, Mac Os, Vision OS... yeah they work just about everywhere.

Problem is shortcuts are shared via iCloud links and those links take you directly to the shortcut which makes writing documentation impossible unless you use a site like Routinehub.
Give me an hour or two... Think I'm gonna set up a Github pages site for them.