2023-09-12 16:08:18 (edited by edern 2024-04-22 13:15:41)

Hello all!

I'm proud to present a new audio game: "Advance Wars: Days of ruin - Audio version". As mentionned in the name, it is an accessible, audio adaptation of the Nintendo DS opus "Days of ruin" from the licence "Advance Wars", developped by Intelligent Systems and edited by Nintendo. All musics, some sound designs and global concept belong to Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. It is a tactical battle style game inwhich you have to recruit, move, manage and fight units to defeat your foes. As a solo game, your opponents and allies are played by AI. For now, the following modes are available:

- Campaign mode (incomplete): A set of maps made to learn game rules step by step, while following some characters story.
- Classic mode: Many maps ready to be played.
- Custom mode: Create your own maps with an ingame editor. You can easily share your creations by sharing files.

The game is only playable on Windows, and currently playable with those languages: French, english, simplified chinese.

The game folder contains a readme file where all rules and caracteristics are explained, as well as hotkeys used through the differents interfaces. An auto-updater allow you to install new versions in one click.

Please bear in mind this is only a beta version. There are still bugs to fix, improvements to add and balance to think. If you have any question or constructive feedback, do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Thank you, and i hope you'll enjoy the game!

Download link for version 1.0.9: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6p0h5vzh … b&dl=1

PS: Don't forget to uncompress the game folder before launching it. If you encounter a bug, please send me the last entry in the error.log file at folder's root.

2023-09-12 16:28:56

Wow! Really liking the look of this, just trying the campaign mode.
I'm afraid I'm running into a serious bug.

I just start chapter 2, I move the blue infantry to c3, then the next scene begins with the soldiers promising to turn up and help. I hit O to check objectives and the game just suddenly closes on me.
I hope this gets fixed, the campaign mode with missions and stories looks fantastic.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2023-09-12 17:37:30

This sounds so interesting, I wish I could play it, however, I encountered a bug that prevents me from doing that. When I press enter on advance wars.exe file nothing happens, no new window opens and there's no new process in the taskbar. Tried running it as admin but got the same result, please have a look into this.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2023-09-12 17:59:57

@dark Thank you! I'm sorry about this bug. As a beta, the game surely is full of problems. I try to test as best as I can, but it's unavoidable, I guess. For now, the campaign mode only has two chapters. I plane to create much more, but the process is rather long, especially about translation (as you can see, English is not my native language big_smile).

@mastodont Oh, i'm sorry. If you see an error.log file in your game folder, could you tell me its content? I do not understand this bug. Are you on Ios or Linux?

2023-09-12 18:31:34

I have the same as in message 3. when I press enter on the file.exe, then nothing happens. the game does not start, and there is no error.log file in the game folder. I really want to try this game too.

2023-09-12 18:36:58

I don't know if that's the reason, and i forgot to write the information in my first message, but the game is only for windows os, because of the dll used.

2023-09-12 18:40:03

I have windows 10

2023-09-12 18:45:38

I'm quite puzzled. I tested the game on several PC, and all were fine. I don't understand why there is no error displayed or created in a log, and i'm sorry about that.

2023-09-12 18:56:56 (edited by SirBadger 2023-09-12 18:59:52)

working fine on my windows 10 PC. Only issue so far is I couldn't switch the language to English. I got round it by overwriting the French translation files with the English ones. Probably a stupid thought, but are the people who can't run it extracting all the files or trying to run it from inside the zip archive? Long shot but would explain it.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2023-09-12 19:04:57

I updated the game version to choose, by default, English language. I apologize for that. When editting options, it is necessary to save, not just close the menu.

2023-09-12 19:22:30

Oh I get it. I guess the save was in french so I didn't know what it was.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2023-09-12 19:38:55

Love this game, beat the campaign sad only two chapters. can't wait for more.

2023-09-12 19:51:19

@edern, I'm afraid I couldn't' even finish chapter 2, because the game quit every time I tried to see what the next objective was, so hope this bug gets fixed soon, the story and setting look really interesting.

For the game starting in French, though my French is pretty terrible, I was at least able to work out where the game settings were and change the language to English big_smile.

To be fair to native French speakers though, you might consider doing what Crazy party does, and either having two versions of the game, or a language choice at start-up.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2023-09-12 19:57:58

I always wanted to play an advance wars game. Will wait for this to be in a more complete state before trying, but I will follow this thread with interest. Congrats on the project.

2023-09-12 20:21:43

@BlindWolf Thank you! I'll try to add new chapters quickly.
@dark I fixed this bug in the last version, sorry about that.
@kenshira By more complete state, do you mean the campaign mode? Except that, all days of ruin content is already implemanted throughout classic and custom mode.

2023-09-12 20:56:59

Yes, the campaign is what I'm most interested in.

2023-09-12 22:40:45

yeah, the campaign is teaching how to play the game.  I try the classic, and well didn't know what to do.  Guess I need to read the readme to learn all the other commands.

2023-09-12 23:18:45

Glad the bug's fixed.

For me, more campaigns would be awesome, not only to learn to play the game on random maps with different opponents, but also because the world and story is an interesting one, and always gives an incentive to play on with the game.

2023-09-13 00:30:52

This looks awesome and I'm going to enjoy messing with it. Thanks so much for the hard work.

2023-09-13 00:48:51 (edited by zkline 2023-09-13 01:25:32)

Okay, just confirming it's really neat. I'm honestly surprised no one did this before. I've heard good things about this series.

Just finished both campaign chapters so far and can't wait for more.

2023-09-13 02:20:36

run into the same bug as well. The game won't open, but when I run it as an admin it displays the program has stop working and windows is checking for a solution thing. No error.log though

best regards, muhammad chafid

2023-09-13 02:26:03

Weird. I wondered if people were maybe being tripped up by Windows defender or something.

2023-09-13 02:49:30

no, I disabled windows defender and the game still didn't work

best regards, muhammad chafid

2023-09-13 02:56:10

I'm quite confused. It runs fine on boht comptuers 've tried thus far.

I wonder if it's a language or locale issue, or something to do with the Python tooling. I hope that we can figure out what's behind this.

2023-09-13 05:25:32

The bug of this game is that it does not open: please fix