2023-01-26 12:31:42

Hey guys,
I found a message from the audiogames.net team they posted recently regarding what will happen today. It was posted on the audiogames.net facebook page. The message reads as follows:
Dear everyone,
Today we will temporarily turn the AudioGames forum in maintenance mode. The transition of the Audiogames forum into maintenance mode is an exciting step forward for the community. The move to a new server will not only improve the website, but also give moderators more control and influence over the site. This is a big undertaking, as the forum contains a vast amount of posts (over 700k posts!), but it is necessary for the future growth and development of the  community. In the end, this maintenance period will be worth it as it will lead to a better user experience for all members. So, let's be patient and stay excited for the changes to come!
While we understand that the short notice may be surprising, we apologize for any inconvenience and want to assure our community that this migration is necessary in order to keep the forum running smoothly and continue to provide a valuable resource for all members. Our old host has discontinued support for certain software, and we have to migrate the website before the end of the month to ensure its continued operation. We are working diligently and tirelessly to make this transition as seamless as possible, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we work towards a better future for the Audiogames community.
Richard and Sander

2023-01-26 13:54:27

Why didn't they post that here? I didn't even know they had a Facebook page. That aside I'm glad we're going to finally see the long awaited migration!

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-01-26 15:14:55

Hi JayJay,
It is on the front page and in the news forum!
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4757 … ter-today/
Stay tuned, thanks for your patience....

2023-01-26 16:22:06

When I came to this topic, I half-expected it to be a troll and the original post date on Facebook to be from 2014 or something lol.
Very glad for the updates and site migration!

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-01-26 19:58:13

Same, actually. I'm glad it's being done though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-26 22:39:36

@3, aha! I didn't see it there. Thanks for this and best of luck.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-01-26 22:57:04

OK...the migrated test is now stable. I will run the migration tomorrow in the morning (9:00am CET).

2023-01-28 01:33:44

The migration is complete. I'm waiting for Carter to update the sub domain for forum.audiogames.net

2023-01-28 18:23:52

I thought the forum had gone when I went to forum.audiogames.net, as that domain isn't a forum anymore. Not sure why it was changed to newforum.audiogames.net.

2023-01-28 18:45:40

post 8 explains it

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-28 21:47:24

Domain redirect is in working order. I'm actively trying to fix a few errors under the new environment, so things might naturally be a little unstable for a time. Please holler if something appears to be amiss.

2023-01-28 23:11:27

@cartertemm
Does this mean that ownership has transferred as well or?  I suppose more info on that will be given later though.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2023-01-29 16:47:26

Hello. Will we eventually be migrating away from PanBB, or is that still the forum software which AGNet will be using for the foreseeable future? Thanks.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2023-01-29 17:02:15

I almost forgot about this, because it happened last night when I was tired, but I think I may have crashed the site or something. I used the search, the ordinary one, not advanced, and typed in, "Microsoft flight simulator", and it went dead. I couldn't even come back to the forum index or anything.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-01-30 19:27:36 (edited by Kevan 2023-01-30 19:39:13)

I crashed it for a minute or two when editing a post in the off-topic room.
Also searching is broken, I searched for MistWorld and the site became unavailable for a few minutes and CloudFlare gave me the 524 error. The second time I searched, the site became unavailable in other browser windows for a couple minutes, but the search page came back saying no hits.

2023-01-30 20:42:05

@13 don't think we're seeing a change in forum software or up-to-date forum software any time soon. Good luck on running on out-of-date forum software yall. I've already explained it once in another thread and I ain't going into much detail here but all I'll say is that I know forum software that has features that a lot of us want. Notifications for private messages for example? and so on and so forth. more security? Maybe it will be a pain to migrate accounts and such but... Oh I don't know, all I'm sayin is there is way better, more modernized forum software out there that is like, 10 times way better. And I wouldn't say all of this if I couldn't use it myself or have tested stuff out. I'm not gunna keep going on any more because I know that these plans are not forth coming however, Just sayin'.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2023-01-31 05:12:18

Jonnyboy1991 wrote:

@13 don't think we're seeing a change in forum software or up-to-date forum software any time soon. Good luck on running on out-of-date forum software yall. I've already explained it once in another thread and I ain't going into much detail here but all I'll say is that I know forum software that has features that a lot of us want. Notifications for private messages for example? and so on and so forth. more security? Maybe it will be a pain to migrate accounts and such but... Oh I don't know, all I'm sayin is there is way better, more modernized forum software out there that is like, 10 times way better. And I wouldn't say all of this if I couldn't use it myself or have tested stuff out. I'm not gunna keep going on any more because I know that these plans are not forth coming however, Just sayin'.

It certainly looks like you've done a pretty significant level of research on this subject! If you don't mind, would you be willing to share a link to your own forum? I'd love to check out what a culmination of such well thought out ideas and hands on experiences has to offer!

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2023-01-31 10:02:09

I agree with #16 LOL

2023-01-31 20:05:40

@17, are you guys able to do staging on the new server? I'd imagine so. and if that's the case, there are two forum software that I'd recommend. discourse which you can find at http://discourse.com and their github for doing self-hosting of which you would want is https://github.com/discourse/discourse
Another one is phpbb which you can find at http://phpbb.com
Both of these forum software get updated frequently. I can send you links to forums that I have running both systems, but be ware, there ain't much on there. Hell, I wouldn't mind yall having admin access on these just so yall can have a play but I'd set up a staging environment if you can that way you can do whatever you'd like wit out  breaking this forum at all. Here is the link running discourse.
http://forums.jonathancandler.com
Here's the link running phpbb. http://musiciansforum.jonathancandler.com/
This should give you a general idea of what these forum software is like. If you want my honest opinion though, I do love, love discourse better though just because it's better accessibility wise while yet, phpbb not as accessible but you can still get around quite well. forums are laid out in a table like fashion and that's really, the only thing I don't like about phpbb, however, everything else is not bad. admin panel in both forum software are not bad at all. So, give them both a try and let me know what you think. Remember, first two links are links to their respective home pages and github pages for discourse. There are other forum software out there that I tried but didn't like them at all. Oh and did I mention that discourse has a one click updater in your admin panel and their own API? As far as I know as of yet, phpbb don't have that and I know you can intigrate phpbb into other systems but have not played around with neither yet. So that's another thing for yall to think about hehehehe. Anyways, have fun and have a good play. You'll need it. Quite honestly, I'm a bit surprised that yall didn't know of any other forum software other than pun. Would have thought someone on the mod and admin team would have done a bit of research. Anyways, your choice if yall wanna switch or not but all I'll say is, quite better if you do switch if you don't wanna keep running on out-of-date forum software. You'll run into problems later down the line if you do decide to stay and this forum software don't get updates hardly, if at all from what I know. Speaking of which, time to update mine! Hehehehehehe. Anyways, take it or leave it...

2023-01-31 20:17:39

Assuming that we don't know or have any experience with any other forum software is definitely an interesting take, especially when considering the following:

1. Three of our current administrators have coding chops, to one degree or another
2. Most of us have visited other forums, have seen how they behave differently, and consequently know that other pieces of software exist for running a forum
3. We know that a lot of members here really, intensely dislike change
4. We also know that you can do a lot to add to even old, outdated software to make it function better, especially with said aforementioned chops

Piece of advice, Jonnyboy. It's perfectly well and good to expound upon the various expertise you bring to the table, particularly as you were encouraged to do so in response to your criticism. What's less okay is to make sweeping statements about the competency or ignorance of the staff team that you're purportedly trying to help with all of your info. Assuming we don't know other software or didn't do our research is pretty presumptive of you, and definitely gives off a bit of a holier-than-thou vibe; perhaps this is why your own forum examples, by your own admission, don't have much happening, while this community is generally thriving? It's just a thought. Speaking personally, I appreciate information and well-grounded criticism, but could do with less assumption and judgment, please.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-01-31 21:00:11

@20, remember, we're talking about forum software, not how big a community can get. I wasn't lying in saying there wasn't much on my stuff that I posted and if I was, you'd know right off the bat. If I came off as so called, assuming stuff and so called, what you said, holeyer than thou, I'm sorry, but I don't know, sounded from at 17 said, staff done little to know research. Kind of why I said what I said. It, well, gave off that kind of vibe. Could I have worded it differently? sure but, oh I don't know, I honestly was just seeing how I see it and saying what was on my brain. I'm sorry if I was being so called well, honest from my point of view. Good day and I will be done with this convo. PS, I'm well aware that there are coders on the team who are vary skilled in what they do, hell, I'm friends with one of them and talked with him for a bit on TT way back in the day and he sure knows his stuff. Sure, we can fix stuff and even code in new things. I'm aware of that, but oh, I've said it in another thread and guess I'll say it here. It's like putting a band aid on old and out-of-date software just because you feel like it and call it good. I'm also aware that some people, as you said it, don't  like change, but you know what? Sometimes change is needed. It's what keeps us grow into better humans. If we all for example, stick to the same thing forever and ever, same shit, different day and to me, I kind of find that boring as a human myself. However, that's just me. Notice I went off topic? That's because I did. Hehehehehe. Now, getting back to your regularly scheduled program.

2023-01-31 21:11:31

21: I don't think you were supposed to answer the clapback, let alone so nicely tongue
You didn't do anything wrong honestly.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2023-01-31 22:25:24

@22 wouldn't have thought so and thanks. It's okay honestly. Not the first time I got shitted on for something I well, wasn't in the wrong for but oh well. Staff will always be Gods right? Yep... It's why I keep my shit whole shut most of the time because well, ah you know, AG.net staff knows all and well, when someone don't see anything they don't like from another person's post, and I'm not talking from my own posts, other peoples also, they get flack for it. Look, I wasn't attacking anyone, I wasn't doing anything harmful, just speaking my mind, that was indeed all more, was I trying to make assumptions but that was the vibe I got here and as stated before, that's why I said what I said. I guess sometimes I'm too nice of a person. Maybe I aught to step up my game a bit hehehehehehehehehehehe smile

2023-01-31 22:28:58

Honestly, as someone who has accounts that are over a decade old on two other Forums that run on phpBB, assuming a switch to that software is possible without dumping legacy posts, I think it would be a major downgrade over whatever this forum is using. Heck, I'd say this forum has by far the easiest to navigate with a screen reader layout of any forum I've used in the decade since I went blind.

Also, I don't understand why people are equating software being old with it being bad.

2023-01-31 22:51:20

@24 while It's true that this forum software is great with screenreaders, Oh I don't know, being an IT guy myself, was always raised on the fact that keeping your shit up-to-date is better than not. Actually, it's why I recommended discourse over phpbb now as it's more accessible. Feature set wise, and code bass wise, it's up-to-date with latest internet guidelines and all that stuff. Was just giving phpbb another option as I went to that first before I knew of anything discourse but still usable and doable all the same. Anyways my points still stands and me ain't changing my opinions.