2023-02-04 19:51:58

@45 make the new software look like home? What indeed do you mean by your logic in this matter. Guess some of you are really upset and resistant when it comes to change. Listen, it doesn't have to look exactly like this at all. No. Would you rather want a nice looking software that's more mainstream, modern and accessible at the same time while having a lot of the features yall have been asking for that is already packed into said software or something like this that is half broken, old, has a shit load of problems with security and oh, I don't know, has the ability to break when new features may or may not get added and could take a long time to add in the first place? I'm voting for the former here! Plus, if we're trying to appeal to more of the mainstream sited community now, it's important to make this look visually appealing as well. At least that's what I would want. I'm going to go off a hunch and say this software we got right now don't have a modern visual feel to it at all and people, will wonder. But, I could be totally wrong on all counts. We've been trying to help here and I'm about done with this whole discussion. and I feel like I'm repeating myself. Something of which, I shouldn't have to do at all! A word to staff. Don't come crying to me when you decide to stay on this old thing and things start to break and everything else in between and I'll have to say... I told you so. Kay? Kay. All this to say, at least think about what I've been trying to tell yall. Just imagine. PS, I know I keep saying I'm done but you know how that goes. Yeah, now I'm really done with this Unless someone responds to me with questions, I'll most likely politely, nicely answer but other than that... Done. BTW, This is like trying to get someone to move away from BGT, this is exactly what this is beginning to look like. Fact, it's exactly what it's looking like and that ain't lookin' good neither!

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2023-02-04 20:27:27

Don't worry, Jonnyboy. I can pretty safely say we won't "come crying" to you or anyone else, regardless of how this shakes down.

Seriously, y'all who don't like the way I come across at times need to get a load of this dude.

Meanwhile, we have a forum to run, new mods to hopefully vet and add, bugs to fix, and only so much time in a day, given that those of us with code chops have limited time and *gasp* need to make a living, too. We've done the first step in migrating to a setup where the admins now have back-end server access to address serious problems. You want to talk about staging? This is the first step in a multi-step process which absolutely should not end here. If that's not enough for you, then that's more your issue than ours, and is growing proof - if it were needed - that no matter what is done to improve this community (be it improving rules, being more consistent about certain behaviours, migrating to a new host) , there is always going to be a certain crowd who will move the goal posts in an attempt to find fault...or invent it, as the case may be.

When we know when our next step is happening, and what exactly it entails, we will certainly let you know. In the meantime, perhaps consider that availability and uncertainty and multiple ideas being floated at once means that we aren't 100% sure of exactly where we're going and how we get there yet. Championing transparency, as we do, does not mean you should be privy to our every deliberation at every step; it simply means that as and when we reach consensus on things and know where we're going, we will try to include you in the process and keep you abreast of what's coming. Again with those pesky changing expectations. I mean, what's next? Do we have to publish our discord meetings and show you a read-only archive of all the discussion that happens on our server in order to demonstrate our transparency? Want our bank records and spending histories, too, just so you know we aren't getting money on the down low? No, sir. None of it. Let's dispense with the notion that we're keeping anyone in the dark, deliberately or otherwise. Let's remember that it can sometimes be difficult to coordinate multiple people with overlapping skillsets, and that the webmasters are hard to pin down at the best of times. Let's also remember that when and if we do change forum software, or make other upgrades, we want to do it with a minimum amount of disruption and frustration for forum users, some of whom might be overwhelmed by sudden and potentially unexplained changes, and many of whom are apt to run across bugs and glitches that we didn't see coming and only have so much ability to react to. When you have a small team whose availability is dicey, it pays to do things slowly, methodically and with great care. Please remember that.

I won't be posting in here again unless I need to issue warnings for some reason. There's no threat of that at this point, so don't take that as a hint of things to come, but I've said all I need to here, and I'm once again reminded of how thankless a job this can be when certain voices choose to speak up. Again, I enjoy different perspectives, and actively seek suggestions made in good faith. But the constant "you're doing it wrong" starts to feel like backseat moderation, past a certain point, and let me tell you, it's fucking tiresome. If you're really dedicated to the things you're suggesting, if you think you can do a better job than we are (or hey, even if you think you can just be an asset to the team in some way), moderator applications are open, and we're looking for just your sort of talent.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-02-05 02:17:30

Jonnyboy1991 wrote:

Plus, if we're trying to appeal to more of the mainstream sited community now, it's important to make this look visually appealing as well. At least that's what I would want. I'm going to go off a hunch and say this software we got right now don't have a modern visual feel to it at all and people, will wonder. But, I could be totally wrong on all counts. We've been trying to help here and I'm about done with this whole discussion. and I feel like I'm repeating myself. Something of which, I shouldn't have to do at all! A word to staff. Don't come crying to me when you decide to stay on this old thing and things start to break and everything else in between and I'll have to say... I told you so. Kay? Kay. All this to say, at least think about what I've been trying to tell yall. Just imagine. PS, I know I keep saying I'm done but you know how that goes. Yeah, now I'm really done with this Unless someone responds to me with questions, I'll most likely politely, nicely answer but other than that... Done. BTW, This is like trying to get someone to move away from BGT, this is exactly what this is beginning to look like. Fact, it's exactly what it's looking like and that ain't lookin' good neither!

Sounds like a deal! You have my word that I will not come to you in tears when "things start to break and everything else in between". But in the meantime, can you do me a favour and at least help to staunch the flow of tears that pour fourth from my eyes when I scroll through the myriad of spelling, grammatical, and formatting mistakes on your jc-hosting.me website? Oh, and what's that you say? Yet more sobs of despair issuing from my tiny little voice box when I read and hear the sheer number of "mediocre customer service" complaints brought fourth against JC Hosting?
Ah man, someone get me some water. The ducts are drying up! Why! Whyyyyyy! It's not fair, it's not faiiiiiiir!

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2023-02-05 03:01:10

Okay, maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't noticed any of the half-brokenness of this forum some claim. Heck, the only thing that might be a glitch I can recall encountering is that if I type a really long post then tab back to the new posts page and click the new posts link on another thread, sometimes it acts like I left the forum and came back and jumps me past posts  that were posted since my last visit and to the first of posts posted during my current visit... and sorry if that sounds odd or doesn't make sense.

Also, considering how many sighted people complain everytime Microsoft overhauls the Windows UI or that there was a thread recently on another forum I frequent mostly about how Wikipedia changed their look for the first time since 2010 and people don't like it, and that forum has had several threads complaining about YouTube changing their layout over the years, I get the impression that most people, even sighted people care more about consistency of their user experience than they do about trendy design changes. And best I can recall, even before  I went blind, I was usually at least a bit annoyed when websites underwent major changes and appreciated sites that keep the same look and feel for years upon years.

ANd since I'm a Linux user, it might be worth noting that the Mate Desktop, as I understand it, exists because some people didn't like the changes the Gnome devs made for Gnome 3, so a group of users decided to take the final version of Gnome 2, rename it, and keep it up to date, and now Mate is up there with Gnome and KDE among the most widely used DEs on Linux systems(and might be the most widely used DE among blind Linux users).

2023-02-06 18:04:56

At Dgleks ok, making fun of someones typing and grammatical mistakes is fucking cheap, like really cheap, if someone else would do this on the forum the mod team would count this as personal attacks and hand out warnings or at least a caution. So, what will it be for you, caution or warning?

Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2023-02-06 18:48:20

Yeah I agree with this. I don't like rules for me but not for thee. Staff should lead by example, and that shouldn't include firing cheap shots at people, even if they are going over the top.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-02-06 18:54:51

Sorry @53, I'm going to go ahead and agree with 55 here. So, it's perfectly okay to state personal attacks on a person as a mod team but not for users of this forum? Real nice man, nice! You just made yourself look bad, this shit has nothing to do with jc-hosting. As of late for a while now, jc-hosting hasn't been my top priority as I have other life shit going on and I did state that as well as a whole shit load of stuff, stuff that I'm not proud of and stuff I'm wanting to work on in another topic on this forum I do believe just don't remember which one. So signups are slow but I do eventually get to them at some point. and why the fuck did you have to bring jc-hosting up at all! I think you need to issue yourself a warning for this shit. You need to sit down and rethink your staff position after this. And I think you need to hold yourself accountable for what you, just did! Note, I have not stated any personal attacks in this thread nore at least never intended on doing so, just stating honesty and if you, yourself don't like that, don't know what else to tell ya bud. Fact, I think some of you or at least, a couple, need to quit being so arrogant. Yeah, I don't like dealing with arrogant people at all. Some of yall really let this shit go way over your head and I ain't liking the way this is all shaping up! @53, I thought I had respect for ya man, fact I had a real nice post explaining all of that but now I'm rethinking that and kind of glad I got that post off my clipboard now. Thanks. Thanks a lot! You just made my day for making you, and the whole mod team look bad. Guess it's okay for the mods to make fun of people but not the other way around, if that's indeed the case, I guess time to have the rules a rewrite! Listen, If I see I get issued a warning and I see it within reason, I'll take a step back and make a mental note and take steps or at least try to not let the same shit happen. So yeah, go ahead right now and issue yourself a warning because, 1. You need it and 2. You kind of deserve it! We're done here! Clean up on aisle 9!

2023-02-06 19:00:59

mods: get bitchy and hostile over feedback.
Community: Here's some of that shit you're shoveling
Mods: Surprised Pikachu face.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2023-02-06 19:01:22

@57 Ugh. Can you please, please do what you said three times now and just leave this topic already? And yes, I agree that @53 was not a good way to deal with this.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2023-02-06 19:17:42

Na, didn't feel like it but I think that was a perfect way to end a convo. Listen, we ain't done until I say we're done hehehehehehehehe Lol. It's times like these you gotta stand up for yourself and would have left if said person didn't do what they did so yeah! That's the whole reason Why I did what I did. Guess I shouldn't say we're done anymore because guess, we're never done hmm?

2023-02-06 19:36:53

I don't agree with the staff on this one, but can we all just step back for a second and realize that jonnyboy's original post came off as being written like it was meant to stirr shit up? You can think that am ember of staff should know better than to throw gasoline on it or whatever, but Jonnyboy made assumptions before they were officially confirmed and wrote in a patronizing manner besides that.

Regarding comments in post 53, dgleks made comments about Jc-hosting, which is a hosting entity as the name implies. A hosting entity, and indeed any entity that deals with services that involve other users' data, should maintain a professional image which includes a lack of spelling and grammatical mistakes. I could swear we've been telling people to fix their pages and/or advertising material for their professional services by making proper use of the English language forever now without mod pushback. Pushback from mods comes more from when somebody makes fun of somebody's spelling and/or grammar in a casual context such as a post, which Dgleks did not do. I'd be interested if anybody has any case law (examples) of this being handled in the past couple years though, because I could be wrong. If I am, then yes Dgleks should get a warning but lots of us should also get warnings, in some cases several which would result in instant bans. And I think that would be very stupid.

2023-02-06 21:13:27

@Dgleks, with that amount of anger I'm almost inclined to think you're the lead dev of PanBB or something. Go have a snickers.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-02-06 21:49:38

Jonnyboy has been antagonizing the staff through this entire thread, so I get why they're heated about it. I also don't think just because you're a mod, you should lose the ability to defend yourself, but if the idea they want to promote is cutting down on toxicity, then responding in a like manner kind of isn't doing that. Let's be real, it's mockery, and they don't let us mock others, so the same should apply to them.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-02-06 23:00:40 (edited by Exodus 2023-02-06 23:06:36)

Yeah... I'd say it is fair to say that he has he has been antagonizing them pretty hard, but they went there first. Post 17 is just being hostile and bitchy for the sake of being hostile and bitchy. Probably could have left it at we're looking into several alternatives bla bla.
But they have form for this. Someone will say something they don't like, they get pissy, they respond in a hostile way that tiptoes juuuuuuust onto the line of telling them to go fuck themselves and when the clapback they earned comes in they start crying about thankless jobs, Baaaaaaaad faith, shifting the goalposts and so on. Frankly, if we weren't a captive audience this place would probably be dead

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2023-02-07 05:23:44

For those who didn't see over in the other topic (since News Room doesn't bump).

It is now possible to receive email notifications when someone sends you a private message. The option can be enabled by clicking on your profile and checking the box in settings. Please let us know if something isn't working as intended. I had every intention of ironing out search, but this took like twenty minutes, and work is still in progress to track down what may be adding the additional overhead. Apparently post updates and a few other more obscure features are also affected. Many leads, no hits ATM.
In the meantime, thanks for the reports, both in this thread and elsewhere! they're super helpful. No formal process exists to submit an issue (yet) - I'm keeping everything I do have in Markdown. But feel free to put them here or shoot one of us an email or send me a postcard with chocolate candies!

2023-02-07 05:41:10

@Carter, it seems as editting posts are also laggy and no, it's not my internet in that instanse. Thanks for keeping the ship floating.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-02-07 05:42:11

Great work Carter, much appreciated!
I am not sure if that's intentional or not, but the option was already enabled for me by default.

2023-02-07 07:06:11

Hey there captive audience! Listen up! smile

moderation:

Jonnyboy1991 is receiving a warning for generally stirring the pot by way of off-handed comments, assumptions and a few vaguely worded attacks stroon throughout.
While I highly appreciate the software descriptions and offer to let us look around (may take you up on that BTW), the insinuations that we hadn't considered other options, are entirely closed off to the idea, know all/are gods/benevolent dictators or whatever are not productive. You may not intend to attack or provoke other users, but when you speak your mind on paper (by self admission) sometimes things don't come across the way you think. Combined with your tone, half-hearted apologies and repetition... It doesn't paint a particularly good picture. In the future, I highly recommend reading your post before clicking the button with the same name. You can't assume everyone is going to take what you're saying at face value.

Dgleks is receiving a warning for personal attacks as well. This was a difficult one for me not because of rank, I actually tend to think it's good to demonstrate that absolutely no one is above our policies (BDFL haha!!!), but I originally read the post the same way Lucas did. The addition of the word "your":

Dgleks wrote:

I scroll through the myriad of spelling, grammatical, and formatting mistakes on your jc-hosting.me website?

provides room for interpretation of an attack on a person, vs attack on an entity, vs attack on a person directly or indirectly associated with an entity (my brain hurts). Obviously criticizing someone on the basis of their spelling or grammar is not OK under any circumstance. In fairness to him and for what it's worth, , Dgleks was the first to bring this topic and the fact that he may have overstepped to the team's attention. I think some would be surprised to realize just how common it is to have someone report a post where they felt provoked and fess up to their own mistakes in the process.
Again, bad precedent. But good reminder that we're all human, all have our days, and sometimes can't resist a little snark. Rules are rules.

end moderation

A few questions have arisen regarding forum/site permissions and ownership. Unfortunately I can't go into crystal clear detail right now as it's TBD and conversations are under way. What I can say is that I've been given root privileges over the server including the codebase of the site, forum and DB. We essentially have the authority to make whatever changes the community may wish, within reason. When we tackle the remaining DB bottlenecks, which are currently responsible for extended wait times submitting posts or performing searches, everything will be version  controlled. If that works out, five minutes and we get reliable staging too.
At this point, staff members will be given access to resources on an as needed (and wanted) basis. As a result the current hangup is really just ensuring interoperability between the site and DB. After that? Well... there's a pretty massive list of things to juggle alongside my dayjob and side business (go me!) NTM hectic lives of the hosts and probably anyone I'd consider trusting with access.
In addition to the new feature today and backend/admin related bug fixes, first priority after staging is integrating the reg system to make it not suck (I've already extended the expiration time and been checking with greater regularity, baby steps here). Followed by other necessary stability improvements, faster and more frequent automated backups, etc. After that I'll probably poll to see what the community considers most important.

Another question that's been on many minds: forum software. At the moment, we don't have any immediate plans to switch away from a PHPBB based system like Pun/Pan BB or its derivatives. Not to say we're entirely opposed, maybe I'll be the one to start a fuss some sunny day after one too many lines of 2005 PHP. Until then, what we have is stable (it's carried us this far) and surprisingly extendable given the stack--hooks everywhere for all the things!

Jeffery touched on a point that I'd kind of like to reiterate. There's state of the art and feature rich, and then there's light weight, familiar and stable.
IMO here lies the disconnect. Most of you advocating for the former are by and large pretty used to frequenting websites with less than stellar accessibility (probably because you have to, or maybe your OS allows for doing so efficiently). There are obviously going to be those who deviate from the rule, but the one thing our site has going for it is that it works. And works literally anywhere on PC, mobile devices and hell braille notetakers (some of our users actually still rely on those, fun fact). It's just about as vanilla HTML as you can get. Discourse (admittedly) still has some issues that we'd have to work around. We as in the tech people, as well as the "alt+f4? hmm?" people. Course very possibly it's advanced to the point of templating and I just don't know.

Speaking personally, since I have a super busy personal situation, I first want to see what can be done with a few bandaids so to speak. If the only choice for our time is another piece of software, that's probably where we'll be forced to go. After seeing the technical pieces, especially site -> forum and account integrations, I'm not currently convinced of that.

I suppose only time will tell. I don't have the best track record for prior planning... This did not age well:

May 2021 Carter (open letter thread) wrote:

A realistic timeline is roughly three months or so before you start to see any monumental changes. Hopefully it's less, but this isn't a small undertaking by any stretch of the imagination. There are many variables that must be accounted for, and we're going to tread carefully to ensure the best possible outcome for everyone. There will regardless be forward movement, eventually.

I don't have the best track record because frankly I'm not talking to potential shareholders, and I've learned that analysis paralysis means I might not even start and if I do I'll second guess half of my previous decisions. Nope, far better to learn what you can, go with a few hunches in places, outline and shoot at whatever moves. This is to say, if I am forced to eat my words later, so frickin be it.

2023-02-07 09:04:28

Moderation:
Exodus, this is an official caution. Of your last ten to fifteen posts or so, many seem pretty much tailor-made to provoke a reaction, though none actually break the rules. This is precisely the behaviour you cited as being what we're apparently doing. I disagree to some extent, but projection is a problem in this case. A caution only, because we don't think this is the sort of sniping that's healthy but we recognize that you did not straight-up break rules. This behaviour spans multiple topics, usually where I am involved, so this was a decision supported by several other team members; I would not have felt right leveraging this completely on my own.

I think it is fair to say that this thread got more out of control, on multiple fronts, than it ever should have. Let's keep it in better rein from here on out. That means all of us.

I'm out again, as everything I felt needed saying has already been said.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2023-02-07 13:19:43

IMO it makes more sense to move to something that has features built in that the community wants, hat takes less time overall to manage and is a lot more stable and easier and can be made to work with screenreaders. There is, IMHO, no reason a vocal minority that go but but but but but I don't want change, should dictate how or what software the forum runs on. Pun/Pan miss several arguably critical features and every moment spent coding one in is IMHO, more proof how behind and basic Pun/PanBB is as a software set for a forum.

Personally, I am on the fence about Discourse, only because it clashes with screenreader keys and has its own inbuilt hotkeys, however if, say, something like software X can be made to work, and has things that the community needs (say a system to handle warnings built in, a PM notification and other things), I feel it'd be in the long term interests to move to that software. After all. I've pointed people with working eyes to a Pun/PanB forum, and got told how bad it looks, and even the themes out there don't fix what are, IMO, huge, huge flaws with Pun/PanBB

I've my own thoughts on what a forum needs, and heading navigation for posts isn't even in the top 10-20 of things though. So I'll ask....what are the absolutet top priority features?

I'd assume...
1. A relaible, built in working moderation system

2. A working PM system with notifications already baked into the software

3. A slick, appealing to both screenreader users and eyeball having users, forum possibly with a range of skins to pick from. I've seen it on other forums where you can pick from skins in a combo box and it applies then reloads the forum.
Personally, I feel, and have felt for a long time, PunBB/PanBB no longer cuts it compared to things like Reddit or other forums with infinitely more features that make those forums a lot easier to use

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-02-07 16:24:28

I think it'll eventually come to moving to a new software package, not because the community is screaming for it, but because I believe maintaining this one will become increasingly onerous until it hits a critical mass. But, if not, ah well, we're slowly gaining things back we lost, which is good. Sometimes we just gotta let things play out.

End racism
End division
Become united

2023-02-15 01:21:23

Hi all,
I know this is a very simple post, but I'd just like to come in and say we had a very productive staff meeting indeed.

2023-02-16 01:04:02

Wow, I'm so happy I still come to this forum. Where else would I go to witness adults behaving like children on a daily bases?

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.