2022-01-22 02:33:35 (edited by Shadowcat 2022-01-22 04:31:06)

After a few more minutes and many reloads, here's what I found.
Holding tab does in fact keep scrolling, yeah. That's both during the loads where menu speech actually works, and the ones where it doesn't. Note that I can't actually see the cursor, I'm basing this off menu memorization. And the fact that when I can get it to read, that's what I'm hearing.
A single tab does not move more than once, ever.
If you load the game and do have menu speech, going in and out of menus doesn't break it. The opposite applies, too. You're not gonna magically get menu items read out again if they didn't start out being read out. That by itself makes me personally think something's happening at startup, but I also know nothing about actual programming so I could be totally off here.
It seems like for every game reload where you actually get menu items to read, you'll get at least 2 or 3 where you don't.
Edit: As it turns out, holding tab does in fact rapidly scroll in the older version, too. I still had it on my new laptop which I haven't entirely switched to just yet.
Hope some of this is helpful.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-22 12:46:59

From starting it up, no menu speech, alt+tab and exiting it...

2022-01-22T10:42:53.472797Z  INFO winit::platform_impl::platform::x11::window: Guessed window scale factor: 1   
MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

2022-01-22T10:42:53.590742Z  INFO bevy_render::renderer: AdapterInfo { name: "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)", vendor: 32902, device: 16018, device_type: IntegratedGpu, backend: Vulkan }
2022-01-22T10:42:53.722006Z  INFO tts::backends::speech_dispatcher: Initializing SpeechDispatcher backend   
2022-01-22T10:43:05.677208Z ERROR blackout::error: Attempted to queue a state change, but there was already a state queued.

So yeah looks to me like something's going on when you don't get speech. I didn't get anything with the output in terminal until I alt tabbed and got the messag about a state change. But curiously...I got the text about tabb/shift+tab regardless

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-01-22 15:52:01

Thanks for all these bug reports. Sorry for the huge stability drop right after launch--this engine upgrade would have happened at some point so it's probably better to get it over with sooner than later. Rip the band-aid off more quickly I suppose...

I just filed https://github.com/mvlabat/bevy_egui/issues/59 with my findings, and am hoping either for a fix or for a pointer to where to fix it myself. I think I'm also seeing the intermittent "speech doesn't appear at all regardless of how fast you press tab" issue. Pretty sure I know what's happening there, and I'll get a fix for that concurrently.

Sorry folks. This new engine release has a lot going for it, but it changed some behaviors I counted on and now I'm having to chase those down and fix them.

2022-01-22 18:10:00

@Nolan,
Stupidity follows:
Something seems not quite right for me in the systems.rs file, however I never worked with RUST, so maybe this is because this language is so different from what I know before. See this snippet:
        for ev in input_events.ev_keyboard_input.iter() {
            if let Some(key) = ev.key_code.and_then(bevy_to_egui_key) {
                let egui_event = egui::Event::Key {
                    key,
                    pressed: match ev.state {
                        ElementState::Pressed => true,
                        ElementState::Released => false,
                    },
                    modifiers,
                };
                focused_input.raw_input.events.push(egui_event);

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-01-22 19:03:15

Also it's not a 100% guaraunteed crash when it's  a game over. It only seems to happen intermittently for me. I actually feel like this is one case where espeak or espeak-NG fits very, very well, but I keep coming back to my filter idea

For example, I had a situation with the correct exit (which I'm not sure how to use), and then five or six exits. I want to hide the correct exit from the look results so I can focus on exploring without having to sit through where the correct exit is every time.

Maybe as an idea, only have it show up or play the alarm sound once all the robots in a level are defeated?

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-22 21:19:25

this game is not possible to play for me, it crashes during game play.
these crashes are ramdom

2022-01-22 21:29:59

Have you tried running from a command prompt/terminal and seeing if you get any log output in said command prompt or terminal? That's how I got my last few error reports. Also I've had less crashes after turning off the pitch lowering options

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-22 21:42:55

@JaseK I sense some confusion...

JaceK wrote:

I had a situation with the correct exit (which I'm not sure how to use), and then five or six exits. I want to hide the correct exit from the look results so I can focus on exploring without having to sit through where the correct exit is every time.

Maybe as an idea, only have it show up or play the alarm sound once all the robots in a level are defeated?

Those situations where you see 5 or 6 exits is a little annoying when you're not used to it. Here are some spoilers which I hope will help you navigate. Note that these are purely from my own experience, so I might not be explaining this the best way but I'll try:
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
So let's start with the basics. Levels are constructed of interconnected rooms that are 20X20 tiles, to my knowledge. Exits can be in the center of either of the 4 walls. So one room can have a maximum of 4 exits from it.

Those situations where you see 5 or 6 exits is the result of your l scan being able to see into adjacent rooms. Any time you see something more than 20 tiles away, it's guaranteed to be in another room, and you can ignore it if it doesn't concern you. On the other hand, hearing about stuff in adjacent rooms does help with planning ahead, so it's something to get used to.

If you want to filter the information to the current room, try to stand in the absolute center of the room, which you can do by taking 10 steps after going through an exit. That'll at least filter your l scan, or mostly filter it anyway. You'll still hear about items/enemies from other rooms but it'll keep the exit count down (you'll only see exits from the current room).

Now for navigation advice:
The alarm sounds represent the correct rooms/exits which lead you out of the level. Follow the alarms, and you'll be on the correct path.

The so-called incorrect exits are represented by a quiet humming sound. Going through those exits will take you to side paths. These side paths are mainly there to give you items. All side paths, however, will lead you to dead ends eventually.

Robots are scattered throughout the maise. Some are on the correct path, others are on the side paths. Thus, you have to explore every room to get to them all.

One more potentially confusing thing: The correct path will update as you explore. For example, let's say you take a side path which leads you to some items, but after that, you find a dead end. This is extremely common btw. So now you want to get back. Since the path always updates, that previously incorrect set of exits you took will be correct on your way back. This is a great help once you get used to it; again just follow the alarms and you'll progress the level.

I probably suck at explaining this. I think navigating is more a matter of feeling out how the game presents your immediate surroundings to you and getting a sense of how to use that information to plan ahead. It's something I definitely was confused with for about a day and then things just started clicking into place in a way that I can't really describe. Lol

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-22 22:02:20 (edited by JaceK 2022-01-22 22:03:34)

No no, I get all that.

I'm saying I feel it'd be nice if the alarm sound only started up once all the robots are defeated. It may be a settings/headphones issue, or an isssue with the fact I'm running the Linux .appimage, but for me at least, the alarm sound is louder than, say, the wall warnings, or the robot dialog, or the shot sounds so I have everything drowned out by the alarm sounds.

Hence why I'd personally want to have a way to filter that and the correct exit on and off so it doesn't drown everything else out.

I'm wondering though if robots are meant to leave the room they are in though? I ran from a room after luring a robot to hunt me and it didn't seem to want to leave th room it was in, it was a straight shot for both me and the robot to the exit I went through, but the robot didn't follow.

Is that because I was on level 1, fighting dumbasses and harder robots actually do wander aorund/leae rooms/etc?

EDIT: Alarm sound, not the correct exit and alarm sound, the actual exit on its own isn't that bad on the look results really

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-22 23:29:55 (edited by musicalman 2022-01-22 23:35:57)

@109, the alarms shouldn't be that loud? Then again that's subjective, so maybe what's fine for me is too loud for you? Or there might be something else going on. Idk.

So what you're asking is that the correct exit alarms be replaced with the incorrect exit sound, until all the robots are defeated? I mean it could work, but it would make it harder for those who just want to blaze through and only kill robots which get in their way.

As for robots not chasing you out of the room they're in: That's mostly a thing with dumbasses yeah. They can't see far. In my experience, they're far more likely to see my bullets than they are to see me directly, and I don't think they give chase until they see you, or until you start killing their friends at which point swarms of robots will come to investigate.

2022-01-25 17:14:10

New version up. macOS builds incoming as I type this, and I'll have the full changelog up on itch in a bit. Microsoft builds are pending certification as usual, but should get waved through in a few hours.

This should resolve the intermittent speech in menus. Still feels a bit jumpy to me when tabbing, but I'd like others' opinions and won't hold it up any further. I also fixed the crashes introduced when porting the speaker test to the new engine version. I'm also including even more debug information/symbols, so hopefully my Sentry crash reports will actually include file/line numbers now. smile

Gotta do paid contracting work this week, but I'll try sneaking in a bugfix or 8 if I find time. Next week is all Lights Out, though. If I can stabilize everything after this engine update, I'd like to do a late week dev stream on Twitch. I'll post about it here, but Discord is probably the best place to get updates.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

2022-01-26 02:29:26

How do I update the version that I bought on Itch? I only see the demo downloads. Even though it tells me I own the game, it still has the buy for $9.95 link.

2022-01-26 04:04:15

Ok, Never mind on my last post. I got the update. But, I was on level 3 and right in the middle of killing a few robots, It crashed. It's to bad that the game doesn't at least save at the end of each level so that if the game does crash, we can start at the beginning of the level the game crashed on or that we stopped at to take care of life stuff.

2022-01-26 10:48:02

Well I never even got to the end of level1.
I was blasting dumbasses and it crashed.
Next time in I killed 1 dumbass  and it crashed.
Next time I was blasting away, killed several robots, stepped forward then it was out.
I should have kept v1.0 which never had these crashes.
Well anyway on the up side I pulled the folder open and wada you know all the sfx exist so I can view them.
How and why would a robot drink beer.
Also, I like the soundtrack and I like the fact I can play it outside the game.
Worth the cash just for the music alone.

2022-01-26 17:49:48 (edited by musicalman 2022-01-26 17:54:26)

@114, please be patient! Nolan recently did an engine upgrade, (which was itself meant to fix  crashes). Unfortunately,  there were unanticipated issues with that, but he said he would try to dedicate time this week to fixing them. The worst thing you can do is downgrade; that could potentially screw up his crashlogs. The best thing to do now is keep playing the new version so that those crashlogs keep coming. Yes it sucks, but how else is Nolan going to track the issues down and fix them?

Also. I'm not sure if exposing the sfx was actually intended or not. Don't ruin it for those of us who like to make mods! big_smile

2022-01-26 21:13:37

I dont have any crashes during menus but after I am ded this games closes inmediatelly so I am not sure, that this is a crash or maybe this is a feature.

2022-01-26 22:52:54

Hello, I really love what I have heard from this game so far! However, when trying to run the demo on my arch linux system, I get the following:
2022-01-26T20:48:10.307012Z  INFO winit::platform_impl::platform::x11::window: Guessed window scale factor: 1.4166666666666667   
2022-01-26T20:48:11.049413Z ERROR panic: thread 'main' panicked at 'Unable to find a GPU! Make sure you have installed required drivers!': /home/nolan/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bevy_render-0.6.0/src/renderer/mod.rs:74   0: <unknown>
   1: <unknown>
   2: <unknown>
   3: <unknown>
   4: <unknown>
   5: <unknown>
   6: <unknown>
   7: <unknown>
   8: <unknown>
   9: <unknown>
  10: <unknown>
  11: <unknown>
  12: <unknown>
  13: <unknown>
  14: __libc_start_main
  15: <unknown>
I have the latest version of my intel graphics drivers installed. Also, your other game, onslaught, runs perfectly on the same system and software configuration. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the amazing work!

2022-01-26 23:11:45

@117 You'll need a reasonably modern GPU. Nothing fancy, but something like my laptop from 10-12 years ago won't cut it. You'll also need Vulkan installed. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Vulkan

To everyone experiencing the crashes: I'm still not getting line numbers, and annoyingly can't find a different provider nor am I super thrilled about creating my own crash reporter. I am, however, stress-testing the game and have fixed 4-5 crashes so far. I'm about to run a test battle with over 100 robots and 30 lives. If there are any remaining crashers, I'm hoping this will trigger them.

I'll make a new release tomorrow with the ones I've fixed.

2022-01-27 17:45:24

New builds are live, with the usual exception of Microsoft which should be good in a few hours.

Fixed a number of crashes. I was able to load up with 100 lives, a bunch of mines and grenades, and run through level 10 with 120 robots, and haven't hit one yet. Can't promise they're all gone, but I hope enough of them are that I can focus on new development again.

The macOS build has an odd version number, but should be identical. I'll investigate what went wrong there and fix it for next time.

I'll probably do a Twitch dev stream next week, where I'm planning to start working on turrets. Keep an eye on this topic or Discord for updates.

2022-01-27 21:52:48

Ok I know when the game crashes yet in the newest build.
When I am trying to shoot maybe 5 or more robots in the same place.
It happened when I was in sever room and I have destroyed all servers.
Or maybe it was my death.

2022-01-27 22:38:26

Cool, thanks. I see your crash, and a possible fix will be in the next version. Sorry for all of these--there's no one solution for all of them, and the ones that remain are likely all in high-stakes situations that I can't easily trigger myself. Just gotta keep playing whack-a-mole until they're all gone.

2022-01-28 07:54:23

This game is awesome! Thank you. Can you add more robot sounds to make differences betwen various robots?

2022-01-28 11:26:00

@nolan: if you want to get more significant crash reporting capabilities, I recommend you make the tradeoff between size and rich crash reports, that means you have to include some kind of debugging information in the release build as well. For that, inside your main cargo.toml, perhaps there's only one because system fault is a single crate, perhaps it's a workspace, whichever, add this

[profile.release]
debug = true

now, you may see the size increased dramatically...or not so much, huh? Anyway, if you want to lose some of that newly gained size, add this to the same profile.release section, below the debug directive

lto = true

2022-01-28 12:31:27

Well, I love love this! This game could be really interesting with some more roguelite elements like upgrading system or new weapons / stuff.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2022-01-28 13:20:39

oh yes lirin, I think that he are planning to add alot of fun stuff.
Nolan do you know feer a zombie arcade style game for ios and android.
It contains a small missions like kill zombies without collecting lights etc.
I want to see a similar think in this game like survive two vaves of robots without using greenades or kill about 40 robots without losing a live.
A missions eventually can give you a gold which allows you to purchase a new weapons or bonusses.
It is fun concept.