2022-01-21 03:34:44

I wouldn't mind the smaller levels to decrease playtime a bit, but I do like to explore every room and I end up backtracking fairly often to get back to an unexplored exit I missed, so that certainly doesn't help.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-21 04:53:33

After playing this game for a bit I have a few things.
1.  can it be possible to choose the voice actually used for speech in windows maybe for everything.
Right now it uses the default voice.
Note this aint the default sapi voice which for me is vocaliser caren which would be fine but onecore david which well its the default voice and is fine for narator but I wouldn't use it to game with.
Can I select different sapi or onecore voices or whatever to use, sapi5 would be my target.
I have better voices, ie elequence which I can use for games.
Voices which I spent good cash on so I didn't have to use the ms garbage that is default even though its ok to use.
Next, is it possible to well turn off the death when you hit a wall.
I realise this is part of the game but I personally don't care for it.
I am adicted to the game.
You have no idea how nice it is to bust a few metal skulls after a day of testing things.

2022-01-21 06:55:51

@76 I think I'll leave the levels as is for now. I shrank them a bit, reduced the number of robots, and everything felt way more crowded. I'm open to revisiting that later if needed.

@77 I can't do voice selection for now since my TTS library doesn't support that yet. Can you use your screen reader instead? Glad you're enjoying yourself. I was thinking of adding an easy/smashysmashy mode without wall collisions and maybe powerups on the main path, for anyone just wanting to run through and blow things up. You probably won't be able to place on leaderboards in that mode, but it'd be fun stress relief. I wouldn't mind it myself after reading the news somedays...

2022-01-21 09:00:14

Well I wouldn't mind that sort of mode if you can put that in.
Yeah I am using my screen reader now but yeah, I hear you.
We are approaching not another lockdown as such but omicron is just about to invade the country.
Message is get boosted then you will have a nice time doing everything.
You don't well you're gods problem.
However all my festivals I was going to go to are in the air so who knows.
I would like a nice smashy mode though when that is possible.

2022-01-21 17:55:04

As long as it's actually called smashysmash mode. Can it please be called that? big_smile
Sorry, I just had coffee and that's really, really funny to me right now. lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-21 21:03:42

I love how I can lure robots over and pick them off.

Current strat is to find one nad light it up, then lure others over and pick them off. I can usually get 2-3 in one go with that.

Current record is 12 in one go. They kept coming to see what was going on, I was able to hide and pick them off. I like that a lot

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-01-21 21:10:20 (edited by musicalman 2022-01-21 21:11:27)

@81, how do you do that? When I pick a robot off, I seem to attract attention from all of them in the room, and I end up having to back up to a sufficient distance to quickly snipe them as they approach. Is that what you're essentially doing?

For me it works, but I end up ramping up the alerts that way and sometimes getting overrun if I don't retreat fast enough or there are too many robots around.

2022-01-21 21:20:32

Yes...with the added caveat that only seems to work on dumbass robots.

Which is fine by me. My other trick is to try luring one out of a room by stepping in, shooting, and running away to a better spot to hide and see if I can get them to come over to me.

Man when I get lure grenades...oh it'll be on

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-21 21:31:21

Happy weekend, everyone! I'm not going to announce every new release here--see Discord, itch, or the Microsoft Store for that--but a new version is out and should reach you soon. I think you'll like this one. Here are the changes:

* Different robot types now use different voice pitches.
* The left and right wall bumpers now have a different sound.
* Fix issue where snapping right between south and west rotated to the wrong direction.
* Rebind "Snap to most recent cardinal direction" to ctrl-up arrow.
* Add command to snap turn 180 degrees, bound to ctrl-down arrow.
* Upgrade engine to Bevy 0.6.
* Select a more aggressive power profile under Windows to avoid CPU throttling on battery-powered systems.
* Statically link under Windows to avoid needing separate MSVC runtime.

The random crashes are gone for me, but when they do happen, they now usually give more helpful errors so I can track them down more effectively. I also threw together a system last night that (ab)uses the Twine Twee story format to generate robot dialog clips, which is now being used to give each robot a differently-pitched TTS voice. This makes adding more dialog lines, and more custom dialog states, a lot easier. If you're curious about that, I'll be blogging more on https://www.lightsout.games/news next week.

Have fun, and smash a few badasses for me!

2022-01-21 22:36:51 (edited by Jonnyboy1991 2022-01-21 22:37:55)

Hello, quite like the game a lot. However, downloaded the new version and the game crashes when I try to open it. Did not get this problem with the older version. Once more, it doesn't come up with any logs that I can send so can't show you anything. All I know is when I click on the game, it tries to open but closes again. Was working fine before updating. Ideas? Thanks. Edit... Deleted the game, redownloaded because I figured it was corrupt or something but no go.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2022-01-21 22:46:45

I'm having a similar issue except my game manages to play somewhat. I had it crash for me on level 2.

Nolan is aware of crashing issues (we're corresponding on Discord), so hopefully he can figure something out.

2022-01-21 22:50:22

Got this log from the terminal with the Linux appimage
2022-01-21T20:48:31.817564Z  INFO winit::platform_impl::platform::x11::window: Guessed window scale factor: 1   
MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

2022-01-21T20:48:31.859572Z  INFO bevy_render::renderer: AdapterInfo { name: "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)", vendor: 32902, device: 16018, device_type: IntegratedGpu, backend: Vulkan }
2022-01-21T20:48:31.951860Z  INFO tts::backends::speech_dispatcher: Initializing SpeechDispatcher backend   
2022-01-21T20:48:34.058191Z ERROR panic: thread 'Compute Task Pool (1)' panicked at 'called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: NoEntities("bevy_ecs::system::query::Query<&bevy_transform::components::global_transform::GlobalTransform, bevy_ecs::query::filter::With<bevy_openal::Listener>>")': src/pitch_shift.rs:36   0: <unknown>
   1: <unknown>
   2: <unknown>
   3: <unknown>
   4: <unknown>
   5: <unknown>
   6: <unknown>
   7: <unknown>
   8: <unknown>
   9: <unknown>
  10: <unknown>
  11: <unknown>
  12: <unknown>
  13: <unknown>
  14: <unknown>
  15: clone

2022-01-21T20:48:36.061522Z ERROR panic: thread 'main' panicked at 'task has failed': /home/nolan/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/async-task-4.0.3/src/task.rs:368   0: <unknown>
  15: <unknown>
  16: <unknown>
  17: <unknown>
  18: <unknown>
  19: <unknown>
  20: <unknown>
  21: <unknown>
  22: <unknown>
  23: <unknown>
  24: <unknown>
  25: __libc_start_main
  26: <unknown>

fang@waffles ~/games $

It was working fine with the last version as well, wanted to give a log from the Linux side o things

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-21 23:01:20

@87 OMG, man, keep those logs coming. I'm getting a bunch of those crashes via email. Problem is, lots of them are Windows, and for some reason the Windows builds aren't including file/line numbers. Just some very cryptic function signatures that I can't reverse engineer.

But that Linux build is doing exactly what I configured it to. So thanks, I appreciate those line numbers.

Let me see if I can get a Friday afternoon fix out to you all. I may not catch all the crashes--this ran for me for hours with no problems--but I can fix a few.

2022-01-21 23:35:38

OK folks, Windows and macOS builds with a potential fix for the crashes are live. Linux is running in WSL now and will be live in 30 minutes at most. Ugh, I need to automate this.

I don't know the exact nature of the crashes, but I have my suspicions, and this fixes a few of those locations. It doesn't fix all of them, though, but the ones that are failing are all sound-related. So if they're still around but fewer, I'll fix the rest of them. But not until after the weekend. Sorry, I may have started celebrating prematurely and likely won't be in any position to work soon. wink

2022-01-21 23:56:08

Hi.
I have a problem with demo version from microsoft store propably it happened after updating the game.
I hear that synthesizer says use tab and shift tab to move but when I am using tab and shift tab it wont says options, it cycles between elements but it wont says what is highlighted.
When I am in the game it reads all thinks when I am playing but wont read any menus.
I dont know what is wrong.
By the way my friend has purchased to me this game as a gift but unfortunatelly I didnt received any email with gift.
Does some one has experience with purchasing as a gift or do I need to wait some times.

2022-01-22 00:00:58

@90 Hmm, this sounds familiar. I think I might have experienced it and mistaken it for another unrelated issue. You may be able to get speech back by alt-tabbing away and back, or you may have to restart the game completely. But I think once it reads, it should continue reading.

Sorry. I don't know anything about how Microsoft Store gifts work. You're also going to have the crashing version on the Microsoft Store for a bit longer though, unless you don't upgrade from the previous build. Publishing to the store is a bit more involved, so I want to make sure I didn't just make things worse before I send things through the store process. Should've known better than to push a release on a Friday. I played this build for over an hour this morning with no issue whatsoever. tongue

2022-01-22 00:07:31

It works I hat to confirm somethink in second window, I hat problem with reading what it is but after doing it a microsoft's web page appeared saying somethink about resolving a problems and the game is speaking

2022-01-22 00:09:37 (edited by mojsior 2022-01-22 00:12:49)

ok somethink is wrong after reopening this game it wont speaks menus again, and alt tabbing wont help.
Somethink is really wrong.
And when I am pressing ctrl +m to back to the desktop it dont see this game to be running anymore.

2022-01-22 00:13:45

OK, I'll see what I can do for Monday. For now they should be easy enough to navigate by memory. Sorry that one slipped. In my development environment, I seem to have to tab in and out of the window once, but I've never seen that happen in production builds. Now apparently it or something similar enough is, so I need to figure out why. I'll get it sorted.

2022-01-22 00:15:36 (edited by JaceK 2022-01-22 00:17:48)

One more log with a hard crash on Linux .appimage. I was shooting robots and it crashed on me.

2022-01-21T22:11:45.344765Z  INFO winit::platform_impl::platform::x11::window: Guessed window scale factor: 1   
MESA-INTEL: warning: Performance support disabled, consider sysctl dev.i915.perf_stream_paranoid=0

2022-01-21T22:11:45.386200Z  INFO bevy_render::renderer: AdapterInfo { name: "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)", vendor: 32902, device: 16018, device_type: IntegratedGpu, backend: Vulkan }
2022-01-21T22:11:45.477448Z  INFO tts::backends::speech_dispatcher: Initializing SpeechDispatcher backend   
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Start" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Settings" })
Clicked(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Start" })
2022-01-21T22:12:39.861026Z ERROR panic: thread 'main' panicked at 'Could not add a component (of type `system_fault::pitch_shift::Behind`) to entity 9v31 because it doesn't exist in this World.
If this command was added to a newly spawned entity, ensure that you have not despawned that entity within the same stage.
This may have occurred due to system order ambiguity, or if the spawning system has multiple command buffers': /home/nolan/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bevy_ecs-0.6.0/src/system/commands/mod.rs:673   0: <unknown>
  21: __libc_start_main

AL lib: (EE) ReleaseThreadCtx: Context 0x562dfb1ecc20 current for thread being destroyed, possible leak!
AL lib: (EE) ReleaseThreadCtx: Context 0x562dfb1ecc20 current for thread being destroyed, possible leak!

So if I disable pitch shifting it should sort that and stop it crashing, yes? I love the snap turn feature, makes it easy to lure a robot, run away, turn back around too

EDIT:

I'd killed the robots in the room just before it crashed, just as a heads up

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-22 00:20:13

oh dont worry nolan your are doing a great job, bugs are natural think in the development process

2022-01-22 00:43:46

@95 Thanks, no useful line numbers there but I think I have enough context to track it down. I'll fix that on Monday.

To those of you experiencing the lack of or intermittent speech in menus... I'm curious about two things. 1. Is it any better if you quickly tap tab? And 2: If you have any vision, can you tell me if focus continues moving if you press and hold tab? I think what may be happening is that someone tweaked tab handling to repeatedly move focus in the upstream UI toolkit (I.e. to move focus on hold rather than just on press), and no one other than us uses tab so they don't know they broke it. *sigh* I can probably fix that if so, just one of the many pieces of this house of cards I'm trying to keep standing. tongue

Thanks for your patience. I think I've done more testing this last week than I ever have before.

2022-01-22 00:44:17 (edited by JaceK 2022-01-22 00:45:36)

One more, after disabling the pitch decrease (but doubt that did it) and starting a new game from the esc menu:

2022-01-21T22:41:27.218129Z  INFO winit::platform_impl::platform::x11::window: Guessed window scale factor: 1   

2022-01-21T22:41:27.256941Z  INFO bevy_render::renderer: AdapterInfo { name: "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)", vendor: 32902, device: 16018, device_type: IntegratedGpu, backend: Vulkan }
2022-01-21T22:41:27.350097Z  INFO tts::backends::speech_dispatcher: Initializing SpeechDispatcher backend   
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Test speakers" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Manual" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Test speakers" })
Clicked(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Settings" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Slider, enabled: true, label: "Speech rate", value: 50.0 })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Label, enabled: true, label: "Speech rate" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Slider, enabled: true, label: "Speech volume", value: 100.0 })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Label, enabled: true, label: "Speech volume" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Slider, enabled: true, label: "Music volume", value: 0.0 })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Label, enabled: true, label: "Music volume" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Checkbox, enabled: true, label: "Use clock-facing for relative directions", selected: false })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Checkbox, enabled: true, label: "Pitch-shift sounds lower when behind", selected: true })
Clicked(WidgetInfo { typ: Checkbox, enabled: true, label: "Pitch-shift sounds lower when behind", selected: false })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Slider, enabled: true, label: "Speech rate", value: 50.0 })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Label, enabled: true, label: "Speech rate" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Quit" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Manual" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Quit" })
Clicked(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Start" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "Resume" })
FocusGained(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "New game" })
Clicked(WidgetInfo { typ: Button, enabled: true, label: "New game" })
2022-01-21T22:42:00.739125Z ERROR panic: thread 'main' panicked at 'Could not add a component (of type `system_fault::ai::AiState`) to entity 121v0 because it doesn't exist in this World.
If this command was added to a newly spawned entity, ensure that you have not despawned that entity within the same stage.
This may have occurred due to system order ambiguity, or if the spawning system has multiple command buffers': /home/nolan/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bevy_ecs-0.6.0/src/system/commands/mod.rs:673   0: <unknown>
  21: __libc_start_main

AL lib: (EE) ReleaseThreadCtx: Context 0x560ed0ad5d20 current for thread being destroyed, possible leak!
AL lib: (EE) ReleaseThreadCtx: Context 0x560ed0ad5d20 current for thread being destroyed, possible leak!

EDIT: And no, holding tab for me doesn't do anything. I need to quit and restar the game fully to get speech in menus if that happens

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-22 01:03:40 (edited by Shadowcat 2022-01-22 01:05:25)

I'm actually getting the no menu speech thing too, using the Itch version. Thing is though is it seems to be pretty inconsistent... like if you exit the game and restart it, half the time you'll get speech and the other half not.
I'm not seeing any error windows or log files though, unless one would be reated somewhere other than the game's folder.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-22 01:15:03

Right, you're not going to get an error with the intermittent speech. What I think happened was that someone changed how keyboard-handling was done in the GUI toolkit I'm using, and now tab just keeps moving the focus. So normally you press tab and focus moves once, but what I think happens now is that focus keeps on moving. I didn't just do my own focus handling like other audio games. I used a GUI toolkit, and added basic speech on top. And I think someone broke moving focus on tab, but no one realizes it because no one else uses tab/shift-tab.

I know the intermittent speech is a problem, and by its very definition it's going to be inconsistent. What I'm wondering is, does it happen less if you barely tap the tab key? If so, that'd help me to know since it suggests that focus is moving continuously, and by tapping tab quickly, you're increasing the odds that it won't move multiple times per press. And if you can see at all, does focus continue moving if you hold tab? Because if so, it shouldn't.

Thanks everyone!