2021-04-28 18:15:45

ah, okay. I didn't know that. thanks for the info. and sorry to Gamulation for my false assumptions.

2021-04-28 18:33:44

No problem, I just worked with Lua as part of Love2D in my No Video Jam entry so this topic is fresh in my mind. ☺️

Love uses LuaJit, so I was able to adapt and even slightly extend the Tolk API to add the missing speech functions that weren't initially there, like turning the SAPI support on, interrupting speech and braille output. When I wrote my last message, I was at work and did some very limited searching on my phone, and I was mostly right. However, I was also able to find this which claims to support the regular Lua versions including ones newer than 5.1. I'm not sure whether you need to do anything on your program's side to get this to work or not, but either way I don't think we'll be completely out of luck no matter what ends up happening.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2021-04-28 19:02:00

pitermach wrote:

No problem, I just worked with Lua as part of Love2D in my No Video Jam entry so this topic is fresh in my mind. ☺️

Love uses LuaJit, so I was able to adapt and even slightly extend the Tolk API to add the missing speech functions that weren't initially there, like turning the SAPI support on, interrupting speech and braille output. When I wrote my last message, I was at work and did some very limited searching on my phone, and I was mostly right. However, I was also able to find this which claims to support the regular Lua versions including ones newer than 5.1. I'm not sure whether you need to do anything on your program's side to get this to work or not, but either way I don't think we'll be completely out of luck no matter what ends up happening.

That's great! I've been looking for something like this for ages, so even if mGBA uses standard Lua, the scripts would be ported easily.

2021-04-29 11:15:33

I will gladly help in any way I can. Making Pokemon accessible is a dream come true for me. I am a very nubee when it comes to programming, but have basics in python, I will try if it comes to lua.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-05-04 13:16:26

Hello all, the crystal clear version has been updated to version 2.4.0, with a nuzlock mode!

pika-san, a pokemon fan! skype: luigimax127
Discord: luigimax127#5490
Pokemon show down username: pika127

2021-05-04 22:56:44

It also has some new areas with a new quest involving stuff the access scripts can't read. I had to get help from people on the Discord server to complete it. I can tell people what they need to do for that, as I saved what they told me.

2021-05-05 00:44:31 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2021-05-05 02:46:31)

It would be useful to habe that information. For people that still haven't reached that part you can put a spoiler alert.

BTW, I'd like to play this ROM hack. It's a Pokémon Crystal ROM hack which recreates the beta version of the 1997 demo of Pokémon Gold and Silver. Not only that, it recreates the Nihon region, story, beta Pokémon, types, adds the music found in the gigaleak, cries, etc.
The script only fails in the virtual camera and map, text reads well... almost. It doesn't read automatically, you have to press T to read the text on screen. The ROM hack is on GitHub.
I also wonder if Pokémon Polished Crystal can be playable with Nuive's scripts.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2021-05-05 02:45:40

I think, at least for now, I'll provide it upon request, rather than post them here where they could theoretically appear in Google searches and such. Out of respect for the developers, who put a lot of effort into putting this update together and who helped me without questioning me. I didn't even get any of the stupid cliched ones.

2021-05-05 13:09:34

I'm honestly wondering if this game is worth playing. Crystal Clear, I mean. TPP Anniversary Crystal is just weird and wile and lots of stuff got new moves and stats they didn't need. Perfect Crystal was exactly what it promised on the tin. Crystal Clear seems like it sort of hits between the two someplace.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-05-05 20:40:27

In terms of mechanics, crystal clear is probably a lot more faithful than aniversary crystal is. It just gives you the ability to tweak things im your favor, or against, as you desire.

2021-05-05 21:07:43 (edited by nuive 2021-05-05 21:08:33)

Loxias wrote:

It also has some new areas with a new quest involving stuff the access scripts can't read. I had to get help from people on the Discord server to complete it. I can tell people what they need to do for that, as I saved what they told me.

I'd be interested on getting that, if it is not a problem. In fact, I did the events on the new version, but I think that I couldn't complete them. Now if it is a problem with the Script, I could look at those things that aren't read propperly.

By the way, I think that a small update is comming soon, regarding some tweaks on Hack Managements, updates on the command messages and other minor things.

2021-05-05 23:12:42

@nuive, what about footstep function on different hacks? Should we get these manually?

pika-san, a pokemon fan! skype: luigimax127
Discord: luigimax127#5490
Pokemon show down username: pika127

2021-05-06 01:53:19

pika-san wrote:

@nuive, what about footstep function on different hacks? Should we get these manually?

The problem is that all of the Pokémon GB/GBC Hacks we're playing here are not exactly HackRomss, they're built from the original game's disassembly. This process modifies the game addresses, which are what the script takes to get to the footstep function.
With that said, if you play any hack which is the original rom modified, it is probably at 99% that the original footstep function address will work.
However, nowadays all hacks of GB/GBC Pokémon games are built from disassembly, not a modified/hacked rom.
I think I could develop a function to search for possible footstep addresses on the required rom, but it wouldn't be precise, and for not advanced users it could break the script.

Speaking of another things, I'm seeing many people playing Crystal Clear here. I paste here if you are interested, the memory addresses for version 2.4.0. Modify them on the memory.lua file:
ROM_FOOTSTEP_FUNCTION = 0x19d5d3
ROM_TILE_FLAGS = 0x4c000

First one is the footstep function. The other one you only have to modify if pathfinder is not working propperly.

2021-05-06 07:48:50

Hey, thanks for that. Thumbs up from me.  I've been waiting to update for this reason, and since this release is recent,, this should hold us over for a while so much thanks. I just wonder if there might be a way to tell where footprints are, and the new startup screen for cc is hell in the scripts. Its hard to set things as I want them so I just carried over my old save from 2.0 where I had my character as I want it.

2021-05-06 12:25:21

Ooh, I didn't even know that by starting that crystal clear topic I'll attract so many people to it.
I guess I got to thank 14 year old stasp for making that topic lol

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2021-05-07 05:03:17

@Jayde: Crystal Clear is much more faithful to the mechanics of the original generation 2 games. There are no new types or moves, no Pokemon or move stats have been changed, level-up moves, TM compatibility etc are the same. There is one feature that lets you teach Pokemon select moves they can't normally learn, but it's pretty isolated and you don't have to use it. A few important trainers have moves from it, but otherwise battling is identical to the original Crystal.

What CC does do is open the world up so you can travel it in any order you like. It also introduces an absolute crap ton of quality of life changes, such as being able to chain encounters to much more easily find max DV or shiny Pokemon, a move tutor providing easy access to generation 1 TM moves that you'd normally have to trade back and forth to get, the ability to buy items that used to be limited like PP Ups, stuff like that. I think you would probably enjoy it more than AC.

@Nuive, I DMed you the instructions for the inaccessible part of the new content. If you're going to be making any updates to the scripts, can you take a look at why they crash when using CC's move reminder? The original Crystal Access scripts work fine there, however inferior they are in other ways.

2021-05-07 21:04:34

Loxias wrote:

@Jayde: Crystal Clear is much more faithful to the mechanics of the original generation 2 games. There are no new types or moves, no Pokemon or move stats have been changed, level-up moves, TM compatibility etc are the same. There is one feature that lets you teach Pokemon select moves they can't normally learn, but it's pretty isolated and you don't have to use it. A few important trainers have moves from it, but otherwise battling is identical to the original Crystal.

What CC does do is open the world up so you can travel it in any order you like. It also introduces an absolute crap ton of quality of life changes, such as being able to chain encounters to much more easily find max DV or shiny Pokemon, a move tutor providing easy access to generation 1 TM moves that you'd normally have to trade back and forth to get, the ability to buy items that used to be limited like PP Ups, stuff like that. I think you would probably enjoy it more than AC.

@Nuive, I DMed you the instructions for the inaccessible part of the new content. If you're going to be making any updates to the scripts, can you take a look at why they crash when using CC's move reminder? The original Crystal Access scripts work fine there, however inferior they are in other ways.

Thanks about the bug regarding Move Reminder, it's solved now. This was a bug I found several times throughout all games, but I wasn't able to find its cause, because it was a strange bug and crashed the script at random times. With this Move Reminder, I could replicate the bug until I found the problem and fixed it. So in the next update it would be working better for Crystal Clear, but for all games in general should be less random crashes of the script.

2021-05-08 03:51:09 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2021-05-08 03:52:17)

So I've updated Crystal Clear, and I'm a little bit comfused about the Dex Tracker. Does anyone know how to get it? I know you get that by starting the game from scratch, but I don't want to do that (laziness). Anyway that's just for curiosity.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2021-05-10 01:01:23

Dekyo-NEC2608 wrote:

So I've updated Crystal Clear, and I'm a little bit comfused about the Dex Tracker. Does anyone know how to get it? I know you get that by starting the game from scratch, but I don't want to do that (laziness). Anyway that's just for curiosity.

Follow the save update steps, and it should be added automatically to your save without starting a new game.

2021-05-10 03:07:00

Has anyone had difficulty in regards to creating a new character in crystal clear? What used to be completely readable is now just blank, only readable with t. This is a problem as once you get to the outfit screen, you're pretty much stuck. I'm going to go attempt to patch my save over, but I'd personally like to restart if possible.

2021-05-10 03:27:36

Go all the way to the right and press A a few times. That'll set you up with the default character sprite. Customizing it isn't very accessible, but it's also a purely visual feature, so it's not like it has any impact for us.

2021-05-10 04:51:23

Npcs will treat you differently if you are a girl. At the very least, they will refer to you as such. Sadly customizing your character is broken to us unless someone can figure how to make it work with the scripts.

2021-05-10 21:30:54

So, a quick update. I managed to create a character, but now the pathfinder consistently  breaks with L. J works fine, but it can be frustrating to only use j especially if you miss something. I was aware of this bug in the old PCA, but I'd never seen it happen here yet. Sadly, bugs never seem to go away when they aren't wanted.

2021-05-11 01:44:20

You need to press shift H and tell it to use crystal-clear as the base folder, with en as the language. That'll fix pathfinder as well as the sprite names.

2021-05-11 02:11:55

I've already done that. It actually crashes the rom whenever I press l. This is a newly patched crystal clear so it's not the rom... I don't think.