2020-08-17 22:04:29

@dark, zombies run isn't my kind of thing iether but thanks.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-08-17 22:49:55

@Brad, fair enough on zombies run, though I would still recommend the mini trampoline for running if you're interested in good exercises you can do in a small space.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-08-17 23:48:56

I have a tredmill, but where its at it sometimes gets hot. other times I don't feel like going on the tredmil. Does Zombies run have  exercises that don't involve running on the tredmill. I usually set mine to just walking. I kind of want to do exercises in my room for those days where I don't want to put socks on just for the tredmill. Does anyone know if the apple watch does other workouts besides walking and running?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2020-08-18 00:11:15

@flameAlchemist, No and yes.

Zombies run is themed around, well running.
The recent hhomefront lockdown workouts have workout exercises that aren't running, but they're very much the exception rather than the rule.

however, you can also use zombies run with any exercises you want by setting it to automatic running and playing clips, thus giving you all the fun of the story, item collection and base building as you lift weights, do pushups, sit on an exercise bike, rowing machine  or whatever.

Myself, I use the supply run, radio or lockdown workouts for 15 minutes on constant pace whilst I do my weight lifting, then switch to step counting for an actual 20-25 minute sprint on my mini trampoline.

I will say though, heat and weerd sleep schedule have been getting in the way recently, but I do when I can, and when things cool down I'll be back to daily workouts as before.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-08-18 00:16:48

The house has a bike, but its kind of busted. I tried putting in new batteries for the screen and no dice. I kind of forgot how to do push ups. I'm kind of a bit heavy to do sit ups. I can't lift myself all the way up without moving my feat. I like zombies run so far. If I had my own place I would want to try waits maybe a rowing machine.

2020-08-18 02:24:36

You know, at this point, we're not in total lockdown.  You can go outside.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-08-18 06:05:56 (edited by Dark 2020-08-18 06:06:46)

@flameAlchemist, no need to sit up all the way when doing sit ups, actually it's more difficult to do crunches.
Lie on your back, then Put your knees up so your feet are flat on the floor, then put your hands on your ears and pull up with your abdominal muscles slowly.

For the bike, it depends upon how it works,  most models I've seen, accept for the majorly expensive ones in gyms,  the screen is just a time/distance display, which you wouldn't really need if you used Zombies run since that would count time for you anyway.
Rowing machines and weight benches and the like, take up a lot of space but I can recommend the mini trampoline since you can just lean it against a wall.

This is another reason I use two sets of hand weights rather than the hole bench thing, since those just slot conveniently under the bed when I don't need them.

@kjsisco, not sure where you are in the world. It's true that in the Uk, at least, official lockdown ended in June, however since my lady has had cancer (very much hopefully in the passed tense there), we've been on the major at risk list, which meant we weren't officially allowed out until the start of August.
now however, the government are being such bloody morons, cracking down on restrictions one minute, then, pandering to the greedy execs and urging everyone to go out and spend money the next (never mind what the experts say), that we have no idea what is right at this point.
Plus, our local town has just seen a surge in cases, admitedly, that's not a huge amount, but it's a small town.

All of this means, until we hear different from a medical person we actually trust, lockdown is mostly continuing for us.

Also admittedly, that is fairly easy since it's not as if we had a massive social calendar and tonnes of friends before all this crap anyway, but hay!

2020-08-18 06:52:50

@Dark if I read that right you said put my hands on my ears? I thought the arms staid folded or rapped around the knees. The thing is with the bike their are different modes I can set it to. What if I can't do a sit up?

2020-08-18 06:58:30

I have the same problem as Brad, albeit to a considerably lesser degree. If I'm not doing well mentally, it's sometimes too easy to just call for takeout, and then sometimes I end up not being able to eat everything I ordered.
I'm about six feet tall, two hundred and twenty pounds, so I'm not huge, but I also don't have a great deep chest and brawny shoulders either, so the belly is kinda prominent. I really wish I had a bike or a treadmill to play with. My apartment has wooden floors that creak, so I can't just run in place or do jumping-jacks, or else Zombies Run would be right up my alley, I think. Because god knows I have to get into shape.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-08-18 07:52:23

@flameAlchemist, Yep, hands on ears, Zombies run had a really nice explanation as to this in their homefront videos.
The idea is not to actually sit up, but to slowly move your upper body as far off the ground as you can, then ease down and repeat for as many times as you want (start with a few and then do more.

Of course, you'll need some other exercises for different muscles around the upper body as well, and what you do with that depends upon you.

As I said, I have two sets of hand weights,  and a regular routine I do, but obviously there are various different exercises kicking around. Just make sure to do both something anaerobic, something like crunches or pushups or weights which builds muscle, and something aerobic, something like running or biking or rowing which gets the heart rate increasing.

2020-08-18 15:08:10

My dad and step mom have a bike. I noticed that when I was over around Christmas, it felt weird, like no resistance at all. That's when I realized the screen wasn't coming on. If the batteries are dead, you can't change the resistance because you do that with buttons on the control panel. It's not like the older style where you'd turn a knob.

Sit ups yeah,you don't want to fully sit up, but you don't want to fully touch the floor on the way back down either. That's how you get the most benefit out of them.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-18 18:58:25

@ironcross, yeah; you need the screen for the computer to allow you to make ajustments.

@flameAlchemist, I'm sure you can look up how to do a situp.

This is how I do it, act as if you're going to ly flat on your belly, but don't, put your feet on the floor, I'm not sure if you use tip toes or flat feet, then use your hands near your head, each hand should be either under or near each sholder, and push up and then lower yourself down, but don't touch the floor.

I'm sure you can find a better video or something out there but that's how I'll be doing it from now on.

@dark, oh yeah, the prime minister is an idiot, I know that's nothing new, according to what my nan's told me, because TFL lost out on a lot of cash because of people getting on busses for free; soon all teen cards for busses will be oister cards, any way to get money back, huh?

Oh and I read on youtube on their virus heading that, The UK orders x amount of untested vaxenes, and now that's gone and replaced with the UK orders x amount of vaxenes.

Oh and Boris has ordered that peple can't go to france and a couple other countries, who would try to go on holiday when this stuff is going on?

Then again I don't know why I'm asking that question when as soon as the beaches opened up; people flocked to them and then... OH no! They had to close down again.

@jade, it's really hard for me to not order food but I'll get there and so will you, do pushups, and squots and other in door exersizes.

2020-08-18 21:00:38

What I really ought to do is see if my bank will consolidate my two credit cards into one. It was a stupid, stupid move to get a second one a few years back, because now I'm paying more interest, and that's ultimately what kills you. I'd have a little more money left over each month if I'd done this. Not necessarily for takeout, you understand, but it wouldn't set off the guilt spiral so hard if I did it from time to time. I don't think it's awful to do here and there, but knowing limits is a good thing.

I hate push-ups but love sit-ups and crunches. I guess that would be a good start, to at least get some of my core muscles tightened up a bit.

2020-08-18 21:17:36

yeah, that does sound like a good idea.

I'd recommend once they're payed off, either not touching a credit card again or being very sure when you're buying something.

We do have credit cards in the UK but I think Americans use them a lot more, although if I could buy myself a flat on a credit card, I'd probably do it but then I'd have to pay back huge amounts of money and I don't think that's possible anyway.

Yeah, buying a takeaway once or twice a month is ok but as you said; know your limits.

Those exersizes sound good for you.

What did you get a credit card for anyway? I've thought about getting one but have never come up with a good enough reason, I want a laptop? I can wait for a couple months and buy one, amazon? Same thing. SO what got you into that trap?

2020-08-18 23:03:00

@Ironcross, I still see some of the bikes with adjuster knobs kicking around, though i admit I've not made a study of them myself.
Again sounds like more of the modern tendency of putting touch screens on everything whether they actually make use or not, and not great for access unfortunately.

@Brad, my lady  has   nicknamed old borris jellyfish jonson, because he just gives in to everything :d.

The Newark factory outbreak made it onto the national news today, which again proves why we're still maintaining the lockdown.
just to be even sicker, my mum asked me to order a huge amount of ppe on Amazon, and some of what she got, was not the brand she ordered, but a cheep flimsy knockoff obviously bought from china.
whilst I have arranged replacement labels, it was fairly dire that Amazon forbade my negative review which stated we did not get what was asked for.

Just proves Amazon is on the side of the profiteers and the scam artists, then again, Amazon is making out like a bandit from the outbreak anyway, so woe betide they have people actually criticising them, and in fairness dealing with Amazon themselves has been relatively okay at the moment, it's just obvious that they don't give a rat's rear about who sells through them so long as they get their cut, the scumbags!

Still, we'll see, at least there are always books and games and so on.
Ironically, I'm actually saving money at the moment since we're just not going anywhere big_smile.

2020-08-18 23:04:21

Honestly? The fact that overall, my living expenses are less than equal to the money the government provides.
When I have a full-time job, this won't be such a problem. But to break it down, I get about eleven hundred dollars a month from the government. Nearly seven hundred a month goes to rent. Another seventy or so goes to my phone bill, and forty-five to my internet. I pay approximately forty to sixty dollars a month for electricity, depending on the season and how much I use my air conditioner. I pay about forty dollars a month for cat food and litter and such. Then about a hundred and ten to a hundred and fifty dollars a month on groceries, depending on what's on sale and such. So that eats up nearly everything. It doesn't factor in things like cab rides to doctor's visits if I have any, visits to my partner, going out with friends even just for a night of chess or karaoke...nothing like that. And that's not even figuring in both interest charges.
The reason I got a credit card in the first place was because some online merchants like airlines won't accept payment in any other way, and I flew a lot there for awhile when I had a partner out west. I was fairly good about paying stuff back, but there's only so much you can do with a revenue stream like that.
Seriously, if someone dropped five or ten grand into my lap as a one-time no-strings-attached thing, I would make my credit cards disappear.

2020-08-18 23:36:36

@jade, ah, that makes sense.

I hope you manage to pay both cards off.

@dark, siriosly, old Boris is so confused, I have no idea how he became prime minister... OH wait; I do. Promisces he made that he either couldn't keep up with or just swept under the rug for others to deal with.

I don't vote anymore, I honestly don't see a reason to do so but for those that do, I hope you vote for someone better than this idiot.

2020-08-19 00:34:06

@Brad, for several elections, including the last one, I submitted a spoiled ballot, simply because none of the political parties ever represent me or my opinions.

Btw, this is a really good option I wish more people would take, especially when you want to show dissatisfaction with the government and  alternatives available.

If you submit a ballot paper, and instead of getting a name ticked, write a comment or in other ways deface the paper, the ballot paper is still read and counted. It goes into a pool listed as "spoiled ballots", which contributes to the over all total and thus decreases the percentages for all parties, as well as showing voter dissatisfaction with what is on offer.

it has the advantage of not actually supporting any given party or candidate's agenda, and yet still being a legitimate way to participate in the voting process, ---- for whatever good the dam voting process does big_smile.

2020-08-19 01:07:53

@dark, thanks, I'm honestly thinking of not voting at all, fine be damned and if they want to take me to prison for some reason, go ahead, I've never found the voting parties to represent who I am.

BTW, when have you ever seen a member of a party get off their arse and actually walk among us mear mortals? That's what real voting should be like I think, where the person actually has some kind of meet up thing but I don't know how it would happen.

2020-08-19 01:19:46 (edited by Dark 2020-08-19 01:27:36)

@Brad, no prison involved, a spoiled ballot is quite a legitimate thing.
In fairness, local Candidates actually do! do various forms of canvasing.
I once had a very pleasant chat with the local liberal democrat MP where I used to live, and the labour MP for Nottingham where my parents came from was actually my old history teacher, and when my parents were having an issue involving my sister's wheel chair and wheel chair services, they wrote to him and he did! sort things out.

the issue is more that because Britain has a first past the post voting system, your not really voting for the person, but for the party, since without ruining their career your local MP cannot go against what his/her party demands.

Also, note that with the way laws are passed in Britain, many deals are done to pass one law, in which one party will have its members vote a certain way, in return for another party having its members support the first party on a different issue.

This was one of the major issues Teresa May had, in that the conservatives had such a slim majority, she was constantly having to do deal with various other parties to get things passed, which is why the Brexit negotiations were such a disaster, and why Borris (who had far more of a majority), was able to push things through quicker.

Unfortunately, the net result of this, is that you are essentially not voting so much for a person who represents your local area in a national assembly, as you are voting for that party to which the person belongs, whose over all policy and decision makin depend heavily upon both the ethos of the  party itself, and the over all cricket match of voting compromises which that party needs to get through, not to mention of course the individual interests of party members (it's  funny how rich most MP's are from private land investment, and how slow parliament is when it comes to things like regulation of private land lords or contract lease holders).

At this point in time, while I would not be against! voting for a political party, either they would need to actually represent a cross section of my own political opinions (which seems fairly unlikely), or there would need to be a very horrible alternative which required my vote against it, but it'd have to be pretty dam horrible for me to actually sacrifice my principles in the name of a lesser evil, as I might were I living elsewhere in the world, *cough* trump! *cough*.

2020-08-19 01:45:56

I won't spoil a ballot. There's no point.
If my vote actually matters, then I'll drop it. If it doesn't, then I won't.
In the States, a lot of what happens is that folks sometimes feel like they need to vote not to support someone, but in order to shut someone else out. It's gotten so bad that I hope people who don't normally vote show up purely to push Trump out of office. If I were an American, I'd do that for sure, even if I'm not precisely happy with the democratic candidate either. He's going to be better than Trump, because any positive number is greater than zero by default.

2020-08-19 05:48:06

@dark, oh no, I was just thinking of not turning up at all.

Honestly all this voting stuff confuses me and I don't feel it's changed my life enough to care about it.

I'll not go this year or when ever it is and see what happens.

And if I get a fine of £1000, I'll see what happens if I don't pay it, probably prison. I think that's disgusting, if you have confidence in your country as a voting people, then allow those that don't want to vote not to, thing is; they know that if they did that and didn't hold the fine over peoples heads, they'd lose numbers fast.

@Jade oh yeah, if I were living in america, I'd vote against trump, even if I didn't read what the other party was saying, anything has to be better than that idiot.

2020-08-19 12:23:30

@Brad, I've never heard of any fines related to not voting, indeed in most elections you get informed of voter turn out, IE, what percentage of the adult population turned up to vote.

I would always vote however, even if I was submitting a spoiled ballot as I said, since if I do not actually vote, then I have no right to criticise the government.
Yes, admitting that far more power these days is held by corporations than any national governments who act increasingly in their own interest, and even in countries with a so called democracy, the size of the voting population makes each vote's individual impact closer and closer to zero whatever myths people like to tell themselves.

Combine this with the fact that career politics (at least in Britain), is a cricket match so taken up by inter party debate and divorced from actual reality, that even the politicians refer to Westminster as "hogwarts", IE, a magical world completely cut off from the rest of the country.

All of that being said however, if I do not vote, I don't feel I can legitimately claim to have an opinion on any political matter, since there is always the argument "well if you don't like the government, why didn't you vote against them?" and at least this way I can always claim I did.

again, it's more principle than practical, and it's not really as if I'm treated as part of society anyway, but still it's a principle I like to maintain.

2020-08-19 15:17:48

I've always hated that argument. Maybe it works in other parts of the world where there are more than two parties, but here? I mean, you could think they both suck, and just abstain. But why does that mean you can't criticize the government. If party A is doing things I don't like, I can vote for party B, but wait, what if I don't like them either? So then, how exactly does that mean I can't criticize them. If I believed enough in one party to vote for them, I would.

I will tell you that me personally, I will never vote democrat. So yeah, in general, I do like Trump, but I don't agree with him in all that he's done. But at least I know him. You could put a gun to my head and say vote democrat or die, and I'd say just shoot me then, because hell no.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-19 15:26:03

@dark, maybe you're fined if you're taken off the role thing, I'm not exactly sure but honestly for me, it's just to much confusion and I don't feel I should vote when the parties are always saying one thing and either half arsing it or just not doing what they said they'd do.

@ironcross, I agree with you completely, I'll complain as much as I want tongue Not that I complain that much honestly, as much as I don't understand the whole thing with voting, I'm glad to be born here. Am I a proud brit? No, far from it, but I'm happy to have  the NHS and cheep pills and creams, although I have no idea how long that will last and if the NHS will stay around for another 5 or so years.