2020-03-18 18:32:16

I can confirm that my school will not be returning until April 15. Also, I just heard this morning that Kansas is the first US state to cancel school for the rest of the year

2020-03-18 23:54:47

Speaking of school cancellations, which I think are a smart move BTW, my sister brought up a point about that the other day when we were talking about it. if schools were to get cancelled for the rest of the year, that's all well and good for middle and high school students, who have their curricula online for the most part. But what about elementary age kids? I suppose online classes probably exist for them, since homeschooling is a thing, but are they going to all be held back a year because they missed out on critical social development and stuff like that? My sister seemed to think so. of course, my niece is 5, so I can see why she would be concerned about that, but if it's true, that hardly seems fair for the kids, particularly since young children seem to have a diminished response to the coronavirus than adults do, which is the exact opposite of how these things usually work. i found that little factoid interesting since I read it a few weeks back.

One upside to me being away from home at the moment is that I get to hear lots of different perspectives from people about what they think the situation will be like in the upcoming weeks and months. Most seem to agree with me that a complete shutdown of all services except hospitals is inevitable, so clearly, it's not just me who sees the danger lying ahead. One person we saw yesterday was telling us how he thought all this social distancing and closure of non-essential services is BS and will have the opposite effect of what's being hoped for. He was describing how kids aren't in school anymore, but they're gathering in parks and on playgrounds and playing, so it's still the same effect. he also said that it's been discovered that the virus can live on surfaces for up to 10 days, but I don't know how true that is. if it is, that certainly is a bit scary. But then I got into a debate with this person about whether or not the military could control the American population as effectively as the Chinese government did in order to halt the outbreak. While my mouth was forming the right words, trying to reassure myself as much as the other person that such a thing wouldn't work here because the Chinese are conditioned to obey their government or else, privately I was, and still am, scared that if we, and by that I mean the officials, don't get this thing under control, they're going to say, "well, it worked in China, let's do it here." I think they're already making tentative plans to do just that. Today, we were told that there were a lot more cops out than usual, and that they seemed vigilant. That lead to more than a few jokes about laziness and doughnuts, but I still couldn't help but realize that they're gearing up for something huge, something our government has never done before, and hopefully will never happen again. But then, the reason it would not has little to do with the virus itself, and everything to do with how quickly and violently the people will revolt against such action.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-19 00:11:27

@177, wouldn't that be an effective way to cause another revolution of sorts? If the military were to step in?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-19 01:09:19 (edited by Ghost 2020-03-19 01:12:14)

177, what? Are you advocating a civilian coup against the government? While many see the restrictions and travel bans, even shutdowns as rights violations, the reality of the situation is that these are necesary to prevent the spread of the virus, and to prevent a situation like italy, with tens of thousands of infections. Also keep in mind the United States  has many times the size and population of italy, so the death tole and sick would be alot higher proportionally.
Whıle some may think they have  the right to do whatever they want whenever they want, this should not be the case. Noone should have the right to threaten the safety and livelyhood of others by spreading a pathogen with a high fatality rate. I think that knowingly not disclosing  a possible exposure to covid-19, or  violation of a quarantine order should be met with jail time.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-03-19 01:15:27

Kids should not be out and about gathering in groups at a park at this time, at least here. Movie theaters are closed, malls are closed, and schools being out is not an excuse to take them out on a field trip during a shelter in place order. But I do agree that it is concerning.

2020-03-19 02:39:50 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-19 02:54:09)

@179, I definitely don't agree with your last sentiment at all. Jailing people for not disclosing that they have a particular disease is dangerous. Should that actually become a law, people would pretty much be required to notify law enforcement of every public place they visited, because all of those public places are possible risks. That then opens the floodgates to a further suppression of rights and privileges in the name of COVID-19 and public safety/health. There is a line that should not be crossed, and doing what your suggesting is crossing that exact line.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-19 03:07:03 (edited by Ghost 2020-03-19 03:08:45)

There are no so called lines. An individual's rights  should not violate the rights of, or the livelyhood of the collective. The coronavirus is a very lethal weapon to many, and knowing that you  carry the infection, but not disclosing it, endangers countless people you contact. Hense it should be a criminal offense.  So called lines and privacy regarding covid-19 will lead to a country with millions of infections, and hundreds of thousands of deaths. In India, a woman  who was told she might have coronavirus, and told to  stay in the hospital checked herself out, and got on a plane. When she tested posetive, the hospital notified police, who had to get her and quarantine people she came into contact with. This is criminality. Police and hospitals should also be allowed to order someone to remain, and physically prevent them from leaving, or  violating quarantine. They should additionally be able to track them to ensure compliance. Israel already does this. These measures will save lives, resources and bring it under control.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-03-19 03:20:16 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-19 03:41:54)

@182, I disagree. There is a line that cannot be crossed when it comes to control of anything. I agree that hospitals should be allowed to order someone to remain in quarantine, but only if they have positively identified that the person in question has a disease. They are medical professionals, after all. But it should not be a criminal offense if a hospital does not so order it. Tracking someone for compliance gets into privacy issues. Furthermore, how is the particular incident you cited criminality? Is it illegal there to violate quarantine? If so, its not necessarily the woman's fault for violating it, because the hospital shouldn't have allowed her to check out in the first place. Hence, the blame can be squarely laid at both the woman and the hospitals feet. If, however, it was not illegal at the time, then it is not criminal. It may have been criminal where she went to, but it was not illegal until she arrived at her destination.
Also, privacy cannot be ignored and should be acknowledged. You should not be required to disclose medical information if you do not want to. As I said in a previous post, jailing people, or otherwise making them disclose information that is private, because they "might" (not "do") have a particular disease is a dangerous precedent that should not be set.
Finally, how is Coronavirus a lethal weapon? It was not a biological or chemical weapon manufactured by man. It is a perfectly natural disease. If you can produce proof that it is a weapon, and is actively being used that way, I'd like to see it.

My Github

2020-03-19 04:36:16

@Ethin and @enes, I think every time the pair of you post in a highly charged topic like this one with some serious and sensitive nature you guys are generally going at it.  Take a step back for a bit and listen to one another, if I may.  Both of you have some valid concerns, but neither one of you is in control of the situation anymore than I am.  Fact is, enes is right that by going out and doing whatever you want whenever you want while being a carrier of anything that is harmful to others is dangerous at best and absolutely idiotic and careless beyond that.  What it is at worst is something I'd rather not get into as it would require some of the most colorful language I've ever used and then some, anywhere in my life to try and describe, and ultimately fail at describing, the horror of the implications one doesn't care about.
But Ethin has a point in saying that anything that violates a person's privacy is in fact a violation of rights as it is an invasion of privacy, no matter how you slice and splice it and no matter who you are.  I believe the overall question Ethin is trying to ask here is, to what point will the government find it necessary to go, and how much should we, as citizens have to accept?  That's the question we can't answer, but suggesting that we roll over and play dead because the government is the government is just as bad as the idea that you should go out in the middle of a chrisis like this one, endangering yourself and subsequently other people.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-03-19 04:41:42

@184, got it in one go.

My Github

2020-03-19 06:27:17

I feel like what Enes is trying to say here is that some rights violations, or supposed rights violations, in a case like this are damn near inevitable. No, we don't have to roll over and take absolutely anything and everything, and yes, there are slippery-slope arguments, but generally I see more of where Enes is coming from.

Right now, it is better to be safe than sorry. It is better to be a bit firm and be seen as limiting, than to simply quibble at specifics and possibly worsen this pandemic, endangering others in the process.

I am not advocating for constant, oppressive surveillance of everyone, at all times, by any means necessary. But I definitely believe that if you know you're sick, this disclosure should be mandatory and your isolation should be enforced.
I read a report the other day about someone testing positive refusing to stay home and self-isolate, so there was a police presence at his home ensuring that he couldn't leave. If he tried, they'd send him back in. I hope we don't get to a point where thousands are testing the viability of such a strategy, because that would get ugly.

I feel like Americans (in particular, but not just Americans) have this whole thing about freedom that they don't like giving up. If the government tells you to do something, then you should have every ability to resist doing that thing, and you should only do it if you choose to. In general terms, I'm fine with this, but in times like this, I think it's dangerous. I mean hell, one of the reasons some people are pro-gun is so they can ostensibly resist being trampled by the government. Does that tell you anything?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This situation is bigger than any one of us, bigger by far. That's going to mean that some of the liberty you should expect during peacetime is going to have to stretch a bit at times like this. An overly hostile response to this merely reflects badly on your ability to empathize. More, it represents a deep-running belief in liberty for the sake of liberty. Now I'll tell you something you don't like: you were never free, not really. If you stop and think about it, the only reason people get away with stuff as individuals or in small groups is because they're permitted to do so. Your freedoms don't actually pose a threat to the ruling class, and granting them to you keeps you quiet, so go on, have your freedom; it doesn't actually change anything. Even the democratic process in countries like Canada and America is busted. At the end of the day, we're not free, not really.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-19 06:55:49

here, we are now at about 110 cases or so ... confirmed. Unconfirmed probably many more, because of what I had been talking about in regards that some people will only report things when they are minutes away from dying and those who are just too irresponsible. Regardless, I can see the exponential growth piling up already. I think we will be hit harder than Italy to be honest. And I really really wish people could keep informed as much as they could about the virus itself and what is going around the world and not just your own town, state or country, because new things are being known all the time, and then post a more reasonable opinion.
For example, the virus as of today has the following abilities:
1. Be ready to activate if its caught on stainless steel and plastic surfaces for approximately three days.
2. Younger people who catch it and then fight it for about 14 days that it can last inside a human may actually feel absolutely nothing, even during these 14 days.
3. It can still stay assembled in the middle of the air and be ready to be activated, for up to about 3 hours.
Here is the backed up source just in case someone  thinks this is pure conspiratorial bs.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-03-19 08:30:33

Ethin, by weapon I  did mean something that can do harm, not something made to do harm. There is a difference. And the virus is a weapon to many people as it could seriously sicken or kill them. Disclosing medical relevent information is a violation of privacy yes, but your privacy is not more important than the safety and the lives of all.  Your idea of fredom for the sake of fredom and resisting the government when they actually have a point is absolutely silly.

2020-03-19 10:27:56

@Jayde, 186, absolutely.  Safety first, and freedom, true freedom, anyway, does not come without virtuous responsibility, so in that sense I can agree with you.  If you're deliberately going out of your way to do things you know aren't safe just because freedom you're pretty bad.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-03-19 16:38:19 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-19 16:40:52)

@188, um, I have no idea where you get the notion that the privacy of one individual should be discarded because the safety of everyone else is more important. That isn't how this works at all. Privacy is important, irrespective of the scope. If you start eliminating rights to privacy for simple reasons like "the safety of people is more important" you set a dangerous precedent that lets people start eliminating privacy for everything else for that same reason, even if their aims are entirely different. Privacy advocates, like the EFF, have been trying to shoot down this BS for years because its just not correct and makes absolutely no sense. Lawmakers have been wanting to get rid of cryptography outright for this same reason (or other reasons that they catapult from, like "child sex trafficking" or "child exploitation"), and we've had to do our best to stop them because the laws they introduce are vague, are entirely useless, and try to get rid of cryptography and privacy on an absolutely massive scale to deal with the problem, instead of coming up with something that deals with the problem but keeps everything else in tact. If you want an example of this, check out acts like the EARN IT Act. This kind of attitude is just not a good one to have. Do your research on this issue, as well as reading the article I linked to, and perhaps you'll understand exactly why.

My Github

2020-03-19 17:12:36

Ethin, I'm afraid I disagree with you, at least to some extent.
You have a worrying tendency to overcomplicate issues. We aren't talking about cryptography here. We're talking about whether or not someone has a potential fatal and communicable disease.

Privacy, and the invasion of privacy, are not always hot-button topics the way you pretend. Yes, in some cases, you are absolutely, no-doubt-about-it correct, and I side with what you're saying. But in this instance, I think privacy can and must take a back seat, especially in specific circumstances.

For example, I don't think that it's okay for the government to break into your house and ask personal questions of all the residents that have nothing to do with the pandemic. That would be a breach of privacy. However, I -do think that demanding that you disclose relevant medical info, or financial info if you're applying for some sort of monetary relief, is not a breach of privacy. Authorities have a right to know pertinent types of information, and they should have the right to pursue that info if you are not immediately forthcoming. Obviously there have to be limits as to how, when and why this is done.

Now, you say that individual privacy is more important than the collective. Except...uh, you're missing the point again. This isn't just a matter of personal privacy. Privacy is potentially being stacked against who lives and who dies. And I think you'd have to be stark raving mad to think that all of your precious personal freedoms should remain absolutely inviolate, if doing so means that those around you might be at more risk. Unfortunately, if there is one thing that this pandemic has proven, it is that you cannot trust individuals, or even groups of individuals, to act in the best interest of group survival. Hoarding is just one example, but there are others. In other words, you can't say "well, people will do the right thing" because they manifestly won't, if they're too scared, too selfish, too misinformed or simply too freaking stubborn to listen.
Put another way, we know that people won't always do the right thing, and so, we sometimes have to use more direct action to ensure group safety. My life, your life, any one person's life is less important than the survival of the group. That is simple mathematics and ethics at play here. Ideally, nobody has to die, or suffer, or have their rights violated. That's a perfect world. And again, I'm not saying that the government should do what it wants, while we bend over and take it.
What I am saying is that you can't cry "privacy breach!" just because the government is demanding that you give up info that you don't want to give up, if said info is germain and may help others or help assess your potential as a threat. In the big picture, your privacy doesn't matter as much right now. Your happiness doesn't either. If you're annoyed because you're being asked to stay home, tough luck. If you're a business owner who can't go to work, that's too bad. Yes, it sucks. Gripe if you want. Lots of people are, and hell, it makes people feel better. But it's being done for everyone's good, not just yours.

The selfishness that has been exposed not just here, but virtually everywhere, makes me sort of want to curl up in a dark place and sleep for a long, long time. Like three years, maybe.

2020-03-19 17:29:49

@191, Cryptography isn't what's at play here, but my point still stands. I was using cryptography as a very good example to illustrate my point.
You mention giving medical information to the authorities. That clarifies things. I'm fine with that; the way it was phrased in previous posts, the implication was to provide medical information to everyone, irrespective of whether they held authority or not. That, I am not fine with. I think, however, that irrespective of the situation privacy should always be considered and acknowledged. If your asked to provide information, it should be relevant to a particular circumstance and not all-encompassing. My reference to cryptography was an example of what I'm talking about; a trend I've seen is that when privacy/security gets involved lawmakers will make wide, sweeping legislation that breaks open everything at once, or they'll ask for things that are obviously impossible.

My Github

2020-03-19 18:16:48

@ethin, alright, lets try this and see if it makes a little more sense for you, and no, that's not me trying to be condescending, either... I just happen to be going through this so figured I'm qualified to weigh in.
My mother-in-law works as a perish-home health nurse.  That means that as a matter of course she deals with terminally ill patience, people who will die at any moment.  She went on a cruise a couple of weeks ago.  Her boss told her to stay home as the result of it.  What does she do?  Ignores her boss and goes shopping because she feels like it.  As someone who is supposed to be a responsible nurse, does that seem right to you?
Elsewhere, I posted about the fact that my wife and our youngest daughter are both immune-compromised.  Do you think I want her showing up at my house right now given what she may or may not be carrying?  Absolutely not.  Does she care?  Given that she's going against what her boss specifically instructed, I highly doubt she does.

2020-03-19 18:36:48 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-19 18:41:33)

@193, no, I don't think that's right. That's why I said a few posts back that I think that hospitals should be allowed to order that someone be quarantined, and then, and only then, should it be a criminal offense to disobey that order. But the order must only be valid after it has been confirmed that someone has a disease that requires quarantining; it should not be a criminal offense to continue about your day if there is a possibility that you might have it, because no one knows if you do or don't, and I feel like that's a bit too much. I'd rather the quarantining be on whether someone actually has something instead of them possibly having it, because if we were to institute that everyone in the entire country would have to quarantine -- because everyone might have it. And I doubt the country has enough resources to quarantine over 300 million people.
Edit: note that the "might" I'm talking about is not a hospital 'might' (tests have been ran and there's a high probability that you might have it but we're not certain yet). Its about a speculative 'might' (no tests have been run and no one knows).

My Github

2020-03-19 20:26:55

Ethin, this is where you're not fully grasping the enormity of the situation.

The reason that social distancing and self-isolation are being suggested is because this virus can go relatively undetected for the better part of two weeks, and even healthy individuals can carry it without infecting others. This means they might even show up negative on a standard test but possibly be able to infect someone else.
Under normal, non-pandemic circumstances, I would agree with you completely. But under these circumstances, I think that we must, absolutely must, err well on the side of caution. This means that even if you think it's unlikely you've had the chance to get infected, it's a good idea to minimize your social exposure. You wouldn't want to be wrong. What's more, if you and a bunch of others in an area were wrong, met up somewhere on your various errands, and even one of you was actually sick, or carrying, then there goes the ball game.

I'm not saying that absolutely everyone is a criminal just because they are statistically capable of being ill. What I'm saying is that everyone has a responsibility to do a few things, in my opinion:
1. Disclose to anyone with whom they come into contact if they are ill
2. self-isolate within reason
3. keep appropriate social distance, and maintain very good personal hygiene (washing hands, etc.)
I had food delivered last night (just some wings and such). Very tasty. Anyway, if I had been asked, either by my delivery person or by the restaurant, if I was sick, or suspected myself of being sick, I'd have told the truth, no questions asked, no hesitation. And I think anyone who would balk hard at this, at this point, is taking their own right to refuse, and thus their own privacy, way too seriously.

2020-03-19 22:10:31 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-03-19 22:11:18)

Again, agreed with Jayde.  It goes even further in situations where peple are part of the workforce and are doing jobs like ocupational and physical therapy for children or care for the elderly and such.  As a matter of course at least once a week I'm asked nowadays if my children, my wife or I are sick.  Why?  Because if we are, it wouldn't be right for one of these people to come to our house and get sick then carry it off to a bunch more babies in the process, spreading it not only to them but their parents, who may or may not have jobs and could just as easily spread it to others within said job.  That fault would lie with me and me alone for not disclosing said information just because I want the kids to get therapy.

2020-03-20 00:28:18

Ethin, you keep bringing up the slippery slope argument, that if we do X, it will lead to Y. This is a fundementally and fatally flawed  argument. I do also disagree with you on encryption, but that is beside this topic. I think not only should  people be required to disclose possible infections to offitials, but to people around them as well. There is actually  laws in several states that make it a criminal offense to withhold HIV posetive status from sex partners. The same principle should apply here. Also, hospitals should not only enforce quarantine for posetive cases, but for those presumed posetive, or likely to be posetive, or  someone exposed to someone who was posetive.

2020-03-20 00:43:39

Well we have 28 cases in new zealand and so far no lockdown.
All borders are shut in new zealand and australia.
But we are still free.
Most of us are heeding warnings.
This virus has done a few good things here at least for me.
1.  because of the quietness at night I can sleep much easier.
2.  people are more polite in malls when I shop.
A lot of crazyness is going on but still no one has died here yet and we are not all doomed just yet.

2020-03-20 01:21:50

Ok. You're upset about not getting privacy and people being forced to stay Quarantined in one place?
Tell me this. If you were around someone who could possibly transfer it to you, would you want them going near you or anyone else for that matter? I don't know about anyone else, but my answer is no.
If they don't test positive for it, then great. But like Jayde said, we're better safe than sorry.
Also, I have another update. Walmart has changed their hours again. I'm not 100% sure on the exact times, but I heard something like it will be open from 7:30 in the morning to 8:30 at night. I could be wrong but I know it was something like that

2020-03-20 02:37:33 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-20 02:39:23)

195-196, I agree with you on your points. But I don't think it should be a legal requirement. The third point -- basic hygiene -- is common sense. I try to follow it as best I can, but in some places its not always immediately possible.
197: the common argument with cryptography from lawmakers is that there should be some kind of magical backdoor for law enforcement only. This is downright impossible to do. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know this. But I'm going OT.

My Github