2020-03-28 16:21:31

now there are 900 + cases in india and now I Dread the prospect of that the cases will increase and now an appalling specticle awaites us

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-03-28 16:30:03

350, the thing is, Trump, and some republicans have eagerly voiced the idea that the stock market is more important than the lives of the population, and that they'd gladly kill and sacrifice  the working class in order to prop up their suffering stock portfolios.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-03-28 17:53:44 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-28 17:54:47)

@349, I think the military could be put to far better use by doing this instead of "deploying all their weapons" (which includes the A- and H-bombs, you know) to stop citizens who stockpile guns. Leave that up to the police, would you?
I'm not precisely sure why people are stockpiling guns. But I think the military would be a far better force if they helped fight coronavirus instead of killing their own citizens. Nearly all of, if not all of, the military's weaponry is overkill for this situation anyway.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-28 18:20:14

Well, I still think it is necesary if some self-minded people decide to stage an uprising, or start stealing food and other blongings by using their military grade weaponry. The weapons the police have are inadequate,, and with so many members of police infected, they could be easily overwealmed by an armed cohort.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-03-28 18:30:19 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-28 18:31:46)

@354, military grade doesn't mean what you probably think it means. The term "military grade" when not referring to a mil spec is 100 percent a marketing term used interchangeably with words like strong, tough, intense and high-quality. It links the marketers product with some of the highest-rated products in the world. Unless your talking about mil spec "military grade" weaponry, which, again, overkill. Plus, wouldn't that violate the oath of enlistment? The national guard is far better equipped to stop a staged uprising, if that were to happen.
Something I'm confused about though... how do we even know people are stockpiling guns? Is there any evidence(other than news media, which can be quite unreliable and untrustworthy, especially in circumstances like these) that proves this?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-28 18:41:00

Good grief, the US is sounding really nuts at the moment.
@Chris, one good friend of mine in London actually hopes that businesses wil realise that no, people do not have to go in to work to work anymore.

I'll say that whilst the figures over here are not good in terms of case load, at the same  time more measures are being put in place.
In terms of the debate, at the moment everything none essential is shut, so pretty much only major food shops remain open, and public gatherings of more than 2 people are directly prohibited, even in terms of shopping, there are enforced distancing measures with people being literaly spread in kews to stay 2 metres away, and people only being allowed out once a day for exercise purposes. The police do directly have powers to administer fines, and jail anyone who causes trouble, so that's definitely a lockdown.

for people on the at risk list and indeed their families, it's recommended to literally not leave the house at all! Indeed, the only time either of us leaves the house is to give our guide dogs an exercise walk, and even that we're doing at crazy times.

On the plus side, there's a lot of volunteering going on at the moment, indeed if the ap is voiceover accessible, I'm looking at signing up with NHS Good sam, to provide after care and companionship to people who can't go in to hospital, so it's not quite all doom and gloom.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-28 18:51:28

@349, I meant that Trump is trying to get the state governors to relax their restrictions, which hopefully won't happen. That would be a disaster right now.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-28 19:34:18

355, we know because of the number of background checks processed. While that statistic isn't totally adequate, the number is likely much higher do to the ways to avoid the background check, it should give you a picture. Some states have seen a 400% spike in background check requests compared to the same period last year.
As for the national guard, I don't know what weaponry they have, but I do think military grade weaponry, e.g mortars, surface to surface and surface to air misles, anti-aircraft guns, 40 mm and up to 100 mm automatic rocket launchers, grenade launchers,  20 mm or 50 calibur sniper rifles, chemical agents, tanks, armored personell   cariers, MRAPs, and similar would be needed to combat an uprising.  You would need alot of the weaponry, e.g the mortars to shell baricades if such were constructed, and people were shot at behind them.

2020-03-29 11:53:25

I have heard in the news that china has already made a vaccine for korona virus

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-03-29 13:36:19

Even if they have, it will be months before it gets commercialy produced. So it will be up to individual countries to decide how long social distancing will last because things have calmed down enough to get back to normal or not.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-03-29 16:07:52

I am getting worried because number of cases in India are suddenly rising

2020-03-29 16:25:17

Just stay home and away from people who been out and about.

2020-03-29 20:22:06

Well? Here's the latest news folks... And um, it's grim!

Global covid-19 death toll tops 30,000 as virus surges through Europe and US.

2020-03-29 21:28:23

Seriously @358, I sincerely hope you never get any form of power if your first thoughts of dealing with an uprising is needing snipers, tanks and chemical agents!

2020-03-29 22:11:46

To those of you in Britain, Canada, America and India, among others, worried about the number of cases spiking, this is expected. It's not good, but it's expected. Pretty much every expert worth their salt has said that this would happen. This is because more serious measures only began implementation in the last couple of weeks, so a lot of what you're seeing now are people who were actually infected a couple of weeks back. I still say that by and large, this is gonna get worse before it gets better.
Most projections, for instance, have social distancing lasting into May and even maybe June, depending on how fortunate we are.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-29 22:16:54

Tonight, our country will be going into a sorta marcial law. We'll only be allowed to go to the drug store, hospital, and for some reason, the hardware store. TNTech, WASA, and companies like Nationol Petrolium will still be in operation, because we need gas to fuel our cars, water to wash our hands, electricity to power our homes and hospitals, and it beats me why in the hell we would need to go to the hardware store.
Smaller stores like groceries, little stores like mine and convinience stores will be allowed to open, although only 10 people are allowed to be there at a time. There's a rumour that there won't be any shool until September, but It hasn't been confirmed. We'll have to wait and see.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-30 00:16:12

@365, that's probably true. But I don't ven want o think about it lasting until May or June. Sometimes I wonder if my sanity will make it even to the end of April. And online interaction, however trendy they may be, helps little when I look at places like Taiwan where the curve is staying relatively flat and people are basically living 80% of normal.

2020-03-30 01:11:16 (edited by leibylucw 2020-03-30 01:34:57)

I think we beat ourselves up too much when we think months ahead into the future, albeit it's a very natural thing for people to do. Remember, this is unprecedented, so we don't know what to expect in the coming days, weeks, or even months. Saying it could last until May or June doesn't really give perspective on a timeline, even though it definitely could be the case.
As far as areas that haven't been affected as dramatically as the US, Italy, Spain, etc, they were far more prepared and quick to respond than practically anywhere else on Earth. Taiwan and South Korea have had the lowest number of cases of infected and deaths resulting from COVID19, but their maneuvers earlier on is what prevented them from being so harshly impacted like the US. After the SARS outbreak of 2003, Taiwan in particular set out to brace itself for the next pandemic. It arrived late last year, and if I'm not mistaken, the number of overall cases was less than 75 with only 1 death.
Read into how South Korea handled the outbreak. It's pretty fascinating what they've done with thermal imaging and how they were successfully able to provide tests.
Suffice it to say that our complacent attitudes left us highly vulnerable to not only spreading the virus so rapidly, but also having to adjust to a new way of life while taking huge blows to the economy and other infrastructures. Note too, that the countries who handled this predominantly well are much smaller than places like the US. Taiwan has a population of 23 million, while we sit at well over 300 million. You constantly hear on the news that the US has overtaken China in most number of cases, which is pretty common sense when you figure in that we're the third largest country in the world. More people, more contact, more spread.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-03-30 01:24:37

364, if you know what types of weapons can be owned by civilians in some states, you would know this  could  be necesary. Try putting down a revolt with people wielding AK47ss, AR15s, and other military rifles, in full auto, also  imagine baricades. You would need the misles as well as the tanks, and mortars to shell and take out baricades if any were built.

2020-03-30 01:25:46

Hardware stores might stay open because if something goes wrong in the house - a pipe bursts, you need to fix a window, etc. - then a hardware store is probably a good place to go if you think you can fix it on your own.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-30 02:34:27 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-03-30 02:37:29)

I'm keeping myself busy to distract me from this ordeal. So far it's working, and adjustment is not too hard at the moment.

And yeah, there are tons of people living in the states. Of course the numbers are going to be high. But you got people like my other half looking at those numbers, panicking, and then calling me saying omg everyone's going to die the number of cases is too high are you all ok? Then I have to be the one to say yeah we're all safe, no one's been out and about and none of us are sick. Suffice it to say that if you're in a small country looking at the rising cases in a big one, it's easy to panic, but just keep a cool head about it.

2020-03-30 02:56:04

@368, not quite unprecedented. The Spanish Flu of 1918 was the worst pandemic of the 20th century, and that was far worse than this. As for Taiwan, all fair points, although according to my relatives over there, they weren't all that far ahead of everyone else in preparation. And if SARS taughtpeople to be careful, China should've seen this coming. Taiwan wasn't majorly impacted by that particular outbreak if memory serves. smile

2020-03-30 04:05:52 (edited by leibylucw 2020-03-30 04:10:45)

@372, I have to say, much of what you stated appears to be rooted in complacency similar to how I viewed this situation. That in noway is to be insulting to you, and I am not claiming to be the almighty leibylucw who only speaks of the truth and knows better than everyone else, but I do take several issues with statements similar to yours regarding comparing this pandemic with previous ones, particularly the one of 1918:

1. Hardly anyone on the planet was alive back in 1918, so I don't quite understand your point about COVID19 being precedent by pandemics of a time we simply cannot personally relate to. As far as I'm concerned, the Spanish Flu and the Bubonic Plague are of equal importance to us in 2020 concerning the COVID19 outbreak.

2. COVID19 is not all said and done. The Spanish flu of 1918 lasted from January of 1918 until the end of 1920. Comparing numbers now holds no real validity. Let's talk numbers in a year or two from now, and even then solely using simple numbers is not how we should be evaluating the severity of the situation.

3. There are
    reasons
    why that particular pandemic set in that particular time had far more of an impact, both in number of people infected and dead. We live in a much different time. This could be far worse, but the measures taken now are effecting change in spread to mitigate the severity, but not prevent. This is a reactive versus proactive type of approach, so the aim is to slow down the spread and contain it so we are not overwhelming the healthcare system.

4. To wrap up the last two points, why does everything have to be the biggest, the baddest, the worst for it to matter? Do folks not trust the projections made by healthcare experts that say 40 to 70 percent of the world's population will be infected with the virus within the next year or so, and at a mortality rate of 2% (which is currently being very generous of an estimate given the present numbers)would equate to well into the tens of millions of deaths? For every infected person, they spread it to at minimum 2 or 3 others, upwards of 5 to 6. Remember, the measures we are taking do have a significant effect on the spread and therefore the number of people infected at any given time, though you are most likely going to come in contact with the virus in the future. The difference, though, is that we should be seeing a significant decrease in hospitalizations, and hopefully a working vaccine after some time, so we can aid those infected far better than we can presently. The less people infected, the better it's easier to manage. You can clearly see how the rapidity of the spread is affecting places like the US, Italy, and Spain. Why open everything up and let more people become infected and possibly die when we're already overwhelmed and at max capacity with resources as we remain isolated and closed down? I've heard some folks say we should just let everyone be infected in the next month and just get it over with. Terrible, f**king terrible idea! That'll just lead to more chaos, deaths, and overall loss for humans, and I'm not just talking about death. We've had to make life-altering changes, and that has had beyond significant effects on everyone.

5. Taiwan was
    affected
    by SARS pretty drastically, actually. It was precisely because of that outbreak that seems to have acted as a catalyst for preparing for another pandemic, namely COVID19.

I encourage everybody to do a bit more reading about these things. I've read/heard too many statements born of skepticism and not fact or the overall picture.

2020-03-30 04:17:28

Am I complacent? No. I do take this seriously, I simply also don't believe in mass histeria which is, unfortunately,what most of the information comes from. You made fair points, and I've done nothing but read for the past week and a half as I haven't had anywhere to go.As for precedents not being relevant simply because we weren't alive at that time? I'm sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Precedents in history are relevant even if indirectly. Do I follow what all the health experts are saying? Yes and no. Because much of the information comes from those simple numbers you mentioned. But no disrespect meant either, I'm perfectly happy to accept information I didn't have... broadens my perspective. But numbers can't be ignored. I also guarantee thatif this had happened 10 years ago when social media was less prominent than it is now, there wouldn't be nearly as much panic as there is now.

2020-03-30 04:34:25 (edited by leibylucw 2020-03-30 04:42:35)

What about the Spanish Flu of 1918 affects your perception of the COVID19 outbreak? What can we, as a society, as the human race today, take away from that pandemic? What I'm gathering from your posts is that because more people died from that pandemic, we should be less concerned about the number of deaths resulting from COVID19 or at the very least shapes how we view its effects (i.e.: it could be way worse), and I am arguing that A) this is still in its infancy, and B) the reasons why so many people died from the 1918 pandemic has to do with lack of technology, resources, readily-available information, etc that we, in 2020 do have access to. So, what do people need to know about the 1918 outbreak that is absent from the way we are looking at our situation today? I still contend it holds no validity in terms of how we are responding to COVID19 other than that we should've handled it sooner and more preventatively.
I agree there is a lot of mass hysteria which ultimately distorts the reality of the situation, but if we continue to compare number of deaths to this, that, and the third, especially without considering longevity, then we should just open everything back up, and I know fully well that you do not advocate for that. If you could elaborate on your reason for setting the Spanish Flu as a precedent of any outbreak that comes after it, that might help me understand your point, but again, you're relying so heavily on numbers in your writing that I'm taking it as your neglect of the reasons why those numbers came to be.