2019-12-22 09:18:20

Hey all,

I guess i found a gem for us randomness and procedural generation lovers, although i needed to contact the dev for something a little annoying, this litle piece of wonder seems 90% completely accessible. It is an open world huge roguelike, with endlessly generated quests, setlements, and challenges. When i first saw it i thought it won't be playable, but it is. The main task of your character is to find at least 10 key fragments scattered around the world, and to craft the astral key, whatever it may be. The game offers over 60 classes to play, but most of it is locked due to a restriction that you need a total score to unlock certain classes. When you die your score adds to your total score, and if you reach a certain score, a new class unlocks. What i saw from the game as of yet: Very good and deep combat system, with monster abilities, spells, certain terrain effects for example you tire yourself in ocean more quickly and if you are not an ocean inhabitant you don't fight as well as one, ranged combat with certain kinds of weapons for example bows and guns, at least this i presume because i found gunpowder in one of the enemy corpses. Very detailed crafting system, you need to examine items to get it's recipe and from on you can craft it, three kinds of crafted item qualities, normal, masterwork, and i believe epic? I guess they give more bonuses. Random encounters to deal with as you wander on the overworld map from objective to objective. A little quirk which makes the game kind of hard to play at the moment, is that when you accept a quest and see the direction on the waypoint screen where you need to go, after some distance the thing just says somewhere here. Which is not really helpful. That's why i contacted the dev to make some textual output for us on where to look. Without further ramblings, here is the game link. https://brianiscreative.itch.io › fara

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2019-12-22 09:38:02

Sounds amazing, if only it didn't use ascii graphics.
I tried and save problem as usual, dash slash dash bar baar dash bar there is nothing around.

Really I wish someone would right these with coordinates systems or some way to play with text.
As it is though, until someone turns up with that full screen braille display these are just waaaaay too clunky to manage.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-22 09:38:20

Can someone please give a direct download? I can't seem to find the link for the windows version

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-12-22 09:51:46 (edited by arnold18 2019-12-22 09:53:47)

If you play it in browser, i don't see anything which you need ascii for. Even i didn't see any. I didn't download it yet because i was not sure about the playability, but in the web version there is a table which lists things nearby which you can interact with, you click on it and below the quick actions table you can see the possible actions which you can take with the targeted item/monster/whatever. Or just use the l keybinding, or /look command which lists everything in sight with corresponding direction+distance.

2019-12-22 11:06:26

Sounds very interesting.
Have you allready managed to get in contact with the developer?
Getting a download is realy hard. Brave-browser does not accept the downloadlink and on firefox i cant manage to get through the payment-screen.
Which browser are you using?
Would be great if someone could make a dropbox-link for the windows-version.

2019-12-22 11:15:55

Okay, I apologise for my initial negativity, I didn't know you needed to type in the box.
I've got the menus up and can indeed click on objects which is good.
The problem I'm having is with commands, since I can't get a command list to show up, which means doing comparatively simple things like trying to put raw meet on a campfire isn't working out.

I've tried typing /helpp in the box and nothing is working.

I also notice your character has a weird habbit of doing things on their own, EG butchering corpses, though I guess this is the roguelike tendency to go and doing the most obvious thing when you move into it.
Some nav headings would also be really helpful, especially at the end of the log, and on the various target tables and cumpass.

Whether this will be playable in the long run I don't know, since while it might be great out in the wilds, whether that will work if your wandering a dungeon and need to see passageways etc I don't know, but we will see.

I'll try and download the game and run independently, since it's possible that the itch.io wrapper is interfereing with the command line.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-22 11:32:30

if you write /help you get a huge table with every command. Every command starts with a slash sign btw. The dev didn't answer as of yet, i put up a topic on the itch io community and sent him a mail, i don't know whichever he looks at more frequently.

2019-12-22 12:24:23 (edited by Dark 2019-12-22 12:57:37)

Okay I downloaded the game and got on slightly better, particularly because I found the help table and the commands, especially the command to toggle off the map.

Some headings for the different areas would be nice, EG quick actions, inventory, targets and nearby objects.
It'd also be good to have range indicators on the table of nearby objects, since often I was trying to attack/take something which was out of range, which could be a miner pest.

Lastly, the one major problem I had there was a total lack of settlements. The only thing on waypoints was god knows how far to the southeast, and I never actually managed to get there without being ambushed. I wonder if I'm missing the compass, which is presumably on the graphical map, or not.

On the plus side, if the world remains this open, then making this particular game fully accessible should be relatively easy, though if dungeons get complicated we might run into the same problem most roguelikes have.

Still, I'm liking the crafting and some of the logic here.

Edit: okay wanted posters don't seem to work as well, indeed I'm a trifle disappointed with the lack of quests, and some headings would really speed up navigation, though you can at least fix item interaction by turning on autoloot.

2019-12-22 13:02:04

for me wanted posters work normaly.

2019-12-22 13:24:09

Sorry for double posting, but your first objective is to get to the settlement on the waypoint screen, after that you get more settlements and dungeons to see, for example once i got a task to transport something to another settlement, that quest i managed to do because there was a landmark for it and in the second settlement i saw some new quests. So i guess it is a chain work, like you need to work your way through settlements progressively or something. My main problem is still determining where exactly we should go if you do not have a landmark, since map locations are saying somewhere here if they're not settlements so it is a bit of a gamble, i never found any other kind of quest location for example hideouts and stuff.

2019-12-22 13:33:25 (edited by Dark 2019-12-22 13:40:28)

I still have no luck finding the first settlement. I got the wanted poster to work (the instructions given weren't correct), but it just said "you know his location."
without any indicator of where he was. Indeed I suspect these are things which will need to be fixed, since I think the only   indications of where things are are on the map.

Again, I haven't seen anything unfixable access wise, though at the moment having to go from the top of the screen to the bottom all the time and not knowing object distances is making gameplay a wee bit clunky.

2019-12-22 16:44:34

Okay, that went far better, I found the settlement, entered a den, crafted some stuff, and even got a fragment of the key.

The quests that require a specific location like the rescue quests still need fixing I think, since your correct that they say "somewhere around here" and don't tell you which location to visit, so they aren't possible to complete at the moment.
Also gameplay really needs speeding up with some  headings on notes and attack range. You can find out if something is within your range or outside it by inspecting it, but that means inspecting literally every turn which is rather time consuming.

It'd also be nice to get some idea how close to the top/bottom of an area you are, since at the moment you can literally just walk off the side of a map, even if your looking for something else, which is a miner pain.

Hopefully the developer can do some fixes though, indeed if there isn't anything  on the itch.io forums soon, maybe drop an email since if this one can have a fix or two it could be amazing! particularly with the way you unlock new classes as time goes on (I think the cat whisperer is the favourite of those I've tried so far).

2019-12-22 17:34:53

I m not sure how responsive the developer will be because I am uncertain of the state of the game. Although patches in the game were almost daily before, there hasn't been any update to the game in 7 months, which is possibly a bad sign and we might have stepped in on the twilight of the game.

2019-12-22 18:05:50

I saw that bookrage, though by the same token, the developer of planet life is still around, yet the previous update to that game was far longer ago.

I did drop the dev a polite email, so maybe the fixes can get done, since in this case most of the required interface tweaks are really miner, and yee gods, if you look at the full class list, some of the classes sound absolutely amazing, ditto with the amount of crafting and exploring in the game.

2019-12-22 19:38:39

The waypoint-screen tells me that there is a waypoint 2,7 KM to the north.
I pressed NVDA space and three or four times the up arrow to move a little to the north. But the waypoint-screen still telling me the same about 2,7KM. And the history window says nothing about anything blocking my way.
So how do you manage to get to the next settlement?

2019-12-22 21:25:12

does 1 square = 1 km? it might not be a 1:1 ratio?

2019-12-22 21:29:23

I think, a square is 0,1 KM.
I found the first waypoint and got me some quests and a little reward. But i am still a bit lost. Absolutely no plan what to do in this open world. I saw some gorillas, but i am not sure if i should try to kill them.
HAHA, oh and i harvested some birch seeds. No plan if they are good for anything, haha.

2019-12-22 21:47:49

How do you eeven play this game? i see an ocean of clickables and it takes me a super long time to move around. We absolutely should get the dev of this here, and see if he can add some fixes or something, the game sounds great.

2019-12-22 22:33:27

Yeah, wondering about the same, Skylord...

2019-12-22 23:03:07

Okay, I'll try and explain a few things to help people getting used to the game and perhaps make the learning curve a bit easier.

The game works by both clicking on things, hitting letters directly and  and by inputting commands in the bottom edit area, I've found all are necessary at different points.

There are several parts to the interface you need to worry about, the quick action box, the inventory, the log, the current target, and the nearby list, with the edit area for inputting commands at the bottom.

First thing, I would strongly recommend typing ?togglemap, that is toggle map as one word with a slash in front, since otherwise the map will take up a lot of space and give you a ridiculous amount of blank lines to go through, or at least it does with NVdA.

Now how the game works. Since this is a roguelike, your character is able to move around in 8 directions, you can use the arrows or numbpad to move (if using NVdA you'll be toggling between browse and focus mode a lot here), so think of your character moving around on a grid like a chessboard.
You can interact with things next to you, and, say if you have a range weapon, with some things further away.

At the bottom, in the "nearby" section just above the edit area, are the things your character  is aware of and their immediate direction, EG roll of burlap nw, campfire e etc.

If you type l, the log will directly tell you what is around you with some information, EG there is an appletree far to the southeast.
Just above
All of these things around you, plus items in your inventory can be targeted. to perform actions on (you can hit tab to cycle through targets or click on things).
This lets you do things like inspect, take, etc.

Note though, that only those items immediately next to your character will be able to be interacted with, EG you can't harvest from a tree that is a ways away, or take something that isn't at your feet.

To make interacting with things easier, at the top of the screen in that first tab is the "quick actions list, this lets you do some of the most common things to whatever your targeted on, EG harvest from a tree or climb it, take an item, attack a monster, light a torch etc.

This is one reason I'd like headings for some parts of the screen, since I find myself going between the nearby list and quickactions box a lot.

You can however speed matters up in several ways, for example I recommend turning on autoloot which automatically picks up something you walk across.
other quick commands include t to take an object, and shift T to take all at a given location.
A to attack a targeted monster, and shift A to perform a heavy or fierce attack, which takes more time and stamina, but usually does more damage.

Also bare in mind the  parser is mostly fairly straight forward, EG to chop down a tree to get logs, just go up to it and attack it with the axe you begin with, and to cook something, just select the campfire and then give it a food item, also don't forget the initial slash for commands.

The world map is a bit of a pain at the moment.

The game is divided into roughly 10 x 10 areas like the forest you start in. You can leave one of those areas by either typing exit, or by moving to the edge and keeping going, remember the exit command if you get ambushed as it can save your bacon).

The map is incredibly inaccessible, however most information is available anyway. Once on the map, you can move in the initial directions (note that hitting two arrows to move diagonally doesn't work on the map, only the numbpad moves diagonals).
In the quick action box you will be asked if you want to explore the current location your on, EG explore farmland, explore ocean or explore jungle, and can just click or press e to do so.
If you choose not to go to that location, a log message will note you moving through it and a few salient details like animal tracks or monster tracks, though I'm not entirely sure of the relevance of these as yet.

At the bottom of the log is an area which says "landmarks"
This works like the nearby list and will tell you about any close special locations such as dens of monsters, towns  or temples, though these are quite rare I think. To enter one just move across the map squares to it and you'll be given the option to explore.
Sometimes you'll get ambushed and be forced to go to an area, usually one with monsters.

When you hit w for waypoints, a window will appear with the relevant details (this happens in a few other places throughout the game, such as when viewing the recipes list or character stats).
You'll need to click somewhere else, press escape or type close in the box  to close this window.

Though the waypoints are numbered, you cannot interact with them, and though they say "tracked on map" for access purposes they aren't.

Every step you move on the map is I believe 0.1 Kilometers, though it's possible your movement speed may vary.

If the waypoint is a town you'll see it under landmarks, however if it's a quest location, the map just says "somewhere here" and I have no idea how to find which square it's actually talking about, hence the need for an access fix with this.

I haven't experimented enough yet with different quests to see which ones are doable, if any, though if Arnald 18 is correct about delivery quests to other settlements, they would probably be possible since I assume settlements would appear on your map under landmarks, and thus be trackable when you get close.

As far as items go, from what I've seen thus far, most things you eat give your character buffs, including flowers and seeds. Buffs and satisfying hunger give changes in your character's mood which make them do a lot better in combat. My best char (the one I got part of the key with), ate quite regularly, ditto with resting.

I also believe you can cook different things and maybe make potions too, though I've not survived long enough to try those out as yet, neither have I found stoe or clay or ways to mine, though smithing is definitely in the game.

Indeed, one piece of advice I will give, is that crafting stuff is the main way to get starting level gear, and even with wood, burlap and fruit gathered from trees you can raise your survival odds.

Hth.

Also, really hoping this one gets some fixes since it definitely foots the bill for a really complex, single player game with exceptionally interesting crafting, and where the crafting matters.

2019-12-23 05:36:47

Man this is so fun. Even with the quest stuff.
+1

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2019-12-23 07:04:44

I know this will probably never happen, but imagine this could be translated into an audio game. Now that would be something. It could even have  voice acting LOL. I would love it if it could be a side scroller. All dreaming aside, I think I will pass until the accessibility issues are fixed. Maybe the developer could develop an NVDA add-on Or some Jaws Scripts.

2019-12-23 07:09:38 (edited by Dark 2019-12-23 07:28:41)

@RTT entertainment, developers don't make addons or scripts for games, and in this case that would be waaaay overkill anyway, since what is needed adaptation wise is fairly minimal.

Unfortunately, I've had a hunt around and the last contact I can see from the developer, even on patreon, was still May. I've sent a polite email but no response yet.
If someone has Discord maybe trying there might be an issue.

It's a shame, the adaptations required to make this one fully accessible are so minimal, and there is so much you can still do anyway.

Has anyone had any luck with the quests? I wonder if those texts about "monster tracks going southeast" from certain squares tell you anything.

It might also be worth asking on itch.io in case there are some indicators for quest locations we're just missing.

2019-12-23 07:49:31

Dark, how many changes would be required to make this game perfectly accessible? I mean with absolutely no accessibility issues whatsoever?

2019-12-23 08:03:52

I'd say one change, the quest direction indication. The others just are cosmetic. It'd make life easier but the game is playable without them. On the other hand i still didn't receive a reply to my mail to the developer, so i don't know what to think.