2009-05-28 10:01:35

I thought i better separate this from the muds topic to reduce confusion.

Okay, I went to the trigger dialogue and tabbed to add. In the first box, I entered less than star greater than as the search item. In the commands box I entered hash say percent zero voiceonly. I then checked the command to update the script (sinse obviously I want it for materia magica), and pressed enter on okay.

There was no error message. I then tabbed to done and pressed enter.

And I didn't notice any visible difference in Mm at all, ---- the same thing is happening, sapi is reading the room description with visible object sna monsters, and completely missing that line when ussing up and down arrow, ---- but reading it with left and right cursers.

i'm really getting a trifle frustrated with this, ------ especially after the time I spent carefully getting everything I could out of the newby area in mm.

I asked on the audeasy list, but they just suggested adding triggers as well.

Any further thoughts?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-05-28 17:29:40

Try:

#trigger {[<]*[>]} {#say {%1}}

You may have issues matching the less and graters.

2009-05-28 19:52:05

Hi.

thanks Maloc.

Sadly, stil didn't work.

the trigger seemed to take, ---- ie vip mud accepted it without errors, but the game stil refuses to read that text.

I'm now wondering if it's a sapi issue.

I'll try reading a similar stream of text with jim kitchin's sapi text reader and see how they come out.

Eddit: okay after a quick comparison with a friend of mine, also trying vip mud, materia magica, sapi, windows xp and scansoft daniel, and the status line read without any hastle. #

therefore, it's a sapi config problem on my end.

If anyone has any suggestions on fixing this I'd very much appreciate it.

The only thing I thought to try was the deluserlex.exe file from Jim kitchin's site, ----- but that did no good.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-05-28 23:32:25

Honestly I wish I could say something useful here.

Hope someone can work out what has gone wrong and help you.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-05-29 02:53:14

Can I get an example of what's troubling you?

2009-05-29 04:11:15

it's basically in vip mud using sapi, the character status line eg <42 hp 39 mp 25 st> is not being read by sapi, either as the text immediately comes in from the mud, or going over the output window directly using up and down arrows.

I've experimented with triggers, ----- and no luck, and after some testing via a friend under the same conditions, it only appears the problem is occurring to me.

I've finally narrowed it down to being a sapi issue, but I have no idea how to solve this, ---- though solve it I must, sinse not getting character status info makes muds like materia magica or medievia distinctly problematic to play, and causes significant amounts of character death due to not knowing how beaten up I'm getting during a battle.

2009-05-29 04:27:59

Well, this might be long, but bare with me.

#trigger {~<* hp * mp * st~>} {#gagline all;#var hp %1;#var mp %2;#var stamina %3}

#key f2 {#say{@hp hp, @mp mp, #stamina st}}

Then you could hit f2 for your info?

2009-05-29 11:56:46

thanks, I'll try coppying that line into vip and see what happens.

Eddit: Okay, I coppied all the scripting lines into vip mud. The trigger took okay, but when I pressed F2 I got an error message saying "Bad command" which I assume means that it didn't find the hp mp etc.

Apparently according to someone on the audeasy list, less than greater than signs are actually used as a silencing command in sapi scripting, ----- so maybe this is the problem?

If this is the case, then i deffinately! hope david greenwood or someone from the vip mud list will get back to me.

If I can't get this fixed, it'll make playing muds near impossible, ---- which will be incredibly annoying!

2009-05-29 17:02:08

sorry dark.  that was my error:

#key f2 {#say {@hp hp, @mp mp, #stamina st}}

2009-05-29 17:08:53

hi, the error you're getting is a mistake in the script, on this line.
#key f2 {#say{@hp hp, @mp mp, #stamina st}}
the correct thing is,
#key f2 {#say{@hp hp, @mp mp, @stamina st}}
it was a typo, I guess. this actually helped me and I got a basic knowledge of variables. one step forward for me!
now for your problem. not sure if anyone suggested to use the sub command to delete the signs around the prompt.
if you didn't delete it, get the "<*>" trigger, and in the commands field,
#sub {%1}
haven't used this for a bit so I'm sorry if it won't work. but I bet it will work
what this does is take the text and convert it to a different text in this case what was the wildcard, the star.
you can also use the other trigger with the vareiable, but in this case you should get rid of the gagline all command, since it hides the text.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-05-29 19:14:32

aaaaagh! this is getting complex.

I'm at my parents' now on my laptop, ---- so won't be able to try any of these scripting suggestions until next week.

I like the idea of specifically ordering vip mud to say the numbers in the brackits, sinse if it is the case that the less than greater than is acting as a silencing prompt, that should hopefully get around it.

I will however also download a fresh copy of Vip mud and see how it works out with my laptop, ----- eventually I would've wanted a copy of the program and an access key for my laptop anyway so this isn't anything out of the ordinary.

2009-05-29 19:33:15

He could indeed get rid of the gagline all command, but he can't see it anyway.  Also, considering he gets it working, the variables will also update accordingly, causing him to get his prompt read to him whenever he choses.

It was a typo indeed.

2009-05-31 14:01:18

Okay, I downloaded a fresh copy of vip mud today and tried it on my laptop, ---- also running xp, sapi and scansoft daniel.

Same thing happened again, that bloody status line isn't being read.

I'll try the scripting you suggest and see how that works.

Eddit: Okay, I coppied Malloc's script commands with the new version of the f2 command line.

The script took okay, however sapi stil refused to speak the actual values. it simply said "hp, mp, staminer, with no values described, even when the appropriate line was indeed on screen (I checked with Hal).

I'm now wondering if there is a way to actually stop the display of those less than greater than signs, and thus have that text read by sapi normally?

As one of the features listed was hide Aski art, I'd assume there was a way of doing this, ---- but my mucking about with the options haven't yielded any results, so something perhaps in the scripting would help, ---- though i'm afraid I have no idea how to do that either.

appologies for being such a pest, but any further assistance here would help a lot.

2009-05-31 16:35:00

The signs are used as brackets and anre't usually considered ascii art, and that was what I initially tried in essense.

Query, have you tried it with the basic sapi voices? Wonder if it might be a glitch with scansoft voices perhaps? Worth trying at any rate.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-05-31 16:50:27

I did wonder that myself, but trying with microsoft Mike and Sam didn't yield any better results.

While I know the less than and greater than signs aren't actually aski art, sinse it's their display which seems to be causing the issues with sapi reading that line, I was wondering if there was a basic scripting method to simply have them not displayed in Vip mud?

Afterall, their not exactly commonly used symbols. I assumed if Vip mud is able to hide aski art, ---- it miht be scripted to hide other symbols as well, ---- hence my logic, though i'm again not sure how to do this I'm afraid.

2009-05-31 18:44:27

The ascii art option is probably somewhere in the options menu for VIP somewhere. You can certainly try it, though I don'#t recall if it was enabled by default or not.

cx2
-----

2009-05-31 19:54:19

As I said, I have played with that option, but setting it at the three ways it can be set doesn't do any good for the reading of said status line, ----- sinse as you sai, less than and greater than are here used as brackits, not as aski art, ---- which is why I wondered if it might take a script to physically hide them.

2009-05-31 20:09:29

HAVE YOU TRIED THE SUGGESTION I given? it should hide these 2 signs.

2009-05-31 22:24:35

Your suggestion did sound good, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to even start adding the various commands you mentioned as I have litle idea yet how scripting works, ----- when i can get the muds in a playable state, then I will worry about scripting.

would you mind please either typing the scripting commands here so I can copy and paste, or giving a step by step guide?

Much appologies, ---- as I said I'm incredibly new at this.

2009-06-01 11:37:50

1. go into the vipmud triggers dialog under the edit menu.
2. now if you made the trigger that has the less than sign followed by an asterisk and a greater than sign, select it and hit control e to get to the edit dialog. if that trigger is not there, press control a and type in the less than, the star and the greater than sign.
2. now, if you are editing the trigger (pressed control e in the first step) tab once to the commands edit and paste this line

#sub {%1}

you do the same thing if you are adding (control A in step 1) tab once and paste the line of the code above. if you still have troubles you can contact me privately or just ask here.

2009-06-01 16:18:51

Hi.

I tried this as well, ---- but once more I could tell no difference.

I added it as a new trigger, and coppied the code into the commands box, okayed it, ---- but nada!

Furthermore, when reading the screen with Hal, it did seem that the less than greater than signs were stil being displayed, ----- grrrr!

this is really! annoying me.

I'll send Gma games another E-mail, sinse this situation is absolutely dire, ---- particularly as I bought vip mud expressly because! it was sapi compatible.

2009-06-03 12:35:09

Okay.

David greenwood got back to me and suggests I try the trigger #trig {[<]hp*[>]} {#say %1 voiceonly}

Sinse it is indeed the problem of less than and greater than prompts acting as a silencing command to sapi.

so, I know for absolute certain this trigger is correct (if the programmer can't get it right, ---- nobody can).

so I opened vip mud and logued into my materia magica character.

As soon as I got to a screen where I could! enter this trigger, I coppied in that text, --- vip mud said "okay" so I assume it didn't cause problem.

and, ---- nothing happened!

now I know I've got the right trigger for this problem, ---- is there something wrong in my execution?

In the manual it did say you could add scripting commands directly into the entry window and they'd be applied instantly, ----- but did I do something wrong?

This is continuing to piss me off!

2009-06-03 14:10:37

Sometimes it can be a pain in the backside triggering on prompts. Sadly muds don't always terminate the prompt properly, so it appears as part of the same line as some other output.

Maybe try changing it to trigger on :
<*>*
And have it say:
%1, %2

This is very awkward sometimes though.

As an alternative, does the mud permit you to change your prompt? Some allow you to completely redefien the prompt, including the use of < and >.

cx2
-----

2009-06-03 14:47:29

I've not noticed any redeffinition commands in materia magica at all, and I'm not certain about how to alter the trigger, ---- sinse I'm not actually sure what it's supposed to do in the first place.

I'd look at scripting when I can get the mud to actually display properly, so that I can actually work out the basics of playing muds and decide what I want scripts to do.

As it is though I'm having no luck, and am almost at the stage of asking David greenwood for my money back, ---- sinse I bought Vip mud expressly on the pretext of sapi output, and yet the sapi output doesn' seem to work correctly because of this.

2009-06-03 15:12:20

does it works for your screen reader?

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter