2009-06-03 17:06:55

Sinsemy screen reader is hal, the answer is no.

Using Hal's normal functionality I can read the various windows (one reason I can copy said line), but Hal will not read incoming text, I have to go and physically read it myself, ---- which is far too slow in a mud. This is why I've never tried muds before Vip mud turned up.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-03 19:12:24

Find the trigger in the list of triggers, they're listed by what they match on. Edit it. Change the trigger text from
<*>
to
<*>*
then change the #say line in the commands section from %1 to %1,%2

This is tryiung to make sure the mud isn't sending the prompt along with other stuff on the same line. If it is then hopefully the second * will catch the other output, and the %2 will make sure the other output is still displayed.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-03 22:00:20

I've tried the modifications, ---- but am stil having no luck.

the actual line from materia magica is
<97hp 150sp 174st>

I tried <*>* as a trigger, I tried David greenwood's initial suggestion of < hp *, I tried < * hp  *mp * sp * st >,  ----- and stil nothing!

nothing I has ever tried has had any effect on vip mud reading that status line at all! I must say, I'm not exactly impressed with this fantastic scripting the program uses.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-03 23:03:58

It's a problem I've had when I was using mushclient as well. Some muds, in fact most it seems, don't properly terminate the prompt. Either the prompt appears at the beginning of a line of output, or otherwise it is hard for the client to distinguish it as a distinct line. This is sadly not unique to VIP.

Wish I could fix this for you, but honestly I've no more idea than you.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-03 23:35:44

I don't believe it's precisely what's sent by the mud, sinse in the muds I've tried the prompt seems to be on one single line. The problem is just that apparently less than and greater than signs are a silencing command to sapi, ----- I wish david Greenwood had thought of this in the program!

try as I might, I can't get theblasted thing working, and without some measure of that prompt my characters keep dying due to me not knowing how beaten up they are.

2009-06-04 08:38:53

I'm assuming for some reason the mud's wimpy setting isn't helping enough? Wimpy is basically an auto flee system most muds have.

cx2
-----

2009-06-04 11:40:49

Well, Materia magica does indeed have a wimpy setting, however it's limited to i believe, a third of your hp. This is okay for basic fights, however I've had some fights with enemies who took me streight passed my wimpy into death, because they were hard hitters.

then of course, is the question of when to rest, ----- and for how long, ---- not to mention the spell point problem of how many times I can cast a particular spell.

All in all, it's actually a real pest playing without the prompt.

2009-06-04 13:16:48

All very true, and I can actually understand this since I've had to play without prompts before. I always found them incredibly irritating and spammy, so I've had to turn them off on more than one occasion so I can actually keep track of the action.

And as I said, I've never actually managed to trigger on a prompt before sadly. I haven't tried with VIP, but I've tried with GMud and MushClient without success. There was even a topic I found before on the mushclient forum discussing how hard it is to trigger on prompts sometimes.

Without actually trying MM and trying to script it directly myself there isn't a lot I can do. I might try that some time actually, but no promises on my success or failure.

cx2
-----

2009-06-04 14:37:55

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem just to be mm. Medeivia did exactly the same thing as well, and I believe any game which incloses prompts in less than greater than signs will unfortunately, ----- which i think counts most muds, especially those which are heavy on quests (ie, the ones I wish to play).

I'm just hoping david greenwood can offer a solution to this, ---- or better stil write a patch, if it's such a common sapi issue.

2009-06-04 15:17:36

Well most games have a help file on prompts, so you can type "help prompt". Most allow you to customise the prompt in some way, allowing you to remove the < and >. There are also sometimes ways to check your health, though this doesn't help with mana or other stats sadly.

cx2
-----

2009-06-04 16:02:25

I've got it!!!

First make sure you clear out any previous trigger attempts in this direction, just for tidiness. Then copy and paste this, which I've written and tested personally on MM just now into the materiamagica.set file in the VIPMud folder. Shut VIP off first though, so it doesn't conflict.

#TRIGGER {[<]*[>]*} {#gag;#say %1} {}

There were two problems here at once. VIP treated the < and > as special characters. MM also leaves a space character of some type after the last >. We had tried accounting for both these, but I don't think we tried accounting for them both at once.

As a note VIP automatically deletes any spaces you leave at the end of the matching string when you enter it, but it still treats them as part of it when it is testing it. I'll have to drop Mr Greenwood an email.

cx2
-----

2009-06-04 18:03:33

Hurrah! yes indeed finally! after many attempts that does indeed work.

I'm not sure why spaces should make a difference, ---- but so it goes.

thanks a lot Cx2, I owe you a favor.

the only trouble is, I'm not likely to get much mud time this weekend owing to a small role I have in a production, ----- but never mind! I'll get to it certainly soon.

2009-06-04 20:04:30

Very glad I could help.

The reason it makes a difference is that the two lines don't match. The addition of a space makes the line slightly different, and VIP notices this.

David Greenwood replied saying he would rather not change mud output, but wasn't aware VIP was trimming the trailing space. He also suggested [ ] instead of the last * in the search string, though this is going to work for the moment anyway.

cx2
-----

2009-06-05 01:25:26

Well it certainly does work.

Hopefully this will give me a chance to actually try some mudding out with an interesting game and so look into scripting, and thus be able to deal with this problem should it occur again in another mud, ----- that's assuming your script wouldn't work in Medeivia (interesting, ---- i'll have to try it).

I'm afraid thus far the only thing close to scripting i've done is to use the in built alias feature of the game to set some quick commands for casting spells, ---- but I'm sure I'll learn soon.

2009-06-05 14:16:12

Assuming medevia uses < and > then that script *should* work, barring any more unexpected space issues at the beginning of the line instead. If not let me know.

cx2
-----

2009-06-05 23:41:47

Medeivia did appear to, but I will admit I was mainly trying it for interest's sake and as a comparison of the problem, sinse the right up suggests it's far more hack n' slash than materia magica.

The only other muds I've been tempted t look into are some of the Iron realms ones like Lusternia, but I'll give mm a good chance first and see how that goes, sinse it seems to both have combat and lots of quests, ---- and I've now even got a sound pack for it as well.

It'd be nice to find a space mud with quests, ---- but I've yet to hear of one, and those I've heard of like Miriana, Federation 2 or Humanity seem far more about pvp and economics than quests and exploration.

2009-06-06 13:02:37

Indeed I've been trying to find a space game like that, but they all either seem focused mostly on planetbound affirs with ships as a second thought, role play enforced but with nothing to do, or heavily PVP oriented. A great shame, and something that I find personally quite disappointing.

cx2
-----

2009-06-06 14:08:35

That's sad, sinse there's imho far more scope for interesting quest plotting in scifi, sinse many of the fantasy games (even those with quests), have worlds that are often just basically rips of D&D, and the potential for world building, unique races and environments and interesting quests (everything from basic to epic), is very much there in scifi.

But this seems to be the way things go, and lots of people seemto have this bizarre desire to slaughter other human players.

2009-06-06 17:34:14

Also once you add ships you have the potential for dynamic quest style activites to be generated, everything from survey missions to transporting relief supplies or military patrols.

I did run across a sci fi ish game that seems to have a lot of quests, but it did focus mostly on planets. It also had a very strange mix of fantasy and sci fi that didn't seem to quite gel. I haven't actually played it, but I read its online newsletter. It seemed like the "collection of random areas" type mud, only where each area was a planet instead. I also couldn't work out how much PVP was a part of it either.

cx2
-----

2009-06-06 17:57:46

Well, I could see magitech working quite nicely, ---- something similar to the Final fantasy universe for example, ----- or certain starwars elements come to that.

One of the things that pleased me in Smugglers 4 was the greater array of missions, and I've made several suggestions upgrade wise about increasing this aspect of the game, sinse it is rather fun, and could be made very open ended in the smugglers type system.

apparently eeve online does feature as many diverse missions and the like as world of warcraft does (though I know far fewer people who are eeve players than wow players), but I suppose when you've got the amount of monetary resources going into a game as the big developers have, you can afford to satisfy everyone.

Rise of the golems showed me pretty well that quests are not popular, sinse when I suggested them on the forums when the game was in it's developement phase, I got shouted down by the pvp mob, ---- that's why I no longer play that game.

2009-06-06 18:42:10

The trouble seems to be that quests and a cooperative style game requires intent and will on the part of the developer. It takes effort to get players in who want that kind of game, there are probably plenty of us out here but we are spread more thinly. On the other hand PVP players seem to be more readily able to locate new games, or maybe they're just more flighty.

cx2
-----