2019-07-25 12:02:12

Even if a game is abandonware, that does not make it's assets abandonware. in most cases those assets were licensed from another company. IE. Sound Ideas, ETC.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-26 01:59:08

This was my last program for blind english community. If you do like this, you really shouldn't wonder why you are not geting new games, if you keep complaining about every single asset. Learn to be happy with what you have, otherwise you don't need to wonder about the kloning sceene.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-07-26 02:13:29

Oh no, we will cry now, that really sucks. That's called a kid trying to develop with no social experience. Sorry dude, but that's not how development works.

2019-07-26 02:16:11

This really makes me wonder why crazy party is treated differently. I mean I'll be honest and say that I love it and that it's a great game, but it is chocked full of copyrighted sound and music from Mario and pokemon among other video game franchises. So where do we draw the line if we're gonna go after people for this? If anything this makes me fear for the safety of games like crazy party, villains and rhythm rage, just to name a few examples of games that "borrow" sounds from other sources.

2019-07-26 03:01:17

27. It's not our fault you can't follow rules. You have absolutely no room to be throwing a tantrum right now. You know that the forum will be cracking down on future projects, yet you chose to test us. Sorry. No pity here.
29: the plan going forward is to be examining new games more closely. Obviously older games have not been touched as you all would have seen projects be removed from the database, or topics closed on the forum.

2019-07-26 04:47:26 (edited by defender 2019-07-26 04:54:56)

@Simter
I'm not trying to discourage you from developing, but you should have kept the game to your self and maybe your close friends until you replaced the sounds, instead of getting too excited and releasing it early.
That isn't a hard thing to do, and you already knew we don't like sound theft here before posting...  You must have known this might happen but you still took the risk anyway.
I must ask why  you didn't just use one of the many resources in that big list in the dev room?  Many others and I worked hard on that, , and when people don't care enough to spend the time to do sounds legally even in a small game which doesn't need many, when allot of the work is already done for them, well it's hard to be sympathetic...
You spend all that time coding, debugging, and recording dialog, but you can't spend a few hours at most on a site like zap splat  or sound gator or free SFX?  No, I think you are just impatient and lazy, and you deserve what happened to you.
Of course I want new developers and of course I know you could make great games some day if you really worked hard on learning, but if you can't stop steeling the work of other developers than you won't get very far, so don't act like we're being unfair for having basic standards.

2019-07-26 05:44:56

Well, he theoretically could have opteined the sounds from the same librarys perilus hearts and q9 got theirs from but this is just a theory.

And Simter, the german comunity won't be better, they don't even have a dedicated website for gaming.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-07-26 06:06:42

Some food for thought: A number if mainstream games from different companies use the same sounds.

2019-07-26 07:27:27

32: yes. he could have theoretically obtained them from the same library just as I could theoretically own a mansion in Beverly Hills.
the library in question is a Hollywood Edge library.
Also to answer 33. Mainstream games usually hire their own sound designers to create custom sounds. Indy development is a different story, but indies still have to cross their I's and dot their T's by purchasing licenses for the assets they use.

2019-07-26 08:47:03

Liam, your argument falls short of well, anything.
A mansion in hollywood is at a certain other level than the cost of a library which, if we take in the fact that Philipp bought them, unless he stole his sounds as well, Simter could have also bought the thing as well, you can't really look through all audiogames to see if a sound has been used or not.
Only thing he could do is present an ordering confirmation to the mod team I suppose.

What would keep me and other devs, having the finantial resources of course away from buying a sound library and using these sounds? Everyone would run in danger of beeing accused of steeling sounds even though the librarys were legally bought.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-07-26 08:51:46

Please reread my post. I am referring the likely hood of this actually happening. I think my american sarcasm fell short. The pint I'm trying to make is. I would be hard pressed to believe the OP actually purchased a collection from Sound ideas which costs hundreds of dollars. I know that Philip put a loooot of money in to his sound collection as I was around when he was making all the crazy purchases.
As Carter has stated. if we're wrong then we'll be happy to reinstate the link. But so far there is no proof, just temper tantrums from someone who didn't get their way.

2019-07-26 10:06:58

hey liam
i'm just wondering wich hollywood is  that
would love to listen its demo

2019-07-26 10:11:08

I'm not sure of the exact library. I know that PH uses a lot of sounds from the hollywood libs. hilip had picked them up before they got bought out by Sound ideas.

2019-07-26 10:55:08

@27
I would love to see your reaction after working extremely hard on a project you were proud of, all your own, just to have someone steal assets you spent lots of either money or time on. Suffice it to say, we would be reading tantrum 27*20 and you might disappear for, like, ever. Only joking of course.

Congrats defender BTW, looks like you've earned a place in his signature.

We're not trying to act like dicks here. For what it's worth I wholeheartedly agree with 31. We're not trying to discourage you, but I think it's important to understand just the amount of work that goes into a good project. If you don't feel like you have the ability to come through with that, development might not be for you. Especially if our concerns are met with pointless enraged outbursts.
So maybe a break or time away is what you need after all.

2019-07-26 11:39:57

#29 raises an interesting question.
Why are crazy party exempt from this rule. Yah yah, it's an old game, but it's still beeing updated.
Just like in the * real * world, if new legislation is passed, everyone most comply. While it is true, that you can't judge something, if the law didn't exist when that something was created, you can judge them for not complying with new legislation.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-07-26 12:00:00

Whoa whoa post 36, so now we're taking down links because it's, likely, that he got those assets out of q9? You just said that you know exactly what sound library they came from. I think it's about a 50 50 chance that he got them from the library or from the game. Part of me is wondering whether this is just an experiment to test out the new ruling. If you had known he got them out of a library would you have taken the link down as quickly? I know for a fact that there are bt sync folders full of copyrighted sounds floating around. Are you taking into account that he is 14 years old to decide that he probably didn't pay for the files? Would you as an individual be slower to accuse, and advise the moderation team to act against, a person you knew to have money and easier access to funds because you knew they were older/lived in a country with easier access to PayPal? It does seem kind of worrying. It was probably a fairly instinctual decision, but that sort of underscores the prejudice that is going around here. Now I'm not saying he legally obtained the sounds; i personally think he didn't. But I think that the action you took was hasty. A more moderate action might have been to advise people that we believe that the game is using copyrighted content and a warning that it will be removed in 14 days, and contact the developer to try and work something out with him, and then remove the link after 14 days which would give him plenty of time to find replacement sounds or show a receipt for purchasing the library.
Next point: It is easier to determine that he got those sound effects from the library or the game because they were used in isolation. Had he done some mixing, or used even a rudimentary audio effects chain to process the files noticeably without changing the essence of the sounds as blood splatter sounds, he probably could have gotten away with it. So really this new ruling is meant to catch low hanging fruit, as in the people who are so lazy they won't even minimally cover their tracks. It kind of makes the rule pointless, as I am sure anyone here could learn how to run a bunch of files through a batch processor to avoid detection. And you will be certain that by setting an example with this game, they're going to do it and evade the rulings. I guess it's good to have the rule to catch something, and the effort needed is so small that it's inconsequential so why not.

Oh and also, this topic is quickly devolving, so I will add the  standard
#FreTheKids

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-07-26 12:20:33

that folder really screwed up all the things
all the kidss now have the sounds and use them without a pease of something
yeah i'm in that folder too, but at least i'M not acting wierd

2019-07-26 12:25:07

Let me agree with 42. A lot of people have downloaded things like the SFX kit, and use them even though legally they do not have the right to use them.
41: Before you jump down my throat, realize I am not the one who pulled the trigger. Thanks.

2019-07-26 12:35:21

Well, technically if a new game is released and it is announced on the forum, to make sure that all the sounds have been legally optained the create would need to post all the reseats, bills and what not to the mod staff for approval? Sorry, but this rule is getting into absourt situations if it's enforced all the way through.

Greetings moritz.

2019-07-26 13:17:06

Yeah. I think this rule has a lot of issues. I mean how exactly can we prove we got those libs legilly? Basically we can't. I honestly think at the moment we should be worrying more about stolen code, though I do like it when games sound good this kind of rule is almost impossible to inforce. And most people on here probably know I'm not at all a fan of this simter guy, so I'm not at all picking sides here.

2019-07-26 14:03:12

I think this comes down to reasonable doubt.
Obviously we cannot check every game before it is posted, so occasionally stuff is going to get through. What we're talking about here is more of a reactionary stance, as opposed to a preventive one. If we can't stop it leaking, we can at least plug said leak when it occurs.
Of course, there are some games that are very, very obvious, and I'm personally of the opinion that double standards should not exist no matter how good or bad a game is. If it's full of copyrighted assets, then it's full of copyrighted assets; end of story.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-07-27 01:30:31

Jayde wrote:

Of course, there are some games that are very, very obvious, and I'm personally of the opinion that double standards should not exist no matter how good or bad a game is. If it's full of copyrighted assets, then it's full of copyrighted assets; end of story.

Then, by that logic, you guys have to take down cp links too.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-27 01:41:28

That kid gives the other respectable kids on this forum a bad name. I wonder if thats the way he behaves in school or at home. But in my period of playing audio  games, most of them share sounds. Either from Mason or Sam. So how are we going to enforce this? The owners of said content dont even comment. You guys should contact the content owners and ask them whether or not their work should be out in the public domaine. And even some sighted games not all of them share sounds. This will be a tuff law will be difficult to enforce and imo, this law will kill the audio games market. A lot of the audio game devs arent rich peoples which they can afford to own 8 Cadalac CT 6's and own 6 mansions in beverly hills. The kid is a 14 year old. You guys should revise this law.
PS, there is other games like this out there. To all the peops who say this is unique.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-07-27 01:41:30

Lol because it is relevant to this discussion, I invite you guys to check out the oddly familiar series on YouTube and see just how much sound and music game devs took from other sources.

2019-07-27 01:42:09

Also, he tried to upload this on the ATB forum. He should have learned from there.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here