2018-12-27 11:06:09

Hmm, I think I have a good way to add in such a feature Firefly.  I'll get that added and hopefully finish up this readme.  I don't know why I hate writing readmes as much as I do, but I keep taking a hundred breaks because I can't get my brain to just cooperate and write the darn thing.  I'll type out a few sentences, then I get this overwhelming urge to go do something else for 15 minutes, then maybe another sentence and I do it again.  It's like torture, ROFL!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 11:11:42

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Buddy, i understand you absolutely! It tears me to pieces every time i have to write a longer mail!

2018-12-27 19:10:05

I've posted the new version.  It adds in several very useful commands, and should allow most of you guys to make the games you're imagining.  Obviously this engine has a specific "feel", and you may need to be creative to get some of your ideas to work within it.

The old version had variables "good" and "bad", and I've replaced that with user defined variables.  I believe I left all of the old code in the engine, so anything you wrote using "good" and "bad" should still work, but moving forward it will be best to use the newer way of handling variables.

I really am looking forward to what people come up with.  I've been getting little ideas for different ways to do games on this engine, but I haven't had time to sit down and type any out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 19:48:24

Very very great! Will check it out after dinner!
Have you already added the turn based dice combat?

2018-12-27 20:22:34

No I never ended up adding dice combat because I couldn't think of a way to add it, without taking the engine in a completely different direction than this deck and cards approach.  I'm not against the idea, I just haven't seen yet how to make such a thing fit.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 21:14:49

No problem at all. I just wanted to know if it will be on your list. HAHA, and i dont wanted to start now and start again cause of a new implemented feature tomorrow.
Dont get me wrong. A somehow combatsystem would be very very interesting. But if we got now idea how to bring it in reasonable it would make no sense at all.

2018-12-27 21:47:53

With the current game engine features, I've been brainstorming ways it could be used to do different sorts of games.  At first I was going to keep these to myself, so that no one else would feel cheated if I share the same idea they had come up with themselves.  Also if I share an idea it may make others specifically not want to do that idea, for fear of not seeming original.  Actually even typing these last 2 sentences if starting to talk myself back into keeping the thoughts to myself, ROFL!

One of the thoughts was how to use the variables for things like stores, upgrades, or spells.  You could, for example, start the player with some amount of money.  Various cards could be describing an item on a shelf, where option 1 is to buy and option 2 is to pass.  If you buy, it lowers your money and adds extra cards to your deck related to this item.  If you pass, you lost your chance to buy this item, which of course changes the game each time you play.  Perhaps you like the item offered to you, but if you buy it you can't afford another item you hope you'll draw soon.  What if you pass and the other item isn't drawn in time though?  Those sorts of choices are very cool.

The upgrades idea could function a lot like the store, but perhaps it's a farming game and the "store" was an option to buy a new plot of land and plant potatoes on it.  Buying it adds in a card (or more) where you harvest potatoes for a profit, and that raises your money.  Basically some purchases could be thought of as investments, because they give you very rewarding cards that you may pick later from your deck.

Spells could be mana or power being used.  If someone was willing, nearly every card in the deck could add 1 to the variable, simulating the player's power recharging over time.  Perhaps monster encounters would have an option to use a spell (costing mana) that fends it off without you being hurt, or the non magic option that lowers the player's health (another variable).  Healing spell cards could offer to spend mana to raise health.  Store and upgrade/investment ideas could be added along with this to make something pretty expansive.  I'm actually excited to think of all the many ways this engine's options can lead to fun game ideas.

I just realized there is a game mechanic that's in the engine, but not shown in the readme.txt file.  I'll add it when I get some time, but it's one of those things that seems simple, but is rather hard to use in the right way.  It's a script [Clear], which tells the game to completely clear the player's current deck.  This was originally planned as a way to start up a whole new section of a game.  Sort of like advancing from level 1 to level 2, where you want them to start over with a whole new deck.  You would use [Clear], then add in several cards to get them started again.  This feature should totally work, I just never got around to using it in the Swamp Deck sample game, and forgot all about listing it in the readme.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 22:00:48

Love it, love it, love it! Thats exactly why i asked about the variables.

2018-12-27 22:54:57

OK, one last thing for today:
Could you expand your NextCard-Option?
I will give you an example:
I am still collecting ideas for my spacetravel-project. I would like to have some shippingtasks of different distance.
Short transport, middle range transport and long distance transport.
So i would like to draw the reach-targetdestination in 3 6 or 10 cards later.
HAHA! And of course i will have totaly randomly distance so maybe the poor ship is transporting the cargo for more than 30 turns. I dont have to tell you that a higher cargo-value will attrack some very nasty pirates, haha.

2018-12-27 22:56:07 (edited by Aprone 2018-12-27 23:00:37)

You know, I was just thinking that the [Clear] command could be used to have boss battle type situations.

So we imagine a game of the player exploring caves, with cards representing short fights with monsters.  Perhaps the magic idea from above is used, or whatever.  Store like cards could boost a variable that represents how much damage the player does, so buying the improved sword adds 5 to the $d damage variable.

You eventually reach the dragon boss, who uses variable $b for his boss health.  The card that introduces the dragon uses Clear to clear the whole deck, then populates it with cards about the battle.  Some cards you take damage, lowering your health.  Some cards inflict damage, lowering the dragon's health by your $d damage amount.  Heck, even armor could be factored in.  Lets say you would normally get hit by the dragon for 10 damage.  Your health $h lowers by 10 [$h-10].  Instead of this, lets say you have an armor variable $a that has a value of 2.  We will use a temporary variable $z to make this work.  Here is the new line of scripts:
[$z=10][$z-$a][$h-$z]  This starts out with 10 damage, then lowers the 10 by the current armor amount, and uses that new value to lower the player's health.

Unlike many other games, reaching zero health wouldn't represent an instant death, but rather it would add cards to the deck that kill the player.  I'm not sure of a good way around that, but that limitation itself isn't really a problem, just something different than I'm used to.

Added:
Once the dragon is defeated, technically the deck could be cleared again, and repopulated with dungeon and shop type cards again.  So the boss battle wouldn't necessarily have to be the end of the game.

Just an idea, but perhaps something to get other people inspired.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 22:58:25

Firefly, I'm not sure I'm completely understanding your extra NextCard idea.  Can you describe it in a different way for me?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-27 23:04:53

OK, lets try:
NextCard means that a special card will be drawn in the next ..... round.
And i would like to specify that a special card will be drawn not the next round but maybe 10 rounds later.

2018-12-27 23:30:33

Hmm, I do think I understand you now.  I'm not sure of a good way of doing that, just because newly added cards gets randomly shuffled into the player's deck.  The NextCard command randomly picks one of the target cards and moves it to the top of the stack.  Technically nothing would stop a command from moving cards into the top 10 cards, or into spots 10-20, ect.  The problem though is that as more cards are played between now and then, extra added or removed cards would start randomizing up the deck and there would no longer be any guarantee about the cards you wanted to show up.  Not sure if that makes sense, but basically by having cards set up to be drawn in the future, cards you draw between now and then are going to mess it up.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-28 00:44:43

Doez this engine feature a save system for a game in progress yet?

2018-12-28 01:09:09

No, but I think it's funny that I've gone this long without thinking of adding that!  ROFL!  When I get a chance I'll work on one.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-28 07:05:59

HAHA, No problem!
Here is my workarround:
For shortdistance i will add 3 reach_target cards. For middle distance 2 and for long distance only one card.
Maybe this will do the job, HAHA.

Do you plan to keep it that you only have two options for every card?
In some cases 3 4 or even 5 would be better.

2018-12-28 09:17:37

Hi!
I have noticed after playing only game, but not from dd, there are not played any music. Is It bug, or not?
Thank You.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-12-28 11:01:07 (edited by omer 2018-12-28 11:01:28)

ok this is my first attempt at making a game with this engine
heres the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvj11sqxecyby3c/dog.zip?dl=1
this is a basic dog similator, things can be go crazy sometimes,
keep your expectations as low as possible.
this one has 3 endings

2018-12-28 11:19:34

I was thinking of making a life simulator, with cards that make the player lose hunger, trip, buy stuff, eat, etc.

2018-12-28 15:49:47

Aprone, the game create a error.
---------------------------
Dynamic Deck
Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object
OK   

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2018-12-28 17:25:04

I have thought about letting cards have more options, but so far I've talked myself out of it.  It would be very easy to add into the engine, but in my experience limitations are what cause game designers to be the most creative, and those games created within very strict limitations are enjoyed more than their complex counterparts.  I can tell this sounds needlessly preachy, but it's something I've seen over and over in my life.

The old 90s console era forced game designers to fit their entire games into very tiny amounts of memory.  Graphics and sound abilities of the time were super limited and forced people to come up with ways around them.  The number of tricks employed by designers of those days were unimaginable by today's standards, yet those games are still held up as the classics.  Often times the sequels were packed with dozens of extra features, but were less fun to play in the long run.

All of this could be due to nostalgia though too, haha!  I'm willing to admit that this is all a theory.

I've also seen people ruin games for themselves that they loved to play.  Diablo and Diablo 2 come to mind right away, where I knew people who dumped huge portions of their free time into playing them.  I remember how everything would change for them once they finally downloaded cheats to give themselves extra items and spells.  Sure it was fun to finally have so many choices, but the struggle was over and they never looked at the game the same way again.  Limiting game designers to 2 choices per card is sort of the main struggle, and I worry about messing with it.  smile

I fully agree though, in some cases 3 4, or even 5 would be better!  ROFL!  I've had a lot of ideas where I could only make it work if this engine supported more choices per card, so I do understand why you've asked.  big_smile

Giovani, I think I forgot to include the music file in the zip.  Whoops!

Omer, I'll download this and give it a try!

Pates try running the checkup.exe file, and see if that solves it.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-28 17:34:32

Aprone wrote:

Giovani, I think I forgot to include the music file in the zip.  Whoops!

But It works with dynamic deck, but not with game. It is strange, so It is because of this, which you have mentioned?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-12-28 18:07:35

Oh, so when it is run in Dynamic Deck where it reads from cards.txt the music plays, but when the game is compiled it does not play?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-12-28 19:29:21

@Aprone: I absolutely get your point and i also get your argumentation. HAHA, one thing what i have to admit is that maybe i am looking at this from a little bit different point than you. I see a very very interesting and simple scripting-language and a damn nice concept to create little or maybe even not so little and complex games of RPG-style. And thats a awesome thing to play with. In your eyes it is a little cardbased engine.
The main point is: Do you want us to struggle or to create?
Please! Dont get me wrong or harsh or even worse! As i said, i realy get your point and you are wright with your example about the classic console age and their creativity cause of limitation.
Let me say this: When they released the PS2 they start using all of the opportunities and did not limited their selfes to PSX-Standards even if they could do so.
And thats my point. Your maker-engine is too good to be be limited!
But! It is your Engine and if you like this style, i can and will work with it!

Very best and friendly wishes!

2018-12-28 19:37:12

coppy the sounds folder, and the music file to the folder that you have placed that compiled .exe folder
then it'Ll work