2018-07-19 20:20:02

Thankfully, it appears that you can turn off Cortana suggestions after all. It's in settings, but I must not have noticed it before. There's a Cortana heading, and you can disable what it calls non-personalized suggestions. Non-personalized, my foot. If tracking your conversations and "helpfully" applying suggestions about what you want to say next isn't invasive, I don't know what is.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-20 11:35:16

post 73. instantBird still works for hangouts, but sadly, it doesn't support group chats. I never got mirranda IM to work with hangouts, but if there's something else, I, too, would be interested. hangouts is neat.
as for windows 8.1, I'll never understand why people hated that thing so bad. sure, the start menu was a total and utter failure. I never used it, and never will. but who needs a start menu, when you have a totally usable file explorer,rather, the same file explorer as in win10, except it doesn't lag? you also, just like in win10, have the context menu accessed by windows-x. you also have a charms window with windows-c. you still have your run dialog. windows-i, windows-e, all those win10 short cut keys also work just fine. 10 just got more cluttered, and you now have less control over your PC. I think I know why my win8.1 search box was so bad, though, I disabled it from being able to give me search suggestion, as I'd rather microsoft didn't keep a history of it. either ways, rant over.

2018-07-20 12:02:37

I still think win7 is about as close to a perfect windows you’ll ever get. Win xp was also good, though it’s kind of dated these days hence why I upgraded to win7. Win7 is basically windows xp 2.0 on steroids.

2018-07-20 18:28:23

very bad
i cant do my works in skype 8

2018-07-22 00:16:16

I wish Microsoft stopped this rubbish. They will never get me to use this crap. I'll stick with classic Skype until it dies and then... I don't know. By the way, both Google and Apple are better then Microsoft at making tablets so why is Microsoft even trying to get us to use this UWP crap? Shame on Microsoft!!!!!!!

2018-07-22 15:21:46

eating soi soi soi soi on microsoft, i don't want to use the new app , i'll never upgrayed to this shit, well, i will use the iphone app or maybe finding other wayse

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-07-22 22:43:39

Right then. How is the accessibility of the WhatsApp app for Windows? Is it another ridiculous web app or is it native?

2018-07-22 23:05:35

Draq wrote:

Right then. How is the accessibility of the WhatsApp app for Windows? Is it another ridiculous web app or is it native?

The WhatsApp interface, which is also a web creation,  is even worse than Skype.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2018-07-23 00:33:50

Heh. That's out then.

2018-07-23 15:20:56

hi
well I stopped using skype classic about a year ago and switched to skype for windows 10. It's not even close to the old skype, but much better than the new one. The functionality is somehow limited though, or at least some of the functions are hard to access.

:)

2018-07-23 17:49:35

st.mc wrote:

hi
well I stopped using skype classic about a year ago and switched to skype for windows 10. It's not even close to the old skype, but much better than the new one. The functionality is somehow limited though, or at least some of the functions are hard to access.

Skype for Windows 10 is usable, but it's just plain nasty to use. It's worse than the Electron app, in my opinion.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2018-07-23 19:20:09

Brows mode for nvda, turn off the virtual PC cursor in JAWS, at least I think it's that, and you're ready to go. After that it's almost the same as the clasic version, accept some interface changes. One thing that I hate is that the more options button isn't the shift+f10 menu, but it's not a big deal. Also not sure was it in skype 7 but in skype8, at least for emoticons, you can search, so that you don't have to move throo the milions of emoticons to find the right one, not like anyone uses emoticons anyway, emoji ftw! But either ways, it has a few nice thingies like previewing links, something that skype7 did but not as well as skype8 does, sharing your location, not like you'd want to share your location with an unknown person anyway big_smile, some things like quotes and /me messages are displayed in a better way at least for me, as well as some other things. Sure, the absents of / commands is rather complicated, but a tip, for changing the topic, go to the group settings button and click it, there you'll find the edit box and you can modify the text in it, I think that you can remove users from there as well but not sure, and, as in the old skype, the add to group button as it's called now is just before the chat list. Sure somebody mite find all of this problematic and some of the things are downright stupid, yes I am looking at you share location button, but it's not that bad, and I definetly won't leave skype just because of that.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2018-07-23 20:21:45 (edited by Ethin 2018-07-23 20:22:09)

OMG guys stop acting like Microsoft's deprecation of Skype Classic is the end of the world. There are alternatives. Many, in fact, if you know where to look.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-23 21:48:14

If you know where to look? Lol. That's not helpful.

2018-07-23 22:08:38 (edited by queenslight 2018-07-23 22:09:46)

For @BigGun and others,

In case folks did not see the happenings with Skype when using Jaws For Windows, check out the below link:

http://blog.freedomscientific.com/skype8/

In addition for NVDa users, you can also toggle "application Sleep Mode" via the following info:

Toggle application sleep mode on and off   
NVDA+shift+s (Desktop Layout)
    NVDA+shift+z (laptop layout)
    sleep mode disables all NVDA commands and speech/braille output for the current application. This is most useful in applications that provide their own speech or screen reading features. Press this command again to disable sleep mode.

You could also create an NVDA [profile, to keep said Skype settings saved for the  application in question.

Save configuration
    NVDA+control+c
    NVDA+control+c   
Saves your current configuration so that it is not lost when you exit NVDA

Revert configuration

NVDA+control+r (deksktop layout)
NVDA+control+r (laptop layout   
Pressing once resets your configuration to when you last saved it. Pressing three times will reset it back to factory defaults.
Source:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/doc … onProfiles

2018-07-23 22:22:16

@89, its not designed to be helpful. They're not hard to find.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-23 23:34:38

People don't even give constructive feedback and expect help. Just saying oh I will stop using skype does not help anybody. Either write a feedback, but not saying return classic skype, rather spend a day or 2 with the new app and tell them what do you dislike or say it here and somebody might help you. I'm sorry, but these comments just sound like somebody installs the new app, spends a minute to see that the interface is completely different and says oh screw this I'll just go away. Well, that is not how technology works. Things will change, and you must try your best to adapt to those changes. Sometimes they might be inaccessible, in which case we should all talk to Microsoft, but this isn't inaccessible and it is honestly just people being very lazy. Did anybody actually read that there are keyboard shortcuts for this new Skype? That there are jaws scripts for it or anything like that?

2018-07-24 02:12:14

Change itself isn't the issue here, at least not for me. The issue for me and a great many users is that they are pushing a very incomplete app while dropping one that actually works. They claim that this new app is better in every conceivable way, and yet it's not better in any sense of the word. Upgrades should be superior, not inferior. The way they're handling the transission is extremely sloppy.

2018-07-24 03:10:54

Alright, and why do not we write here what concretely is incomplete and why it is not better? I hear that all the time, but not reasons. I am not talking about the win 10 app here because I do not really use that one, but Skype 8. The only thing not added so far is split window view, but from reading this thread it has been mentioned that they will add that in the future. I've never used that so I do apologize for missing that, but apart from that thing which isn't really too huge deal to get used to, I must be missing something very obvious.

2018-07-24 03:27:08

Also, if your going to list how its "sloppy" and unfinished and all that, list it from a non-biased POV (or as close to that as you can get). That includes visuals and such. Ask other sited people what they think. If you'e going to claim something is "incomplete" and its something sited people use practically everyday, you'd best gather evidence from as many sides as possible before you go claiming that its "incomplete" or "unfinished" just because its not as accessible as you, in your opinionated beliefs, would like to believe. And yes, it is opinionated.

My Github

2018-07-24 04:19:27

Ethin, mind giving examples of apps that can replace Skype? Because I sure can't find any.

2018-07-24 04:39:35

@ethin

Very well. I shall let this Microsoft Community thread speak for itself. Also this post on the skype subreddit. I'm pretty certain that most of those people are sighted. Those aren't the only two pages, but that should be enough proof for you. To use your words, it's not hard to find if you know where to look. Try looking for it before you accuse me of posting about something I know nothing about again.

2018-07-24 05:27:28 (edited by Ethin 2018-07-24 05:31:16)

@97, never said you didn't know anything about it. Stop putting words in my mouth, thank you very much.
@96, Wire is a good one. If you subscribe to the opensource.com newsletter they usually include some good apps pretty much every time they release a newsletter. Also, guys... http://blog.krek.nl/article/reclame-cop … ype-8.html for some good news.

My Github

2018-07-24 07:36:06

Amazing blog post... Nothing is as good as Skype 7. People recommending wire interesting choice... I was never able to get anyone to use the thing, but good luck!

2018-07-24 10:36:27

like, poest 80