2018-07-24 15:03:31

Wow, what a constructive blog post. Couldn't  find my contacts? Damn, must be really hard to follow 3 tabs in an application. How to turn off automatic updates? Hmm, a place where you do that is usually settings. Anyways, clearly way too much research done on that blog post.

2018-07-24 15:14:27

first, the electron app kicks the win10 app to hell. I do use both apps as it currently stands, but the win10 one seems to be nowhere as polished up. as for post 91, I have even tried this before responding, sleep mode won't work with skype 8. I mean, sure it'll work, but you won't get speech feedback. and I'm pretty familiar with sleep mode, I use it more or less for all games, the only games that don't support it are swamp and RTR, so I should know this thing. if it does work, what am I missing? space-NVDA, to enter browse mode does, however, work rather nice.

2018-07-24 15:33:12

Thanks to the person that posted the Freedom Scientific blog post, I now have the list of Skype 8 keyboard commands. Maybe it won't be so bad. I'll have to play with the interface a little more. The link is https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1202 … m-in-skype

Skype is also gaining a cloud recording feature which sounds really interesting. All I need now is stereo audio and I'll be set.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-24 21:08:34

indeed. As I pointed out in the Microsoft community a few days ago, something can be accessible and still be a pain to use.

2018-07-25 03:20:01

Perhaps we could try to work out the interface of the ideal IM/vchat app? If we can't make our own (servers, market capture, security, maintenance...), then we can at least put it out there for someone in a better position to act on it to find?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-07-25 14:24:41

I'm going to miss split window view. I personally like each conversation in its own window.

If I can sort out who I'm talking to, can review old messages and can call people/accept calls/all that jazz, as well as reading the status of people in my list, I'll probably make do.

I'm not happy about this, but I'll live with it. One thing ostensibly being fixed is a long-time security hack, so skype 8 is not just a broken, shitty app. You may not like the design, but there is some business sense going into this decision.

Here's hoping they introduce an optional split window view. That's really going to bug me, I think.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-07-25 20:56:46

According to Peter Skillman, it's on the list of things to implement eventually. He made it sound like it was easier to do so in the UWP version.

peter skillman: Skype 8 response to feedback:  Can’t have conversations in separate windows.  In T1, possible to have split window view on Windows or separate chat windows on Mac. Customers using multimon are vocal-mentioned in most support channels.  Planned for UWP, investigating for new Skype 4 days ago from Twitter Web Client

2018-07-25 21:45:24

Is this the skype for win10 because I haven't been able to find a way of answering incomming calls and  there is know way to make your own key shortcuts.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-07-25 23:36:15

Skype for windows 10 is the UWP app. This is Skype 8, which is an Electron app which can also run on Windows 7/8.

2018-07-26 00:25:14

as before. blind people simply can't read. skype 8 is useble. the design works like skype 7 after disabling the curser or going in to aplication mode i think it's called with nvda. just learn the damn new keys and you'll be fine to go. stop wining and complainng like you people do with evreything else and try it out for at least 15 minutes

2018-07-26 02:15:31 (edited by Draq 2018-07-26 02:17:50)

@sito,

We "blind people" aren't the only ones with issues with Skype 8, as I've proven with the links I posted earlier. Just because something is technically useable by one person doesn't mean everyone else has to lie down and accept things. You may find the new interface acceptable to work with for your needs, and that's fine. That doesnt' mean you have to come here and insult those of us who don't find it acceptable. While I'm not a moderator and you definitely don't have to take me seriously, I would highly suggest keeping such arrogant and insulting comments to yourself.

2018-07-26 18:20:59 (edited by Ethin 2018-07-26 18:21:38)

@Draq, I wouldn't call that necessarily arrogant nor insulting. He does have a point. All us users can do if a company/person fucks up in our eyes is complain. The company/person doesn't have to do shit. They can keep going with what they wanted to do and not listen to us. (Apple has a very, very good history of this.) The major consequence of that though would be that company/person losing the user base they've gained through all those years of "hard work". But they can keep doing what they want to do if they so wish -- the users opinion doesn't really matter at all, whether you think it does or not. Plus, sometimes, that's pretty much all you an do: lay down and except it. Beyond hat there's really nothing else you can do in certain situations.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-27 04:00:42

Hello everyone. As some of you know, I am a fighter. I will fight for what I believe in or die trying. I have something that will help us all. A dear friend asked me to post this here. Please sign this and help us win our fight against a corporate machine. Machines don't value friendship. If not for one close friend, I wouldn't be here today. Please sign this so we don't lose our friends, especially if you are a Macintosh user.
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/let … sic-skype/

2018-07-27 04:11:04 (edited by Ethin 2018-07-27 04:14:06)

Wow! You actually.... just wow.... the nerve.....
I'll just say that this will never, never do anything. Petitions are not enforceable. Petitions have absolutely no weight. All they can do is persuade people, and if you can't persuade the lawmakers and "corporate machines" as you put it, it won't happen. Also, considering the fact that you didn't reveal your actual identity and used identity impersonation, this is more likely to ruin you in every way rather than to get attention (unless you enjoy getting disgraced by society). This is only going to make your impersonation even more public than it already is. Nice way to expose your impersonation to the entire world. Great job!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-27 06:45:34

yeah I sadly have to agree. I've emailed freedom science fiction and Microsoft about the new Skype thing but they won't listen, they don't care. fs are too busy raking in money and giggling about the fact that people will have to pay for the latest version of jaws to have any kind of use of Skype. meanwhile they have GW connect they could work on and give to us if they collaborated with Microsoft to allow that to happen but they won't because that may cost them a few new sales and they might actually have to get their people to do some work instead of doing what they are doing now and having doug lee do all the work for them and then possibly give him a little treet.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-07-27 09:40:48

That's not entirely true about JAWS. As long as someone's using JAWS 17 or later, they can use Doug Lees' scripts. It is rather unfortunate that people on a version lower than 17 have to upgrade just to continue to use Skype though. I had the same gripe whenever new versions of MSN Messenger needed a JAWS upgrade to work properly.

2018-07-27 11:29:14

The thing i really missed is the skype talking. Yes probably most of you don't use it but i actually liked it and was checking my things with it quickly

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-07-27 20:29:17

Question for NVDA users: How do you answer a call? someone over on the microsoft community is asking for a blind friend. The friend is used to simply pressing a keyboard shortcut, but 8 has no such shortcut now.

2018-07-27 22:19:29

Usually when you get a call, the call window automatically gets fosuc and then you just tab to the answer call with voice or video button and press enter. Sometimes it does not though, and then you need to focus skype and find the buttons manualy.

2018-07-28 00:26:15

does anybody know if viber is accessible? I'm looking for alternatives. the new Skype is useable but I really hate it. it takes 10 times as long to do anything and just frustrates me. apparently there is a desktop version of viber but I haven't tested it to see if it's useable. anybody got any experience?

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-07-28 00:42:30

That focus thing is annoying, I hope they fix it soon. With the old version of Skype, it would ring for a longer time. With this one, I find myself scrambling to answer the call in time, because, in my experience, the window does not gain focus as it should. Which actually is another can of worms, because I'm not sure that I like a huge splashy screen popping up and announcing to the world who's calling anyway. But if they're not going to give us universal keyboard shortcuts, then they really should fix it so that it will focus reliably so that you at least have time to answer the call.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-29 13:33:01

Hi,
Okay, so guess I'm also going to have to be unpopular, but I today decided to take the plunge and update to the latest Skype, thinking that I'll give it a shot and if I don't like it, start to look for alternatives. But I was actually surprised at how well it works, I tested it with one chat and a call so far. I found it easy enough to identify the chat, go into it and read/reply to messages and with a combination of using the regular NVDA web interface hotkeys and the quick find feature, I find it faster compared to the classic version, where you have to press tab about a hundred times to get around. The split window will be missed but since I don't have that many chats, it's not the end of the world not to have it around.
As for keyboard shortcuts, that list posted above isn't particularly clear, the command given for "starting an audio call" (ctrl + shift + P) in fact also answers an incoming call and ctrl + e ends it.
It would however be nice to customise the keyboard shortcuts, as well as the ringing time before it goes to voicemail.
I'm obviously going to keep playing around with it, but so far I'm surprisingly happy, especially since I'm also rather sceptical about Microsoft products and how they bring out updates, but I feel they are actually making a reasonable effort towards accessibility these days.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2018-07-29 13:56:28

Thanks for your personal review. This is exactly what I've been wondering, why all the fuss over the new version? It's accessible, works well, etc. I guess some people don't like change, because to many, change = inaccessible. No, not nowadays. This is the reason JAWS was able to market virtual ribbons as a "feature": people refusing to adapt.

2018-07-29 21:22:59

What exactly does the NVDA add-on for Skype 8 do?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-29 23:35:20

Prevents double speaking of some buttons, and some more things but for the exact description, when you install it you can go to addons manager, highlight it and choose the about addon button.