2022-01-01 13:11:25

@75.  if people took the time to read the damn thread.  In short, this is a MushClient-powered set of scripts that tries to bring a little life back to the game.  It includes a bunch of typo/wording fixes, some new sounds (more hopefully to come), smoothes over some glitches, and even finishes adding a feature or two.

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2022-01-05 03:31:37

moderation:
rafalko112, I'm giving you a caution. I think #75 was likely meant sarcastically and further muddled by the language barrier, but please understand that Zargonbr was only trying to help you. There was no reason whatsoever to imply that he wasn't thinking. In the future this will be seen as a personal attack.

2022-01-05 21:11:43

Well, if I have not to be angry, since I turn out that I just wanted to check if the host itself works like this? As he would work, it does not matter where I would start him. If Vipmud Telnet Mush could play without sounds, but I could. This time, the host and the port do not work at all. This is a game that is hidden. Just like Dream Mud.

2022-01-07 01:10:14

@78 this game is not to be played as a default mud, therefore you cannot use default telnet and vipmud to connect. only mush client is possible to connect. what's the part you don't understand?

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2022-01-07 16:42:46

I don't understand that thing when i install pack is error connection. to localhost port 3000

2022-01-07 16:53:10

Local means from your location. In other words, you are launching your own server with the game on it, then connecting to it from the same computer.

2022-04-07 23:34:00

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but for reference and amusement (and because others have clearly and accurately answered the questions above), it is technically possible to play the game using any client - telnet, vipmud, putty, whatever. Your experience just won't be very pleasant, because, especially in the case of my mutilated version of the game, a lot of the sounds have been shifted to Mushclient for playing rather than the original executable.
That's the goal of Socketwrap as a whole: take any terminal application, and make it reachable over the network. In theory, you could play the game from a completely different machine if you wanted to. I've considered this in the sense of "can I run a remote server that makes the game available from wherever without needing people to run Socketwrap and their own local copy", but while it might be possible, I suspect there's quite a bit of work that would have to be done in the realm of maintaining instance of the game for each individual connection.
Socketwrap is pretty flexible, and my launching script does not use much of its capability. That said, I'm going to leave that experimentation for others to undertake.

As a final note, while I do have this thread in the back of my mind and try to check it from time to time, if there is still genuine interest in this pack/project or folks have questions, I'd advise you to reach out via the contact form on my site, as that will likely net you a faster response.

2022-04-08 15:05:00

the game sometimes randomly disconnects me, it says something like blabla demands.  I'll edit the post with the error soon.

2022-04-08 17:14:29

I still can't make saves in this one right?

Who am I? Simply me!

2022-04-08 18:49:50

I think so yes

2022-08-29 23:25:40 (edited by john 2022-08-29 23:25:57)

I've just posted update 6. This contains a lot of under-the-hood plugin modifications, but does also fix a couple small bugs (see changes for specifics).

2022-08-30 07:53:56 (edited by necrozma 2022-08-30 07:55:40)

hi.
i tried to follow instruction to install this pack.
however, Unable to connect to "the wastes", code = 10061 (Connection refused) error is keep happening.
even the install or startup commands doesn't work.
what should i do? also, when i press enter, i see a strange dialog box saying the connection to the wastes is not open. attempt to connect? or something.

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2022-08-30 17:27:46

I am having the same problem.

Who am I? Simply me!

2022-09-13 18:40:22

Without knowing exactly what state your clients are in, it's difficult for me to guess why you're seeing this error.
The message asking you if you want to connect is MushClient, which generally doesn't expect you to want to type things while not connected to a world. If the game server isn't running though, there's nothing for you to connect to.
To try and give you some more info, here's the list of steps that need to happen, in the order they need to happen:
First we have installation of the pack.
1. You need to install MushClient, and create a new world. It sounds like you've already done this.
2. You need to download the plugin file, and install it in your world. When you do this, it will prompt you with some questions, before telling you it's ready to install. If you haven't been asked about things like tts and ascii graphics, you need to install the plugin.
3. You need to type install and press enter. The client will then work for a while, downloading and setting things up. If you haven't installed the plugin though, you can't do this.

Next we have actually running the game:
1. You need to be in MushClient, with your world open. It sounds like you're already here.
2. The game server needs to be running. This can be handled automatically by the package if you enabled it, or you can force it by typing startup. If you see the dialog asking if you want to connect to a world when you type startup, the plugin isn't installed. Startup is one word, lower-case.
3. You connect, and play away.

2022-09-13 19:53:54

Question: would it be possible to make it so that progress is saved to the server?

2022-09-13 22:38:39

Save games in the generally considered sense are impossible.
Remember: at the most basic level, the only thing I can do is work with text and trigger things (like sounds) off it. For example, the way to fix a typo is to hide the original line and print a replacement instead. I can't do anything that impacts the real game state.

If you close the client while a game is in progress, you should be able to reconnect to it and resume where you left off, with the caveat that the pack will be confused for a little while, and your damage statistics will reset.
If you have NVDA's WinWizard add-on, you can drop the server out of your alt tab order.
Combining these two means you can effectively hide the presence of the game and return to it at a later point, but there is no way to recover if the game itself closes.