2016-10-10 08:39:36

Hi everyone. The time has come to finely show everyone why not to use NVDA remote. That could be a bad way to start this but... I'm sorry if so. A situation happened ware we were connected with control another machine to a non auto connect key, that resulted in los of data. And you know what else? The dev of remote, tyler spivy was responsible for the loss of data to over 10 computers at a time. Check out this page and listen to the included recording of him laughing about it to find out. http://samtupy.com/UnsecureRemote
I hope this helps impact use of the software in the future. I hate to start anything, but now that I have obtained audio undeniable proof, I feel that I can strongly warn people against using this remote client. There will be some things I'm sure we will all use it for such as controlling windows servers etc etc, but please, take this to mind, and be careful. As careful as possible.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2016-10-10 09:12:46 (edited by Sam_Tupy 2016-10-10 09:14:09)

Edit: This was in responce to a now deleted post about how the code error was NVDA's and how remote is not to blame. This post has been deleted, but I will still keep my reply.
Hi. I can see what you are saying to a certain extent. I think that we both have slightly different views on things. While NVDA is part of it, the keyhook I got locked into was indeed NVDA remote. This provented me from restarting my NVDA, shutting down safely, etc etc. And the way I look at it, He used remote to expand an NVDA issue. He didn't get crashed, everyone else did because he recoded / added to remote. And lets look at this from a different point of view. If I make some security software and someone uses it on there computer. The software has the ability to run system commands encase of maybe a hack or something. Well, in windows, if you kill csrss.exe, the system instantly bluescreens. So if I decide to be a dick and type that command and bluescreen the computer, is it windows fault? No, it's my fault and the software's fault, even though it is a windows issue. When I connected to that key, I clicked an option that says control another machine. This expressly implies that my computer is not to be controled or tampered with, that I am controling another machine. But a bunch of clients were crashed. Yes, it can be considered more of an NVDA thing, but it's still remote that caused it, thus in my opinion, is what to blame. Also, lets look at it from a clients point of view. Especially if I don't know much about computers and this happens, I ain't gonna give 2 shits who made the coding error because that's not what madders. The dev of the remote software I was using crashed me with it. Lets take the unix processer. You set the time to unix_timestamp-1 second, good buy to your system, at least in a way. So what if apple decided to be a dick and somehow remotely set some random iPhones to timestamp-1. Would you blame the unix processer? Or apple.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2016-10-10 09:16:42 (edited by stargate 2016-10-10 09:45:29)

My bad. I'll repost what I wrote. I felt I rambled too much and was going to re-write it; but since you responded to it I'll put the original back.

I've been watching the Twitter conversation as it unfolded. You really must not like NVDA Remote, because this has nothing to do with it. It is an NVDA bug that Tyler took advantage of, and reported to the NVDA developers back in 2014. And yet, once again, you clame that NVDA Remote isn't secure, but this has nothing at all to do with security. What Tyler did was a dick move, but you're spreading false information. Not only that, but I see Toth showing nothing but professionalism to you, and he's already trying to figure out how to go about resolving the bug in NVDA that Tyler took advantage of. Yet, you still want him to do something more. You're not happy with him attempting to fix the bug that you're crying about, so what more would you have him do? I understand you've lost data, and that's unfortunate, but to put it bluntly, shit happens and there's nothing that can be done about it now. In the future, it may be wise to use NVDA Remote as it was intended, and not screw around on Twitter making the keys you're using to connect with public.

Keep in mind I'm not defending Tyler at all. I'm just saying that I think you're trying to attract attention to an issue that isn't as much of a problem as you think it is.

2016-10-10 09:19:52

Direct quote from Sam's recount: "Ivan soto posted on his twitter, everyone, if you want to fuck me over, connect to this key, 123. This resulted in over 10 people connecting to said key."

So you're telling me that you're saying this program is unsafe, after he had 10 people connect to his computer. To add to this, he specifically asked people to fuck his computer over. Now, we have Tyler, an insanely good hacker, as well as the creator of the addon. Ivan specifically, willingly, and indirectly gave him permission to access his computer.

Now, I'm not a programmer on the level your friend group is. However, I do know that if you allow people that you don't know to connect to your computer, shit is going to go down. Sure, Tyler shouldn't have done what he did, but cmon, you brought this on yourselves.

2016-10-10 09:23:45

Hi ross. If you remember, first. We were connected to that key as listener, or controler. Ivan brought this on him self, not the people who chose to connect. And then ivan disconnected, and tyler connected with clear intensions to get us, not ivan. Sadly the conversation wasn't recorded, but everyone on the channel will agree with me. Tyler was dissing us about hacking ivan, even though he posted the key. And tyler is the dev of the addon, you'd not expect that from him. If I had said allow this machine to be controled, yeah then ok it's my fault. But no, I just happened to connect to 123 because ivan told us to. The dev of the addon then came and interrupted the session by crashing all the controlers, not hosts.

2016-10-10 09:26:57

I want to write a few things here, because I have very mixed feelings about this.
First, I don't care where the issue is or what caused it, Tyler or anyone who received money for writing this add-on should not be abusing it, regardless of how stupid it was to share a key and ask people to do something or connect to your computer. This is the point I've been trying to make on Twitter. I'm not sure why people rushed to Tyler's defense, because what he does is not really any different from what he's done before. This isn't a one time mistake.

Now with all of that said, I do realize I was slightly unreasonable here, I was mostly irritated that something like this was taken advantage of. The recording does sound heavily edited and mostly really just consists of a bunch of kids screeching and yelling and throwing out buzzwords. The issue here is certainly a problem and I was unable to follow everything going on before I finally just gave it up as a lost cause. Tyler has mentioned that the issue is of taking control of people's synths, but if someone's system was controlled when it wasn't supposed to, which I think might have been what the recording might have been getting at, this needs to be brought to light.

Otherwise, Thanks Chris for looking into this and trying to fix it and this has spun out. I do think that the add-on needs to be evaluated; I honestly don't trust that it is secure, especially the server portion which as far as I'm aware is not open source. Really Tyler's actions show some form of mallace and are not excusable; sadly, this brings the entire add-on into question for me.

2016-10-10 09:27:41

Sam

I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the point. When you allow your machine to be connected to, that still allows a tiny bit of room for hackers to work; you of all people should know this.

2016-10-10 09:28:07

I agree that what Tyler did was a dick move, and it's unfortunate that NVDA Remote was used to do it. It's even more unfortunate that Tyler was one of the developers of NVDA Remote.

This doesn't have anything to do with the security of NVDA Remote though. I share Toth's opinion that when you make posts like this, people are going to jump to conclusions and assume that NVDA Remote has some giant security flaw in it that makes it unsafe to use. In truth though, as long as you use NVDA Remote for its intended purpose and don't go sharing keys, something like this won't happen.

2016-10-10 09:29:21

Hi sorressean. If you want just the part of the recording of tylers voice, I can post it. Also, it was not edited at all, but it was team talks recording feature cutting out. We were all pretty much freaking out at that point.

2016-10-10 09:33:48

Also, what was your friend talking about the login screen looking different? I'm fairly certain that didn't happen and he was just contributing to the fear mongering.

2016-10-10 09:33:58

Hi.
Ok, one quick question.
The only times I use NVDA remote is when someone needs to do something at my machine.
We normaly do this the following way.
We connect over skype so we have voice contact, and the person connects to my computer and does the stuff he needs to do, and after that, we just disconnect from each other.
So, what could the person do to my files, please keep in mind that I am always sitting at the computer and have an eye on things when I am remotely connected.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-10-10 09:34:13

Hi. Ross, of course I know what your getting at. Here is a point to consider. It is so easy to get someones NVDA remote key with remote.ini, that you hardly have to share keys. And lets not forget the keyhook which was remote. I guess I just feel that it was remote that conducted it, what was used to actually freez the system, I never saw that counting really. Like blaming oxygen for exploding and killing people, or feeding fires. Just my opinion on that particular matter. My biggest thing is tylers responce. He knew this for months yet didn't fix it. As a client, if I wasn't that good at programming etc, i'd think there was a huge ass flaw in remote. And if you want my honest opinion, NVDA is just being used in this situation to make one.

2016-10-10 09:35:50

Simba, you should be fine using it just like that unless someone gets the key, doubtful for a quiet and pieceful session. Stargate, that lock screen thing, no one was sure at that point. We wern't creating feer, we were trying to figure out what happens. If you keep listening till after tyler comes, we all realize that no one else was being controled, etc etc.

2016-10-10 09:36:49

Sam

Fair enough. I do agree with you about how the remote.ini file needs to be hidden a bit better.

2016-10-10 09:37:05

@stargate: that's the only question you had after listening to that? Did you happen to miss the line about someone injecting a NSA payload into the nexus through the matrix which then made the login screen look different?

2016-10-10 09:40:35

Lol yeah, the beginning of that file is total chaos and speculations. You may as well skip it and wait until they start talking in notepad. I just wanted to be as honest as possible and include everything that happened. Come on, what would a huge croud do if there was the sound of someone dropping a huge box on the ground onto someones toe. How many terrorest speculations do you think there would be. big_smile

2016-10-10 09:43:23

Um.
If someone were to drop a huge box onto someone's toe, they would presume that someone just dropped a box on someone's toe. I don't know why a terrorist would be mentioned.
Also speculations is a big reach for those. They literally made no sense. It's like getting a bunch of village idiots to diagnose heart failure.

2016-10-10 09:46:31

What I ment was the sound. It it was large enough and landed right, it could sound like a gunshot if the sight was not scene. And yeah, i'm sure it did. There were like 7 people in that TT channel all with computer problems with different ideas of what caused it. If you disect each thing from each person it won't sceme like were all as mentally retarded as what it scemes now, but etc. Wait, injecting an NSA payload into the nexass? I do not recall that, in fact I know that was not said at all. big_smile

2016-10-10 09:52:42

Ah, good old remote.ini, is this? Honestly I'd rather not listen to hour long recordings, because I'd really rather just hear the problem rather than a recording. But somebody bitched about remote.ini being a security flaw, however it's not like Cris can actually do anything to fix that, since the addon is open source. Anyone with access to the source can just get the encryption out. So please, everybody, this is just people making a big deal out of something and turning it in to something it's not. Or at least that's what it seems like to me.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-10-10 09:53:27

It's not through those words exactly, but yes. 8 bit login screen, a payload, someone mentioned the bios and recovery (which is after the bios), someone also mentioned embedding a file... just the random bits of technobabble that really made no sense. but yes. I was a bit confused why they thought their screen was ported to the NES.

2016-10-10 09:53:58 (edited by stargate 2016-10-10 09:54:36)

I heard them mention payloads several times and it made me laugh. I paused the recording soon after he said that his login screen looked 8bit. I'm listening to some more now.

2016-10-10 09:56:59

@slender, this has nothing to do with remote.ini. I brought it up, but no, this is different, involving a developer of NVDA remote crashing there clients. At least read the text on the linked page which explains things. The recording is there for proof.

2016-10-10 09:57:31

I'm not really sure why remote.ini is the problem... or even a problem. You're complaining that someone who has access to your computer can get your keys. Which is really how things generally go. Don't allow people access to your computer. If the client "hid" them, it's open source and people would just know where it is. This isn't STW where it's okay to scatter files through people's harddrives to check if they're banned. If it was encrypted, you'd have to have a password to launch NVDA remote or it would have to be a uniform key, which again would be stored... you guessed it, in the source. Or maybe we should encrypt the encrypted data, then store it on an 8-bit screen before embedding the payload file in the matrix.

2016-10-10 10:02:41

big_smile big_smile big_smile I love it. That will always be a source of comedy now, the beginning of that recording. Roooooooooofl. I think remote.ini is an issue just because it's so easy to get the keys. It may not be able to be fixed, but it's a step away from leaving the key in the lock. The real issue is a developer fucking over his clients.

2016-10-10 10:04:23

Also sorressean, tyler did agree that the screen probably went 8 Bit him self, and the person who said that went and got sighted proof, so that actually probably happened.