2016-10-01 03:15:32

Hello all. Although i have not posted in a while, i am still up to date mostly with what's going on as i have come on undetected via guest. I have started playing star wars mud cuz, well, i'm a hard core fan so why not??? But although its cool, a few things: 1, my mush isn't really working correctly for some reason and 2, well its not really the same. Whitch brings me to my subject: Could somebody resurrect dmnb? That was a pretty epic game, and its just gone. Isn't it still possible to host a server with out source as some people (me included) still have the game on my system and would gladly send it to somebody if need be. But yeah my question is, could somebody possibly recreate that game? Or if they have to, recode it? There are more than a few great developers on here (steven D, aprone, sam tupy) just to name a few of them, and if one person can't why don't multiple programmers work together to recreate it if possible? Or if it isn't needed, could somebody just host a server for it? I would like to get this star wars mud working propperly in the meantime though, seems pretty interesting lol, also if anybody knows any other cool space muds if this dmnb thing can't be done with dmnb.... Well i'd be glad to hear them as space is awesome.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2016-10-01 05:02:32

Hi rori!
although I have an idea for a new game but I don't have enough knowledge to programme that.
as far as the concern of reserection of DMNB
I don't think that the src of this game is available
even it is
then it is coded in pure basic.
the most difficult and low level programming language.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-10-01 09:20:38

Fortune's fronteer and dmnb source are both gone from what I can tell and danny was always the only one who had access to them. So bringing any of these games back wouldn't be easy as they would need to be completely rewritten. But anyway, I would find it very disrespectful if say aprone decided to remake it, and then you needed a caldobsky account for the online mode, as in dmnb the online mode was free and this was going to be the same in ff. I don't even know if someone should recreate it in the first place, because its still danny's game and he should voice his opinion about the recreation before anything happened. With that out of the way, if people want a space game, they can program one in python, which is what ff was programmed in or pb which is what dmnb was made in. Or even bgt for that matter, the downside with bgt verses python is you can't have the badass environmental effects that the dm games had, I'm not sure it supports the tolk library for screen readers and it is just plain a lacking language so the new game wouldn't reach its full potential with bgt. Sure it would be awesome, but it could never get as awesome as ff was right before danny quit it. Or we could all just forget about this dm and ff business and play cosmic rage... smile

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-10-01 12:56:59

Remember, dmnb was based on deadspace. So if someone makes a similar game, I don't see how that is disrespectful, it'd only be disrespectful if you give your game the same name and make an exact replica.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-10-01 18:08:18

I don't think it'd be too disrespectful, i mean, danny deleted the whole game with out telling anybody and only did when somebody asked, and his reasons were because of personal problems, when he could have easily just handed it off to somebody else. He knew he had a lot of people playing it. Kut back to the original topic, I really don't think it would be too disrespectful as danny has also seemed to have left the forum entirely from what i can tell.

2016-10-01 21:23:22

OK, yes. This post does mean i'm back in game development, i'm still maintaining my distance from the community. However, I need to make clear 2 things. First off, I did not just simpply up and end fortune's frontier with out telling anyone and with out asking. When I ended fortune's frontier, I kept the sources in deleted archives, posted a note to my beta testing team, asking them weather they, as beta testers, wanted me to find  someone else to takeover the project. I was willing to stick it out long enough to find someone else so that the testers could continue testing and the project could continue, with out my intervention, but the general response from the testing team was that i'd not be able to find anyone to replace me in developing the game, and that from hents forth the hole project had been a waist of time. Now, why did I not then go on here and ask for possible people to takeover the project? Because I don't believe just anyone should do it. If I leave a project I want to leave it in good hands if I can, because I cair enough to make sure you guys get what I said the game had. Isn't that what you would want? Pluss, from the response of my testing team, I gathered they wern't intrested in continuing with the testing of the game if I was not involved. Which brings me to the second problem of why I let it go in the firstplace. I won't go into the personal problems seeing as I whent into them in the project alpha topic, and you all have already pointed fingers at me calling me another mtg or the second mason. So to save you the trouble, I will just state this, loud and clear, and hope that stops coming up. Lets explain this using an analagy. Picture dmnb as a drug, right? Now picture it going down from over indulgance, as a drug overdose. If I had not stopt, put the coding keys down and thrown away ff, and got though's personal problems out of the way? Answer me this. What do you think would have happened again to ff, just as it did to dmnb. If your answer was another drug overdose/it would have gone down, you are 100 percent correct. Now, yes. I will be returning to game development, and I am already looking at a new project, i'm not giving any details however. Its not coming now, and it possibly won't be for a while since I still have some problems to overcome in my personal life. With that in mined, I have no problem if someone decides to make their own version of dmnb the way it used to be. As a matter of fact i'd be intrested in acquiring the sounds for both dmnb v1 and v2 again as I no longer have them thanks to a hard drive crash. With this in mined, I also have 1 thing to ask. I do require personal space in order to get my development work. As I said in the project alpha topic, if you have a problem with what i'm doing, come out and state it, but please, don't make a big ishue out of it. I'll get to it when I can. The same thing applys towards good compliments. I don't mined the every now and again good work or nice work posts, but please. Don't over do it. 1 post does the trick, and if I say enough, please, let it be enough, don't keep on pestering me about it. Now that i've got that out of the way, I will say this. While I know my previous work has been free, it is high time I start charging for my new work if it gets released.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2016-10-01 21:44:05

here are the dmnb v1 and ff sounds, I don't have the ones from v2 unfortunately.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16447459/sounds.7z

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-10-02 17:44:53

And here's the link to dmnb v2 sound effects:
https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s … sounds.rar

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2016-10-02 19:58:29

Hi danny.
Its good to see you back, I gave you up for lost.
On the subject of dmnb, yeah I admit my prospects of the game differed.
I know you came at this from deadspace, however I came at it from a startrek type as I hadn't and still as yet not really delved into deadspace universe at all a thing I really should do.
I realise the shortfalls.
One thing I'd like done, would be the revamping of project alpha.
Maybe without all the extra junk, even if you left things at dmpa v1 standard, no complex flying, nothing like that, the basic crappy crap that we all loved in dmpa, and got that story revamped.
One thing that you did do was push out to many things to quickly.
While basic I enjoyed the 1d/2d side scroler now I know thats not what you want to do I realise that, but I would be happy to continue playing in this reguard.
One thing I have been think of though is instead of doing as you did before and hard code the dialog for the main story into say the program files like you previously did, I think the new whatever it is could be an engine, which loaded mission files similar to an interpreter for interactive fiction.
The game would have a demo, maybe the engine itself could be sold, all missions would be free, and you could play them fully even if you didn't buy but you could sell developer access or something to that at a low cost.
I'd like abilities to fully mod the game, including the main story bits like enemies to whatever I'd like and load that as a custom mission, change weapons etc.
You could also charge a little for online play for things.
Now  I won't fudge this, I do realise I can not be as active as I could due to life and such especially now I have a few more testing jobs under my belt however I would try again to do something with this if it ever came to light again.
One thing that was done before was the attempt to develop everything at once.
We had new things on new things all the time and maybe we shouldn't have done that at the start.
I think dmpa  was a stable engine still is.
Dmnb v1 while quite basic was as far as I cared quite good for what it was, there was enough to do.
I know you really didn't want to continue in the treky type thing, maybe that project could have been moved to somewhere else or simply had development stopped there was enough to do and I am confident that if it had remained as it was after all the extra mining and custom building was in that we would have had a steady trickle of users.
As to paying for the games yes I'd pay for the games maybe not necessarily the main story but if it had good enough replay value I'd put 20 bucks into this.
I am unsure about online mode.
Life has changed a lot since last I did things.
Time I do have, but its in fits and starts, I for example couldn't commit to a constant online test at a spaciffic time for instance though I could commit to testing online.
Syncing up with real time events would be good but it would be hard.
Idealy you would have events for certain sides of the world as well as the main events.
For the last post before mine, remove www from the link and the sounds will download.
One thing I didn't agree with was some of the ambience sfx in dmnb v2, as they all sounded the same.
If this does start though maybe the next test team needs to buy into the game so at least you have some cash to startup.
Knowing what you have done before and what I know I can do or in some cases not do I'd never the less like to test for you again, if that means I give you 30 bucks for a seat so be it.

2016-10-02 20:39:24

My idea would be more soly online, with a storyline driven type missions system a bit like wing commander mush if anyone ever played that, mixt with some proper not the cheap stuff done in ff but proper 3d rotation where you'd turn towards an object, which i've got a handle on now. Mix that with some of the old moo vast space's systems of custom ship design and revampt space combat and you've got the basic idea of what i'm fully going for. As for dmnb v1, its not soly just the activities that made me wanna take it down, its the fact that it was notoriously unstable and unlike the lag, no matter what I tried to plug the crashes with they just kept coming. Eventually it got to the point where I had to rewrite because not only were the crashes making the game unbaribly annoying to play, they were starting to make players lose data. Though much of that can be attributed to 2 factors. 1, The game was my first serious attempt at an online game in audio, and 2, because I had just kept adding feature on feature with out being able to get some serious bug work done on the code, partly because of me not speaking up enough that it was time to stop with suggestions.

2016-10-03 07:59:39

Hi Danny.
Wow... I didn't expect you to come back. What an awesome surprise...
I totally agree that you need to charge for all the great work you're doing. Yes, that will exclude some players from playing, but we can't expect everything to be free, especially not quality products.
Regarding the contact to the community, I'll suggest you choose only one or two ways for us to contact you. Maybe through the forum and by mail. Then keep your Twitter, Skype and other things private to give you a private life as well. In this way you can check the forum and the mail when you feel like doing it.
I wish you the best of luck, both with life and your future development.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-03 15:23:15

hi SLJ
there are two kind of people in this world.
one who knows their abilities and their skills and according it they work.
whether it is a game development or some other.
2nd type of people are those who just know that they are meant for that but they did some other things
and then return and said that the thing they decided is not good and pointless and again return and then wants to confident you that they will do a massive hit.
My question is that
How do you adjust your believe if this is a situation?
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-10-03 21:48:59

just to say what i think in this topic
i setted up dmnb v 2 with some friends, we got far in to it, we got all ships from both v 1 and v 2, we solved some buggs with them, and found a solution for the server crashes. shortly most things worked as it should, but we couldn't make the mitions which is the reason why this game is so fun, simply because we don't have the sorce and only danny had it, otherwise the game were fully plaieble and we managed to get some very cool stuffs to work. but because we didn't have the sorce we put the server down. so unless danny don't have the sorce to dmnb v 1 and wants to give it to the comunity we can't host a server

2016-10-03 22:33:59

I agree with post 14 on that one: Although there were server crashes, there are ways around that. If the code was given out to somebody else or even offered up on the forum the game would still be up and someone would have hosted a server for it.

2016-10-04 02:14:20

Look. Guys. That's kind of inconsiderate. Danny took DMNB down for a reason-- he knows why, and he knows that he doesn't want to put it back up, hopefully you guys know that now too.
  Yes, DMNB was fun. It was addicting, and we all, including Danny even, spent countless hours livin' it up there. But do you know what Danny was doing when he wasn't livin' it up? Dealing wwith misconduct, fixing numerous bugs and crashes, all the while trying to please a community instead of himself with a creation. DMNB left a bad taste in his mouth, and it's something that marks a rough, I mean really rough, patch in his past. He does not wish for it to be put back up, and he does not wish to assist people in putting it up by fixing bugs for your servers and what not. If you want a DMNB like, go create it. I wouldn't say call it DMNB and give it the same story, but make a game just like it if you want that so bad. But could you all (post 13 and above) leave Danny alone about this? Or if you're not going to, you can't expect to somehow get a miracle out of your complaints and attempts to work around the stone hard truth, that you suddenly have DMNB v1 back again, better than freaking ever.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-10-04 06:38:35

Besides, even if I had fortune's frontier or dmnb v1 or v2, even if I had any of their sources after be it in deleted archives or some place I hadn't purged them in the past, your out of luck now. My old windows vista computer that I coded dmnb v1 and v2 on is in storage and is not getting plugged in unless its getting a wipe, and fortune's frontier's deleted archives completely expired when the computer I was using had a hard disk failure, I was lucky enough to be able to even salvage the fortune's frontier sounds never mined the code. And yes. I know i've made mistakes in the past. I'm not asking you to forgive me for them. I understand that because of the dmnb and ff projects i've lost supporters, which was bound to happen eventually. I'm posting this because i'm getting rather worryed about how people seem to be about this dmnb biznis, which effects future developments. I'll reitterate what people have said to me a countless number of times. Dmnb was a game. A product produced for the entertainment of people and at the time when I started development, because I wanted to produce it and see what it would be like for space in audio. This is no different to when a band produces an albom. Yes, they announce alboms, and projects get canceled all the time. Let me draw comparisons to 2 of my most favorite bands, pink floyd and the eagles to try to explain this one more time. Both bands have been critically aclaimed for their alboms. Both bands no longer work on alboms together. The members may do solo projects, but no more alboms together. Hents, it doesn't sound the same. I want to ask you something here. Say you listen to these bands and you love their alboms and your a hard core fan. But would you go up to, say, don henly of the eagles or roger waters of pink floyd and call them out for deciding to do something else with their lives? If the answer is no, then why do you continue to do this exact thing towards me. I'm a human being just like those people, and while i'm not saying show me some admiral respect, i'm saying show me enough respect to understand that dmnb is dead and gone. I know everyone goes through their aubsessive phases in life at one point or another and yes, it can hert when those aubsessions are taken away. It also can be tremendisly disappointing when something you were looking forward to gets canceled. I know the feeling. But, and consider this a life long lesson, somethings are just not ment to be. Not everything goes your way regardless on how menny times you pray to god or wish for it to. Nothing is free in life with out a catch. And in some cases, regardless of what others think, the catch becomes too costly for the project, and sometimes in life you have to be selfish or burn to the ground. Yes, I understand you guys on how sad you are about dmnb, and sometimes I miss the game myself. And yes, I understand your disappointment on me not releasing fortune's frontier, I was just as hyped as you were which is why I made those release announcements and twitter updates. In the end however, life had other plans and things changed. This happens in life all the time. Consider this also a lesson. If you really miss dmnb and are that upset  about it, then maybe its time to do what I did and reconsider your lifes choices. If your upset because it didn't stay around long enough and you wern't on long enough as you would have liked, i'm sorry to say that I can't change your time table and modify it so you can play when you like. If your upset because you wern't on dmnb that long or got band or something else, maybe its time to consider how you did rong, and adapt it for future games or other things you decide to do, after all for me dmnb was a big lesson on what not to do when managing online games, and fortune's frontier was a lesson on how things don't always go according to plan no matter how hard you work. Now, why did I develop and why did I return to development? Because I enjoy video games. Not neerly as much as I used to but I still enjoy them. And I still to a sirten extent enjoy developing my own creations. That doesn't mean I always will in the future, but for now, I do enjoy them. Now i'm sure the question you ask is, why do you put them up for people to play. Because I enjoy shairing my work. Not because i'm developing for you, but because I enjoy, in the right circumstances what I do. I would like to return to game development, and I don't mined that I lost supporters on dmnb and ff, it was going to happen eventually as it does with everyone. But not if its going to result in what feels like fanatical devotion to any of my projects that'll cause what dmnb caused. At least, not in public, not on the forums or wherever I may appear, be it other online games or what have you. I'm asking, not for the sake of me trying to cover up a mistake or 2, i'm asking for your own bennifit, please, move on from dmnb and ff. You can continue if you feel the right to scorn me about the 2 releases in private, but for the sake of this forum, which has already in dured too much dromma from my work, just let dmnb go and lets talk about something else for once.

2016-10-04 16:50:03

Well hello there. I don't have anything to say. I've kame here because I really miss those two games. Anyway. Not gonna talk about them because they're already gong and can not reverss the time and have them back!
Well danny. Me and my friend Looking for another great project from you. We want to have those times back! those friendly times. Maybe I can say your games was only the ones wich they was friendly most of the time. Friendly battels(star ship missions and things like that), Friendly cargo delivering, and ...
Well I hope we will have another awesome project from you danny!
bye.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2016-10-04 18:53:03

Hi.
Personally myself I'd like the offline deathmatch alpha series to continue if only because I was looking forward  to that and its continuation.
The revamped red warp, etc etc.
I also wanted to know how it began,  and how it eventually ended.
If it doesn't happen then well ok still I'd be happy to buy an entire series.

2016-10-06 08:12:08

@post 19 I'd like to really avoid redoing the storyline  and revamping my already good project alpha stuff, since that's all i've been doing throughout my run with game development and these days, that isn't the best of my abilities anymore. If I did anything space i'd actually like to distance myself from my previous work, case in point why I suggested my idea would be more like a mixture of dmnb's online activities but with a properly developed online story. Right now we'll need to wait and see what happens, I do have a prototype for that idea I just described somewhat coded but i've got other intrests and matters that are surpassing gaming and game development at the moment, so don't get your hopes up right now since i'm not exactly sure what i'll be doing in the future, I won't even make any prommiss's as to weather the prototype i've coded will get off the ground or weather i'll in fact stay in game development, since i'm looking at moving out of my parents place and that means my time will be taken up with a lot of other things. However, I won't discount game development entirely, its still on the drawing bord, but at the most right now its looking like something i'll do whenever I have the free time and selling my work would just be an extra.

2016-10-29 01:00:31

Greetings all. You asked me to keep you up to date, so here it is. A few weaks ago I released an online engine for people to code their own online games off of, and I myself have been using that engine to produce something loads better than ff and dmnb combined. First and formost, as i've mentioned in my previous posts, full rotational/360 degree movement is now a proper thing. Dmnb used a primitive, clunky 2d interface that made it difficult to get around starships and space stations never mined planets, while ff in its last days utalized a very primitive rotation system that only allowed for snap turning. This rotation system is much like the one in mainstreem games, making navigation much more quick and enjoyable. However, that's not all. Lets go back to the cheaf complaint about both dmnb and ff. Both were far too set in space. To explain better, in dmnb you ordered a spaceship and your sol objective was to complete objectives in space. Objectives like asteroid mining, etc. Little thought was given to planet exploration or ground combat, but not anymore. In fact, ground activities and space have both received a major boost, starting with my most favorite change, ground vehicles. This isn't the cheap gimic you had in dmnb where you'd bord basicly a minny starship pretending to be a ground vehicle. This time, I made sure to give you that mainstreem feel. A ground vehicle if you find one you will enter using the E key and drive it around in full 360 degrees, utalizing S and W to adjust speed. But that's not all. Thought the manual piloting system for starships in the original ff was cool or not? Well that don't matter now. The ground vehicle system can not only work on the ground, but it works in space. Yes, pause for a split second... this means, full, at last starship piloting. And to add to all of that, the vehicle system can be tied into any craft. So yes. This means, you want aircrafts? I can do em. You want see going ships, I can do em. And in fact? Lets get another thing. Don't have a ground vehicle? Its no problem with inventory because if you have one, you can utalize a skateboard to get around the area your on. Speaking of inventory, it works like stw's, however with 1 or 2 changes. When you equip an item in any hand, you can't switch that item to a new hand, and the game will tell you this if you don't have another item of that type in your inventory. To put stuff away you simply go to the hand its in and press backspace. With that, a new weapons system got implemented. These weapons require ammo clips, and here's the most impressive part of the system. When you reload, reloading is like in stw, accept, that unless you empty the hole clip into your gun the clip will stay in your hand, perfect for that quick reload. And the gun only emptys how much ammo it needs from said clip instead of emptying the hole thing. As for areas, they are now all server side, which means the only thing you need to worry about is sounds. Areas are also no longer tied to specific ships, which means proper buildings on planets just like you all wanted can now be done. And with a minamum amount of effert too, since you no longer need to go through the process of downloading a map file. But wait, one last thing. Anyone remember those ol crashes on dmnb? You know, the ones that would cause 30 minute downtimes and such? No longer a problem. I'm very happy to say that if a crash happens to a player, the player will be notified, and they can continue playing as normal as if nothing had happened. Everyone else will notice nothing unless the player mentions the crash to them. Oh, one last thing I almost forgot. Items can now be properly picked up on planets surfaces. They will play a sound, and all one needs do is approach and press e to pick it up. However be aware that others can steal your loot as well. Anyways, that's all for now. Development on the project is still going extremely slow, however I intend to keep working on it as time permits, I won't make any prommiss's however until i'm sure i've gotten my offline life's problems out of the way. With that in mined I hope that was enough to give you something to look forward too.

2016-10-29 09:33:20

hmm, just awesome big_smile

2016-10-29 10:32:59

Wow... Sounds fantastic..
Can we read more about the engine somewhere?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2016-10-29 21:53:38

Its in the developers room, though it doesn't have neerly half the features I described since it was released using an older snapshot of the server.

2016-11-09 07:20:30

Greetings all, so a few more updates to report. Asides from what i've reported last time, the game is now split into 2 modes for online play. Universe mode and death match mode, both modes use my online engine which cuts down development time majorly. So what are these modes you ask? Universe is the ol online stuff your all used to, but with a twist, because i've started custom coding online missions. The first mission has you crash landing a shuttle onto a planet and gathering extra gear to survive until you can escape the planet, i've already started coding on it. Death match mode is a free for all fps stile game in the spirit of games like halo and quake, where you can join a server in a list or create your own, the impressive thing is because they use the same codebase I can port my ground vehicle code over and give you that reel mainstreem fps experience with ground vehicles and all that included, along with differing maps. Asides from that, galactic network terminals again make a return, but unlike the last few times I had them implemented, they have the option to buy or sell stuff, so far buying is implemented. And since my knolige of programming is a lot better than it was last time, I can sell anything at these terminals ranging from weapons to ammo clips, and even though the terminals are online I can not only stop that menu not showing up properly glitch but I can also show the prices along side the items. Skateboards also got an upgrade for navigating around ground locations. Basicly once you get on the bord, like in reality skateboarding left and right kick the bord into action and get it up to speed, you must maintain this kick. While your roling space can jump, else it lets you off and on the bord. As for cross platform support, its still their. I've tested it with linux under a vm again, and this time the games options menu even lets you select a different output module for speech dispatcher. Since i'm no longer using bass, mac O S support is a grater possibility this time, all i've gotta do in therey is just configure the code to run using sfml for everything, as aposed to a mixture of libaudioverse and sfml, everything else is again natively compatible. At the moment i'm not actively seeking testers since i'd still like to try and add some more things, but assuming nothing screws up this time you might have something better than dmnb out, and with an actual storyline for online as so menny people have requested. I'm also looking into changing up the old reality software site since it needs a bit of redoing.

2016-11-09 08:19:44

Thanks for the fantastic news. Sounds really awesome...

Best regards SLJ.