2015-08-21 01:29:03

lol, let's hope you remember then, Aprone, haha.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-08-21 02:05:28

Firefly, at first I thought about having jobs, but so far I've decided to leave that type of thing out.  If I do add something like that in later, I'm about 90% sure I wouldn't let people be trained to gain skills they didn't start out with.  The time span for the game is measured in days, so it doesn't seem very possible.

The Paw Prints story line takes place in the same universe as Daytona and Castaways, so magic does exist, but it isn't something the general population would be expected to have access to.  Hopefully it isn't considered a spoiler, but to someone who unlocks the full ending story for this game and Castaways, they'll see that there's a good reason why none of these people have had access to magic.

Mayana, I'll add a way to disable all sounds.

Thanks for answering Tablen's question Mayana.  I've always loved that on this forum, people are quick to help each other out with game questions.  On some forums when people need help, everyone seems to just assume it isn't their problem, so no one steps up to offer any help.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 02:38:49

Just wanted to pop in and say that whatever happened to that save file, whatever you did fixed it, thanks Aprone, I didn't want to start over lol.

Stevie-3

2015-08-21 08:32:09

Wow, nice Aprone. I'm glad to hear that you'll be able to fix the bug which damage my save file in the next release. The next update sounds really great. I'm looking forward to this. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-08-21 10:46:11

New update posted.  Here are the changes.

Changes from 0.5b to 0.6

- I have rewritten how some of the saved game security works.  The old system had trouble dealing with certain computer regional settings.
- Paw Prints will now create a log, and update it at the end of each turn, that tells the summary of every day of your adventure.  The file is named totallog.txt, and it is overwritten after each turn so you should rename or copy the file right away if you intend to keep it.
- Game sounds have been provided by KeyIsFull, so there are several game events that will play sounds now.  I believe more sounds will come later.
- From the game's main menu you can disable all game sounds.  This is especially nice for players who prefer the original text-only gameplay.
- The game now supports custom sound packs.  Instead of replacing the various sounds, you can just put a new folder into the Paw Prints folder, and fill it with sounds just like the default "sounds" folder.  From the main menu you can select the new folder as your sound pack.  The game will try to play sounds from the selected folder instead of playing the files from the "sounds" folder.  If your custom folder is missing a needed sound, Paw Prints will automatically use the one from the "sounds" folder.  This means you can customize your own sound pack, send it easily to other players where it won't replace their default sounds, and you can choose to leave out any files that you don't want to change from the original.
- An assortment of shortcut keys have been added to hopefully make the menus a little faster to navigate:
  + "Spacebar" jumps you to the End Turn menu.
  + "F" jumps you to the campfire.
  + "T" jumps you to the jobs that are already spoken for, if you are in the location menu.
  + "A" jumps you to the available jobs for the location.
  + "T" jumps you to the assigned task, if you are in the task menu.
  + "R" jumps you to the food ration section, if you are in the person menu.
  + "T" jumps you to the person's task, if you are in the person menu.
  + "I" jumps you to the inventory, if you are in the person menu.
- The daily summary will now let you know if a person is suffering from exhaustion.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 11:12:19

This update looks verry nice and I will try it out as soon as it gets uploadet (just tested and I still get the older version).

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-08-21 11:13:45

Judging from the changes you posted, the update sounds very good. However, the download link still contains the old version (0.5b).

Errare humanum est!

2015-08-21 11:16:11

It appears we posted at the same time mayana. smile

Errare humanum est!

2015-08-21 11:19:22

Nope, the blasting gd, I posted 1 minute before you! Hah! Or so it looks in my end ... maybe it's the same minute in your timexone, heh.

2015-08-21 11:22:16

Well, you're right. wink
To be more specific, I was still typing when you had already posted so I didn't notice. big_smile

Errare humanum est!

2015-08-21 11:35:34

yeah it's still downloading the old version here too.

2015-08-21 11:51:20

Um...I tried downloading the 0.6 one, but it just gave me the same 0.5b version with 1.2 mb file size instead...are you sure you updated it, aprone?

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-08-21 15:00:16

I sure hope this update Will be releaced soon, because I have a game where I was doing pritty well (I even started with 2 blankets and 28 food, if this is a bug I like it), but then saved it and couldn't open it ... just returned me to the main menu again.

2015-08-21 18:08:11

Sorry about the update.  I have no idea how I managed to upload the old 0.5b version, but that must be what happened since that's what everyone keeps getting when they download.  I am uploading it again just to make sure.

Mayana, if for some reason this update doesn't unbreak your saved game file, you can send it to me and I can manually repair it.  That way you don't miss out on what sounds like a great start to the game.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 18:27:32

Hmm, it still looks the same ... 0.5b ...

2015-08-21 18:28:15

It seems to be an issue with my web host hot distributing the updated file to other servers.  I uploaded again, can see the correct file on the server, yet I still keep downloading the old one too.  I even tried uploading something with a new name, and it shows as not found.  Yahoo (my web host) must be having some sort of technical difficulties right now, so I'll wait for now and see if it resolves itself before I send in a message to customer service.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 18:34:29

I hope it gets fixed soon, can't wait to test the new update!

2015-08-21 20:37:12

Well I sent stuff off to yahoo tech support, but they don't have a great history of fixing issues in a timely manner.

In the mean time, here's a dropbox link to the latest Paw Prints version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdbsik71fl3fp … s.zip?dl=0

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 20:51:08 (edited by Mayana 2015-08-21 20:56:50)

Thank you for the new update, Aprone! Sounds are Quite nice.
My saved game doesn't work, it gives me an error. But I started out with twice as menny food as usual and 2 blankets insted of one, so it's probably normal that it doesn't want to open it because it's buggy, heh. Will just start a new game, I guess.
I also would like to ask if you could add a shortcut so if you are in person menu it muves you to health ishues of that person and if you are in the location menu it might maybe tell you every health problem that people in this location have ... something like:
Mark has frostbite. Jimmy has a broken leg. John has frostbite. Tina has exostion. Dan has a bandaged cut.
Not sure how hard would that be to code, just sogesting my ideas.
Edit: just tested the game a bit, and it seams that once you disable sounds you can't turn them on anymore.

2015-08-21 21:34:12

Mayana, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll look into that sound issue.  I didn't have that happen to me earlier, so I didn't notice the bug before I posted the update.  If you delete your progress.ini file, it will reset the sounds back to being played.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 22:03:53

I'm still on the phone with the tech guys, but it seems that the downloads are working again.  I'm trying to make sure large file downloads (such as Swamp) will no longer stop at 80%.  I'm impressed that they contacted me so quickly today, usually it's like 2 days later.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-21 22:12:59

Hello,
@Aprone, thank you for the idea about progress.ini, figured that out shortly after posting. Might test it again and see if it does this again.

2015-08-21 23:29:19

Hi.

Wow, this game is impossible. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and I can't seem to make it past the ice valley. I've been wondering if I should just let 9 people die and try to solo through with 1 person. I'm thinking that would make things easier, but I don't know. Maybe 2 people? I'm thinking of times when one person gets injured and has to be healed. I wonder if it would benefit me in the end since I would have more resources and less people to feed. I also notice that having a large fire plus 2 blankets on a person doesn't seem to have that much impact. The person is still freezing. What is this, Siberia? I'd say that is much harder than Castaways ever was.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-08-21 23:57:48

Aprone
I love the sounds, but wish the windy.wav was looping from the start.
This was the first time I played it long enough to have someone die.
I didn't here the exhaustion.wav sound even though they died of exhaustion.
I thought I could strip the dead bodies of useful items like a lighter or knife but it was impossible.
By the title of the game I don't think it would be a spoiler to say wolves are involved at some point
but no wolf eating human sound?
  In the instructions you wrote that it was a crashed airship. Does that hint at a Steampunk Zeppelin?

2015-08-22 00:16:09

Chris, it is indeed cold there.  As you move out of the mountains things start to warm up, but the first few locations are insanely cold.  They have lots of building materials and supplies from the crash, but they aren't great for long term survival.

Phil, I'll check on the exhaustion sound because it should have played.  The game only has a handful of sounds so far, and more will probably be added.  KeyIsFull provided the ones we have, so we'll see if he has any more up his sleeve.  smile  Who knows, maybe even a wolf eating a human sound, ROFL!

When your people die, items they were carrying will drop onto the location.  There are a few exceptions to this, but for the most part you instantly get back anything they had been holding.

Not everyone has noticed yet that on your very first day you can view the summary of yesterday.  It actually gives you a little bit of information about what happened before the crash.  You are correct also, the airship is indeed a steam powered zeppelin.

- Aprone
Aprone's software