2015-08-17 17:42:37

It would be Great if Aprone would make something like Legue of Legends for the blind, but much more simpler that that one.

2015-08-17 19:02:57

Hello,
I am also having the same issue that key is full is having. I am using windows 7. I do not have a save game file, however, as I just closed the game. I got some folks to the first ridge but once I tried to travel away again, they just did nothing, it just said they were cold, without saying they were resting or anything.

2015-08-17 19:10:02

Oh, and before I forget, @arpone I'd like to just say thank you because you are once again doing an awesome job. It takes time to develop games and keep support going for them, and it must be hard sometimes, to say the least.

2015-08-17 23:04:54

KeyIsFull, I'll take that into consideration.  The game is still being tweaked here and there, so I'll run more games and see if I should adjust those percentages.

I worry about even bringing this question up, because some people could try to get clues from it, but could you have angered one of the game's gods with anything you had done (or not done)?  I say gods plural, even though there is at most 1.  The religion setting of this game is too complicated to really summarize here, but the whole bottom half of the readme.txt file gives examples to help explain how it works.

Pretty much any random percentage based thing in the game could be affected by your religion setting and what choices you have been making in the game.  That makes it very hard for me to give people advice without knowing everything they've done and giving away game secrets.

Revan, I do like making action games, but they don't normally happen as these quick little games.  Those usually take more time with sound work and other things.

Mayana I'll keep such a perk i mind.

Arbuz, I did make one like League of Legends once, but I never found a good way to control the main character when facing off against multiple targets.  I may go back to the idea at some point... who knows.

Aaron and Key, I think I found the problem with saving the game.  A bug can cause the saved game to show up in the current working directory for windows.  So if you had recently had some other folder open before running Paw Prints, the save file may have saved into there.  I'll fix that with the next update.  And Thanks Aaron.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-08-17 23:26:01

Hello,
@aprone: thanks. However, it's not the save game issue I'm having, it's the traveling issue. Literally, the characters jsut did nothing in the next turn. I don't really know how else to explain it.

2015-08-17 23:34:33

Hmm, hopefully next time this bug happens to someone they will have a saved game they can send to me.  I'd love to see this bug happening so I can run tests and find out what is wrong.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 08:04:09

Hi.
Wow, this game is really awesome and addicting. I look forward to play this some more. It nearly got me awake the whole night... big_smile
Online achievements would be awesome! Sounds would be pretty cool, but that'll not change anything in the game really. I don't know how much text this game contains since I haven't even traveled in the game yet, but it would be nice if we could translate the game into other languages.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-08-18 12:28:44

I heard Castaways can be translated at some point. If it's true, I'll be more than happy to just convert the whole thing in Thai, and so this game, haha.

Aprone, I have a little idea. What about having chance to recover more survivors, besides the snowman fault? I just threw some bunch of my finctional characters in the game for fun and got this idea, haha.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-08-18 12:38:04 (edited by Phil 2015-08-18 13:48:13)

Aprone,
This is a good little game!
One thing, in SAPI mode, at the bottom of the screen it sounds like
End yourturn.
There is probably a missing space between your and turn.

I do miss the sound of wind.
And maybe a fire burning.
I played a wind sound from my collection and it made the game sound better.
Here it is:
http://www.pcsgames.net/pawPrintsWind.wav
I edited it so that it loops every two minutes.
Thanks,
Phil Vlasak
[email protected]

2015-08-18 15:24:50

Hello,
I finally managed to not go out of food after a fiew days ... I still need to at least have a knife, but if I have it I can have up to around 50 food. When someone is full or higher that person Will get no food for next 5 days or so (that's usually the time it takes for them to drop to not hungry). I also am doing something normal-minded people would never do in real life; I'm letting my kid starve to death because he won't ever become a teenager and I have no use from him at this age. Other people have muved away, I left male child (Timmy) in the crashsite without food, blankets or coats and without a fire. It's day 7 now, he is finally verry hungry, and is also now cold. Lets see how long Will it take him to die ...
I wish there would be some tasks only children or some tasks everyone could do. Until then, kids are just eating my food.
Sorry for so long post with so bad grammar, Mayana.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-08-18 15:32:53

I am going to try out a new strategy, moving all the people like 2 locations forward as soon as the game starts so it isn't as cold. I'm not sure if that will just make them exhausted and stuff though, and there are more supplies at the crash site. I'll have to see if it's worth it. Maybe if I move the majority of my people and just leave 2 or 3 people to scavenge off the site and then get them forward later ...

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-08-18 17:17:14

Thanks SLJ!  I can put translation support into this game, but I am torn between wanting people to be able to translate it, and revealing game secrets.  If I provide a language.txt file, people will see all sorts of game messages that would normally be a fun surprise.  Does that make sense?  So I haven't decided what is best yet.

Mata, yes Castaways has a language.txt file that lets you translate it into other languages.  I am not sure which translations have already been done.

Phil I checked the spelling, and there is a space.  I'm not sure why Sapi is blending those 2 words together.  I will definitely keep the sounds idea in mind, because I agree it would be cool to hear the current weather, and hear the fire crackling away.  big_smile

Mayana, that strategy seems to be working well for you.  Poor little kid, but it is survival and you've found a way to keep everyone else alive longer by doing this.  Children aren't able to do most tasks, but what they are a bit good for is morale of your people.  If you have children around, the rest of your people don't get quite as sad and are far less likely to kill themselves.  This is because adults are generally braver when they are taking care of a child, because they know they are being depended on.  So children do have some use, but it isn't the same as having another person doing tasks.  smile

Mayana, if you're ever a survivor in a real plane crash, it would be funny to just shout "I've done this before everyone, little Jimmy there needs to die!"  The other survivors would be very confused and afraid of you after that.  ROFL!

KeyIsFull, as long as you aren't starting out with people who can't be moved (due to broken bones), that just might work.  I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 18:17:27

@Aprone, thank you for that idea, but I'd rather not be involved in a plane crash ... hahahaha. But I think I'll add Jimmy in Names file, just so he could die ... poor Jimmy.
Well, now I at least know that people can, in fact, kill themselves in this game ... moral is a bit more importent, then. heh.

2015-08-18 18:56:11

Where can I obtain castaways language file anyway, if you don't mind me asking? And how do I get it to work after the translation? It's a little out of topic, but i htink i'll finish it as soon as i asked, and leave everything there.

@Aprone, I actually think you give that language file to your testers, whoever wanna translate, only one person though, not all of them. I'm more than happy to throw some Thai words in there, if you feel like handing it to me

I think kids can always do some easy task. They're curiious and energetic, like most kids do. They might turn the sucky time to something kinda cool. Any idea of tasks or new feature for kids please? I don't wanna see them die uselessly like that:(

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-08-18 19:13:59

Mata, I believe this is the link for the castaways language file:
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/castawayslang.zip
Once you have the file, you name it language.txt and just put it into your Castaways folder.  The game detects it when you launch, and it uses the translations within it as you play.

It looks like Castaways comes with French and Russian translations, though around the web I've seen people post their own translations into other languages (such as Spanish).

Mata, the kids are able to do some tasks that involve just searching for firewood, I believe.  I'll probably add more for them in the future.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 19:50:00

So  kids can search for firewoods? That's great! I've never paid much attention to that thing before, haha.

2015-08-18 19:52:14

Elders can search for firewood, but at least in crashsite, first ridge and ice vallie (sorry if I spelled them wrong), there's nothing at all for children to do. I really hope there Will be something for them, at least in baby steps, that are curently pritty hard, heh.

2015-08-18 19:57:55

I tried that strategy on my first go, going forward right away, the only problem was that you have to go forward about 5 or 6 tiles before the cold actually let's up, Unfortunately if you try going that far without stopping it's likely that a few of your party may die due to wolf attacks or other issues. I decided to make camp at the forest edge next time I play, I originally made camp at the second ridge, but I quickly ran out of food so not really a good decision. Ironicly once my party ran out of food, I had one senior in my party who had been attacked by a wolf, and I thought was for sure going to be the first one to die, but some how she survived 3 days of no food, two more wolf attacks, and went on to out live everybody else. Pretty amusing if you ask me.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-08-18 20:09:30

I posted a small update.  Here are the changes:

Changes from 0.4e to 0.4f

- The So Fuzzy perk has been improved.  You now start with 4 extra blankets instead of only 1.
- Fires produce more heat for the easy and baby steps difficulty settings.
- Children are able to help with firewood collecting tasks.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 20:12:12

Sneak, that was one tough old lady!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 20:54:24

@Aprone, thank you for the update!
I wanted to send some kids to get me some firewood, but it seams I got lucky ... I got just teenagers and adults, not even a single child, not even a single elder ... wow. Also started out with a knife and no ingerd people, so I had a lot of good workers. And verry good at that, because I found a speer, that I never knew existed until that. I guess those are used in later areas?

2015-08-18 21:02:40

Hello Aprone.
I finally got the chance to try paw prints. It's awesome like oregon trail on steroids rofl.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-18 21:13:31

Mayana, spears help your people win fights against wolves, but they also unlock some very useful tasks in some areas.

Guitarman, that was what I was thinking too.  My wife has often told me I should make an oregon trail type of game for the community, so this was sort of my take on that.  I prefer my games to be challenging, with a bit of dark humor, so of course that took the game in the direction it ended up.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-18 22:02:12

Hello,
@aprone: I have tried the latest version, and I'm sorry to report but the game seems to be unplayable for me now. When I ended my turn, the game just went straigh to "this is day two" as apposed to showing a summary. When I checked the summary, two people rested, and the rest didn't do their tasks. I tried ending my turn again, and the same thing happened.
My difficulty is baby steps, my perk is happy thoughts, my fault is odoriffic and my religion is none. Everyone is at the crash sight.
Honestly though, this is an awesome game and you've done a good job, but I'm definitely stumped when it comes to this issue.
Here is a dropbox link to my saved game file for testing to see if you can isoalte the issue:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/177 … _game1.sav

2015-08-18 22:30:58

Aaron, good catch.  I've uploaded a fixed version.

Changes from 0.4f to 0.4g

- Fixed a bug that prevented turns from being ended.

- Aprone
Aprone's software