2012-01-21 10:19:58

I must admit that was one of my reservations over the contest personally. as I said on the audeasy list, most other gaming contests are anual or every six months, meaning you get a huge amount of time to work on a game.

Perhaps working on a simple side scroller would be a good idea, ----- say a complete audio donkey Kong with vertical movement and save the prince project for later when you have more free time to make the game as it should be.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-21 14:30:54

Hey,

Here's the setup file (243 mb, so probably still uploading):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/nn2_setup.exe
Here's the first English patch (stable, but leaves a lot of things untranslated):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/play.exe
Here's the latest English patch, which translates much more, but has a few bugs that can cause it to crash from time to time:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/play_e.exe

Hmm, it tells me that the upload will probably take two more hours. Boo. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-21 16:01:55 (edited by Victorious 2012-01-21 16:07:35)

Hm the second english patch link doesn't work for me; it produces a 404 error. I've been having a problem getting the game to talk so hopefully using the english patch will solve that.

2012-01-21 17:06:32

well, he just uplodaded it about 1 hour and 30 mins ago so maybe his connection flucuated and it's not done

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-01-21 17:49:14

Hmm, looking at my system tray, it still isn't done. sad
It seems to have slowed by about 10 kbps, which puts it up to another hour.

I don't think the english patch will make it any easier for you to find the sapi setting, though.

The issue is that sometimes it will ask you if you want to update before going to the main menu, and you want to pick no (I'm assuming that's the second option, anyway).

So, basically, if you skip the logo, and it doesn't immediately start playing the main menu music, it's asking you to update. Press enter, down, enter, and it will take you to the main menu.

Either way, once at the main menu, press down twice, then enter. This takes you to game settings.
Then, press down twice, and enter again, to go to screen reader settings.
Press down until you no longer hear the menu select sound, and that is selecting sapi5.
Press enter, and it will ask you to select a voice. I think it puts you on the default voice, but if you press up or down, it will cycle through the available voices and announce the name. It might take a couple seconds to load at first.
Once you pick a voice, it will ask you to set the rate, pitch and volume. Press enter when you're done with each of those, and it will take you back to game settings. The last option in the settings menu is save settings. Press that, and you're back at the main menu.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-21 19:14:56

I don't know why that isn't working for me. Pressing down arrow twice in the main menu brings me to this menu where pressing up and down doesn't give any beeps and pressing enter again seems to return me to the main menu.

2012-01-22 05:01:14

Dark, you are right of course. I'll probably have to look at developing something more simple for the contest, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be a side-scroller either.

There are some Atari games I haven't played in years that would be cool to recreate. One of them is the Star Wars Death Star game where you play as Luke Skywalker and you have to complete a number of battles against tie fighters and on the final level fly your x-wing into the Death star and blow up the main reactor core.  Its basically nothing more than an Atari version of the final battle from Star Wars: A New Hope, and I could complete that easy enough.

Even better is to take that original concept and convert it to 3d so you can ascend and descend as well as turn, roll, and perform more complex starfighter maneuvers. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-22 19:11:05

Hello,
@tward I'm nt sure Philip will accept that, I know even for example games he says to not use copyrighted material.

2012-01-23 04:52:59

You may be right. I'd have to ask Philip about that. Still my point that I need to cut my ideas down to something more simple for the contest  remains.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-23 09:38:33

Well actually i remember that game very well, sinse on the amstrad computer we used to have we had a compendium of all three old starwars games.

the return of the jedi game where you alternated driving a speeder bike around endor and flying in squardren with three  x wings, and the empire strikes back game where you played a  speader fighting on planet Hoth, (you could even sling the scout walkers).

the starwars one was always my favourite, ---- and amusingly enough I could always complete it and destroy the deathstar on normal but not on easy big_smile.

that would  be amazing to have in audio, I'd recommend you ask philip pricesly just to see, sinse if the game is free I can't see Lucas arts complaining too much. (well they may complain, but it  wouldn't be reasonable).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-24 16:10:35

i think aaron is right