2012-01-17 14:39:52

Twenty twelve is to be the year of the olympics, the year of lots of sweaty effort and new records being broken. It's also the year that the recession is apparently going to get worse, but let's ignore that, sinse judging by the first few weeks that certainly won't be applying to games.

First up, is a treat for everyone who enjoyed Airik the clerric. Curt wolf, shrine of the lynx in which you play Curt, a wolfish spy and his rather dim witted polar bear associate in full and glorious cartoony 3D. This one also features complete graphics and will run on xp. To find out more, just See the curt wolf home page

Then, in the olympic spirit we have a game that will let you reach for the stars! People may remember an old doss stratogy game called Destination mars. Well it's no longer a doss game, it's a windows one, with ful and glorious sound and lots of rejiggering, pluss a brand new minigame batling space aliens. If you fancy a litle textual flights in space, just Grab the game here

Richard has also made a multi screen reader atlantic city black jack game, and you can Download that here

But if flying in space isn't your thing and you fancy something a little more peaceful, well we have room for that too. Ian humphries has come out with yet another game to test your mind. Bg Mastermind is the standard game of memory in which the computer picks a combination of four coloured pegs, and you need to get the right combination in ten tries when your told only that some pegs may be in the right place and position, but not which ones. This is indeed similar in some ways to Jim Kitchin's mastermind game, though Ian's follows the rules of the board game a little more strictly. As always, if you'd like a copy, send Ian a request by mail on games at spoonbillsoftware dot com dot a u.

Lastly, I wasn't joking when i said this year was one for competition. Philip Bennifall is launching the first ever audio game developement competition for ]Bgt The great audio games developement system. Proposals for titles have to be in by the thirtieth. For more information please check our forum, otherwise it's developers to your marks, ready, set code!

So a very energetic new year to everyone, I just hope those gaming muscles have been built up enough to take all this strain!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-18 14:39:39

so finally, we have a news item for 2012!

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-18 19:09:24

Actually I did mean to do one sooner, but things just piled up, and even now this one doesn't mention black square which i've sinse played and now has a db page.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-18 20:45:20

Hi,

Yay! big_smile Great news post, Dark.

Regarding the BlackSquare entry, I'm totally impressed, never thought I'd make it that far. big_smile There's just one tiny bit of misinformation, the game is in fact not coded in BGT. It may make me look cooler if it was though. Heheh.
And this pushes me further to releasing the new version, which includes high-quality environmental effects, like Reverb and echo, depending on where you're positioned on the map. But I'm going too far off-topic. tongue

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-01-19 00:28:10

Yeah, and there is more to come. We at USA Games are working hard on Tomb Hunter: Temple of Life which will be the first true 3d first-person adventure that will hopefully introduce some new game play elements and concepts that have never been tried in audio before. It is coming along rather well, and a lot of that is due to the fact we are simply updating the older MOTA source code with more 3d functions  and of course sounds, music, and levels to match the new story. I think 2012 is going to be a great year for audio games.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-19 00:36:31

Hi,

That sounds totally awesome! Can't wait to get my paws on that!
smile
I'll do my best to make 2012 a great year of audio games. And even if I don't bring out too many, I hope for at least 2 or 3 new games, at least from me. And, then I'll be around here, to help. After the war with SOPA and PIPA is over, and if we win it, which I think we certainly will, there's nothing stopping us. big_smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-01-19 01:02:21

@Tom yes, I'm very much hoping 2012 will see the Usa games expedition finally reach something of a destination, albeit one several dimentions away from where they started big_smile.

@Gorthalen, As with any new dev's games I had to try black square first to see whether it came up tto standard as per the db guidelines. This took me some time I admit sinse i'm rather busy with various other things, not the least my phd, but when I did get chance to try the game it was deffinately complete enough.

I'll fix the bgt thing, that was something I genuinely was not sure of but with your comments in Bgt threads I sort of assumed it was, however I'll reserve my thoughts about black square for another topic.

2012-01-19 01:21:25

This newspost made me find out USA's side scroller has been dropped, after 20 something betas?
You, sir, are the most undecided person I've ever known. I'nm just majorly disappointed. GUess I'll just wait for PH then. ANd the preorder people aren't getting what they wanted either... But we're going majorly off-topic so I'll stop here... and go back to playing swamp.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-01-19 01:27:17

Hi,

Nah, don't even start flaming here, please.

Dark: It's not an issue, sir. It was just a minor error, nothing to worry about. And if you do want to tell your thoughts, then please do! I'm still working on it, so every single message could have an impact on the game.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-01-19 03:13:39

Dark, we've definitely come a long ways from where we started. Hard to believe we began this project in 2006 with a rather simple 2d side-scroller in mind and after the copyright issues we took that simple idea and seriously built upon that idea to make it superior to the original product. Finally, after many user requests we are even going to push the envelope even further than we ever have before.

pitermach, please no flaming on this topic. Its not like this is big news. This issue was discussed on the USA Games list, the Audyssey list, and even here on the forum. I don't recall if you made your thoughts and feelings known there, but I asked the community their thoughts and feelings before deciding to go 3d. Many Many gamers wanted to see a full 3d FPS so I decided to give them what they wanted. There were a handful who still were extremely in favor of a side-scroller, but as Spock said, "the needs of the many out way the needs of the few."

As for people not getting what they wanted I've got something else in mind to satisfy those customers. Although, I have not officially entered into the BGT competition I plan to once I see if I can actually do it with all my other irons in the fire. If I decide to enter I plan to submit a side-scroller along the lines of the original Prince of Persia with full 2d movement, plenty of traps,  puzzles, and other game elements Prince of Persia was known for. How advanced the game will be limited to time requirements, of course, but its not like converting MOTA into an FPS means I have no plans for future side-scrollers.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-19 08:13:57

@Tom, while I personally am  slightly disappointed sinse I was very much hoping for a proper side scroller, I hope the 3d game works out.

I'll be interested to see what the prince of persia thing works out to be though, especially if it has ful vertical movement the way prince does. I've always thought that prince, sinse everything is based on very precise movement and logic and your jumps in that game are pretty horizontal that it'd make a perfect audio convertion.

2012-01-19 09:16:46

Dark, yes, my Prince of Persia clone will use quite a lot of vertical movement such as ropes, staircases, and of course having to jump over and onto things above and below your position.

As I said, though, its in the early stages of rough drafting, but I want to give players the feel of something like that game. Its also something I think could be converted to audio without a lot of changes in game play, and I don't mind writing it as a side-scroller since all the early Prince games were side-scrollers.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-19 10:19:12

Sounds good, however I do worry about the time issue.

Prince had a lot of fairly advanced features, indeed in some ways it is more like a puzzle than a side scroller, ----- secret tyles in the roof or floor that you could climb up or down, lots of switch and door puzzles some of them timed, ----- not to mention what was almost tantamount to a mini beat em up game whenever you ran acrosss a guard, with a completely different control set for using your sword, it actually made for a very nice break from the puzzle like gameplay.

The snes version is my personal favourite and there's actually a review of mine for it on gamefaqs (look under Dark empathy). Apart from more levels and rather good music, it added a lot to the game. It even expanded on this by adding some different bosses and enemies into the mix such as a six armed monster and an amazon woman with a sword. Not to mention a number of different traps like teleporters, crushers and escalators.

I'd be sorry if an audio prince game lost out on features or structure because it was being done in a hurry for a competition, indeed I'd rather see some other projects get finished first so that you could give an audio prince of persia the attention such a game deserves.

2012-01-19 14:24:45

Hey dark, you forgot to talk about bokurano deboucan II, probably the biggest audio game ever. 100 levels. Extremely tough! Madness!

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-01-19 15:25:52

hi.
is there any english version of bokurano debouken?

i've fears downloading this game because of japanese whether it might freeze my computer lol.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-01-19 15:44:35

I actually haven't tried Bokurano yet, sinse like Sid I did wonder how much was translated and if it was playable without speaking japanese.

If it is, let me know and I'll be glad to give it a go.

I must admit there are several games I haven't tried yet, even curt wolf.

2012-01-19 20:51:08 (edited by aaron 2012-01-19 20:52:40)

Dark and others...
I just want to say this. me, pitermach, erion, and to a lesser extent, destroyer, have all tried the Bokurano Daibowken two game. destroyer is the forumite known as the doctor, too.
I think it's safe to say that yesterday destroyer was getting a headache on teamtalk while erion was seemingly addicted, doing a bonus game that involves letting you choose how many clones of the final boss you want to fight, and i asked him to fight ten. He actually beat all of them which lasted no less than around 35 minutes.
We had enemies being generated, and they blew each other up, plus the fact that there were objects flying all around the screen and many, many close calls it was the most hectic gameplay listening i have ever heard in my life!
Not to mention, it took erion a total gameplay time of around 30 hours (lasting several weeks) to get to stage 25 part 1, out of 4 parts, and those parts are truly! massive! and there are over 30 totally different weapons, loads of music, sounds, and as said before, unlockable bonus games when you've beaten everything. you can even unlock bonus games by playing bonus games! and even then you can still level up your hp and try to buy all of the items!
I'll just say this.... my game time is around 9 hours and I'm on stage 6 part 4, out of 25 total stages, 28 if you count bonus content (so far!)

2012-01-19 22:46:37

yes, bokurano deboucan is very playbale with the current english patch. The only thing that's not been translated is the storyline, and I think the ukio and some of the other jap speakers are working on that too.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-01-20 10:56:06

Ah, fair enough, well that is certainly sounding good and I'll be glad to give it a try when i can.

2012-01-20 15:59:52 (edited by aaron 2012-01-20 16:01:01)

Trust me when I say you will need a hole lot of time on your hands if you want to get anywhere, it may be a side scroller but this isn't no super liam, beat the game in a day and be done with it, this game is one where if you do not level up a lot, you will die, and even when you level up, you will! die! a lot and it will take strategy, luck, and all your skill and knowhow of any weapon you purchase to get through!
It's also very mainstream like in the fact you will actually have to go back and play stages in order to gain enough cash to get more weapons, but unfortunately there are no alternative paths. Now if there were, this game would possibly be the best free audiogame out there.

2012-01-20 20:54:44 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-01-20 20:57:34)

You know, the way you say that makes me really hope that the game I've been working on for the past year (Ok, the past eleven years, but last year was the most recent time I started my code from scratch) turns out the way my outline is written. But considering that I've spent the past 48 hours not writing the simple save and load functions I need to release what I've been working on this week... *sigh*.

But, yeah, Bokurano Daibouken 2 is playable in its current form, though you miss out on the story. I think the current English patch has a few bugs still, though. I think I have the earliest English patch still... it doesn't translate things like the weapons menu, but it does get around some of the newest bugs, so hopping between the two works fine until Yukio can find and fix them.
Just on stage 2 I had already decided that this is the kind of game Dark would have good things to say about, and that was well before I'd discovered the shops and the variety of weapons and enemies in the later stages.
Now, if only BK1 had better navigation features. smile

[edit] Oh, yeah. Some of the tasks are a little tough to figure out do to the language barrier, but between Yukio's help and our own problem-solvers, we can probably give any necessary hints (like moving the stuff in the stage 1 house).[/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-20 21:42:43

the funny thing is, after a while due to mistranslations, i got used to the japanese stuff and actually switched back to the japanese version in the end, it's not buggy at all. it works like a charm even though stuff won't be read properly.

2012-01-20 21:45:41

The only real difficulty I'd see with that is figuring out where things are in the shops. Everything else is pretty easy to get the hang off even without the translations.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-20 22:56:53

I went to download the game, but the link to the English patch gave a 404 unfortunately. Perhaps someone could post the links to things?

I hope the translation can go further.

2012-01-21 02:55:15

Dark, that's why I am still unsure if I will enter the BGT contest. I'm interested, but two months is not enough time to create anything really advanced. Although, I suppose I could always write something else for the contest like a beat-m-up game such as Double Dragon rather than something like Prince of Persia.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive