2023-09-05 20:34:14 (edited by bhanuponguru 2023-09-05 20:37:53)

@25
please, if you  make one, please share it here. i'll update my post. also dont forget to include the llm discrete math book that i linked to along with the books amerikranian mensioned.
amerikranian, i found the real analysis book that you mensioned on github too, the tex files. i think you know it because it's official. but i couldn't compile it for offline access. is there a way to compile it for offline access?

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2023-09-05 20:44:54

I'll link everything I find in the repo and share a link.

2023-09-06 03:24:10 (edited by amerikranian 2023-11-01 23:30:36)

TBH a repo is not worthwhile in my opinion because I can't imagine us adding a lot more resources and because the problem of needing to find the repo link still persists, but you do you.
@bhanuponguru, I'm not too sure. Have you tried compiling them all with pandoc or something similar? A lot of those use PreTXT as one of their dependencies, so you may have to look into that as well. It's for that reason I don't try and compile the .tex and either read it directly or access the contents online. Most of the time it's too damn painful and not worthwhile to figure out all the compilation.
I don't know where this one should go. This is one of my favorites, but it's too informal to be used in a class on compilers, at least without some supplementary text. Nevertheless, Crafting interpreters is a fantastic read for a gentle introduction to how programming languages work. You need a background in both Java and C, the latter not until the second half of the book, to fully enjoy this one. @Leos, this is as close as I can find to what you listed when it comes to things like Languages. Code / group theory is abstract algebra, I think, unless those groups aren't the groups I'm thinking of, in which case disregard.

2023-09-06 04:19:16

@28. The reason I think it'd be  good idea to have a repo is due to how this topic is laid out. If you want to quickly find something, you have to go through multiple posts, and with a repo you can just navigate by the headings, for example, math would be its own heading and subheadings would be things such as calculus, discrete math, linear algebra etc. Not to mention the possibility of new resources you may find, even though now it looks near to complete, being easier to add and update without reviving a topic.

2023-09-11 03:58:07

Hey all,
Another good resource I discovered thanks to my own uni recommending it actually as one of their alternative textbooks for our calculus course:
Right Here
There's like 5 calc books in there all fully online with accessible MathML, complete with exercises.
PS. try going to just that subdomain and you get a rather hilarious bit of text, especially given that this is supposed to be a university website.

Abay chal.

2023-09-11 04:18:06

Definitely a lot of really good resources here. Given that this topic is both widely popular in this community and also far from the easiest to find accessibility resources on, I've moved it to the developer's room and made it sticky.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2023-09-18 15:14:51

I am figuring out books for my next semester, and here is our cryptography textbook. Perfectly accessible. Requires knowledge of number theory, specifically mod arithmetic / linear congruences, and basic probability.

2023-11-01 20:57:00 (edited by Sage_Lancaster 2023-11-01 20:58:26)

@amerikranian, the link to the computer architecture book required me to create an account, then told me that I didn't have access to that book. Is there something wrong with the page?

2023-11-01 23:28:51

Whoops? I fixed it. I linked to the book from my bookshelf for some reason--I must have logged in before writing the post.
I'm happy to help with the book if you want to give it a shot. I still remember computer architecture, and I will take advanced version in the Spring, so feel free to ask.

2023-12-28 03:32:59

Update:
Here is a textbook concerning artificial intelligence. Some, although not a great deal, of knowledge of Calculus and probability is assumed. Also, the book lacks image descriptions. Depending on how comfortable you are with formal algorithm descriptions / mathematical reasoning, you might need extra resources to make sense of what is happening.

2024-01-02 02:30:52 (edited by Ethin 2024-01-02 02:39:44)

@32, you may wish to check out Serious Cryptography; I linked to it in the list of resources I maintain. You might also delve into compilers, interpreters, etc.; for that, I'd recommend Engineering a Compiler, which is a modern approach to developing them. Last but not least, for computer architecture, I'd recommend three books: Assembly Language step-by-step and two with similar titles -- Computer Organization and Design RISC-V and ARM Editions: The Hardware Software Interface. Both editions cover similar content but cover different computer architectures. RISC-V might be easier to work with just because it doesn't have all the extra baggage that ARM comes with. On the downside, the RISC-V ISA manual (which you may find handy if you need to write pure assembly language programs) doesn't use accessible diagrams for it's encodings and syntax's, but that's being worked on and ChatGPT is capable of helping you out in the meantime if you want to use that. I hope I'm not regurgitating things I've already said; I'm unsure how far your education has progressed now, so I'm not quite sure where your at. Of course, others who may be going into these things may also find these books of use, even if they're paid. I've linked the Computer Organization and Design book (at least the RISC-V version) in the repo I maintain for programming resources; I don't however believe I've linked the other two, so here you go:

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-01-03 01:29:27 (edited by amerikranian 2024-01-03 01:42:37)

@Ethin, I do wonder whether any of the math in any of the books you linked to, whether it be in this topic or on your resource list, is accessible? I am asking because from experience I have yet to find a book on Kindle containing accessible mathematical content. In particular, how readable is stuff like Serious Cryptography? Looking through the contents it seems like the book does mention the notions of security and what does it mean, which if the book I linked to earlier serves as any indication of is quite rigorous in terms of formulating mathematical proofs.
Regarding my education, I am in my sophomore year. I just finished the main Computer Science Core, which means I took Discrete Math, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, and an Algorithms course. Will be taking Advanced Computer Architecture / Distributed Computing / Theory of Computation (More on P/NP/CoL complexity as well as FA/DFA/Finite Automata) this coming semester. Cryptography sadly was not offered in the Spring. The professor is teaching the graduate version of the course, but it requires the undergraduate equivalent, as well as Abstract Algebra, which I also am about to go through.
I highly enjoyed Operating Systems, but sadly there is frustratingly little info on any hardware for either RISC or ARM. I've found very brief snippets, and the majority was not in the format I can read and/or stupidly large. The ARM manual is 11500 pages in a PDF. No. They don't offer it in any other format, at least not from what I found. X86 is a shitshow, both to write and to parse, at least from the XV6 kernel I've played with and the brief snippets we wrote to do context switching / VM management in OS. Would really like to avoid it if I can help it if I were to pursue a toy kernel of my own.

2024-01-03 02:53:23

@37, serious cryptography's math is reasonably accessible, though it does use different math operators than what your used to (e.g. || is concatenation). Though for the more complex math I'm not sure how doable it'd be. But it's good enough to get across the critical information at least.
Regarding OS development, none of it is going to be easy. Your going to have to trundle through huge manuals like Intel's or ARM's, regardless of what you like. The OSDev wiki may be of assistance. But OS dev is always going to be messy no matter which architecture you use. X86 is the easiest because you have ACPI and PCIe out of the box and you don't need to configure the PCIe uplink or anything like you would on other architectures.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-01-03 04:45:22

You misunderstand. I am not complaining about reading. I only brought up page count because when trying to open it in something like Adobe, Acrobat has a stroke. The only way I could even see the document contents was by opening it in Chrome and waiting a solid 3-4 minutes for it to load. And when it did, I couldn't use your standard word nav features on it. Find? Only within the portion of the document I could see, not the entire thing. No easy way to jump to sections listed in table of contents, either.

So... yep. I would read, except at this rate just getting back to where I left off might even be an issue, let alone getting through it.

2024-01-03 15:17:14

@39, I oftentimes just export the documents to text and do it that way. Give pdftotext from xpdf-tools a try. It's not perfect and the diagrams won't obviously appear properly, but it works well enough (even if the TOC gets messed up). If you have Discord/Matrix or something like that and can PM me that, I may have a private resource I maintain that you might find useful.

My Github

2024-01-03 23:05:06

which of those books in this thread would cover math  Analysis (Real and Complex) numbers, it's one of the topics/corses i'm taking for this semester. any additional resources would be helpful, i'm doing good on the real numbers part just missing a few things in complex numbers, i couldn't find a resource that  goes along with my  studies.

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2024-01-04 01:36:48

@Ethin, I don't believe I have your Discord? I'll send you PM with mine in a moment. Feel free to reach out.
@Still_Standing, doing a quick search yields this, although it is listed as a graduate course and so I'm not sure how applicable it is. Still. The file is in LaTeX, so you should be able to read it and perhaps get something useful out of it. This also has a tiny bit of complex analysis in chapter 11, although it might be further along than you currently are. Sorry for the lack of specifics here, I myself have not gotten to Real Analysis quite yet.

2024-01-24 18:43:38

@amerikranian
have you got any better resources for abstract algebra and number theory other then the ones on post 2, not an issue if it's paied.

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2024-01-25 05:48:27

See post 14, although I would buy the seventh edition for the number theory textbook now.

2024-02-14 09:23:32

hey all,
how do you all deal with the EE course? currently i asked my instructir to send me the latex source of the circuit diagram created with circuitikz or some thing and i plan to reed them that way. is there a better way than this?

if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru

2024-02-14 20:08:27

You generally want to avoid reading diagrams in LaTeX. This is the only area it kind of falls down, they are verbose and hard to process. try to get your professor to describe it? You are mostly interested in what happens on the rising or falling edge of the clock anyways, so that shouldn’t be hard. at least that worked for me. We didn’t go into much circuitry, though, so you may have to find alternative options if you go in deeper.

2024-02-19 21:04:01

Hi guys, bellow is a link for maths, physics and chemistry textbooks for high school students:  Here

2024-02-23 23:59:29

Here is an accessible textbook for learning about networking. Knowledge of Python is assumed, but other than that I think this can be read as a standalone thing.
@bhanuponguru, you can also do Verilog for circuitry, although it could get... unwieldy kind of fast for anything nontrivial. Depending on the version you use, the behavior could be... inconsistent.

2024-02-24 06:28:40

hey all, so i done my exam on ee, my prof is generating question papers using latex, so i told him that i can read latex. he sent me the latex file and asked me if i have any issues reading it. and i can imagine the circuit diagram from the latex code without issues.

2024-03-16 18:17:13

Here is another resource for number theory, although it's not so, uh, elementary as the title suggests. I'd use it as a bridge between courses.
This is a hodgepodge of topics all related to Computer Science. There's some on algorithms, some on programming, some on complexity... everything should be accessible from what I tried.