2023-08-17 16:16:28

hey all, this topic is not for only me, i think it will bee use full for every one.
i dont have much resources except some posts made by amerikranian in some other topics.
so he posted some calculus, discrete math, etc. amerikranian, if your reading this, can you post some resources for real analysis?
any one who have accessible resources are welcome to post here. it mey bee any thing, calculus, discrete math, programming books, etc.

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2023-08-17 17:03:40 (edited by amerikranian 2023-08-17 17:23:37)

You probably should have quoted me or copied the links or what have you, otherwise people would still need to search for my posts on random topics. I'm reproducing my post from Accessible PDF managers below. RA resource added. It's not a CS thing though. We're not required to take it, mostly because it's aimed at prooving Calculus. I also found the DE resource I used, seems like it migrated to a new website.
I can't guarantee if any of these will have alt texts, but for most cases you don't need image descriptions.
Here is stuff for Discrete Mathematics. Everything up to graphs should be fine, and even those might be okay. It depends on how much of a visual person you are. Most of the time when you're doing proofs you won't need to see those.
This is for Number Theory. It isn't a prerequisite a lot of the time, but Discrete Math kinda leaves you in a funny place regarding proofs. You hit a little of everything and don't talk about stuff that comes up often in CS because it's a basic proof course. Besides, you'll need Number Theory if you ever want to play with cryptography.
This is Calculus-based probability. I think it covers everything we learned and then some. Technically more, because it covers statistical inferencing as well. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time on this one. You must know integrals (both single and multivariable) to get the most out of it. Solutions aren't available, but I did quite a bit of these so if you have questions either search or ask me. Try the former first because a lot of these have been previously worked by students on Math stack exchange.
Linear Algebra is right here. Be warned, the website is funny with navigation. Often sections collapse for some reason and you have to press enter on headings to expand solutions and/or examples. No big deal, but it can be off putting if you don't know it's a thing. This is mostly a computation-based book. You'll see proofs, but you shouldn't have to proove a lot on your own unlike with Discrete and Number Theory. I would recommend reading through Discrete first, however.
Abstract Algebra is highly recommended for us and I will be taking it in the Spring. THIS BOOK IS NOT A JOKE! You need Number Theory and Discrete for this one and likely some Linear Algebra, although if you do it'll be basic stuff like the vector dot product or something (which you should know from Calculus already). Super heavy on proofs. Barely any mindless number crunching. A single exercise can often take an hour or so--I'm not kidding!
Real Analysis is right here. This is typically not a CS course. In fact, a lot of Math majors don't even take it if they are not planning to do graduate work, which should tell you something about the difficulty of the course. Extremely tough. All proofs. Don't ask for help until Spring 2024, because that's when I'm set to take it. Even then I'm not sure if I would be able to. I've done a proof or two from the book and it was... rough.
Differential Equations requires a basic understanding of Calculus. You can probably get away with Calculus 1, but Calculus 2 wouldn't hurt here for some integration techniques. Our university requires basic multivariable Calculus, but only because we cover Fourier series near the end for solving partial differential equations. Take that as you will.
I have a better resource for Discrete, Number Theory, and Abstract Algebra, but that assumes you are willing to pay money. You do get alt text for Discrete and  number theory if you pay, though. Let me know if you're interested.
Edit: I had good luck with Bill Kinney on YouTube. His Differential Equations with Linear Algebra playlist is here, and Abstract Algebra videos are here. I don't like him for Calculus though, that goes to Professor Leonard. If you ever take Calculus 3, which you should because it serves as a foundation for a lot of other courses, I would highly recommend him. He has calculus one and two videos as well. Very easy to understand and follow along with, although people said to me that his videos are long. True, but when you finish, and if you actually pay attention, you will be set for pretty much any problem on that topic.

2023-08-17 19:23:28

@2
thank you so much, it helps.

if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru

2023-08-17 22:49:46

You can use OpenStax for calculus. You can use it for other things too, but I've only used it for calculus (it was the textbook for my differential and integral calculus courses, which is cool because it's accessible). Calculus Volume 1

2023-08-17 23:51:53

I know you can certainly find online resources for big O notation that are accessible.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2023-08-25 09:03:50

@amerikranian and others
do you have accessible books for kenneth rosen discrete math, Principles of Mathematical Analysis by W Rudin? since my profs suggested those books for math course that we should take in first cemister. actually they have kept real analysis as a part of calculus course. if they are free it's good, if i have to pay i will.

2023-08-25 14:51:46 (edited by amerikranian 2023-08-25 14:55:26)

Regarding Rosen, yes. I can't recall which of the two sites I bought it at, but I did get the book in an accessible format. I believe it was either Vital Source or Red Shelf. Try Vital Source first because they specifically offer refunds. You'll know if the book is accessible by just reading section 1.1. He also has a number theory textbook which I know to be accessible, and that's on Vital Source also.
Wait, so lemme get this straight. You don't know Calculus, and yet they want you to read the Rudin book? That's... um. Yeah. Good luck. For reference, Real Analysis is a junior / senior level class here, and the pass rate is one of the lowest on campus save for something like physics. I don't have good resources for you on that front, though. The only RA resource I have is in post 2. Let me know if you find something.

2023-08-25 16:23:15

@7
in india, in 11th and 12th we learn calculus. we almost know how to use derivatives, integrals, etc. btw we dont reed all real analysis, we reed up to where we have proofs for limits. like we find a limit to a function, then we prove if that's convergent,divergent,etc. i think they said to reed this up to here, they also teach this part to us, because we can understand why do we call limit n tending to infinite 1/n is 0, such stuf. we dont reed entire real analysis though. we do limits, then we move to continuity, differenciability, then we will have main stuf in calculus (derivatives and integrals) and we move in to calculus. i think they kept real analysis part as an intro on how these limits work.
thank you for the resource, i'll try buying it.

2023-08-25 16:27:13

Right. I also learned Calculus in 12th grade. What surprises me is that to actually prove limits you first need to learn how proof writing works, which is a whole other topic, then you need the completeness axiom, and only then can you talk about the delta epsilon definition of limits. Like yes. Can you do it in an intro calculus class? Probably. How much would I have understood if that were done to me? Not a lot... not a lot at all. I was just surprised, that's all.

2023-08-25 16:43:47

till now we completed 5 lectures in calculus, if my brain is recalling correctly how many classes we are done. so till now every thing looks ok, except i need to improve my proof presentation. also, if i can ask, how did you give your exams? did you talk to your prof about writing it in a computer or did you get a scribe? i am also going to talk to my prof about it in some working day.

2023-08-25 16:55:22

Oh I remember rosen discrete math. I think I used the Learning Ally version as when I was taking that course, I could not find an accessible text version for the life of me.
But I heard Learning Ally isn't what it used to be.
And yeah, I remember taking Calc 1 and 2 in high school. But Calc 2 was more like only the beginning part of the semester of Calc 2 in college.
Gosh, that takes me back. It's been 5 plus years since I graduated.
My favorite part of Big-O was knowing how it is derived. Really interesting stuff. Very basic, but most people who only study for the purposes of interviewing for jobs don't really know the foundations.
Oh and if you make it to Advanced Data Structures, or even the foundational course, be prepared to learn about trees and graphs. That stuff was a bit challenging to keep track of in my head when I first started. And I have really good spatial memory. You learn basics of graphs in Discrete Math, but just the theory.
Check out this tool called Treemendous. Someone wrote it for blind people to be able to explore trees in an accessible format. I don't know how good it is, but mostly because I don't find I need something like this anymore, But should be perfect for students just learning CS.
There was also a tool for electronic circuits out there if you take any EE, but I can't remember what it's called. It might come in handy for Computer Architecture too, if that's a course that people still have to take.

2023-08-25 17:12:59

@2
You mentioned a paid resource for better introductions to particular topics. What is that paid resource?

2023-08-25 20:26:16

I do wonder if this topic can be stickied in the dev room or somewhere, so much stuff that others can also make use of later down the road without having to dig the topic up again and again after it inevitably gets berried and/or countless other threads spinning up asking similar questions... Not that there's anything wrong with that per say, or at least I don't mind it, but saves everyone the trouble because in the end people will probably link to this thread anyway and will have to find it first.

Abay chal.

2023-08-25 23:40:15

@10, you'll always be working on your presentation of proofs. Always. Proof writing is super super hard beyond trivial classroom cases. Most real world proofs end up... messy for the lack of better term.
As for my exams, it honestly depends. I never took one orally. You need to talk with your professor to discuss your options. Some of my professors reserved a room for all the people with extra time and I just took it with them. Others made me set up a test through the official system, which was a major major pain. No right answer here.
@12, resources, one per subject. Rosen's Discrete Mathematics is one of them. Fantastic book that covers waaaay more than the link in post 2. Rosen also wrote Elementary Number Theory 6th Ed, which is one of my favorites because it's as clear as a book about proofs can be. It's very easy to follow and it, again, has a lot of material on all sorts of things related to number theory. Abstract Algebra resource is here. I like this one particularly because of its applications of concepts. It's not just straight up prove prove prove all day. And it's like a history tour, too, which I find rather interesting.

2023-08-26 04:19:42 (edited by bhanuponguru 2023-08-26 04:22:30)

yes, it's not because this is my topic, i too feel it should bee sticky some where so we can access it easyly.
mey bee we all can discuss about our experiences / doubts here.
@14
how did you give exam? you dictate some person so they'll write? or did you write it in a some kind of word document or some thing?

2023-08-26 15:52:52

I'm not a Math guy. Far from it. I would've never thought it possible to do some of these kinds of things because graphs are the absolute bane of our Mathematical existence as blind people and no exaggeration. But I gotta admit, it is interesting.

I read the introduction to the discrete mathematics book that you provided. Definitely interesting what you can do with it at the very least even if I'm not the most intelligent person when it comes to Math. Just for context, we skipped geometry because the high school said it'd  be too expensive to provide the equipment needed for us to do 3-dimentional shapes and things like that. So yeah, I have literally no geometry knowledge.

2023-08-27 01:23:04

@15, actually that's incorrect. I did give some exams orally, but so did everyone else. Think proof presentation in realtime. You'd walk up to the board and write on it as you talk. In my case I had someone else writing for me, but that was the only case where I used outside assistance. I purely and exclusively use LaTeX and compile it using overleaf. I then send the PDF to my professor. The only logistics that change day-to-day is where I take the test. Sometimes it's with other students. Sometimes it's at an official sight for Students With Disabilities, which I hate. Sometimes the professor just reserves space somewhere for all people with extended time, which is what I have. It depends.

2023-08-27 05:23:18

Speaking maths for CS course.

Anyone might have accessible notes for
Languages, Finite State Machine, Code Theory, Code for Data Compression.

I think Code Theory also touches Group Theory. The lecturer haven't gone through it yet.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2023-08-27 15:00:24 (edited by bhanuponguru 2023-08-29 07:18:06)

friends, i found another accessible resource for discrete math.
@amerikranian, if you know llm Mathematics for Computer Science byEric Lehman, F. Thomson Leighton, Albert R. Meyer, my instructer said you can follow either this one or rosen book. so it's actually published by MIT online for free in pdf format. but i searched for HTML format some where. i found one on libra texts. here is the link to it.
actually, i could have paid for rosen book, but i just read the intro mail today and instructer said your can folow any 2 of these.
if any one is intrested, you can follow it as well for discrete math.

2023-08-29 05:01:07

Your link seems to be broken. Also, the one that I had has alternative text for images. Not a necessity, but nice when you talk about logic circuits and/or graphs.

2023-08-29 07:19:21

@20
sorry, i pasted title of the book instead of the link. edited it now.

2023-09-04 22:05:41

Hi guys, I'm starting at my college in the second semester and one of my college modules is cyber threat intelligence, so here's a few questions.
1. Is there any affordable software that is similar, or the same as maltego?
2. Are there any affordable SIEM, and TIP solutions / programs?
I've searched and found nothing of the sort.
tips are appreciated!
my college is giving suggestions on threatconnect and maltego. Are there any affordable SIEM, and  T I P

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2023-09-05 15:27:06 (edited by amerikranian 2023-11-01 23:26:06)

My apologies, Azure. I don't have good resources for you, but do keep me updated. I might take a course similar to what you're doing my junior year.
I have another list of resources, this time for Computer Architecture and Operating Systems.
This is for Computer Architecture, and you really should read it first. The website didn't provide any accessibility metadata, but I bought it and it was one of the lucky few that worked. MathML and, if I recall, figure descriptions. You'll learn x86 / C / data representations / caching / pipelining / memory management / hard drives. I would recommend skipping the networking chapters, and linkage is up to you. We went over it, but it's not necessary for OS. A decently strong background in math is assumed. You won't do calculus, but summation notation shouldn't freak you out, either.
This is the resource for OS. It's free, but isn't entirely accessible. Chapters are PDFs, which means we lose access to math and figures. Luckily, the text is very descriptive, and I'm going to get in touch with the authors regarding adding alternative text. Strong background in C, a good grasp of Computer Architecture, and an understanding of x86 are a must.
I'm looking for an accessible resource for nontrivial algorithms. I have a .tex version of our textbook, but publishing that would be illegal. I haven't found anything I was personally happy with that goes into the same depth as the book, though.

2023-09-05 19:29:07

Anyway, thanks for the links. i'm looking for OSINT, SIEM and tip solutions to use for testing. and sendbox recommendations, is there any?

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2023-09-05 20:06:17 (edited by Sage_Lancaster 2023-09-05 20:08:05)

so I was thinking. Would this growing list of resources be better in a github repository? I saw ethin do something similar for programming books and resources and I feel it'd be more simple to edit the list, and have the issues be either for broken links or requests for a new section or resource, and the pr's can be used to add more resources and things. I'm gonna make the repository for myself but if anyone would be interested I could also share the link.