2021-05-18 20:10:41

@50
You can skip an event system and stuff if you just always check the quest completion status of all your quests every so often.  A lot of things that you need for a realtime RPG aren't applicable here, because most JRPGs do things like "quests complete when you talk to the quest giver".  If you cover the 4 or 5 common quest goals you're 90% of the way done.  A lot of things really do simplify when it's turn-based combat with combat screens and things, which to be honest is probably why we mostly see that when someone tries to do an RPG.  For example if you've established that you're going to switch screens for combat, switching screens rather than integrating your puzzles into the environment is a less terrible sell because you have no need to keep running all the NPCs, which means you can write the thing as a bunch of one-off programs instead of one big one.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-18 20:49:32

Ideally, my level of puzzle difficulty will be closer to AHC than to manamon. I'm not looking for things like trap damage, moving fireballs and whatnot, aka Manamon. Flipping switches, talking to NPCs, activating crystals, that sort of thing, is more my style.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-05-18 23:42:54

Well I can't help you here, but i wish you good luck. Because i no what ever game you make it will be good sense you've always seemed to no everything about rpg's and i just think a game from you  Jayde would be awesome.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-05-19 01:22:33

Yeah jade, all of what you said is definitely doable. If I were to teach you, I would probably work with you on coding the mechanics you wanted such as map navigation, and whatever concepts you rpg will have such as npcs, items, keys, talking events, quests, and quest completion or whatever. Then setting up a simple content language parser that would let you quickly create maps that can be loaded up and ran and reloaded without having to modify source code so that you can start experimenting with putting tools together. Sounds like Layers on top of layers, as you're using the tools in programming to make higher level tools, then using those higher level tools to make your game. If you've ever looked at a tool box, you can make a lot of cool things with just a handful of tools. Add on another tool, and the number of available combinations goes up exponentially, and that's what I would want to provide.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2021-05-19 03:43:17

54 definitely has the right idea. Games and programs are typically created this way. As your project grows, you can add more tools and more libraries to expand the range of possibilities that you can take it in. You can, of course, also pull in the tools that others have made to make things easier for you -- this helps in areas such as networking, AI, graphics and such. But to truly make a good project, you then take all these tools and combine them together, and knowing how to think is how you figure out how to combine them into something that you can admire and go "Wow, I made that". Even if its a small project that everyone else has made, the sense of accomplishment and achievement is what your looking for, because that boosts your confidence and your desire to push yourself further and further. Its irrelevant that that ray-casting system you made or that inventory system you wrote is identical to another; you wrote it, and the fact that it works is good enough. You can always swap it out for something better later.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-05-20 19:57:49

@1
In case you haven't noticed my email, I emailed you on the address we used before.

Goo luck with learning to code, however you end up doing it. It's a ball ache and 95 different kind of difficult hell, and you'll love it hate it and everything in between. Eventually though, I believe that coding your own thing may work out being the best and most fulfilling solution for you, unless you end up going down the rabbit hole I'm currently in. If you do, I'll see you there, and you have my email for advice / emotional support haha.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-05-21 00:06:07

hey sir.jade, you've done the right thing by learning programming, cuzz with that idea generator, combined with programming, you'd get an ultimate game that would quake the blind world!, so just best luck  to you

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2021-05-21 12:17:06

Remember, the best way to learn coding isn't to spam read a bunch of tutorials then jump straight into developing, look at the tutorials, try something small, then go larger and larger. Making mistakes, and googling / getting help on how to solve them is the best teacher, or so I've been noticing. Remember, programming isn't only programming, its figuring out how to get your things to work, how to pull everything together. Not everyone has that skill, or rather hasn't developed it, but it'll come when you try and do little things by yourself.

Cheers

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-05-27 10:29:29

I love this thread. As a beginner programmer, it was really hard to get started until I found a project that I wanted to create for students at work. Of course, nowadays I'm so busy at work that I have no time to continue it, and no time to really learn more, but just doing that one project taught me how to import libraries, use functions better, call functions on variables, like:

x = 10
x.add(10)

something like that, which is really cool when dealing with libraries. I learned that next time, make a plan before starting to code, and come up with the libraries to use beforehand. I learned to make a program that does a thing well, and that when that program is done, leave it alone until I actually have better ideas because messing with it could easily break it. Good thing I'd already deployed the stable version, lol. Also, gotta put these things in Git, and maybe use Poetry with it to make it all a local project with local dependencies. I learned how to search for answers on Stackoverflow to my questions. So yeah, projects should be a huge part of learning to code. I mean, yeah, sometimes I wish there were more structured stuff teaching me how to think in order to use the things I've learned. Maybe Think Python would be a good book to actually get into. When I have time, lol. Nowadays I can't just dive in for half a day or more to learn Python. It sucks, because I think I *could* get pretty good at this. Maybe not to the level of keeping up with many tens of functions going on at once in a game, especially a fast-action fighting game which is something I want to make for the blind one day in the far future. But good enough to make an RPG, at least.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me