2021-01-19 20:21:25

hello? Think you mean send_reliable? Send unreliable is, As bgt wrote
Unreliable packets are by far the quickest way of getting data across to another person. An unreliable packet will be sent at the maximum speed provided by the connection, but is not guaranteed to arrive at the destination. It is, however, guaranteed to be properly sequenced if it does arrive. Unreliable packets are useful when you have data that needs to be sent out very frequently, but you only really care about the most recent data.
From what i know... That is UDP's way of handling stuff?

2021-01-19 20:30:40

Oh, yeah my bad.

2021-01-20 10:22:06

@375
Enet is a networking library based on UDP.
The fact that send_reliable tries to make sure the packets are delivered and not lost does not make it TCP.

Paul

2021-01-20 15:51:30

amerikranian wrote:

@kianoosh, I'm interested as to your response to post 371 which brings up an excellent point as to the lack of lag.
Re, exception handling, that's not entirely BGT's fault, nore is it unheard of the languages doing the same logic, I.e, this is C:

int do_something(int *x)
{
    if (*x == 0)
    {
        return 1; // We failed
    }
    return 0; // We succeeded
}

C lacks try and accept, which we can still get around by doing if (do_something()). If C gets away with it, I don't see try and except as being essential. Are they nice? Sure. Are they a good characteristic of a language, I don't think so.

Of course. Support for try and except isn't generally essential for a language. But I personally prefer having this in a toolkit like bgt, that aims to ease the development process. Thus I still think is a feature that could really help the debugging of a BGT game, and by a great amount.
like, an engine like BGT that is designed to be easy to use and the fact that its manual says "Who said the process of game creation should be complicated? ", could really use such features. Of course, uncomplicated development will not end at the point where you have a simple game running there. It can of course be extended up to the point where the developer hits an exception, quickly finds it because they properly implemented the try/except, and fixes it without having to spend a lot of time and effort for maybe a line of code which fixing of wouldn't take more than a minute.
At conner. STW lags when  like three or four people start having a PK fight near each other, and redspot was definitely laggy and i can clearly remember that, especially with that I don't know what long barril machinegun that would take like I think 50 rounds in a cartrage and would fire into long distances. Of course, these two games have/had such good networking code and have/had much less lag compared to other BGT games, but yet, the huge lag spikes happen in both of them, and usually it's not more than 10 people who cause these spikes

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2021-01-20 18:02:14

@kianoosh, before I continue, let me point out that I agree with your posts. I agree that BGT is bad. I agree with the fact that it could really use proper exception handling, but let me play Devil's advocate for a moment.
SDL has no exception handling. You literally do this:

if(SDL_INIT() != 0)
{
    printf("%s", SDL_GetLastError());
}

Again, no "proper" exception handling, and yet look at BGT. It has exactly the same thing, I think it's called get_last_error and get_last_error_text, though don't quote me on it. I am not trying to start a conflict, rather point out the fact that your arguments aren't objective here. You want proper exception handling. It is your opinion that engines need to have proper try and except to keep game creation simple. While I fully stand by you in this regard, this shouldn't be the turnoff point for a beginner. Your networking argument holds greater power, so does my mention of the language being designed at a small subset of the community. A compilation of unsuccessful BGT projects without giving full reasoning behind their failures is only telling half of the story. Furthermore, I would personally view this as bias against the language, especially knowing the improper handling of networking. I think that, should anybody wish to learn BGT, we shouldn't stand in their way, rather inform them of the facts and allow them to decide, for better or worse. We have seen the topics where those of us who "see the light" (notice the sarcasm) have attempted to "convert" (sarcastic once more) nonbelievers, those who use BGT, to other languages. Such conversions rarely, if at all, turned out positive. Hence, a compilation of failed projects would likely strengthen the resolve to adopt the opposite of the intended goal.

2021-01-21 01:30:09

I'm not trying to force people into not learning BGT. My comments and my opinion might be like that, but not trying to forcing them. So I'm just letting out my thoughts about BGT, even though harsh. The person who considers learning BGT may completely ignore my comments and go on with what they have in mind, or they can investigate and see for themselves whether or not that my comments are true. So I'm not trying to stand in anybody's way, even If I say Someone shouldn't learn BGT.
Same thing applys to my thought about the existance of try/except in BGT.
Choosing a programming language mainly depends on the person's preference. That way of exception handling might be to someone's liking up to the point that they prefer to use only languages that support it, or the other person might not even count that as something so important, like those who start by learning C. Again, these are my thoughts. I think that since BGT was built to make game development uncomplicated and easy, this way of exception handling could really do good in BGT and would ease up things a lot. And this is my thought.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2021-01-22 16:56:58

Hi.
I want version with servers, tunmi, please.

meow meow.

2021-01-22 17:01:14

Frig off with that dink.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-22 19:30:11

thumbs up and agree with post 381
everyone has a preference of a programming language, you can't force them to learn python, or leave from bgt. they'r decision is they'rs. it's an easier programming language anyways

if you want to post language resources and see other's language resources, click here in the language learning resources thread: https://forum.audiogames.net/post/826634/#p826634

2021-01-23 07:31:00

As expected, the game extended less than 3 months

2021-01-23 08:37:17 (edited by DeathDragon 2021-01-23 08:40:40)

@ post 382: lol.
he posted the same exact thing in the blood storm topic. 
So what, you wanna have your own server and have power over players. is that it. Because your posts did not seem like they loved, worshiped, or even put effort in to making the game better
And let's not forget you bashing the dev's on going game that hasn't been released. What makes you  think he should listen to you after that?

useless post above

2021-02-01 00:38:29

this game is probably shit it comes from tunmi's mom also what is tunmi is so so so so bitch

2021-02-01 00:39:29

Ammınızı sikerim lan

2021-02-01 00:55:43

Number 387, Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say.  I believe what you did was went straight for a personal attack, and If I understand, it is not allowed here. Take your childish--- nevermind. Take your negativity elsewhere.  I was gonna say childish but I know children who behave nicer then you.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-02-01 04:17:53 (edited by George_Gaylord 2021-02-01 04:19:40)

The fuck Maxi? If you're the maxi I'm thinking of I'm wondering if your account was hacked or something. Never seen Maxi speak like that. Eitherways, the fact you brought back a dead topic to bitch and yowl at the dev, in such a bitter toxic way , and its not like the game is even active. It died 2 weeks ago. Come on man,

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-01 09:05:47

Translation of 388: Fuck your pussy. That's the best Google Translate could do, but I think it brings the meaning across alright.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-02-01 12:38:24

yeah 391, he exactly  said that

2021-02-01 14:04:02

just want to say that maxi's behavior is weird, never heard him talk like that, plus, his english seems a bit too good in other posts.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2021-02-01 16:17:42

Uh, I'm speaking to Maxi now and he says that it indeed wasn't him who wrote this post. So, yeah. He most likely has been hacked. Mods, please take a look.

_____

2021-02-01 22:28:02

Yeah yeah hacked, haven't heard that one before.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-02-01 22:55:16

lmao, like many unfortunate topics this one has been derailed.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-02-02 00:31:25

@395, normally I'd agree with you however there are multiple things that says to me that the person who posted 387, wasn't the owner of the topic. Firstly, I spoke to them today, and they said it wasn't them. Now words are cheap, however I know this individual really well and he doesn't lie, I mean, doesn't lie at all. Nextly, that doesn't at all resemble his writing style, either informaly or on here. Go look back at his post history and tell me that looks anything like it at all. Next, there is motive for people to break into his account, for what reason, idk, possibly to make him look bad or something. Nextly, Maxi was a fan of ROTU, so why would he come and post something like that? And lastly, although a stretch, the person seems to have a decent grasp of turkish. Translators exists yes, however its a point to consider.

_____

2021-02-02 01:07:07

Moderation.
Going to have to give whoever is presumably controlling Maxi's account a caution right out of the gate. This kind of personal attack would immediately warrant a warning, but it's kind of hard to exactly issue a warning and account for it if we can't exactly pinpoint the user in question. That said, further disciplinary action will absolutely be taken if it can be proven who has control of Maxi's account. Owing to the severity of the personal attacks, whoever is controlling his account has one chance to come clean, but if they don't and we find out through other means, they are most likely looking at an indefinite ban if they have a forum account to their name.
Meanwhile, if the real Maxi can read this, he should change his password and keep it secure, so that his account does not do anything else.

2021-02-02 01:50:55

I also know maxi, and I'm going to tell you rite now that he wouldn't say something like that.

Sound designer and music producer.

2021-02-02 02:42:29

Jack, a PM was sent your way.

_____