2021-01-11 14:46:51

server down again.
meh.

meow meow.

2021-01-11 15:59:55

it has quite unfortunately, become the expected.
Oh look server down. meh, whatever, happens every day anyway.

useless post above

2021-01-11 19:09:34

Bruh. And it will be down for the next 2 to 3 days.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-11 20:10:44

@Jayjay how do you know?

meow meow.

2021-01-11 20:40:47

There’s always blood storm, if anybody is interested. I don’t think people are going to join anyway.

2021-01-11 22:53:26

Guys its about time this shit show of a game is dropped. like i said before, it once had potential.  But if it can not be mannaged propperly why even play it? its just crashing over and over, and having multiple devs on it isn't doing much to help the problem.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-01-17 16:54:57

So is the game just... done? Seems it's been down for like 3 days.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.
Discord: CritterPup
RPG Discord Server: https://discord.gg/QQcHS3Gk

2021-01-17 17:46:28

seems so.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-01-17 17:48:04

well, it seems as he shutdown most of his games indefinitely as Bloodstorm is down also, and it has been for 2 days now.

_____

2021-01-17 18:45:00

tunmi did say that he was shutting rotu down, i am not sure if it is perminent or not but i would have thought he would have said on here

One of the lead developers of the Final Hour audio game, currently in beta.
https://finalhour.lowerelements.club

2021-01-17 19:27:24

Kinda sad he just silently killed it .

_____

2021-01-17 20:02:11

Well the shutdown of rodu and bs came not to long after my final bs post on the bs thread .  If they are somehow tied then so be it, but I highly doubt it. It just seems a coincidence.  It is his choice weather he chooses to inform his players of his choice of shutting a game down, especially those that pass through these forum pages.  After all he doesn't want to be associated with this forum.  Personally, I do hope he figures himself as a developer out and if he does indeed bring one of his projects back, I do hope it is the one that he is really passionate about, and that it is one he really wants to succeed.  Like i said before he has potential as a dev, but he needs to find his way.  Take a few years and learn a language of programming really well, or pick up a project, really hammer out the bugs, and problems, and then release it.  Also another task that takes time.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-01-17 20:26:00 (edited by omer 2021-01-17 20:26:12)

this could have been a good one if he focused on it instead of bs or some other crap

2021-01-17 20:38:07

That is for sure

2021-01-17 20:38:21

so is the game going to come back or is this a job for the delete key

2021-01-17 22:20:55

as tunmi said, ratu and bs was just discontinued

2021-01-17 22:52:33 (edited by George_Gaylord 2021-01-17 22:57:41)

Edit!

Just saw the topic in OT. NVM.

_____

2021-01-18 16:57:24 (edited by kianoosh 2021-01-18 16:59:42)

You know, It's not that bad to have a public list of BGT games that failed and got taken down. And even some explanation about each game to prevent the newer devs pick BGT as their dev tool of choice. If it wasn't for BGT and its networking system and its weird debugging code, this game wouldn't be taken down.
A hint. Do not yell at me "Shut up we're bored of this topic coming up everywhere". There are still people, even talented people, that use bgt as the tool of their choice. And It's for the best if they read through all this negativity towards BGT and eventually stop using it.
Thank you!

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2021-01-18 20:43:57

@kianoosh, I respectfully disagree.
Is BGT very limiting? Yes.
Is it a language designed to fill a small subset of wishes? Yes.
However, said failures were not because of the language being inadequate for the projects. Look at Manamon, Paladin, or Crazy Party for instance to see how it has been used successfully.
It is my belief that the games created with the language fail not because of the fact that "Oh it's BGT and its weird networking", rather that people don't really know what they are doing when it comes to proper packet handling. I mean, hell, you can see this in the way a typical BGT game does its items. Every time you guys hear a beep, that's one packet being sent from the server to your location telling the client "play sound here please". Every time you guys take a step, that's a packet. Every time you jump and your z or y axis changes, that's a packet. I'll put this in perspective:
We'll say that an item beeps every 0.5 seconds to make the math easier. Assuming that the player jumps up to 5 tiles rising at 0.1 seconds, here is how many packets a single player could send per second.
Assume the player moves at 0.2 seconds per step. This seems to be the trend for audiogames.
So, first, the total number of steps: Assuming that the player jumps, that's 1/0.2, or 5 packets for just holding right arrow.
Knowing your jumping speed of 0.1 seconds, it will take the player 10 packets to jump and land, 15 packets so far.
Assuming that there are 30 items in range of the player, that's 60 packets per second (the items beep twice, 30 * 2).
That's 75 packets per player per second, y'all.
Sure, moving to something like Python could let you get away with some inefficient practices more than BGT, but I hardly think it's the fault of the language. You can't say "Oh, it's the weird networking code" without considering how the developers use it on here. I'm willing to bet money that when an "easy" (notice the sarcasm with the inclusion of quotation marks) solution to networking is discovered in Python, we'll have the same problems we had in BGT.
Your point about debugging is absolutely valid. BGT's tools for what went wrong are shotty at best. However, you also have got to consider code like this:

bool jumping;
bool falling;
bool isInJet;
bool isinTank;
//Somewhere in the main loop
if(key_pressed(KEY_UP))
{
    if(!isInJet && !isStunned && isInTank)
    {
        //Stuff
    }
}

When talking about the debugging tools, you should also include the improper employment of classes, the staggering amount of globals, the unhelpful variable names, methods that do 6 things at once and modify variables somewhere off in the dark corner of your code... you would still have the same problems with Python. You cannot blame BGT for all of the mistakes. It's only a language for God's sake.
I'm frankly annoyed with the sheer amount of "It's BGT's fault" posts. As you should have clearly seen from my code, a greater part of the problem lies with the developer and their competency. I can still write bad code and employ poor practices in C++, C#, Python, or any other language of choice.

2021-01-19 09:59:01 (edited by kianoosh 2021-01-19 10:14:22)

Ah. Then I failed to express my purpose well enough.
I'm not at all trying to put all of this on BGT, even though I admit that my post looked like that. The developer himself plays the main role, as you have also suggested. To put it simply, it's just a matter of management. Management of the code, the gameplay, ETC ETC.
also, What I meant by that post was that BGT is not suitable for multiplayer games. It is not, as many others have also confirmed. It is using a very old version of ENet library, and definitely the networking system is not complete. One simple example for that would be lack of support for TCP. Not that it is essential for multiplayer games, as I know that FPS-type games use UDP as you can transport packets at a rediculously fast speed. But having support for both types is something that any Network library has. Let alone BGT which is an engine.
Again, the inefficiency of BGT's network support is proven before many times and is not something that can be avoided. Even the best developer out there cannot make a multiplayer FPS-style game that uses BGT, with a small lag time. I mean if it was only me thinking like that, I wouldn't post this about BGT. But since I have read here and there about all this, and that I Have had experiences with the engine, I'm also promoting it. The instances you brought up are not really fast-paced online games. I mean the multiplayer part of them isn't. Even crazy party, which really, cannot be compared to an FPS game, used to get extremely laggy. And yet it's not just comparable to an FPS game.
And manamon's networking is really not that heavy. It's all some packets sent at a slow rate. Not at all comparable to an FPS game again.
I have had online projects both in BGT and Python. And I have seen the performance of both, hence my reason to post all this.
Oh. One last thing about what I meant by BGT's improper way of presenting debugging features.
Simply, an efficient game engine would present some ways for handling errors and runtime errors in linux.
Last but not least, lack of Exception handling matters a lot, and it is not there in BGT. One thing that if were there, the use of "Runtime monitors" would drastically decrease and even there wouldn't be a use for them if the dev would use the exception handling code properly.
Sorry, this got too long. My intent for posting this was just to prevent the one person whose going through all of our posts from picking up BGT as their language of choice

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2021-01-19 16:06:25

Oh, creating a lag free fps in bgt is possible. It took a few updates, but both Redspot and STW don't lag anymore, and if stw still does, it's usually the player's internet.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-01-19 16:21:21 (edited by haily_merry 2021-01-19 16:25:02)

Uh, @370 what are you talking about? Of course BGT has support for TCP. Ever heard of send_unreliable?
The hole reliable / unreliable thing is just a by product of ENet. Literally all of the lag people experience with BGT games comes down to bad coding, and your own game, firefight was no exception to that, either.

2021-01-19 17:09:48

send_unreliable is not TCP. I almost spat out my coffee when reading that one, thanks.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2021-01-19 18:01:21 (edited by amerikranian 2021-01-19 18:01:58)

@kianoosh, I'm interested as to your response to post 371 which brings up an excellent point as to the lack of lag.
Re, exception handling, that's not entirely BGT's fault, nore is it unheard of the languages doing the same logic, I.e, this is C:

int do_something(int *x)
{
    if (*x == 0)
    {
        return 1; // We failed
    }
    return 0; // We succeeded
}

C lacks try and accept, which we can still get around by doing if (do_something()). If C gets away with it, I don't see try and except as being essential. Are they nice? Sure. Are they a good characteristic of a language, I don't think so.

2021-01-19 19:05:24

Ivan, ever looked at the ENet documentation? Send_unreliable is, literally, send a packet, wait for a response, then acknowledge that the packet has been received. That's TCP. If you look at the ENet python bindings, it's literally the exact same concept in practice. This is not unique to BGT at all.