2020-10-01 00:46:41

Oh yeah moths are a big one for me. Fuck I hate them, and I avoid situations that might draw them in like standing in pools of light or too near a light source outside. They leave this fucking dusty shit too, I call it wing butter. Bleh fucking moths... uuugh!

I feel like people who are afraid of dogs could learn to tell the difference between a friendly dog and an unfriendly one if they could get a grip on their anxiety of the situation. Obviously easier said than done, but if you think about it, there's quite a difference. Of course, dogs can be unpredictable and you have to watch it.

My neighbor has a bunch of dogs, and one of them was just weird in that way. I always had to be reserved in my approach to him because sometimes he'd be fine and others it seemed like he wanted to bite me.

Cats are much harder to interpret.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-01 01:21:51

Animals of virtually all stripes have minds and personalities of their own. My cat is perfectly friendly 99.4% of the time, but every so often he will bite my feet or swat at my legs if I pass him. He doesn't ever chase me to do it and he's not growling, hissing or upset - in fact, I can often reach down and pick him up, and he's placid - but yeah, I don't get it. I know that my cat's unpredictable, but it doesn't bother me because the vast majority of the things my cat might do aren't harmful. Modelling behaviour by repetition, so to speak. That's probably not a great term, but it's ultimately down to trust. You know the cat is capable of slashing your face wide open while you sleep, or shitting on your pillow, but if you've had him for six and a half years and he's never done it, chances are good that he never will.

And for me, plants...just don't do stuff. A spiny plant has spines, a leafy one has leaves, a pitcher plant has fluid inside it to trap and digest tiny insects. Your explanation is enlightening, but I confess that I still don't get it. Again though, I'm not dismissing it or attempting to denigrate it. If I knew you in real life I wouldn't ask you to help me with my yardwork or invite you on a nature walk. lol

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-01 01:50:11

@27
Prove that plants don't do stuff, though, is kind of the point, I guess?  It makes it sound like I'm saying I think plants do stuff and that's not it at all, I totally know and fully accept that they don't, but as a good first approximation, that's not a bad one I guess.  There's a sort of lower level piece going "it's a living thing. Did it move? What's it doing? Where is it? O no!" and nothing for it to grab onto.  And that's before we even talk about roots, which are just, kind of under the ground tentacley things that move around really slowly.

If you came into my apartment and hung ropes from the ceiling in random places and were all go run around and find them all, I'd find that anxiety provoking too.  It's a thing that hits my face that isn't in the lexicon.  Even though you've just told me there's now random ropes hanging from the ceiling, the machinery underneath isn't so easily talked to and will have to spend a lot of time learning that this is rope-in-the-face, nothing to see here (hah), move on.  It puts holes in the world that are somewhat hard to fill, if that makes sense?  maybe it doesn't.  If plants were like "I am here right now and I look like this" it wouldn't be a hole in the world, it wouldn't have that baseline creepy aspect in addition to my parents who usually got it but somehow really dropped the ball on this one, and it'd be fine, and maybe I'd even have a garden or something.  But plants aren't just holes, they're holes where if you fill them in and wait a week, haha oops it changed unpredictably again, and sadly my parents did manage to drop the ball in this specific instance in several ways at an impressionable age, thus upgrading mildly unsettling to something that's not exactly fear in the same way that you're using the word fear, but where we don't have a better English equivalent (maybe unsettling plus? I dunno, but it's not a fear of plants, it's unsettling plus and then that provokes anxiety).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-01 03:00:17

I used to have that plant thing.  Thanks for reminding me.  Oh and technically it is possible for a ceeling fan's paddle to break off and harpoon you.  Of course, the motor would need to be warn out and vibrate the housing so much so that it could act sort of like a marteeny shaker.  That's this forums punishment for reminding me of the plant thing.  lol!

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-10-01 03:24:28

Yeah, I'm just not fully grasping it I guess.

If you get a puppy, it's small, it has really insanely sharp little teeth (or maybe it has no teeth if it's very, very young). Its ears are big and floppy. Its paws are out of sync with its body. Then it grows into its ears and paws; coat thickens and usually coarsens. Teeth fall out, replaced by bigger, slightly blunter, stronger teeth. The overall shape remains the same.

Plants...do basically the same thing. If you look into this, there is biology and chemistry at work determining how a plant starts as a seed and then goes from there. If you have a spider plant in the corner of your apartment, at home in its pot, and you forget about it from one week to the next, it may grow a little bit bigger, but it also might die on you. Basically plants just grow bigger, grow more. It's not like you have three leaves around a base one week, and masses of vines the next. The chances are not large, as I understand it. I mean, between seed and full-grown plant, sure, but that's the same as a fertilized egg turning into a full-grown dog if you want to be straight about it.

I just don't understand, I guess. I wouldn't want someone telling me there are random ropes dangling around my apartment, but I also wouldn't want someone saying they let seven dogs loose in there either. Because sure, those seven dogs might be friendly, but what if they aren't? Or what if I'm spooked by them? With the dogs, I'm accounting for active free will and personality; with the ropes, I'm dealing with physics and a bit of the unknown.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-01 05:08:58

@30
Ah, see, that's the thing though.  Everyone loves to say how mathematical biology is, and I'm sure that if we try really hard we can find plants where they all have 4 leaves and a stem and it's all very nice.  But that's not actually how this works out with plants, that only works with animals, really.  Plants do all sorts of stuff all the time, hell you can even control when/where they'll grow new branches if you try.  Your dog's not going to suddenly have the start of a 5th leg in the middle of its chest because it got a small cut, or something.  Grab the dog's paw or whatever and you can estimate with a high degree of accuracy where the rest of the dog is, how big it is, etc etc etc. and these will be accurate.  I suspect that some people aren't wired to notice those sorts of irregularities and just sort of push differences down into a category called "huh" or "irrelevant" or something and that's the end of it for them and plants, fungi, etc. are suddenly these cool things where isn't biology so regular and mathematical because I'm ignoring the 90% right now.  I suspect that if I could suddenly see tomorrow, this would mostly correct itself because at that point you always know what's coming up, for lack of a better way to put it.

But to be on point, maybe knowing that I'm not even going as far as "plants are poisonous! O god" and would not, in fact, like to stick my hand in your run-of-the-mill garden shrub is helpful to Meatbag.  I'm fine with them, same room no problem, sure, but given the choice I'm sure as hell not interacting with it.

My Blog

2020-10-01 13:37:47

hello,
When I was a child, I remember one of those insects that sound like those plastic things that you shake and are for very young children, I don't remember the word for eather, flue and slamd to my eye. Just imagine, or don't. something big with fast moving wings. from then until a few years ago, it was one of my worst nightmares.
also, the only thing I can imagine of a butterfly, is a fast turning ball of yarn because whenever I managed to find one and touch it without it flying away, like on a window glass, it was constantly moving. The reason I don't have that image of a moth is because once I found a really big one. it was about 2 and half inches wingtip to wingtip and I could easily isolate it's different parts even while it moved.
what I afraid of most of all is, unfamiliar, or unexpected insect. more if it can fly. once I fell down of a staircase in my rush to flee from, a wet fly. because I didn't recognize it's wing sound. big_smile

2020-10-01 13:52:09

For the ceiling fan I could say that it's happened because of an accident happened to me with a ceiling fan when I was 3 years old. Which still left some traces of it on my hed

2020-10-01 13:56:53

I think the point with these sorts of fears is that they're irrational. Sometimes, we don't understand the root cause, and even if we do, it still doesn't make logical sense. If a firm grounding in logic is all that is required to squash these fears, I suspect it would have been done for most of us long before now.

I don't understand the plant thing either, but I know that sighted people don't understand my bug thing. Maybe the fear of insects is more common among the blind because of not being able to see what is making the sound.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-01 14:32:38

I was sure my fear of insects got to do with blindness and this topic proved it.
Well actually I could agree with most people here, I am not afraid of all insects but rather the stings. In fact I am afraid of much more things because of the unknown factor. I mean if I am sure it's a fly, then I am not afraid but I am rather annoyed like any human in the world. But the thing is you are never sure what is it, interestingly enough though I never had a bad experience or something, at least not yet and I hope I don't, lol.
But that brings other fears or phobias or whatever you wanna call it, so I am also afraid of plants and of sitting on the grass, only because plants and grass have insects, not that I fear the plants themselves.
Same goes with any other animal or moving thing, I can simply put it, I am afraid of the unknown and specially that I can't see whether it's coming towards me or not, although it is easier to tell that in case of animals.
Don't get me wrong though, I actually own a dog, and I probably tried all domestic animals people could keep at home before, Cats, turtles, fish, birds and forgot what else. So not really sure if my fears aren't logical since for me they seem so justified, so it's hard to overcome them.

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2020-10-01 14:58:52

And I'm pretty sure everyone that is human, is creeped out by cockroaches.  Those friggin things come in so many  different shapes and sizes and some of them are like little armored creepy crawly tanks after decomposing filth; you just don't want them on you, ever!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-10-01 17:43:11

Wow... for a bunch of hardcore gamers, we are a bunch of wimps, aren't we?

Jade: You're mostly right about plants, but have you ever seen Rosemary? I'm te worst gardener in the world, and my Rosemary is so out of control it grew through the pot it was planted in, down through gravel, and a thick plastic mesh, to embed itself in the ground. They can absolutely explode given the right conditions.

FWIW, my fears are dark water and seaweed, although I suspect this last is more generically: "Slimy shit".

As a child, there was a toilet we used to have to use at a campsite we stayed in. It would regularly leek and flood, and in addition to not being able to use the toilet for a while, it would make everything smell of damp, and leave a big dark stain all over the floor which I could still see.

When I was about 10 I fell in a canal. Reflexes kicked in and I shut my eyes as I fell... luckily closed my mouth too or I'd likely be dead given the state of Coventry's canal.

Anyways, when I opened my eyes again I was up to my neck in dark water, with my feet slowly sinking into slimy shit at the bottom. Turn 180, there's a tall dark wall in front of me. I got out and didn't die, but still, even reading about underground caves, the sea near cliffs, all of that makes my pulse rise.

Let's face it: We're all fucked. We just need to decide how bothered we are about it haha.

Also, moths can go infest the underwear of my enemies when I get some. Bloody horrible vicious things. They make cats seem placid and predictable.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-10-01 21:08:02

I used to have the dog phobia thing too. Kind of still do, though it's gotten a lot less bad over the years, mostly because I've been trying to control it. Ironically enough, when I was younger, it was very much the fear of the unknown that scared me. E.G, I might just be sitting relaxing or on my phone or whatever, when suddenly I feel this wet thing touching me. Or this dog running over to me, but I have no idea what it might do. I've mostly fixed this by effectively telling myself to trust it unless I have a solid reason not to, and that's helped to a degree. I want to get this fixed all the way, parcially because I've been considering getting a guidedog, though I doubt that'll happen given how rarely I'll likely go out when I get my own place, and I've also been considering getting a pet dog, though I'd have to, like, get one that doesn't always have to be walked once a week or whatever, or at least 1 that doesn't have a problem just being walked a few times around the block. Also one that won't get too excitable / difficult to control when around other animals / things in general that peak it's interest, my aunt has a lab that is pretty infamous for this sort of thing, she's even gotten dragged a couple times when the dog pulled on his lead, one of which ended in a broken finger.

2020-10-01 22:12:03

@36
Actually iirc cockroaches are pretty clean, or at least not more dirty than other bugs.  And grasshoppers are considered food (I tried it, it was good).

@38
Being clear that I'm not saying "go get a dog" or something, it is very much possible to get a dog that's very sedate and just wants to cuddle and snore the day away.  Also, lab breaks finger by pulling on leash says a lot of things about the owner, I'm afraid, not the dog.  Can only make that happen if you don't hold the leash well.  They can pull like that, but if you learned how to get a good grip on the leash, which you should have been maintaining at all times for exactly this reason, worst that happens is you get pulled over.

I see a lot of people in this thread saying that they're afraid of dogs but this is irrational.  You shouldn't be afraid of them as such, but you shouldn't ever trust a strange dog unless you know what you're doing and have had a lot of experiences with dogs before.  I don't mind strange dogs, but I've had that experience, in general I know what I'm doing.  Don't necessarily put strange dogs in the fear category, but definitely put them in the respect category, if that makes sense.  They're really usually more afraid of you than you are of them, believe it or not, but at the end of the day all they really know how to do with fear is run away or strike out at you.  And most people screw it up so badly: dogs don't read eye contact and a smile as "he's friendly", they read it as "my, what big teeth he has, and he's challenging me, o no".

I guess my point is that people who are afraid of dogs look at those of us who are like "wolfhound, must have" and get this funny idea that they're safe and the fear is irrational, and those of us who have dogs and know what we're doing are more like it's safe because he's trained and I've put work into making sure he's a good boy.  They certainly don't tear your throat out or anything and most instances are definitely instigated by something obvious that should have been stopped before the dog attacked, but it's very easy to screw this up and end up with what's basically an overexcited, under socialized coward with teeth.

My Blog

2020-10-02 00:48:12

oh my god flying buggies. i hate them. i was efrayed of even scwashing a fly because i thought they were beas, but now i have a general fealing of what flies do, and what beas do. so basicly flies come around and touch you and stuff, while beas don't do these strange behaviors. but i am still efrayed of these things

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2020-10-02 01:29:39

I heard a thing, dunno if its true or not but every time a fly lands, it pisses, shits and pukes on the surface it lands on... so... bleh.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-02 05:00:19

and the thing for me with bugs, like if i no what it is, because i can tell if it's a wosp, or a bee or a fly.   the fly sounds like abit smaller the bea wing sound has abit of a deeper pich and the wosp the same,   but wen i no it's a fly  then i'm like, meh what ever, i'm just gonna get out of this room as soon as i can because some times they kinda fly in to you and omg lol. but an other thing is, if it doesn't make a sound,  i don't care, if it doesn't make a sound i don't no it's there so yay.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-10-02 17:01:57

No what the sad thing is?  I can't even hear the stupid things anymore, not even with hearing aids on.  I'm screwed!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-10-02 17:41:53

Being clear that I'm not saying "go get a dog" or something, it is very much possible to get a dog that's very sedate and just wants to cuddle and snore the day away.  Also, lab breaks finger by pulling on leash says a lot of things about the owner, I'm afraid, not the dog.  Can only make that happen if you don't hold the leash well.  They can pull like that, but if you learned how to get a good grip on the leash, which you should have been maintaining at all times for exactly this reason, worst that happens is you get pulled over.
Worsed that can happen? Let's not talk about how I got pulled over and smashed face first into the ground. Blood everywhere.
Personally I am stupidly scared of spiders. Why, I don't know.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.