2020-08-02 02:11:57

@96: Go be a firefighter. See how you do in that field. Astronaut maybe. And there are jobs relating to driving that we cannot hold. You already said we can't drive, but then said we can hold any job, so one of those statements must be incorrect to you.

2020-08-02 08:01:34

@98, re: ages 2-12: I feel the polar opposite, even excluding the part where my vision worsened in high school. (If anything, it got better when my vision got worse, but I don't think that has so much to do with vision as it does other things... but "better than 13-14" is a pretty low bar.
"Let's be honest, <something specific to the individual that is not as universal as the phrasing makes it out to be>" is one of those phrasings I'd really like to see less of.

... Which just brings me back to how Id rather the singularity / second coming / some manner of over-the-top miracle situation happen before I could be offerred vision, by itself. Sure, if I'm using it to lookat a screen the whole time, that's not so bad. But doing anything else, it'd be a constant reminder of everything else that's broken. What I had wasn't good enough for 21st century games, so really I didn't care too much when it worsened until I got a hold of a game it would have worked with that I'd been wanting for a while and couldn't make sense of it. Of course, I was in college at that point, so nothing important to daily life had gotten my attention yet, because we try to keep people as far away from real life as possible for as long as possible, these days. Really, I think there are loads of sighted people who could use a sighted equivalent of LCB and CCB. People get into their mid-late twenties or even early 30s, not knowing how to handle basic stuff. But then we'd have the sighted equivalent to NFB seminars, and I don't want to guess which political fringe that would , be and just lament that it would inevitably politicize generalized functioning. I think I might hate the 21st century.

Having said all that ... I've spent ... HOLYCRAP 18 YEARS trying to get around blindness to make games and videos etc, and have failed pretty hard. And I still drop things often enough for that to be a headache. Knowing that I can cope with being lost in the middle of nowhere, or that I can build various things out of wood, etc does help, but does not make it easier to undrop things, or to deal with people, or to play Kingdom Hearts. And how am I ever going to make it back to my home planet if you have to have 20/20 vision to be allowed into space?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-08-02 13:45:45 (edited by Dark Eagle 2020-08-02 13:46:39)

@102:
I see where you're coming from. Maybe I should have put it like "Personally for me."

What I was trying to say though, that as a child, I was much more angry that other kids would exclude me, and adults would either talk to me as if they pitied me, or they would talk to me in a condescending tone.

But around my teenage years, I just stopped caring, and well the fact that I finally was introduced to computers, and gaming probably helped a lot in that, since I could entertain myself without listening to other people.

By the way, your point about dropping things is very accuret.

2020-08-02 14:43:25

This mentality of being just as valuable as an able-bodied sighted person, and being able to hold down any job mostly seems to stem from the NFB. I can't stand that organization! Independence is a good thing. It expands our freedoms, and can expand our horizons as we endeavor to try new things; however, independence at the cost of never asking another living soul for help is not. We are human beings, an order of social creatures. We need some level of socialization in our lives. Even the most introverted of people come to need it, as we're seeing with the  ongoing quarantine situation.

So yes, go ahead and teach life skills, but don't ever try to drill it into someone's head that it's wrong to ask for assistance. There's not a one of us that hasn't asked for assistance from someone before. Whether it's express or implied, we all have done it. This goes right to the core of what we are. Even as infants, our instinct is to cry out until we get what we want. Thus, it's against human nature to try to foster a complete sense of independence from any and all other humans.

There is much more that could be said, though it would deviate too far from the current topic to continue along these lines. Just know that vision is so powerful, that even as mine deteriorates, I still have my mental imagery in tact. Our brains are so well-equipped to process visual information, that low vision people can fill in the gaps from just a minute amount of detail.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-02 18:21:20

Yeah, so, w.r.t. filling things in, I will never forget the day I realized I was having accurate hallucinatory vision, and wasn't actually seeing things anymore, only to mention this to another trusted blind friend and have them go "Yeah, me too".  Apparently if you have enough vision and lose it in your 20s, you can kind of end up crosswired so that the knowledge of your local environment links up to what you "should" be seeing.  Obviously it's not accurate if the environment changes--at least, not until the changes are accounted for and incorporated into the model--but I still operate off it all the time, and it kind of can't be turned off even though I've noticed it.

And despite this being a common enough experience that I've known a few people who've done it, no one ever talks about it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-08-02 21:46:54

I have never had the NFB say that you cannot ask for help.  And what is wrong with believing that as we move forward more doors open for the blind?  This is not an NFB argument.  This is me saying that you have a choice to be negative about the situation or you can grab the bull by the horns, pick yourself up by the bootstraps, step up to the plate, and other overly used sayings.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-08-02 22:19:36

picking yourself by the bootstraps has to be one of the most bullshit arguments I've ever heard. Good luck picking yourself up when your condition automatically zeros out alot of shit you can do, not to mention noone believes what you can do, and will jump at any excuse to disqualify you. Oh, and don't forget multiple disabilities too. This idea that blind people can just go out, get a job whenever they want, or become completely 100% independant, regardless of circumstances is  disgusting. Those blind people who look down on anyone who can't achieve any of those. The reality is, gaining any of these is based more on luck, privilidge, or fortunat circomstances than anything else.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-08-02 23:21:06

Ah but pulling oneself up by the bootstraps is what must be done.  I won't look down on anyone who would want sight.  Hell, go for it.

2020-08-02 23:24:17

When and if you give concrete advice for people who mentioned the obvious limitations and what can be done to eliminate them, I can say hell yes, you were right. Until then, only empty words. I could say keep dreaming and one day all of it will become the reality, but it really doesn't mean much for someone being unable to do a job they  were wanting at the time they had sight.

2020-08-02 23:33:46

Let's see if I can reduce this down to its component parts, as I perceive it at least. This is going to apply to all disabilities, really, but I'm gonna focus on blindness because it's the one I'm an expert on.

Being blind does not make you less of a human being. You still have a right to love, compassion, assistance, support, and all of the generalized life opportunities everyone else gets. You might be a good person or a bad person, a kind heart or a complete jerk, empathetic or apathetic. These things, by and large, are not functions of your blindness; they're functions of your character, and the experiences you have while blind may help shape that character, but they are not wholly responsible for it. But you are no more or less valuable, as a person, because you have a disability. A lot of people, both the able and the disabled alike, don't seem to believe or understand this, but it needs to be trumpeted from the rooftops until it becomes innate knowledge. I believe that the NFB, misguided though they are in some ways, is trying to establish this baseline more than anything else. They are trying to convince blind people, as well as those who interact with them, that they are no more or less worthy due to their visual impairment.

However, being blind does make you less valuable in certain fields, the same way that being a paraplegic may make you less valuable in others, or having a cognitive disability may make you unsuited to certain environments. This isn't personal to you; it's just a fact. And because living comfortably requires the acquisition of a job, and because there are many jobs which are harder or impossible for people with visual impairments, it puts us at a financial disadvantage, and ties back to my first point. We can often feel devalued by society because of the way we are treated in the job market, or because the assets we offer are found wanting in fields that don't accommodate for our needs very well, or at all. This is largely society's fault, capitalism's fault, but it's not our fault, either due to our own individual aptitudes or our lacking of one sense or another.

I think that when a blind person says they want to stay blind because they'd miss audiogames, they're definitely not thinking of the big picture. It's a lot like saying "I don't want my arm reattached because this is a really cool stump I've got here, and I'd miss old Stumpy if I actually had an arm and a hand there instead.". I think there are other immature and unreasoned responses that we've seen in this thread as to why someone wants to stay blind, and a few equally silly reasons why a person wants to be able to see again, too.

But I do think there have also been a lot of good reasons here, including mine. If you can't actually make my sight usable, then it's going to be an unnecessary complication. Instead of just being a blind guy who can't do, say, thirty-seven percent of jobs, I'm now a partially sighted guy who can't do thirty-seven percent of jobs, and who also has to deal with really distracting visual input that he can't properly process, much less use effectively. No thank you.

The idea that one's blindness somehow defines one's identity is, I confess, a concept I don't fully understand. Sure, it is -part of one's identity, because it circumscribes one's abilities and may in some way contribute to the way one thinks and behaves. So fine, it's a part of one's identity. But blindness, in and of itself, is not an identity; to imply that it is suggests that there is no other relevant dimension to your life, experience or personality, and I find it hard to believe that anyone is so lacking in depth and breadth. I've lived nearly thirty-seven years on this earth without ever having met someone for whom blindness would make up their entire identity. As such, I see the "I won't lose my blindness because it's my identity" argument as pretty shaky. It might make up an aspect of your life that you don't want to be without, and to that I say fine. Do whatever works for you, I suppose. But it's not identity, it's habituation and aversion to change. And god knows most humans embrace the former and sympathize with the latter.

As someone who has been blind since birth, I can tell you that there are definitely moments where I wished that I could see well. It's by no means the sound track of my life, and it doesn't colour my every interaction with the world in which I live, but it does pop up, and I think that's okay. It doesn't make me weak for thinking this, and it doesn't make me strong for resisting those thoughts. I try and avoid self-pity, too, where I can, but even that will come up from time to time if something is especially frustrating. But alongside that, I can also tell you that true envy doesn't enter into it. I do not envy sighted people because they can do things that I can't. That's silly. There are individuals who can do things that I can't, full stop. Take disability right off the table. Canlorn can code well; I can't. Nocturnis can do music editing; I can't. Flip it around though. I can probably beat Canlorn in a game of chess (though I could be woefully wrong about this), and I probably speak better French than Nocturnis does (again, could be wrong about this). I don't want to waste time worrying about all the things other people do better than me, or worse than me, unless I am forced to compete with those people for resources that I need. At that point, it's not the people I get upset with; it's the fucked-up system which makes up compete over resources for basic needs, when this is not necessary in the slightest. So yeah, I'll have to do it, and I'll lose some battles due to my blindness; sure I will. But that doesn't mean I go around every day lamenting my lack of eyesight, and I think that reducing resistance to fear is shortsighted. Sure, fear is in there for many of us, but the "if you only knew" argument really doesn't hold a lot of water, nor should it. I'm practical. Give me workable sight with as few nasty side effects as we can manage, and I'll jump on it; until you do that, I'm not gonna jump. That doesn't make me afraid, immature or ignorant; that makes me prudent. I have a system that does work, even if that system is, by its nature, flawed. I'll admit those flaws; I know they're there, can account for them, can even make up for some of them. Some of the rest of us can say the same. For those who cannot say the same, who may, for instance, want to keep their blindness because they believe that their skillset is equal, or some other such nonsense, I urge you to read what follows carefully.
Having fewer skills is not your fault. Having lower levels of aptitude in certain skills is not your fault. None of these things are personal condemnations. But they're facts, and the sooner you accept these facts, the sooner you can make peace with your condition, with yourself, and with the world you are living in.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-08-02 23:52:14

Jayde, I still think I would take sight even if I knew I would probably not be able to process all of it. If nothing, it will perminently cure non-24, and I bet a retraining therapy could be given to someone to  force the brain into survival mode and make it learn to interpret new stimuli. One option I think would be to use a chemical or other reversable process to deafen the person for a few weeks to months, or certain times to force the brain into that mode to try to learn the input through the eyes. Alternatively, newly sighted blind could wear headpones or other devices that filter all directional noise or background noise, and only allow speech sounds through, so the navigational component of hearing is destroyed, and hearing solely becomes a sense of communication, as it is in the sighted.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-08-03 00:49:05

Okay, so two things here.

First, I don't believe you could solve neuroplasticity that way. I believe from what I've read that at this point, once you miss certain milestones, they're just gone. You'll never get them back, with what we know at present. You can't just filter out other distractions and ask the brain to retrain and expect good results.

Second, unless someone else can speak up and invalidate what I'm about to say scientifically, I want to slam down pretty hard on the whole "deaden hearing into a sense for pure communication like the sighted" argument. Many sighted people use hearing primarily as a sense for communication. Note that word "primarily". But virtually all sighted people use their hearing as a secondary or even tertiary resource. Just as one example, how many people do you think will become alert when they hear footsteps behind them, even with full sight? Or that rustle in the bushes? That dog growling while wagging its tail (yes, it happens). The creaking when you step on a particular floorboard? All sorts of things. I'm not saying that sighted folks use hearing as much or as constantly as we do, but to try and box it this way is just dangerous. It is not ever, ever a good idea to try and train your ears to react to only speech noises. Jesus, I can't even imagine being in that position. That's true whether a person has no vision at all, or perfectly functioning eyes.

2020-08-03 01:23:52

So, w.r.t. hearing, sight and communication, it took me a long time to realize that blindness is in effect high-functioning autism.  Obviously the neural stuff is different (though there is at least some evidence that blindness and autism are linked) but the effect isn't.  Sighted people use hearing for information transfer via language, but there's an entire second channel for emotion and emphasis that we don't get that's really important for interpersonal relationships.  Also, unless someone went out of their way to teach you to do really basic social things like face people when they're talking to you, you're going to hit sighted people's uncanny valley really really hard.  And all of this, well.  Either someone taught you to simulate sighted social signals, which are honestly much more fundamentally wired than just your particular culture, and you got good at figuring out emotions from way more context than any sighted person ever needs.  Or you come across as weird.  Not just a little bit weird, either.

And with respect to jobs, I don't think that's getting better.  It's not getting worse, but we have traded one kind of inaccessibility for another kind of inaccessibility with technology.  Accessibility is really good for anyone consuming content with their phone or computer, but it's a continuous battle to get anyone to care about those of us who have to be efficient enough to be employed (Apple, Google, I'm looking at you), it's significant effort to make inaccessible apps accessible, there's no money in it, and the kind of laws that could fix this would be draconian by any measure.  Say what you want about the past, but "Can I use this telephone system" is a modern problem.

Also, the things you can do independently outside work are in some ways on the decline too.  For instance, my apartment has an electronic package locker system that's basically inaccessible.  After we fought with them for 2 months they fixed the physical keypad, but that's not actually enough because it's got non-talking menus and the keys don't reliably press.  Fortunately my property manager was on my side here, but still.  My washer is only usable because it happens to have lights that Seeing AI can pick up, but the knobs and buttons can't be marked because they're the new style that doesn't have an endpoint and just increments a digital counter.  Whenever I want to get something nice for cooking--i.e. my food processor--it turns into a research project called "Can I use the buttons" with a side of "Does it even have buttons".  Modern thermostats are pretty much universally inaccessible unless they're a smart thermostat and you've linked it up to a voice assistant, and that only works as long as you have internet plus you just had to get an expensive thermostat.

Say what you want about the past, and maybe jobs are somewhat better, but 20-30 years ago you didn't have to wonder if you'd be able to use the appliances you just bought.

My Blog

2020-08-03 02:44:11 (edited by Ghost 2020-08-03 02:45:25)

Jayde, I understand what you mean about neuroplasticity and critical periods. The most  important one of these is language, or at least it appears to be, as can be seen by the case of Victor the wild child, and the case of genie.  The story of genie is particularly a tragic one. But I have yet to see any evidence that there also exists a critical period for vision. Language is a very unique system, and a complex one but there hasn't been any evidence that vision can't be re-introduced to the brain at some point.
Camlorn,  I actually did research on socio pragmatic competence and theory of mind in blind people   for my masters. I learned alot  about blind people getting the autism diagnosis, and my opinion is that blindness causes blind  people to share several trates with autism as a result of deprevation from visual cues as you said, however these defesits appear to be fundementally different from autism. Also, the criteria for making an autism diagnosis has visual findings heavily weighted, which contributes to the problem.
I really think though that software accessibility is going downhill fast. The number of fully usable applications decreases each day. Now when choosing an antivirus or other software, you choose the one you can use, not the one that offers the best features or protection.
Apliences are unfortunatly going all touch, which means you have to rely on smart ones to use them, which usually don't have accessible apps iether. But for washers and dryers,, if you have the option, you might want to get your own for ease of use and less frustration. When I was shopping for my own set, I  did alot of research,  and there is literally only one brand that offers blind specific accessibility features built in to their aplience. The smart Samsung machines are fully usable in combination with the app, the braille labels  next to the main buttons, and  the ascending/descending audio tones for all the options in counter options. But funnily enough, sighted people were bitching about  the audio tones for all the options, and how they can't turn them off  in the reviews, so I won't be surprised if they remove the accessibility features in the future. It is really a shame though that you have to only get specific apliences to be able to use them properly, instead of selecting among all available options for features you want or other qualities.

2020-08-03 03:20:00

Okay, if we're gonna split hairs, fine.  I know the blind can't drive,, fly aircraft, or anything that requires the processing of visual input.  No kidding!  I am trying to say that we should place ourselves in a situation of high expectations so as to put us on as equal footing as possible with our sighted counterparts.  I for one certainly strive for this, and as a result, my lack of sight doesn't come up.  If it does come up it's rare.

2020-08-03 04:19:12

irrationally high expectations can also create stress, and cause depression when you will be unable to meet them. Ignoring blindness or other disabilities put you at a disadvantage and cause problems is like arguing the earth is flat. You can  burrie your head in the sand, but that won't change objective facts.

2020-08-03 14:41:17

Considering Jayde raised the topic of chess, I feel that's another example which I can do better at if I have sight.

I have played a lot of chess against the sighted people, since there aren't any blind players in my immediate vicinity, I do end up playing against them.

What I have observed is that, when a sighted person is calculating a move, they can have the entire board in front of them, so if they want to consider a move, they can just take a quick look of the board, and make the move accordingly.

Meanwhile, what I do is track the position of the pieces with the fingers, (Since it is a blind chess set, I think I should have mentioned it first,) but even then I can't exactly have the prospect of the entire board, meaning that even if the board is blind friendly, I still can't exactly keep the track of every piece on the board.

Now, this doesn't mean that I get an automatic loss against a sighted person. I do beat my sister regularly, (And so far she has only one against me once,) and I have a lot of close matches with sighted players where I nearly had the win, but fumbled it up.

But if I did had sight, I would have been much more better chess player, and not to mention if something were to happen with my board, I can by a new one from the usual local shop.

2020-08-03 15:42:07

@114
Someone also worked out how to get some General Electric appliances talking by hooking into the maintenance port with an arduino, but I don't have the reference handy.

W.r.t. blindness and autism, I don't think that blindness itself causes autism in the sense that the underlying mechanisms are the same, but somehow half the blind people I've known over the years have also had some of the stuff that's hard to attribute to blindness like highly focused interests.  But I'm a programmer, most of my friends are programmers, and whether that's actually causal or not it's also a high correlation for such traits, so perhaps that's not surprising.

My Blog

2020-08-03 19:01:45

DarkEagle, I think what you're describing with chess comes down to spatial reasoning, not just to blindness. I have been blind since birth, and I'm a pretty strong chess player. I mean, I'm not a grandmaster or anything, but I can play entire games of chess in my head without a board, and a lot of higher-ranked sighted players can do the same thing. Chess is an eight-by-eight grid with a maximum of thirty-two pieces on it, so for me personally, I don't have much trouble at all keeping track of pieces.

The only advantage I could see the sighted having over the blind is this. Say I'm in a tournament; in chess, you're really not supposed to touch pieces that you don't intend to move, so groping the board in a tournament probably isn't going to fly. That said, it's okay for a blind player to have a separate board set aside which they can manipulate to their heart's content, without penalty. The advantage to the sighted player is that if a blind person's hands are wandering over this board, the sighted player might get an idea of their intentions this way. But speaking for myself at this point, I don't have this problem. A good friend of mine has improved by leaps and bounds under my teaching, and I asked him if he can ever glean advantage from the way my hands move on the board. He said no. It was something I used to have more problems with, but now I tend to calculate more in my head than with my hands.

2020-08-03 22:25:01

I guess we can pick apart the ways sighted may have advantages over the blind but why go down that rabbit hole?  As I said, it's about being happy with the way you are.

2020-08-03 22:36:14

Kjsisco, I agree with you but only up to a point. I think one must be realistic, and that does mean admitting where the sighted have general advantages over us. I don't know how old you are or what life experience you have, but I just about guarantee you that the inequity between the blind and sighted is going to bite you hard at least once in your lifetime if it hasn't already.
And no, that doesn't mean we just roll over, bemoan our fate and lie in the gutter. Perish the thought. But it does mean that assuming we're all even and equal at everything, and special each in our own way for everything, is silly. As I pointed out in my longer post, we're all equal as human beings regardless of our ability to see, walk, speak or whatever else, but in specific arenas, people have advantages or disadvantages which are real and which must be acknowledged in context.

2020-08-04 02:06:20

@kjsisco
No one is picking apart the ways the sighted have advantages over the blind.  There's no picking apart to be done.  It's blatantly obvious once you're living independently and holding down a job and doing all those things you're supposed to do as an adult.

being able to sweep the advantages of the sighted under the rug isn't about identity.  If you can do that you're either young, living in proximity to sighted people who help you out, or somehow you have more privilege than me and my 6 figure programmer salary.

I've had multiple job-related blindness stories, I've had multiple airport-related blindness stories, I've had multiple home-related blindness stories, I've had multiple college-related blindness stories.  I could probably think up a few more categories.  All of them caused problems, all of those problems wouldn't have been problems if I were sighted.  If you haven't yet built up a list of stories like this, if you haven't yet come to understand your limitations, then you should think long and hard why so many of us do have stories like this and what it might mean.  I promise that those of us who are talking about the advantages of the sighted, we're not being hypothetical.  I used to think like you do.  Then I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to actually go out into the world, to live alone without a support network, and push myself far enough to find the limitations.  That sucks in a way, though I actually prefer living alone without a support network over going back to Florida where I have one, but I also feel kind of sorry for you if you're an adult and have had a boring enough life that you haven't found the edge of what blind people can reasonably do.  I will warn you now: if this is the case, you're not prepared for the day that that happens to you.

You keep trying to turn this into some sort of blindness philosophy in order to ignore the purely practical points we're making.  Obviously we're not going to force you to take a cure if it existed.  But you're arguing against purely practical things with fortune cookie-style philosophy.  Your "blindness is identity" arguments don't help me or anyone else get to the grocery store.  They don't help us reroute around construction.  If you're living alone, they don't let you magically know just how bad that burn is.  They don't teleport us to work, or find the pill you just dropped before the dog eats it, or make employers consider us equal.  It doesn't turn getting stuck in some airport somewhere into anything less than a nightmare, or let you find your new doctor's office without Aira or somehow getting another human being involved.  It doesn't let you sense the electromagnetic emissions of your appliances to read their touchscreens, tel if there's mold on the ceiling, notice that the couch is stained and everyone has just been too polite to mention it.  It doesn't make the clouds move out of the way of the GPS signal, or the uber driver notice that maybe that blind guy is waiting on him.  I could go on.

All it does is provides you some justification to put your head in the sand, because obviously monstrously long and impactful lists of just what we can't do and what's harder that aren't things like fighter pilot that we nonetheless have to deal with every day is just picking apart the advantages of the sighted.  I've got news.  It's not picking apart anything, and it's not about the advantages of the sighted.  It's about the disadvantages of the blind.  You will have these disadvantages until there's a cure and you choose to take it.  The only control you have over that is whether you face them or avoid acknowledging that they exist, you're avoiding, and ironically avoiding actually just makes it worse because only when you face them can you find ways around or through them.

My Blog

2020-08-04 03:13:11

@105 I've always wondered if it's just me! This is exactly what happens to me, and I lost my vision long before my 20s. Not sure exactly but by high school I had basically nothing left except a bit of light perception (and even that has mostly gone by now). I first noticed it somewhere in primary school though when I saw my hands until they moved up and I realised they were under a table and I shouldn't be seeing them. I've never actually met anyone else who has a similar experience, but come to think of it all the visually impaired people I know have either been blind from birth or still have some vision left so I guess I don't know anyone else who had ision then lost it completely. Everyone always asks me what I see (sighted people seem to think that blind people only see black) and explaining it is complicated and people don't really seem to get it. Sorry for going off-topic but I've literally never heard this being talked about before.

2020-08-04 05:09:28

@120. No one is saying that they are not happy. are they? People are just saying that the sited have advantages over the blind which is true.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-08-04 05:09:44

Camlorn, I have an infinite list of blindness stories unfortunatly. I can add blindness combination hearing loss stories to them too. Let me share some college blindness stories.
The vending machine. So our dorm had this vending machine to buy sandwiches and snacks. Of course, because of my fucked up blindie sleep schedule, and also pulling all nighters, I didn't always have the option of going there with a sighted person. So I memorized the numbers for some of the things  I liked. These numbers would constantly change, insuring I got snacks I didn't necesarily want or like. Also, when you typed a number with an empty shelf,  the shelf would rotate  initially, and you could type another number, or if the item got stuck, you could put more cash in, and try and buy another of the item or alternatively,   you could shake or slam your shoulder into the machine to dislodge it. Of course, as students found a way to abuse it, they removed the ability to try again  if a shelf was empty, so for example, if you typed 41, and 41 was empty, it would eat your money. I lost dozens of turkish lira that way, even if you average the free sandwiches I got in my first year when retyping the number when items got stuck. Not a single sighted probably ever lost any money, due to seeing what was on what shelf.
the cane
So I was crossing this gym parking lot entrance, which was just on the curb. I was with a friend, and this fucking moron ran over my cane, and when I say ran, he ran c The wheel of the car made one complete rotation on my cane. My friend screamed, and then  you know what that idiot did? He reversed, and ran over my cane again,  while I was holding it The metal was so badly warped,  one of the personel in charge of building maintenence was helpful enough to fix it  almost completely with a small hammer. That guy could have easily ran over my foot, and if I were sighted in that scinario, I wouldn't have needed a cane, and probably could've gotten out of the way too.
and a home blindness story: The smoke detector.
So I wake up at 6, and the house is freezing, so I decide to light the electric heater for the first time. However, smoke shoots out of the vents, and the smoke detectors start blaring. I spent around 20-30 minutes trying to find where it was, and then spent another 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn it off. God knows what my neighbors thought of me. Not to mention the wheeled chair I stood on rolled out from under my feet, and ı nearly crashed to the floor. Again, sight would've allowed me to pinpoint the location of the detector, and at least fan it and make it stop.