2020-07-29 05:59:16

It needs saying, this topic is a perfect demonstration of how blind people are isolated from the real world. Here I must clarify that I am not talking about guys like Jayde or Nocturnus who provided very valid points and reasoning, but seriously? You don't want your sight back because of voiceover, audio gaming or whatever else? First, if your life depends on something as insignificant as an audio game, that is a real problem. Second, theoretically, there is no reason why, if you so choose you can't continue playing audiogames. However, I can't ever see myself doing that with millions of mainstream games available in any genre. Would I rather play a real fighting game with actual combos or a space bar masher? As for Voiceover or any other screen reader, that really should not need any explanation. Would you  rather Tap WhatsApp, wait for VO to say it and double tap, or just look at where it is and tap to open it? Would you rather scan a screenshot using seeing AI and read it or just read it directly? Some of the posts in this topic really make me laugh hard. Maybe to  an extent I can even understand not being completely certain about it, but seriously, better express that than outright saying no and giving such reasoning. One last point before I go to sleep:
Someone else said, god made you blind for a reason and it must be a good one. So let's illustrate that. You are born with a disease. A medicine is found, and you tell to a doctor no sir, god made me like this so I will continue being blind? Well, if you want to be that religious, god gave you an opportunity to massively improve your life.

PS: I hope the "I would rather die than having sight" is a troll.

2020-07-29 07:02:45

Agreed with 51.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-07-29 07:22:22 (edited by Jeffb 2020-07-29 07:24:48)

@51 thumbs up. I understand the point that you're afraid of sensory over-load and the time it would take to adjust but rather die than see I can't understand.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-29 10:51:58 (edited by Agent47 2020-07-29 10:54:38)

hi i would if i could because i diden't have to look for movies with a d and audio games wich are not like main streem games i could play klash and fort night i think @ 2050 some thing will happen like the movie upgrade if u havent watchet go do that
right knowand do it with hed phones, ok yes y not but its not my dieing wish i'm fine as i i am but if i get the chanse y not take it things are fine with me but y not  make them greater'r'r'r'r'r'r'rr' o sory buy

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2020-07-29 16:26:33

We all have our own opinion on this of course but it saddens me to see people view there blindness as this disease.  It's who you are.

2020-07-29 17:55:42

No, it's not. The faster you accept that, the better it is. Blindness isn't my characteristic, it is not something I chose to do and something I can choose to stop. People are born or become blind as a result of some sort of disease. That does not mean you should cry every day how you want your sight back, nor that I do not accept blindness. However, facts are like this. Blindness isn't something that defines me, or who I am.

2020-07-29 18:20:56

hi, its not alwais a sikness, i becaime blind because of a fucking untraned dok

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2020-07-29 18:50:44

I kind of clash with @56 here. Objectively, the Leber's defect  is just that, a genetic defect. No one could have forsene or prevented it. But when saying I would undergo a treatment that could give me 20-20 vision, I look at the big picture. If the futurist's predictions for the next 30 years in medical tech and life expectancy don't come true, then I couldn't care less. But if they do, I might be setting myself up for centuries of living blind which I wouldn't have to do otherwise. And as much as some people might not like this, if you're born blind, it defines you, to a large degree. It's such a fundamental thing that you can't make it not affect your life, from the people you interact with, to the job you end up having. If me and my sister had been born perfectly sighted, there's a real possibility we would have never put as much time into music as we have. Now my sister's about to start a year of studying in the berklee college of music, which is pretty much the #1 music college in the world. And I wouldn't have met everyone I know and like today. I wouldn't have experienced the awesome feelings you get when you perform live, and when you know that what you perform can change people's moods.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-07-29 18:56:03

@55
I hate this kind of thinking.  If you get your vision back you're whoever you are now with whatever capabilities you currently have, the same likes, dislikes, personality, etc.  Vision doesn't change that.  But it does let you do tons more.  Me plus vision is still me, except now I can drive a car, read math textbooks, travel the world, do who knows what else.  Never have to worry about if an app is accessible again.  Play any sighted videogame.

I don't wake up every morning and go "man I still don't have vision today".  Few of us do.  But it'd be really nice.  I'm not differently gifted.  Neither are you.  We're versions of ourselves that are currently without vision.  That doesn't make us less capable.  But if we did have vision, we'd all instantly become incredibly more capable.  It wouldn't solve our problems.  But it goes a long way.

It surprises me how few people get this, and I have a great deal of trouble seeing "vision is part of your identity" as anything but "I can't come to terms with being less capable than someone else, so I'll relabel it identity instead of disability".

Maybe the cure will be expensive.  Maybe the cure will have side effects.  Maybe the cure will be "you get vision but you die in 1 year".  But all of those hypotheticals aren't likely, and without them there's literally no rational reason to sit here and go "I'll pass on that cure, thanks".

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-07-29 22:13:56

I do not view myself as less capable because I've learned to adapt and I am damn proud of it.  I am blind yet I work in the tech field side by side with the sighted.  Blindness is no great shakes and I would not want to have things any other way.  Now, sometimes I do wonder if my time in the education system would have gone smoother but it is what it is.  I fought those battles and guess what?  I came out on top.

2020-07-29 22:46:06

@60
And yet, irregardless of what you think, you are objectively and provably less capable than an equivalent version of you that also had sight.  That's not an opinion.  You plus sight could do tons more things.  Maybe you don't want to do those things, but since those things include "drive to the store on your own" and a whole variety of similar daily tasks, good luck convincing me or most anyone else here of that.

Ironically enough, I'm a programmer, and a pretty good one, certainly better than a majority of sighted programmers.  But there are tons of things I can't ever do in the field of programming because I am blind and they require various inaccessible things--and for a lot of it, for instance some of the steps involved in using FPGAs--you can't just make it accessible somehow because it's fundamentally visual, and trying to shove it into something auditory or tactile is like trying to watch Netflix over dialup from the 90s.

I'm not using capable as in worth.  It's not about whether you're a person.  But having vision expands your possibilities drastically, and you can't actually dispute that.  The best you can do is decide that you don't care about them.  But it's almost certainly literally worth money, if you want a practical way to put it.  Instacart, living near public transportation, etc. are all expensive things, and by being less efficient at your job you are making less money than you could otherwise be for the same amount of work.  Yes, you can work at the level of a sighted person, and I do too.  But that doesn't mean I'm not aware that sighted me could be faster/better than blind me.

And again, that's before you even get to our inability to participate in modern culture, to travel, to just go out and experience the world on a whim because we want to.  Hell, look at Covid.  There's very little you can share with sighted friends without being in the same room, at least unless you're already well past the point where you're getting to know each other.  Online games, sharing pictures of dinner, "look at my cute dog"--none of that is stuff we get.  Modern communication itself is starting to change, even, to a picture-centric model where you'll send messages with a picture and a couple words about it.  It's literally to the point where I could see us being pushed out of online discourse in 10 years, just because young people grow up in this world where you don't even need to use English anymore to get your point across.  Not that it matters, though, because broadly speaking blind people can't spell anyway.

Thing about these points is you can't actually debate them.  You can just stick your head in the sand and say "Well but I personally feel that" and seriously, stop.  You don't have to be miserable that you're blind.  In fact being blind doesn't even mean being less happy than someone sighted.  But "It's part of my identity and I'm already as good as a sighted person": no.  If it's part of your identity, getting vision isn't going to actually change your identity because it's already done what it's going to.  And you might be as capable as some sighted people, but you're not as capable as the only sighted person that should matter, namely yourself with vision.

If someone said here's a free $1000, no strings attached I'd take it.  If someone said here's some free vision, no strings attached, I'd also take it, for the same reasons.  And for the same reasons, I consider anyone trying the "but it's identity, I don't need it" rhetoric to be very flawed.  Maybe you don't need the $1000, but the $1000 didn't take the $1000 from someone else and you're $1000 richer.  And if you ever decided that you really didn't want the $1000 you could give it to charity, in the same way that if you ever really decided you wanted to be blind again you could arrange for that.

My Blog

2020-07-29 22:59:55 (edited by daigonite 2020-07-29 23:01:53)

I know I'm sighted but I have a lot of issues with visual processing which can cause migraines. In fact most modern games are completely unplayable for me because i get very sick within 30 minutes of play. I like to tell people that my visual cortex has a memory leak. It would be nice if I could turn it off temporarily. Even if you close your eyes you can't do that, so if I'm having some sort of episode I can still see things even if I close my eyes, and it can be very difficult to deal with. So there is a real functional advantage to blindness - and most life on earth has managed just find without sight.

I think one of the most disturbing things about this subject in general is that a lot of the reason why people would want to gain sight is due to loss of social function, not necessarily the blindness itself (although it undoubtedly plays a role). The reason why is not because these people are wrong to feel this way, but these social/environmental pressures also dominate people who are content with being blind - and see the situation as something that needs to cure their blindness rather than the situation surrounding them. A lot of the struggle with being blind is that blind people have to deal with a sighted world.

I'm not super familiar with the situation on deaf communities, but because of the nature of their disability, they often form their own true subcultures and even languages, and so being forced to live in a hearing world where people are forced to gain hearing means the erasure of that kind of existence. How might this apply to blind people?

One question that also comes up from this problem too is the issue of whether or not it would be better for people to just go blind, so  the other way around - should we allow people to have the choice to go blind if we gave people the choice to be sighted? Because of my own specific disability I can see at least some advantages of being blind, and many blind conditions cause horribly pain and restrict freedom of people's lives before their eyes completely fail and have to be removed, such as glaucoma. If blind people could actually be allowed to function, then the movement between blindness to sightedness shouldn't be one way.

Ultimately I believe that the problem with this question is that we live in a world where the possibility of living as a blind person is shut down constantly, and blind people are forced to ask if they should have sight. Being blind sucks but I don't think being blind is the real reason why, when we live in an era with technology that COULD actually revolutionize blind people but most people are not assed enough to make it possible.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2020-07-29 23:47:27

@62: Yes, if someone wants to go blind, they should be allowed to do that IMO. If you want to do something with your body that doesn't harm other people, you should be allowed to do that. I also believe assisted suicide, for example, should be allowed but that's another subject entirely. IMO it wouldn't be a smart move because we live in a sighted world and that's not going to change any time soon, but if that's what you want to do, go for it I guess. And yes, it's largely a social issue for me, although not entirely. A lot of it is being able to play video games not just for the social prospects of being able to talk about them or participate in them with your friends, but just for the entertainment prospects. Part of my reasoning for wanting to drive would be to easily meet up with friends, but most of it is just because I want to go places and would prefer taking a car that I own to them. There are plenty of examples in this thread that aren't social.
Also, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything, unless you mean retroactively applying these treatments in babies, or whatever. If there were no more blind people, I guess there would be no more audiogames, which IMO would be fine. Why would there need to be? Mainstream games are like 20 years ahead of our most advanced ones, and developing in parallel is a waste of time.

2020-07-30 00:09:29

@62
I was going to write a long reply, then I realized that a cure for blindness counts as technology that lets blind people not be dismissed and puts them on par with sighted people, so now you get this shorter but still a bit lengthy one instead.  And that's not even splitting hairs, that's literally what it is.  As with many of the arguments/"questions" that like to get raised here, you have to somehow logic your way around the elephant in the room.

if blind people were going to develop a society of some sort we already would have.  Considering that hypothetical is also pointless.  You'd have to go out of the way to make society of the blind happen, or it would have already.

And with the likelihood that the cure for blindness for most of us is a neural implant of some sort going up every day, you may very well be able to turn it off as well.  Plus the only way to have a visual cortex that's more shut off than closing your eyes is to have been entirely blind since the day of your birth, and given that it seems to come with all sorts of spatial reasoning issues in addition to needing to spend double digit numbers of years learning to make up for not having vision, "I have migraines, therefore blindness doesn't seem so bad" is kind of...well.  As someone who has done this and who has succeeded beyond what most sighted people manage with their lives, I promise you that they'd have to be incredibly debilitating, continuous, daily migraines for that to even be a remotely fair comparison.  And it's not about the games or the social stuff, it's about "man it would be nice to walk to place x without having to get someone to show me how first" sorts of things that you're not going to solve short of developing artificial general intelligence, and if we had AGI we'd all be busy living in our science fiction eutopia or something and this wouldn't matter.

My Blog

2020-07-30 00:38:42

Hi there,
@50: eyes transplantation is a quite complicated thing, primarily for two reasons. The firstone is the muscular structure around eyes. Muscles like thigh muscle or arm muscle (I don't know the proper english names) are quite simple, as they are big and work in rather simple way. Muscles around eyes are much smaller, fitted in a small area, and expected to move eyes in various directions, controll your caps etc. This is not easy to reproduce during a transplantation, everything must fit perfectly, otherwise the patient would have quite hot times after waking up.
But this problem is not that significant compared to the secondone, consisting of joining patient's optical nerve to the new eye. This is a real trouble, where things get stuck, as nerves can't be simply joined with glue or something like that. They must grow together, what is a quite unpleasant fact considering, that neurons and neural paths do all possible sorts of things just not growing.
Neurons are one of the longest living cells in human body, most of them are already created when a baby is born, and last for the whole lifetime. Neuroscientists believe, that some neural paths are built during development of brain, but after the circuits are set, they don't grow or reproduce anymore.
Thus, it's not that hard to understand, how challenging is to get these two things to join together.
There were some very interesting progresses in this problem in recent years, with successful restoring sight of mouses with cut optical nerves.
But the methods are not strong enough yet to work on humans, so further research is necessary.

As for moral aspect of transplanting an eye, I wouldn't have problems myself with it. These sorts of transplantations are done already with other organs, so eyes would be just another entry on the list. The person originally wearing them won't need them anymore, and they would decay after some time anyway, so making use of them is the best thing to do. And if the person wants them in his grave so strongly, I can still return them after my death. big_smile
But seriously, as far as I know, you must give an agreement to use your organs for transplantations after your death, noone will be opening corpses with "you know, we need something from this guy. Don't worry, he will look normally again after we close him."
That means, that the person explicitly wanted his eyes to be donored, and thus having them transplanted is okay.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-07-30 01:13:43

@65
To add to that though, we're getting closer to being able to clone organs every day.  Whether that'd come before or after fully functional eye transplantation I don't know and in part it depends how zealous we are about stem cells and other things as a society.  But there are multiple companies who have gotten as far as cloned chicken nuggets being eaten by actual people.  That is, there was no chicken involved.  I believe one of them did it from feathers actually.  Now admittedly it's not growing in the shape of a nugget and it's fiddly and it's too expensive for your local restaurant, but given that the idea was entirely laughable that you'd have actual meat without the animal even 5 years or so ago and now we can put it on your plate...

Welcome to the beginnings of our science fiction future.  The first miracles are always the most expensive.  But we went from the computing equivalent of that in 1960 or so to where we are now in around 50 years.

My Blog

2020-07-30 01:27:49

You know it's interesting.  Someone could see this on the web via a search and they would see people on this website saying, "hear yee, hear yee, the blind are inferior!"  What message does this send?  It's bad enough so many people look at us sideways and even think we should be locked away.  It is a shame.  Ah but by all means, keep taking the stance that it is best not to be blind.  Sorry internet.

2020-07-30 01:32:04 (edited by Jeffb 2020-07-30 01:35:23)

Given the choice though it is better to be sighted in a sighted world. If this were a underground society of badger moles or or if we were all Earth benders like Toph where we could see with our feet it wouldn't matter. No one is saying it's unbareable to be blind. No one is saying it's not doable.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-07-30 01:35:16

I don't like the science fiction future. It sounds weirdly alienating. I don't know why. Extreme transhumanism and/or brain-linked simulations are clearly the only way to Live the Life I want™. But whenever I hear people talk about those things, it just sounds sad. I am confused.
But yeah, if I had to pick one futuristic perk, it would not be sight. I'd need to know what futuristic perks are actually on the hypofuturistical table before picking one, but I'd much rather have perfect teeth / no RSI / other biomancies. Things where I know the quality-of-life improvement is unambiguous and positive and without major tradeoffs or concerns. But were I offerred 5 ... eh, maybe. I'd have to actually try and make the list to be sure. But it feels like an obligation more than like something I'd actually want.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-07-30 02:16:57

Sorry @67, perhaps you like to live in an unrealistic world and think we are superior, but I certainly don't. The blind are inferiour in some areas, this is a fact nobody should be ashamed of admitting. Can you drive a car, plane, anything? Or if you like it based on tech, can you get a new PC and immediately go to the Bios to configure the boot devices properly without sighted help for the first time? What happens when you encounter an inaccessible Captcha? No registering for you, because you don't have those different superior abilities. Noone is saying hey, poor blind people can't do anything on their own, people are saying the obvious, which is something that Camlorn already explained very well in his post. I honestly find it hard to believe that in 2020 someone said we should not be realistic about our abilities and what we can and can't do because, I quote,
"It's bad enough so many people look at us sideways and even think we should be locked away. "
I can't even remember the last time I read something anywhere close to blind people being locked away. But if you can, feel free to poinnt out the post which said blind people can't do anything on their own and are completely inferiour.

2020-07-30 02:17:22

@61: yeah, I basically see refusing as leaving money on the ground. I worry about things that might come with it because I know what living in my head is like. Fixing this one thing by itself, without fixing the other things... I could probably cope, but, like, the kind where I'm not sure?
@64: You know, of the three drop-routes they gave me at LCB, I mostly liked the first one and was kinda "meh" about the other two. The first one was an adventure. The second was just a long walk because apparently that weird texture sound on Alabama Ave extends a mile past Tech Drive. And the third was lame because I'd already found Lowe's before so immediately knew where I was (I heard the intercom while passing by while looking for someplace else, and went in to check the address). The first one, though, they just dropped me off in a tiny parking lot in the middle of the woods on some obscure backroad I'd never come within a mile of.
The "find this address" assignment that originally led to my finding Lowe's, though, does demonstrate a #blindproblem, though. I found the right block, and the right street, but there was a shared parking lot with the driveway on a completely different road. I have no idea how I was expected to find that out. There wasn't anyone reasonably close to ask. I finally just picked a spot that sounded clearish, and charged up the hill to see if there was a way to reach the parking lot that way. I don't remember if I left the same way, or actually found the driveway on my way out. But yeah, I still have no idea how I was supposed to guess that the driveway was on the perpendicular, and a sighted person would have known immediately, and even if I had only the sight I had in the 1990s, I could have seen the parking lot and just did what I wound up doing an hour earlier.
Which is to say: this is like the second or third time I've heard you suggest that independent travel in an unknown place is impossible. I felt that way and whined about it a lot on this very forum, then tested the limits experimentally (and would have done it sooner if I had more conscientiousness than a stump), and, empirically, I can just ask Siri or Google Maps just like everybody else, and not need rescuing ... at least 2/3 of the time. And Indianapolis was my own damn fault (but the panicking civilians didn't make things easier). ... And also empirically, I still ran into "how was I supposed to figure that out blindly?" things on occasion. I can't tell if I'm splitting hairs or not, here. Sorry if I got this completely wrong hmm

This feels weird. Like, in 2013-14, I was complaining about how you basically had to be some kind of demigod to overcome such and such problem. Then I overcame said problem. So either you don't have to be a demigod, or I am a demigod. I don't think it's the latter. I think maybe I'm unusually visually-minded or something? It'd explain the travel skills, and the geometry, and the platformers, and the intermittent attempts at doing things with graphics. Eh, I don't buy it.

Ugh. Can a GP prescribe Adderall? I feel like I'm making more ADHD-addled narcissistic posts than usual. Oh, hey, if I wasn't blind, I wouldn't have Medicaid, would I? ... What insurance would I have now, and what would I have had 5 years ago? Hmm. Well, whatever it would have been, it wouldn't have had the restriction about not being able to get stimulants when neither employed nor a student.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-07-30 02:34:09

No, I'd be too worried about them making it worse. Not only that but the daunting task of having to relearn how to estimate distance from crappy vision to good vision. Nah, I'm good.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-30 02:59:52 (edited by daigonite 2020-07-30 03:07:08)

camlorn, i don't really think that a "Society of the blind" is really what's necessary. More a social revolution for disability in general (as in, how we approach how we think about disability). After all these are issues that intersect many disabled issues at large, although blindness is a specific presentation with unique circumstances. The problem with implants is that we organize our healthcare based around the idea of a healthy person, so much more resources is invested into it. this is actually a big reason why accessibility gets a lot less funding than expensive surgeries despite being more effective at presenting a social solution to blindness - its because we socially want people to be healthy. So by submitting to transplants we don't actually give the possibility for more lives, but actually less, by eliminating the blind way of life, along with other disabilities, instead of accommodating them.

This isn't to say that these surgeries are bad by the way - but rather the way that we socially look at them is based around treating blind people, rather than giving blind people options. And that actually LIMITS options for blind people, by forcing them to live as a sighted person if they can, in this theoretical scenario.

Furthermore I think a lot of people would feel uncomfortable with the idea of their bodies being modified without their will. consider the huge ethical issues surrounding intersex surgeries for example. You're talking about a full scale technological invasion of people's own bodies, which will likely be driven by some large corporation or government organization. I do not trust that one bit. Then there are the children who aren't given autonomy over their own bodies, with both disability and gender, that are forced to suffer through treatments their parents think is best for them instead of deciding for themselves. They can't even say no. This is a source of a lot of trauma in many disability and queer communities.

The problem with this kind of science fiction future is that it doesn't recognize the inherent structures that drive our decisions, which leads to an eventual path towards elimination of differentiated experiences. The idea that along with a cure for blindness we bring forward a cure for sightedness ignores the social pressures involved. Consider that we could literally blind anyone we wanted permanently right now quite easily by simply removing their eyes but this option is not socially available. Why is that? Simple - because the healthy person excludes blindness.

@70 - I understand your pessimism but remember that almost all of those things you listed are hard for blind people to use because of how we socially structure society based around vision. Most of those things are either tools that have crappy accessibility or tools that blind people can't use but people are expected to use. It's just that blind people have to deal with so many crappy design choices because of assumptions based around healthy people. It's worth stressing that these design choices also impact a lot of other disabled people as well, so its a process that extends across a wide group of people, not just the blind; so i feel its necessary to at least try to change, since it impacts so many people.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2020-07-30 07:36:44

And it is my dying wish that cannot be fulfilled. I want my vision back because I want to experience what it's like to see the world. Though people in my surroundings told me that seing the world is a mess, it really doesn't matter. Yes I enjoy being blind. I have accessible apps. I can use gadgets. But no, there is still lacking. I need to fill that hole to complete that missing piece inside of me but it is the most impossible thing to happen. But if 1day, the heavens will grant my wish then... I'd be glad to take that wonderful opportunity.

2020-07-30 10:16:55

@@73: I feel like there are two parts to the social model that you describe. One of these is purely social / not well thought out by the sighted majority, and the other is based around the absurd overpowered nature of vision compared to the other senses, making it impractical to design things any other way until we can afford to. (When any particular society could afford to move away from a monosensic structure is a vast a complex subject, and some would argue that progress and opportunity for safe progress overlap almost completely. I'm not sure I'd agree (why is Braille so young? How old are canes, seeing as that whole "blind leading the blind" parable only makes sense without them being common, but I'd think that using a big stick to extend one's awareness to be a concept that predates civilization ...' ). Which is to say, it'd take up a whole thread and a thesis or three.)
I think I weighted that poorly. Suffice it to say, there are two separate parts to the social / cultural / worldbuilding situation, and disentangling where one begins and the other ends, and when a failure in the resource-based one is or is not acceptable, is going to lead to lots of differing opinions.
But I do feel like the three biggest downsides to blindness (other than being left out of video games) are people, the increased difficulty accessing books and written data, and being in a world built under the assumption that only people who can drive are considered worth building anything but daycares and prisons for.
One of those is purely people being ignorant and/or needlessly unpleasant. The other two come from practical resource allocation concerns that I'm not sure could have turned out any differently without making life harder unnecessarily for everyone else. Maybe push building car-based infrastructure back a century, but then would the tech that gets around the problems with cars have developed without drivers being able to go basically anywhere at anytime? And a tactile form of writing is outcompeted by ink and paper quite handily, seeing as tactile forms of writing did exist (where are all the blind Cuneiform experts?). If we can posit a world where cars did not reduce accessibility of travel, it's much harder to come up with a way that books could have been accessible between the invention of affordable writing materials and the production of enough resources to make alternatives practical.
Computer accessibility, though ... -_-
I feel like I keep trying to be more balanced, and instead keep coming back to the "how could we expect otherwise without reducing scarcity"; stuff. Presumptive design is far more troublesome on a daily basis. I mean, who thought puting an inaccessible CAPCHA on an email service after decades was a good idea? Someone who read "I'm blind" in my support ticket and took it as meaning "I couldn't read that one, and only that one". ... Ugh, how much clearer could I be? "I'm blind" means "I cannot see", not "lol I that looks weird im so blind roflmao". >.<
(And that is why I stopped answering forum emails. F***ing CAPCHAs.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.