2020-07-10 21:41:45 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-07-10 21:42:49)

Realy!
You say they are easily provoked in to protest?
I don't know. See they didn't really protest when Demonetization was done, when mob violence was taking place due to religious beliefs, When USA revoked the special status that India had in trade, when terrorists from neighbouring country came and ravaged one of the airports, when one of the officers was arrested wrongfully in another country, when 2 of the fishermans were killed by people of another country and god knows many other things.

2020-07-12 16:17:36

@26:
I don't say that they are easily provoked into protest. I am saying that it is very easy for news media and politicians to stoke the wrath of public, whether it'll be for protest, or some other purpose.

Enough about politics. Let's talk about something else!

Remember how I liked the Black Pharoh's (I'll call him that from now on, his other name is a bitch to spell,) character in the Delirium brief? I was right. Immediately when he appeared in the Labyrinth Index after becoming the PM of UK, he showed himself to be a entertaining villain. Though I suppose that some people might be furious at Stross for writing such a character...

Meanwhile, I have started to learn the basics of SQL, and now my mentor is going to taught me the ins and outs of MySQL. But as much as I enjoy learning these things, I can't wait when my time will be my own, and I'll learn whatever the hell I want to, instead of running on a class designed by other person.

I think that even if I did break into the web development, it'll be a hard thing for me to branch off to some other field, still, I'll try my best, because I don't want to be a web developer for life.

2020-07-12 16:30:46

@Dark eagle, The idea of an evil prime minister of the UK is sort of amusing, it was done in doctor who of course, but I sort of like the thought of it being a cthuloid monster, I mean, we've had a few bad pm's but none who were demonic (though I had my doubts about Tony blaire), big_smile.

I hope people in your building are okay there Dark Eagle, since the idea of a corona virus case so close is pretty scary.
Over here, on the one hand we have several scientists warning people to be careful, and a massive push from the government that everyone is to go out, buy cars, and supposedly be "good for the economy", and never mind getting corona.
Actually, the way that the news keeps being full of chief executives of major coorporations who are continually winjing about their stock prices, threatening job cuts, and then seeing the government just do whatever they want is pretty sick, indeed a lot of people are noting just how corrupt the UK government are showing themselves to be.

Nevertheless, one of the few advantages of being a generally unemployed academic attempting to break into writing is I don't need to worry about this and can continue on with protection, especially since the last thing we'd want at this point is for my lady to have recovered from cancer only to get corona virus.

Interestingly enough, zombies run apparently agree with me, since they're continuing their rather awesome home front lockdown missions, and urging everyone to stay in side and not risk getting the corona virus, ----  or indeed the zombie virus big_smile.

Sadly, not a major amount of new stuff to report other than me banging out yet more book reviews, and working on my novella, whilst occasionally playing a bit of home quest, though I do hope everyone else is staying safe.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-12 17:55:03

LOL I know what you guys in India are going through to an extent. The other day when we had a few Trinidadian Fishermen in Venezuelan waters, and Maduro refused to pay for the trip back home, then later our Prime Minister and Maduro would meet to talk about an oil deal nobody protested. The other day when they killed a 2 year old and her father they did nothing. Now 2 boys who attack the police gets shot everybody riots. Sigh. I wwonder if Mexico captured Texan Fishermen and then trump and the Mexican President met to talk about NAFTA and then the US public riotted if the public here would have protested also.
Meh. Nothing new going on. I've started doing a litle bit of personal writing and some game development. Yule get something rather cool soon. smile
Eitherways, this has to be the deadest monthly chat i've ever seen lol.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-12 18:24:32

@Dark:
Actually the cases are increasing in the area where I live in, and there were more cases in my building. Also from what you're saying, looks like UK and US are heading in the same direction. I heard from various sources that schools are being opened in August in US, despite the danger.

You see, when more people were tested in my building, there is a family which refused to be tested. I hope they would get some legal action because of this, because as I've just said, cases are increasing, and something like that is just endangering the people around you, specially when there are elderly people in almost all the homes in my area. One of the family which got infected in my building has a 90 years old man among them, his survival is in question since elderly have very low chances of surviving this virus.

My family noted that considering that I don't go out much, know one would have raised an eyebrow if I was excluded from testing. Yet, we didn't do anything like that, and all four of us were tested.

Also, my prediction is appearing to be true: I said when the lockdown was opening up, that there will be a second wave of the virus, and they'll need to apply the lockdown again. my city is considering this, we'll see what happens on monday.

2020-07-17 11:18:10

my school is opening on oggest 27'th apairintly, and i'm not sure how there gonna do it, your probibly gonna half to ware masks, but i don't no how much people are going to be aloud in 1 classroom,   because normaly, the desks are like rite next to each other, so i don't no.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-07-20 00:48:55

@Dark eagle, yep, things over here are a bit crazy. The latest bit of fun from Jelly fish Jonson (as my lady has dubbed Boris Jonson our prime minister), is that he's said it'll all be back to normal by Christmas.

Just to put this in context for people outside the UK, after the outbreak of the first world war in 1914, the government told the departing troops that "it would all be over by Christmass," and of course, four years, several million deaths and a hole lot of misery later, it was still going!
So speaking of something being "over by Christmas", has sort of a very worrying vibe in the UK (terry Pratchett even references this in monstrous regiment), so for Jonson to claim this is bloody freaky.

he's also been on record telling people that another lockdown is something he views like a nuclear deterrent, something he really hopes not to use, which frankly, according to the advice of the world health organisation and a lot of medical experts over here is a load of absolute bollocks!

Really, you'd think a new father would be a bit more concerned for his Son's health, then again, like all the conservative party he's probably got more than enough cash so that he dosn't have to actually risk anything, much like all those chief execs who keep turning up urging people to go back to work and make money for them whilst they stay safe at home.

What is doubly scary, is that we haven't even hit the probable second wave yet, the predictions are that will start up somewhere around November, this is still the first bloody wave!

of course, I freely admit this week hasn't been easy owing to my lady having a few delayed reaction issues from the cancer news, one reason whyt the db updates are so sparse, and why i haven't dropped into this topic for a while, since there isn't a lot to report. Indeed, oddly enough, I find my gaming desire is going slightly into abeyance, likely because I'm busy with writing my own book reviews and working on original fiction, though i know myself well enough to know this is just a temporary thing and it'll be roaring back soon enough.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-20 03:02:19

hahahahah. Dark, the moment I read that Over by christmas line a giant smile formed on my face.
Seriously, lets hope it isn't a WW1 situation, because I can't bloody deal with going to school with a mask for the remainder of my secondary education.

Speaking of hell, um, ur, uh, I mean um school, the ministry sent out the guidelines for the reopening of school, which, will open on the day of WW2 commencement. September the 1ST. So, apparently, they have arranged to spliit classes into 2 groups.Group A, and group B. So, on monday, group A wiill go to school, while B will stay home and do online work. And the next day group b will be in school. I suspect because of my Sirname, Vincent I'll be put in group B. Which would mean I'll be home from school 3 days a week. Its both annoying and a joy at the same time. I have more free time to do other things, because I suspect ii  should be able to wrap up my work quicly, so more time to do Jaidon stuff. But on the other hand, there is the matter of my mum. I don't even think she'll let me dim the screen. hahah. We'll have to see.
Keeping with school, some of the mandates are bloody ridiculous. and not for the reasons you'd think. Like for example, they mandated the cleaning of the toilets. So, what the bloody flipping hell? It took a pandemic for you beurocratic idiotic retards to know you had to clean the damn toilets? so what the heck were you paying the cleaners to do? Stick their thumbs up their asses all day and let the toilet clean itself? Another mandate is the cutting of grass. I'm sure you know this is a tropical country. Which means mosquitoes are a big neusence here. Their viruses included. So again, it took the pandemic to mandate cutting the grass. Again. Stupidity. Funny thing though, at least, on one side of my school there is no grass, because there was a major bushfire just outside my school, and the fire humouriously enough, stopped about a metre of our school fence in a perfectly straight line, and I'm not making that up. Our class was about a few metres away, so our class, plus a gas line would have gone burny burny burn if it only went a little further.
Now you may say, why Jaidon. You're overreacting. Well I say to you, i'm overreacting because I like clean. I don't like filth. and even before this virus I was a clean person. Hell. I was one of the only few people in my class who would actually wash their hands before eating. Dirty bastards.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-21 11:05:05

lol,   so my school emailed my mom and told her how things are gonna play out, so apairintly, you have 2 choises, you can go to school, or keep taking online classes, and online classes for me are meh, because my mom doesn't really no how to work the tech i use... and i also forgot the therd option, you can go to school for 3 days, and then do online for the rest of the school week. and about the desks they said that each desk is gonna be six feet apart, so i'm wondering how much people are going to be aloud in 1 class room.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-07-21 21:31:34

hmm, who knows about that. 
i'm more than likely doing our northwest school district home school program called launch all the way, because one of my friends had good things to say about it, and plus i've never been home schooledbefore. My mom doesn't want to deal with all of that, and she doesn't want to risk me catching anything.

2020-07-23 17:24:06

I am waiting for my damn bloody graduation certificate, so I can move on. Currently, I feel rather stuck, academically, careerly physically and mentally.
These fools can't even figure out how to go about it, since lots of colleges, including mine, are yet to conduct some of the exams, and that is for the academic year 2019-20.
Reading has helped me somehow, and if I shal say, I am becoming a bit of Julia Quin fan.

2020-07-24 15:16:22

@36:
I am really glad that my university decided to postpone the exams for the first and second years. Not that I cared for them, since it weren't for my mother I would have dropped out from the college, and focused on the programming.

I just really don't trust their messy management to conduct the exams safely for the students. Although the third years did have to give their exams in June, which I argue was much more safer month since cases were still low at that time. (For whatever amount of low is considered low these days.)

in another news, I finished captain's fury, the book four of the codex alera. I out out of the all four books I have read so far, liked this one the best. The main character as well as others along with him, progressed so much in this book.

I'm also planning to read the other works of Charles Stross, mainly the merchant prince,, while I decided to skip his other books since he confirmed that he won't be writing the new ones in their series.

I just hope he finishes the laundry series, I really want to see the ending for these characters.

2020-07-29 10:48:39

Things over here continue rather crazy with us still observing lockdown, though my mum's found us a couple of medical face masks so we might at least try to go out to a cafe at some point in the near future once those turn up.

In general though, I'm worried by the fact nobody seems to bloody know what they're doing. First, The government basically tells everyone that they're establishing holliday destinations to countries like Italy, Greice, France and germany, since you know everyone is now supposed to go and spend money on hollidays and get the economy working, never mind that evidence suggests that in several countries rates are on the increase again and people should! still be being careful.
Then, there's an outbreak in Spain and we have a two week quarantine for just! Spain, whereupon the travel industry throws another hissy fit as per usual!

For goodness sake!

It's all a god aweful mess to be honest. Ironically, the actual lock down when the government was clear on things made a good bit more sense, indeed I almost kind of miss the way things were a few months ago (for a start, with no traffic it was much quieter and the air far cleaner when you did go out).

As to education? I'm sorry for people mixed up in this at the moment, though at least we live in the age of mass communication, imagine how things would've been in the early nineties with net connections being a rarity.

As for me, still basically alternating between Erion, writing, running with the zombies and also reading Duma Kee with Mrs. Dark, which is proving good, if a little sedate in terms of pacing.
I'm also starting season 4 of Game of thrones today, so I'm going to be greated by the wonderful site of Jofri finally choking on his own arrogance big_smile.

Hope everyone else is still doing okay.