2020-07-01 16:34:48

Well, its after 10 AM here and I saw nobody did it, so I thought I'd start the new discussion!

So, this is an eventful month, what with the back to school rush, and me going into form 3, which is pretty important, because I'll have to write my 1ST Caribbeanwide exam. I'll also have to choose what I want to study, for upper school. We're also thinking of going on a family vacation since our last vacation was in 2014, and even though we were away from home, it still wasn't quite ideal. My mum and stepdad's birthdays are this month, so it will also clash with their Bdays. We may go in a beachhouse for a couple days, and cook food and just unwind, and not have to worry about some random person coming in the store yelling, "Toya!" So it'll be fun.

I'm also looking more into python, purebasic and even Pascal. The latter seems to be pretty easy to learn. I'm trying to get resources for the former latter, and well you know google is basically married to python.

In some more grim news, yesterday the Black Lives matter riots came to Trinidad. Stores and shops in the capital had to close their doors before noon. There was apparently a shoot out with police and a pregnant girl was also killed in the bachinaal. It was sparked after police killed 3 black men, however I believe the police were also black. So I don't know what the whole rabble was about. They're justifying George Floyd, but at the end of the day George floyd was in the states. And its not like the cops did what the men did to George. I think the men were resisting and threatened to shoot and the police defended theirselves. In the last topic I remember someone saying that the protesters in the states were criminals and thieves? I more believe that for the rioters here. They straight up shot a bullet into a random building and robbed a truck carrying bread from the factory. Lord I hope this is all over and done with.

Eitherways, on some lighter more positive news Trinidad's economy has been fully reopened, with the minor acception of the border. I bloody hope they keep it closed! At the end of the day we're an island. The only how we can get the virus at this point is if they let in outside influences, which, is how all our 124 cases were recorded. And out of that about 60 of them were on the same ship, and the rest were on scattered cruise ships. The government has taken the decision to quarintine citizens on the ships, because according to some estimates there are about 300K Trinidadians abroad, and we just don't have the capacity to quarintine all of them so the ship is the best option. However people on the ships are threatening to jump off and kill themselves because its stressful. I can understand to an extenet what they're saying, but they also have to understand that the government is taking this very seriously. We can't afford a major break out which will put a straine on the health industry. So, prevention is always better than cure.
Wow. This has been a pretty long post. I hope you guys are well and happy.

Cheers.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-01 16:36:43

i'm first guy that comments in this month chat smile

2020-07-01 17:34:01

I am second who have commented on this month's chat.
Well, that's not the thing I wanted to tell you all.
The thing I wanted to tell you all was a joke,
Guess what?
That joke was forgotten!

2020-07-01 18:32:33

i'm thirred then lol

2020-07-01 18:46:00

My first post on one of these topics!

I just got elected president of my local Lions club. My life is about to get really busy. Other than that, nothing new going on around my area.

2020-07-01 20:10:12

@5, Today must be a day of, well, lions. First Lioden, and now you getting elected as president of your local lions club.
As for me, well I've now found a routine where I can check the forum a bit more. I also have fully started The Last of Us Part 2.
I'm keeping busy in lockdown with theatre workshops, and I'm still doing martial arts and singing lessons. But also doing some singing collabs as well. I recently sung a song from Cats, called Bustopher Jones, which was quite a lot of fun.

2020-07-01 22:11:48

Well, nothing, again. Except exercising/working out, playing tlou 2 and then probably starting on Slay the spire, sleeping, eating and talking to some people via social media. 2 more months till 10th grade! Hope y'all are doing well.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-07-02 00:09:27

gosh. Today I fell asleep and woke up at 3. I lost the entire day. I'll have to work overtime tonight I guess. In fact I feel like just kicking back for the rest of the evening. I already let the day escape me so why cry over spilt barbecue sauce? Well, aside from the fact thaat it leave a stain and a pungent smell, but still.

_____

2020-07-02 09:08:05

I'm still sick.
The antibiotics are finished, and my ear is still ringing and stopped up.
And now the urgent care I originally visited is a Covid testing site, so I don't want to go back if I can help it. This has been going on since May 31!
But I'm taking different allergy meds, and keeping myself entertained.
I found Lioden, and I went back to Furry Paws again.
Also reading, and playing AarchonMud right now.
Hoping for healthier days ahead, and I hope you are all well and having fun.

2020-07-02 16:16:21

@Mirage, I hope you get better soon.

Reporting back with some dark news, remember yesterday when I said that there were riots in the capital yesterday? Well, apparently it was organised by a fascist group, to destabilise the country, and possibly seize power. I'm not sure about the coo thing, but I'm sure it was meant to destabilise the country. Eitherways, police have already arrested 72 people in connection with the riots, and may get charged for riotting, terrorism and possibly treason. Fortunately I'm pretty sure its less likely for protests to spark up where I live because folks in the south are different than northerners. Besides. They tried in San Fernando, but the riot didn't gain much traction, being put down. Only god knows what will happen to this country, but even though I may have my criticisms and y dream to move to ither Canada or Germany, this will still always be my home. And I'd hate for it to end up like Spain. Who knows? Maybe we may get a Fascist leader who wants to reunite the West Indian Federations, or all Caribbean Peoples. Never can tell.

_____

2020-07-03 11:19:17

Haven't posted in one of those for a while but well, let's see what comes out.
I was pretty bussy the last month, me and my wife had to move all of our stuff to my parent's home since it's going to be easier for us to learn how to take care of a child if we have someone living with us. Since we were staying in a rented appartment and the rent was pretty high the best option was to move out of there for good. Next week my lady will have a caesarean, let's hope everything goes to plan. If it does, I will have a baby girl, I can't tell you how happy and relieved I am that this will be finally over. Pregnancy was not a fun part neither for my lady nor for me since she felt sick most days, her legs were swelling so I had to do all the work in the house smile not that I mind but it was a lot to do and I feel exhausted. On a sad note, the hospital staff wont let me join her for the intervention because coronavirus precaution so I will be home sleeping as much as I can since I feel it's going to be the last time in a while. Believe me, everyone I asked told me horrific stories since their child was under 1 years old. Waking up every one or two hours, regular nap changes, etc, I can't wait to not sleep for almost an year smile
On another note, covid19 cases seem to be rising here in Romania, some of the restriction measures are on hold for a while. The hospitals are filling to the capacity again and I fear we are aproaching a second wave due to the stupid people running to the beaches in tens of thousands and forgetting about the most elementary precautions, and people that think that if you can move freely you don't need to practice social distancing and wear a mask in public places anymore.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-07-03 22:21:40

Okay, gonna stay away from politics.

I finished the Nightmare Stacks, and well, it was interesting to read how the military of UK might respond to extra dimensional invasion. (Mainly, all the government agencies moved slowly, outsourcing the communications to India, (A bad idea I say, as an Indian myself!) and slowly weakening army...)

At first, I thought that I would be able to resist the allure of the Delirium Brief, but I was wrong. The book picked up from where the Nightmare Stacks left, and the first character Bob Howard is back.

Aside from that, I am mostly grumbling about how if I lived in a perfect world, I wouldn't have to worry about getting a job, and as a result, programming would have been something which I would do it in my time, and within the language of my choosing, instead of getting harked on by someone who is teaching me a language which I won't use outside of the corpret environment, ever.

Alas, we don't live in a perfect world.

2020-07-04 15:56:35

Hi all. This is my first time posting in one of these topics. I think? Can’t remember. Anyways, I have seem to be getting a cold. But that’s not the most important but my birthday is in about 25 days from now. I can’t wait. I might get a new laptop for my birthday. Yay for me.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-07-04 19:18:18

I  just realised that I posted this on the 2 year annerversary of me joining the forums. Wow.

_____

2020-07-05 20:06:02 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-07-05 20:07:07)

@Gaki_shonen: Can you explain your username please. I am asking because it sounds familiar to me from an anime I watch.

2020-07-05 20:49:17

It comes from the bK series. Gaki-shonen = bully boys

_____

2020-07-05 22:36:42

his signature really scares me

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-07-06 08:56:12

Oh!
I thought it's somehow related to Detective Conan anime. There's a weekly magazine called Shonan I think.

2020-07-06 09:11:29

On my second round of antibiotics, and my July Fourth plans got messed up thanks to Covid.
July Fourth is not only my favorite holiday, it's my favorite day of the year, so really bummed about that.
But there have to be better days ahead.

2020-07-06 12:20:06

Hey all!
I am not doing much this month.
I got my server upgrades finally done. I have 2 1 TB drives in Rade 1, so one mirrors the other one. This effectively meaning if one drive fails, I shouldn't lose any data because that drive also has that data.
My D: Drive is 2 4 TB drives that are not in Rade, so backing up my stuff is a very, very good idea.
In other news, my birthday was on the 28th of June. I got a new computer for it.
Dell XPS 8500. 24 GB RAM, I7 3770 at 3.4 GHZ, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD for data storage.
Does anyone know how to check if you're RAM is DDR3, DDR4, etc. on Windows 10? Doesn't show up in msinfo32.
I hope everyone is doing well!

2020-07-06 12:51:56

hi all! well, not so much here, school is really wanting to do the normil exams, not cairing about covid, wish my self good luck! big_smile

2020-07-06 13:12:30

Wow, I think this is the first month I'm so late posting in one of these topics.

@Mastodont, congrats on the new arrival, and I hope Lady Mastodont is okay, ----w well not lady mastodont, not that I'm implying that she's in any way elephantine, but either way I hope both she and your little girl are alright, and that you do indeed get some sleep at some point big_smile.

@Mirage, sorry to hear about the illness, especially now, hope the antibiotics work.

@Jayjay, wow the riots over here have been a bit nuts in some places, but that sounds positively crazy! what I'm concerned with over here is that as things open up, people aren't exactly being careful with lockdown, that combined with people going on protests doesn't sound good for social distancing. I really hope we're not going to see a second spate of infections from this, but I am worried we are.

so again, it's still lockdown time over here, with me continuing game of thrones, as well as working on a pretty major fantasy/fairy tale novella. I've started contacting author's agents, but no luck so far, actually it's quite irritating that so many agents and people in the publishing industry are specifying "voices of minorities", and then don't consider blind people to be one.

Indeed, at one time I did have a plan to write a weekly column for tor.com, but they don't even reply, I suspect because I have a y chromosome, given how  stupidly partisan so many of the columns posted on their website are, and how outright hate filled some of the stuff posted there has been.

I have looked at self publishing, but you need to be far better at self-promotion and have a more major online social media presence than I have to make that work, especially if you want to break in to actual publishing, so finding an agent is a good idea, that and continuing writing, obviously.

Gaming wise, I've checked out a few things like Lioden, and home quest on ios, plus a bit of slay the spire, I'd also like to get back to Erion, and perhaps play some of the cog/hg titles, though at the moment writing is definitely coming first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-07-07 20:05:19

To be honest guys, riots are nothing new for me. I remember as far as I can, seeing news about this or that riot going on one or another part of the country, from my childhood to even now.

Well, there aren't any current riots going on, but there were few in January when "almighty" Trump visited India.

One thing which I'll note though, that Indians are seeming to me at least, losing the right of protest. Specially since the new party came into power. But then again, take it with a grain of salt, I'm not exactly a politically savvy person.

Also, Corona officially has arrived in the apartment building where I live in. Today, there was a positive case on the top floor of the building.

This just gives me more reasons to not get out of the house. That, and few of the time I did go out, I war a mask. Which for whatever reason, I enjoy doing.

I am in the middle of the delirium brief, and so far I have come into the conclusion that whatever way Charles decides to end this series, it won't be pretty. Also, I think the guy needs some more happy moments in his life,  that is exactly why I tell to my father every now and then that he should turn off the news. (I also get tired of people screaming at the top of their lungs in the name of debate, and wish for some peace from that circus.)

2020-07-09 08:59:34

Right to protest is certainly being shown in it's full form when they talk about Chinese goods though.

2020-07-09 15:59:53

@24:
You should note that it is very easy to get riled up when it is entirely a different country.

Besides, your question caused me to think, and I arrived on a answer that it doesn't matter whether it is some other country or not. Indian public is very easy to rile up.

I also arrived on another conclusion, but I'll leave it up to you to decide for yourself what it can be, because I don't feel nice sharing it over the internet.

I finished the delirium brief, and man the UK in that world is headed for some fucked up situations in the future, since the secret agency has to make a deal with niarlathetep (I hope I am spelling it correctly,) because otherwise the country would have been taken by the sleeper...

Also, I must say that he is very enjoyable to read as a villain, kind of reminds me of Hazama of the BlazBlue. Mostly, Charles doesn't right such memorable villains, they don't last longer than a book anyway, but he is different.