2020-07-06 20:31:34

Everyone here is saying that they haven't been able to play Magic before. I've been playing Magic for over 2 years. I just put braille on all the card sleeves, it's as simple as that. If anyone has any questions at all about Magic, hit me up on Twitter, I religiously play this game. That being said, this game looks pretty cool. I wonder if there are any plans for online play, otherwise that takes most of the fun out of playing Magic, IMO. I exclusively play Commander, because it's more casual, beginner friendly, and there's so much more variety. Thank you for working on this smile

2020-07-06 21:57:21

Ross,

There is basic online play, but it's very much not the main focus of this particular app. That being said, there's another open source program called XMage, which is intended exclusively for online. Sadly it isn't accessible at the moment but if the developers can't be convinced to work on accessibility for it, I might give it a try myself. XMage supports Commander and all the other big formats, but then again so does this app, albeit mostly with AI opponents.

2020-07-07 00:32:06

Yeah, that makes sense about Forge. Interesting about XMage though. Maybe I'll email them and see what they say.

2020-07-07 01:51:45

@ross
It's very hard to get mtg cards in some location, e. Iran, where i live, Sadly online play is all we have
I'm playing  forge a lot these days thanks to zack.
I gree with you about online.
I think it would be great if we could have forge and xmage both accessible since online play is  very exciting. Forge has the superior AI but xmage has a very good online lobby settings so you could restrict it to certain rules and such
Good news about xmage is that  everything is accessible about it except seeing the actual cards You could  easily set up lobbies and such.
If we manage to find java developers to help us  improve xmage, that would be awesome
I know that people like ross have a bigger audience on twitter/youtube etc, so if you can ask for help from developers to put that final fix on xmage that would be amazing.
MEanwhile though, I'm  just getting familiar with magic on forge and it is very awesome!

"I don't see how having a guide horse will affect my neighbors."
twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-07-07 02:37:25

Yeah. Any help that folks can provide in terms of XMage or Forge would be gratefully received. I figure it's more likely that one or more of these apps becomes accessible than WoTC adds accessibility to their own online offerings smile

2020-07-16 18:23:21

Hey all,

I just wanted to drop a quick update on where things stand. At the moment the game accessibility is still being improved, albeit at a somewhat slower rate due to real-life worries and work. My latest efforts have been adding names to some components in the UI which lack them, such as the "start," button on the game creation screens, and the tables in the deck chooser. I've also been adding some controls to the tab sequence to make navigation of the app a little more fluid. At the moment the card details text field is tabbable, which makes it much easier to tell what a given card does.

I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to work on the game log and displaying card stats and such in a simpler fashion. These are the two big areas which still need a little improvement.

I've realized that I generally prefer offering live demos to pre-recording them, so have to apologize again for not having one ready. My friend Hadi has offered to do one at some point in the near future, and as always if anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up on here or on Skype or where ever.

2020-07-16 23:41:49

yeah, Live demo coming up soon. It would help if i knew mtg, but i'll just mess around and  it'll be fine lol

2020-07-16 23:47:52 (edited by zkline 2020-07-16 23:48:34)

Sadly, I'm afraid I don't know much about the game either, at least not compared to some people who have been playing it for years.

2020-07-17 12:52:38

But, when the game will be playable with out objective nawigation?

meow meow.

2020-07-17 18:52:47

PatrykK,

I am working on trying to minimize the need to use object navigation. It's a slow process. My point is just because an app requires you to use it doesn't mean the app is unusable.

2020-07-20 08:02:53

Wow!, Great work zcline! I recently downloaded the game and will check it out now. It sounds really interesting.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2020-07-20 20:17:15

Hi all guys! So, I'm trying this game but, despite the numerous panes and the fact that I can, somewhat, start a game, for me it's really impossible navigate the interface; I can not find the game's settings and other stuf using the nvda navigation commands or the mouse commands in this screen reader. I reallyy would like playing at least a match just to understand if this game is for me but, really, I can't do anything; sorry! I'll have to delete this game if I can't iven figure how it's made and how to select, at least, the cards to play! No keystroke seems working in my case! Could you help me, please? Thanks!

Claudio

2020-07-20 20:36:51

claudiogaranzini wrote:

Hi all guys! So, I'm trying this game but, despite the numerous panes and the fact that I can, somewhat, start a game, for me it's really impossible navigate the interface; I can not find the game's settings and other stuf using the nvda navigation commands or the mouse commands in this screen reader. I reallyy would like playing at least a match just to understand if this game is for me but, really, I can't do anything; sorry! I'll have to delete this game if I can't iven figure how it's made and how to select, at least, the cards to play! No keystroke seems working in my case! Could you help me, please? Thanks!

please hold tight, i'll get a recording up soon, today

2020-07-25 09:39:56

Thank you so much for doing this! I am dieing to play some MTG again.

trying to play the game, I have to say I am quite frustrated. I've tried playing a game and cant figure out how to do the basic things I need. Like for example I am on my turn 2 and played my second mountain. I have a creature in hand with cost listed as {2} {R}. So I tap my two mountains and then click on the creature. a sort of dialogue comes up askkng to pay mana cost. well I have two tapped red in my pool. there is an auto button and a cancel button.

I try clicking the auto button. nothing happens.

I navigagte all the way to my list of manas. I notice that when i click that it decrements my mana, so i click my 2 red mana twice so it goes to zero.... still nothing.

very frustrating...

could someone please do a live recording of them playing the game and saying how the basics of the UI work, cause figuring them out isa puzzle game on its own. not a game I am interested in.

also in term sof making the UI more accessible, why not use Tolk? it would be really nice to get screen reader output when things happen, especially things in the log, cause I sure as heck dont like having to navigate to it everytime something happens.

Also does GC work for anyone whose resolution isnt 1920 x 1080? for me it seems to not work.

2020-07-25 11:53:41

You were on the right track.  You just misunderstood the mana cost.  A cost of 2R means it costs three mana.  2 Mana of any colour plus 1 Red Mana.  A 2 red mana cost would be indicated as (R)(R).

If the creature could b summoned, clicking on the auto button would have automatically tapped all the necessary mana.

2020-07-25 14:59:35 (edited by Dragonlee 2020-07-25 15:01:56)

@90 ah, okay. makes sense. thanks for that! I will give it a try at some point. would really help if someone could give a walkthrough for how to navigate the UI easily. GC positions dont seem to work for me.  I guess without them playing the game is very tedious. but thanks to OP for all the hard work on making this more accessible. wish game developers were aware of blind gamers and would consider us from day 1, which would make creating accessible UIs much easier

2020-09-02 23:08:04

Hi there, so I'm super excited that someone's working on an accessible version of MTG since I've wanted to play it for quite some time, and can't find anyone local to teach me. I have a few problems with the client though. I've downloaded the latest snapshot plus the preferences file, also I've put the preferences folder in the right appdata location. The file seems to be working on the surface because the game music doesn't play anymore upon launch, but it's navigating that I find a problem with. I try to use nvda+numpad 4 or numpad 6 to navigate, but it always tells me there are no objects. This is on the initial screen, where you can start games and such. I can't seem to find any way to navigate the screen, and when i nvda+numpad 8 to go to the containing object, I can get to the forge window, and I can get to the level where I have that window plus all my other running apps, but when I dive back into forge itself with nvda+2, I can only seem to find a system menu, and another object that says forge, but I can't navigate inside that object. I've tried this several times, making sure forge is maximized each time and still no luck. I admit I'm a bit of a novice at object navigation, so any help would be appreciated, I'd really love to play this.

2020-09-03 07:12:36

Hey,

It has been a little while since I looked at this, but I wonder what happens when you tab around the Forge window? IT sounds like the Java access bridge, which is required for this app to work, isn't enabled.

To fix this, you need to go into your Java installation, which is usually c:\program files (x86)\oracle\java, or something along those lines, and you need to find the bin directory. Inside that will be a file named jabswitch.exe. You need to open that directory in a command prompt, and run jabswitch.exe, like this.

jab switch /enable.

It sounds difficult,but its' the kind of thing that should only be required once.

IF you do that and it says that the Java access bridge has been enabled, the app should hopefully start speaking a bit more.

I hope this helps, and that you can figure it out. It's a delightful game.

2020-09-03 11:03:47

HI!
Seeing this topic being revived, I decided to check back post 1, since I've always wanted to try this game. Unfortunatly the link from post 1 doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Is that temporary ?

Best regard,
Simon

2020-09-03 11:10:09

You can turn on accesbridge also from control panel.

2020-09-03 14:53:46

hi.
can you please give me the link to install the required version of java for 64bit sistems?
thanks in advance for upcoming help

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2020-09-04 15:00:41

Hi, just wanted to drop by and say that was the issue, I didn't have access bridge enabled, and when I got it enabled, everything started working, I just wanted to say thank you for the help, and I'm enjoying this game very much! smile

2020-10-06 07:12:59

Hi.
First of all, congratulations and thanks a lot for this effort. I have managed to understand most of the UI and even got to win a couple matches with pre-constructed decks. My current issue is that I don't know how to activate card abilities that require you to pay and/or tap. For example, Mistform Dreamer has the ability to become any creature type when you pay 2, how can I activate it?

2020-10-06 07:58:41

also will a live demo ever come out?

2020-10-07 00:18:47

guys. please, look into post 97 for my question

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.