2020-02-01 00:11:22 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2020-02-01 00:11:47)

https://youtu.be/namIi4v_KSY

2020-02-01 01:35:32

Call me whatever ya like, but I couldn't stomach more than 30 seconds of that.  I think I'm too used to trailers being cinematic enough on their own to require that much level of description.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-01 01:47:16

@Nocturnus hahaha, are you serious? You think this is too much? Have you heard Miles Nath describe anything? He describes things in ultra, and I mean ultra detail that makes this one look tame.
In all seriousness, I like this a lot.

2020-02-01 02:00:31

yeah without the audio description it would not be cinematic in any way at all, would just be some music..

2020-02-01 02:36:58

And that would be enough to turn me off the game entirely.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-01 03:35:22 (edited by keyIsFull 2020-02-01 03:37:06)

I think nocturnus hoped there would be more flashy sound effects and production elements in this game. It is standard to have those in trailers to get the blood up. These are a lot more sedate, which makes this seemlike a peaceful trailer at least of rhte minute or so I listened to of it.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2020-02-01 04:29:46

Wow, I think I like the idea, but that brief trailer seemed a little underwhelming, and not very thrilling. At the end I was like, that's it? I'd like to see someone try to take a stab at the trailer for wind waker for gamecube. That one is special, since it is one of the rare instances outside of the awful cartoon and Philip's games that we actually get to hear Zelda talk. Also audio described game trailers might mean a little more if I knew that it was for a game I knew I could play. As much as people like to harp on the music for the trailer for mk11, it almost succeeds for that very reason, if you take the time to listen to the lyrics.

2020-02-01 05:25:05

Precisely.  BTW, that's just my personal preference.  Like I said in 2, call me an elitist or whatever you want, but that's what I'm used to, and that probably has to do with me having been born in the late 80's.

2020-02-01 05:30:55

Alright, went back and actually listened to the whole thing because I obviously can, but I still don't like it.  It just made me side with @Kenshira and post 7 all that much more.  It's obvious by the amount of narration that went into the desc that I could never play it, regardless how much of a masterpiece it is.

2020-02-01 05:34:37

Hi.

Personally I like the trailer and don't really get why everyone is so against it.
Yes, it doesn't have flashy effects and base drops every 15 seconds because that's apparently what's cool these days, but this might not be the way to go for every game.
i like it and the game sounds cool, problem is though that it probably won't be accessible.

BTW at Aaron, who is Miles Nath, never heard that name before and what does he describe?

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-01 05:39:50

Hi,
Miles described Scott Pilgrim Versus The World, Incredible Hulk US description, and the first six Star Wars movies.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2020-02-01 05:52:17

Hi.

Ah that guy you mean. Lol I have to see how much he describes, did seam quite normal to me, but will check out *Thinks about creating a topic regarding favorite and least favorite audio describers*

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-01 06:10:51

To be fair, this trailer is suffering from a couple of things:
It's a teaser trailer for a teaser trailer for a teaser trailer for the main trailer for a game that we know next to bugger all about, so never trust a trailer applies here big time.
Like a bunch of  audio-described content, it also suffers from the issue of the original audio  track being waaaaaaay too far down in the mix compared to the descriptive vocal track.
Sound effects are in the original trailer, but the audio-described mix buries them.
The volume issue is a deal breaker for me when it comes to audio-described content, it almost seems like it is designed for users of headphones and I already wear those enough as it is. Give me a good  surround mix any day, I can usually pull out enough detail from something like that to follow most things.
Anyway... No I have never seen an audio described game trailer done by the studio before so this is cool, even if it is just a hype generator.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2020-02-01 06:34:37

I guess my problem with this trailer is that there is little to no story, nor any indication of what actual gameplay us like. It's about as fun as watching a tree grow.

I didn't really like the audio description of scott pilgrim vs the world either. The guy seems way too excited about the action, and is probably a newbie to video games. For example, when scott attacks an enemy, the numbers being shown isnt the score he gets for his attack, its how much damage he is doing to his enemy's hp. For reference, I watched the movie on netflix, so dont know if there are more than 1 descriptions.

2020-02-01 12:03:49

Hmm so I just now watched the trailler. It wasn't so bad. Actually, what I am wondering is the reason for this. I don't think that they would have released an audio described trailler just like that without any reason. Maybe there is a possibility that we might get to play this game after all. It's just a speculation though, so we might need to wait and watch.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2020-02-01 14:09:39 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2020-02-01 14:09:56)

OK Kenshiro and Nocturnus -

This is a reveal trailer. They're often vague. The purpose is to just give a bit of a sense of what the feel of the game is. Nothing at all is known about the gameplay yet, other than that it "offers new ways to play in a magical natural world".

A thrilling blood pumping trailer would be very inappropriate. From the visuals it is a very soft beautiful calm world, presumably the gameplay is not going to be frantic rocket jumping first person shooter action.

If you don't like the idea of that, that's cool, no game is liked by everyone.

But this thread isn't about what the game is like, or about whether the concept of reveal trailers is a good thing.

The thread is about a major game studio releasing an audio-described trailer. As far as I'm aware that has never happened before in the entire history of the industry, if that's indeed true that makes this a really significant and important leap forwards.

2020-02-01 14:45:40

Lol I did say that I liked the idea? Whether or not the game is my thing doesn't change that at all.

2020-02-01 14:49:13

Hi,
@Ianhamilton, I'm sory the first things you had to read were those messages. What? A game without any gunfight ? NO blood, no apparent violence, not even obvious and understandable spellcasting? What's wrong with this world? I tend to say nothing men, this is far more beautiful than most of the games you're used to, that's it.
The soundtrack looks particularly good, and the idea, mysterious and poetic, with some darker shades looks quite promissing. But most of all, this is potentially an audiodescribed game, that's clearly a major step forward. If "what remains of Eddith Finch" had been audiodescribed, it would have been playable, entierly. And no, there's not gun is this game either, sory about that, this is about imagination, fear of death, and love too... we don't kill anyone on a side scroller map...
Thanks for showing us this ! One question though, I'm afraid I know the answer but  ... Do you have any info regarding the possibility of having this game described ? Is this trailer a demonstration of what could be done, or the sign of a studio who wants to build its all game this way ?

Best regard,
Simon

2020-02-01 14:51:13

We know almost nothing about gameplay thus far. That's fine. The game's atmosphere sounds more sedate, puzzle-adventure/RPG more than, like, run and gun. I don't mind the sedate nature of things, and I actually think the description is pretty good. A wee bit wordy, but for a first mainstream effort this is by no means bad.

Here is my only concern though.
If this is a game that has absolutely no hope in hell of being played by us, then making an accessible trailer feels...well, a bit of a wasted shot, so to speak. Basically, why make an accessible trailer if the game it's teasingisn't playable for us?
That said, I reiterate my first statement. We have no idea at all what this game will be about. At this point, I'd rather believe that the studio wants to try and make this accessible, and is not doing this in order to drum up support it doesn't otherwise deserve. After all, if in five months or a year or whatever, the game turns out to be utterly unplayable and unreachable for us, it's going to feel like a bit of a hollow gesture if they described this trailer without any intent to work us into the target audience.
So yeah. I'm hopeful, but I'll just wait and see.

As far as the overall mix and stuff goes, it doesn't actually sound like there was a ton of sound, and it didn't sound central to anything, so again, I didn't mind how this was done. Could it improve? Well sure, but that's true of most trailers out there, visual or otherwise. I've also heard some ferociously bad audiogame trailers over the years, so there's that. This one felt slick and professional, which I'm going to take for now as a somewhat encouraging sign.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-01 14:58:32

I'm not overly optimistic right now as I know the mainstream gaming scene is moving in baby baby steps. That being said. Cool to see an audio described trailer for a game. Hopefully the trend continues.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2020-02-01 15:24:44

Hi there Ian, no, I've never seen a big game studio release an audio described game trailor and I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Judging from what I'm able to gather from the atmosphere of the trailor, this isn't going to be one of those kill everything that moves kinds of games, and I'm also cautiously optimistic that this game might even have some accessibility built in. And the reason I say that is because Rare is owned by Microsoft. So if they're owned by Microsoft, at least to me, it would stand to reason that they'd build in accessibility into the game. Of course anyone who knows more about this sort of thing can feel very free to correct me if I'm wrong. This is exciting and I'll be keeping my ears open for more information about everwild by Rare. Thank you sir for sharing this with us, and to me this is a wonderful leap forward. It shows me that we're making headway finally.

2020-02-01 15:30:01

Agree with Liam here.  The gaming indestry is like a turtle walking when it comes to gaming accessibility, but I do like the trailor.  It is well done, and I could see myself getting behind a game like this.  If this company made their game extreamly accessible, it would be the first of its kind.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2020-02-01 16:53:12

You know what?  Scrap everything I said.  I mean, I'm not going to remove my posts because that would be an act of cowardice and looking like I'm pretending to have had nothing negative to say, but seriously, just, forget everything I said.  I don't know if I was just super irritated yesterday or something else came over me.  I know that there was a ton going on from my wife not feeling good to my kids acting up more than usual, so coming on here probably wasn't the best thing I could have done.  Regardless, I'm sorry for throwing flames on this one as early as I did... I shouldn't have pulled the trigger so quickly and ignored the actual question and overall idea.  It is a good one, no matter how I otherwise might feel about the trailer or even the game.  A fair assessment of the latter is currently impossible obviously as many others have said given the trailer does not communicate anything about mechanics or achievements or anything else, but otherwise it is actually a great concept.

2020-02-01 16:58:04

I would be all behind this if I knew that this would be playable. I do have a lot of respect for Rare for their previous efforts. Otherwise, it is kinda like dangling a carrot to satisfy some standards, but progress is undeniable, so I am thankful for that much.

2020-02-01 17:38:36

Honestly I am ashamed of myself.  If any company would have a chance in a million at releasing a title that would be even somewhat accessible to blind people it would be rare.  How I could have failed to recognize this off the bat and said everything I said is beyond me.  I mean, they only made my favorite game of all time...  *Tears up*