2019-10-24 19:39:32

Hi guys.
Thanks for submitting all those issues on on GitHub. Just know that I'm reading all of them, and working on as much as I can (a long with the others)

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-10-26 23:17:20 (edited by defender 2019-10-27 00:33:02)

@Ethin
Your starting to do it again, and so I wanted to let you know before it explodes in your face once more.
It's been really good for the last few months for the most part, maybe the longest so far, but when ever code or system administration type stuff comes up, it brings out the worst in you.

Statements like "that is not how geometry works and even your local math teacher will agree", attacking someone who (while potentially misguided)  has A. not used such wording towards you, B. Is doing the community a service with their work far more than they may be hurting anyone with this comparatively minor sounding issue, and C. Implies that this person is stupid even though they live in another part of the world where this may be taught differently and therefore from their perspective they are correct.
That isn't how you get your point across or teach someone, and if you can't be patient (which I do understand) than it would be best not to post until you can be.

Then we have Post 74 which if you look at the responses to the issue before it, takes things from 30MPH to 80MPH for no good reason.

You started out pretty good with how you were explaining things, but then you got frustrated, and you let it get the better of you.  You probably know as well as I that if your going to be working in the tech field in any capacity, than weather you work a remote job or not your almost certainly going to be working on a team for at least a while.  So you'll need to have to work on your communication skills (particularly in text,) if you don't want to give people the wrong message and paint your self in a bad light.

2019-10-26 23:29:12 (edited by Ethin 2019-10-26 23:30:59)

@102, I know, its just incredibly irritating; I've explained both systems countless times and I'm getting irritated that no one is actually paying attention (or seeming to, at any rate) who is working on the project, other than a few people like X0. It may or may not be a minor or major problem but its confusing people who are used to the cardinal directions system and this engine is messing it up.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-10-27 00:43:50 (edited by defender 2019-10-27 03:27:43)

I understand, however it seems as though your making the mistake of seeing the entire group of people working on this project as one person rather than a dynamic set of individuals when it comes to this issue.  Keep in mind that they are trying to understand and fix it rather than doubling down, that many of them have school or jobs keeping them busy, and that, while this engine may be confusing people, it at least exists in the first place to do so.
Maybe you need better more in depth examples, or maybe you need to just do it your self, since this is after all a community run project, but most of all, think about how important this truly is in the grand scheme of things and if it's worth getting fired up over.  It's not as if this one thing is going to corrupt all who have to adapt to it's quirks to the point that they will be unable to use more standardized systems, it would just be nice if it was improved at some point to optimize the user experience.
As long as people can understand it well enough to make use of it with explanation, that's the main thing.
And again, don't forget that they could have simply learned it differently or not gotten to that point in their schooling yet, meaning that technically, they are just as correct as you, but the common implementation here is different.
After all, the words math and maths, or "Z" and "Zed", mean the same thing and convey the same concept, even if one has an extra letter and isn't widely known in the US/Canada.

2019-10-27 02:11:04

@defender I agree he was a bit fiery but he does have a legit point. It does matter a great deal.
In the cartesian system you have north at 0 dg, east at 90, south at 180 and west at 270, and the angles go clockwise as you can probably imagine.
But in the unit circle system, you have east at 0 degrees, then you go counter clockwise to north at 90, west at 180 and soth at 270. This is because of the way the vectors work out. Since the x component of a vector is r*cosine theta, the y component is r*sine theta, and the unit circle has a radius of 1 unit, the vector of length 1 and at angle 0 degrees is at coordinates (1, 0) which is to the east on a coordinate plane. And for anyone doing newtonian physics, this is standard. It's also the conventional way to handle 3d coordinate space physics, because you can just extend the vectors to a third component. In the cartesian system, there isn't really a possibility of a third component without a lot of mathematical acrobatics and people wouldn't understand what was going on anyway.
ANd by the way this is also why in swamp, facing 0 degrees is east, because Aprone is using vector physics there. It's probably prudent to only use the cartesian system when reporting directions to the player, as in leave all the calculations in the unit circle system so that you and others can understand the calculations later when they try and actually picture the way the vectors are facing, because yes it does work out.
I find this explanation a lot more understandable than the idea of right and left handed coordinate systems, because Ethin didn't really explain about how you convert the angle into the coordinates which was a big confuser for me when I tried to read it, and I even knew the material.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-10-27 02:37:30

@105, I didn't explain that bcause I don't know how to do that (yet anyway). I just explained what I knew.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-10-27 03:21:03

Hi.
We are accepting pull requests, in fact I think someone is already working on a combined rotational system that should work for both OpenAL and BASS.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-10-27 17:03:48

hi all, why i got this error while trying to use this file:
examples/demo1/main.py
  File "C:\Python37\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 374, in __getitem__
    func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: function 'alcGetStringiSOFT' not found
also thanks a lot about this engine , it is so awesome.

----------
Best regards,
Hamad.

2019-10-29 09:37:37 (edited by kianoosh 2019-10-29 09:37:53)

Hamad, you need to get the latest openalsoft dll files and put them next to that example. Make sure it's openalsoft though because openal itself won't work

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-10-29 09:45:57

at post 103 Our team has been discussing over the issues/pull requests/comments that you guys send on github or in here, to choose the best solution out of the current existing ones. We're not actually sitting there and doing nothing. If we were to add anything everyone suggests right a way, the engine would be nothing but a very big mess, that optimizing it later on would be a pain. in fact fixing the rotation system is on top of the list of our to-dos and we're now discussing around the point to figure what way would it be the best to handle it, to be able to keep it compatible with other stuff, keep it easy to use and easy to understand while providing a working solution to handle the rotational terms in games

---

2019-11-01 09:44:24

Hi there, i saw that the engine hasn't been updated for a while, but that doesn't bother me that much. i have a question:
How is the openal bindings going on so far? do you think that it would be possible for the openal binddings to work? i am quite looking forward to see the openal binddings in action that is the only reason i am asking. thanks

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-11-01 11:05:20

IMO, the rotation stuff should be lowest priority. Generally speaking, you either want a complete, pro-quality library, or to be able to do it yourself, if you actually need that functionality. It's the more basic stuff I'd worry about; give a very solid foundation to build on, then users can contribute to the higher level stuff.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-11-01 14:25:16

our initial thoughts about the rotation system, was that we would use what was specific to the backend in question.
So if you used bass you would use their way of doing coordinates and if you used openal you would use theirs.

2019-11-01 19:31:01

It would however be more consistent to decide upon one specific coordinate system you want to use throughout your entire library and convert those coordinates wherever necessary. If you provide multiple backend possibilities, those should be exchangeable on the fly, by changing a single code line if possible, that would be impossible if all users had to change the entire coordinate system themselves though.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-11-08 11:59:44

Hi all, i just wanted to say that lucia has been updated yesterday and we now only use the rotation system found in BGT. just for those who didn't check!

best regards

2019-11-08 14:37:36

Yeah. As @115 said, we are in the process of changing the rotational system.
For now the changes are only available on GitHub, so if you want to check it out, you'll need to clone and install the master branch.

2019-11-08 15:01:12

Did bgt even have a rotation system? If so, can you elaborate?

2019-11-08 15:22:40

Yes, BGT did have a rotation system, on samtupy's site... samtupy.com check at his code, i can't remember the link...

best regards

2019-11-08 15:45:34

hello
wow! great!

2019-11-08 18:24:48

I hope that the rotation system is "accurate" and not just a bunch of incorrect formulas. I know, I'm getting pushy, but rotational systems are tricky, and if you incorrectly just slap in code you break other componenets like sound libs.

My Github

2019-11-08 20:46:05

hi @Ethin
I understand your concerns.
But as I said before, we accept prs, so if you want to help out feel free.
Due to some real life circumstances that has come up the last month or so, I haven't had the energy to code on lucia as much as I would like.

2019-11-08 21:47:11

Hi @120, i tested it and it seems fine. i meen the sound lib is not broken, it works fine like the way it should work in BGT basicly. as for the formulaes i am not sure, since i am not good at math... i don't care much about that. as long as it just works, it is fine with me.

best regards

2019-11-10 13:00:56 (edited by kianoosh 2019-11-10 13:01:44)

Hi. We're using the popular way of handling rotation system between the audio game development community. If, however, anyone here thinks that they can help with the correct formulas, feel free to make a pull request or two. If no one's willing to aid us with that, then we're using these set of formulas as long as they work with the libraries we use in lucia. BTW. The move function now supports vertical movement correctly. Like if you face straight up you will go to 0 0 1 rather than 0 1 1. I know We mentioned this before, but I only wanted to assure You that the fact that we returned to the old way of handling rotation system doesn't mean things are still broken that much smile

---

2019-11-10 14:33:25

well it all works for me, and i like it. keep up the good work!

best regards

2019-11-10 16:06:04

Cool. Going to update and re-do my mathematical functions.