2019-09-19 23:04:21

I'm agreeing with 15 and 17 on this one. Nice work with the site and keeping it up, but if you're not going to be around, then let someone who is helpout.

2019-09-20 08:30:25 (edited by omer 2019-09-20 09:35:08)

who ever said shmuk, go fucking create your  own shit if your willing to do that
i dont care if i get a warning for this but, that guy deserves it
someone is previding you a free service without cost or anything and your calling them shmuk
you whining kid
yes, they maybe dont update the website do to issues they are having, but that never makes them a shmuk or what ever shit that is

2019-09-20 11:52:24

Any progress with getting more admins?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-09-20 21:47:43

@27, I don't understand what the point is of kindling that fire. Yes, name-calling is impulsive and childish, but saying things like "I don't care if I get a warning for this..." or "you whining kid..." just doesn't seem very productive. Especially when the person who said it admitted to his mistake 3 days ago. What more do you want him to do?

While I'm here, I might as well say my opinions on this situation. I could never host the site, couldn't even begin to know how. So I deeply respect anyone who can, and I respect anyone who has kids, a family, and a good stable life. I also appreciate the work that has gone into hosting this site and making it essentially the biggest resource for discussing and promoting audio games. It was the second site I knew about for audio game-related stuff (the first was l-works).

However I can understand why people are frustrated. This site is free, I'm afraid, is little excuse. Yes, hosting a site costs money, but practically the entire Internet is free so long as you pay your ISP, and many sites have less errors than this one. Even a niche site made and hosted by fans of a particular topic have a Discord server, huge forums and very frequent maintenance. Of course, many more fan-made sites crumble into dust, so the fact that this one hasn't crumbled speaks to the popularity of the site and the dedication everyone here shares to keep it alive.

With that said, there have been many topics in the site and forum feedback room which have had no response from admins. I'm not going to call specific ones out, as some of these issues have been long standing and I don't know if they occur for everyone or just me. But there still seems to be a general consensus that a fair amount of funky stuff is going on and nobody knows why, and we hear little to nothing from the webmasters until someone calls them shmucks out of frustration. Then they essentially call out the person who called them a shmuck and defend themselves, which is a very reasonable thing to do, but say little about how to address the problems we were meant to discuss. This has me a bit concerned.

I do appreciate the effort that goes into keeping the site running, but we also need people to step in and make changes to how the site works, and the current webmasters seem not to have the time or interest to do that. So I'm hoping that more webmasters can join us in future who are technologically able to do those big administrative things. I'm not at all saying the current webmasters should be booted out. They just need some assistance. And if you ask me, they deserve that assistance aj thousand times over for the wonderful work they have done and continue to do.

I hope this message reaches the right people and makes a difference.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-09-21 01:31:33

Moderation:
27. Consider  yourself warned. Why people do things knowing they will get a warning is beyond me.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-09-21 01:33:23

I agree with 29. You just like flamewar. Anyway, I noticed that as well. It took me calling him a shmuck for him to answer, and he didnt even check back the forum and post replies. I know life can be challenging, but if you have the time to read that i called you a shmuck, you have time to come and comment about legal matters on your sight. The forum was in termoil and you didn't come online. I say you are a shmuck, and i get an almost instant reply. Did he even message on the mod mailing list?
Sorry if that was harsh or whatever, its my opinion.

_____

2019-09-21 07:36:41 (edited by Dark 2019-09-21 07:37:55)

Actually, the reason that Sander took note of this topic particularly was because I dropped him an email, firstly because as Liam said in post four, some legitimate discussion about in put from the webmasters  might be genuinely helpful, and also because if someone was going to be called names and accused of goodness knows what, it only seemed fair that they have the opportunity to answer themselves.

so, might I suggest  that people stop with the schmuck raking and move on to some more useful discussion, yew know like how schmuck schmuck would a wood schmuck schmuck, if a wood schmuck could schmuck schmuck.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-21 12:57:07

I can infour that a wood shmuck can shmuck -10000 wood shmucks if it can't shmuck shmucks.
Anyway, no more flame wars, please? I apologised about a week now, and there is no need to reserect it. Now, earlier i saw a post from someone saying that they would gladly host the site. Maybe we could look into that. Even if we don't 100% trust the person, we could probably put up a mockaudiogames.net, have  it up for a 6 month period, slowly letting our members transition over there, and then we transfer all the info to there and boom. I know easier said than done, but lets try something. We must save this site to to the best of our abilities. We have so much info here, and ag.net has gained a cult following over the years.

_____

2019-09-21 21:32:49

jaidon is right, no more flame wars! if someone will help to richard and sendermen, that will cool.

Yours kindly

2019-09-25 01:58:49

I don't think there are a shortage of offers here to either host or webmaster the website; it's simply a matter of the current webmasters making the time to scope things out and make genuine effort to get a co-host at minimum. Many of us here are technically savvy enough and still others of us actually work in professional software engineering capacities. So the AG crowd is more than willing to help out but the webmasters must relinquish control for us to do so. But it's up to the webmasters to provide an avenue of contract for those interested in helping; they can't just come here and say "contact me if interested." How does one contact? Last I knew forum emails were disabled.

So if the webmasters want help, they'll ask for it; if not, they're just fine on their own. It's totally up to them since they control the database access and all that. But I say again, no shortage of talent among us in the community.

2019-09-25 02:08:12

I hate to use the please be patient line, but... Please be patient.
I'm trying to fix what I can as an admin, but not having any sort of shell access makes it hard to really troubleshoot issues.
I feel like if I could have a weekend to myself and access I could really clean things up and hopefully solve some of the nagging issues.
As I stated to the staff list. I have plenty of time as I sit on my ever widening rear. So I'd be happy to set aside a couple of days and eat, breathe, and sleep AG Net.

2019-09-25 06:29:20

Is there a way we could move the forum to a decentralized forum? Not just rely on one server?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-09-25 06:37:55

It's already on cloudflare

2019-09-25 06:39:27

And moving it isn't possible... unless you want to lose approximately 159,947 user accounts, 26,847 topics, and 427,328 posts?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-25 06:40:55

There's absolutely no reason to move it. Uptime is not the issue, and I mean if we were to move it then that means someone would need root access which means they could just fix the problems and be done with it.

2019-09-25 10:45:50

@40: Root access isn't required to fix most of the forum's issues. The 400 error issue, for example, I outlined a fix for in another thread. However, basic level shell access would be required, and it sounds like you're lacking in that department. Which means even if the forum needed to move for uptime reasons, good luck.

Also: Cloudflare does not a decentralised solution make. There's still a server in the backend that's hosting this thing. All cloudflare's doing is caching the content, so should uptime become an issue, at least a relatively recent version of the site will be online. ... But I suspect (well, more like I hope) you knew that already.

To the webmasters, if any of them are still paying attention here: I'm not kidding. I've offered to help out with either hosting or administrating things from a backend perspective before, when uptime and stability actually *were* issues with this site. That offer has not gone away. You've got my contact info.

To everyone else: Chill. The issues this place has are annoying, but there are more potentially site-breaking problems with the content than with the platform at present. The platform's issues, at least, can be fixed.

2019-09-30 19:09:43

Hi.

I'd like to let people know that at least from my end, the error you get when logging in, to the forum is fixed.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-10-17 02:02:03

it is also fixed for me; and it has been for around a month, in two different computers in two different countries; so it should now be fixed for everyone