2019-09-15 23:57:59 (edited by Dan Gero 2019-09-15 23:58:38)

Hello.
I'd like to clarify. I have no ill thoughts towards the two web masters of audiogames.net. I'm sure they're amazing administrators and very respectable gentlemen. However, they don't have enough time to manage the website anymore and there are certain things that we need the web masters for. Also, what happens if the server goes down and they aren't around to bring it back up?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-09-16 01:58:01

I cannot share your respect for the webmasters, unfortunately. They have shown a complete lack of interest in maintaining the site or doing anything involving it and have pretty much left all the decisions to the moderators, who are forced to take on roles they were most likely not prepared for. They also seem to have not given any input on anything the site has been doing recently, which is not a good sign. One of the times you desperately need webmasters/owners of a site or network is when your debating legalities, and they were not here for that; they're input would've been invaluable. But they were not, so the mods need to do things that are way outside their job descriptions.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-16 13:36:48

I agree with Ethin here.
The webmasters have pretty much abandoned this site, and only came to fix a bug when the mods had to contact them because of complaints.
At this point, why not give admins the code and make them web masters lol.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-09-16 14:48:03

Moderation:
I think this is a very interesting topic, but please let's not name call.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-09-16 15:39:52

If I understand correctly, it's not a matter of giving the admins source code, or some magical passwords, or anything like that. This forum uses a database, and that database is on a server owned or at least run by the current webmasters. Without access to copy that database to a new server, nobody could transfer the site to a new server without the current webmasters being involved in the transfer.

2019-09-16 20:19:25

Hi, both Richard and I have kids in the age 2 to 4. We have jobs. We try to create nice things. We pay for the hosting of AudioGames.net and fix and update things that are not working because we think it's important that AudioGames.net exists.
The PHP 5 to 7 upgrade took me a week of work. Time that was not paid for. I did not complain.
Sorry, I don't have time to read all posts on this website, because I really don't have time to do so, because I teach people how to make the world a better place (for instance by learning them to create AudioGames).
Does this make me a shmuck?

2019-09-16 20:21:29

And...if others want to work on improvements of AudioGames.net, I'm of course willing to discuss this.

2019-09-16 21:43:21

Maybe it's something worth discussing on the staff list?
Both me and Carter have experience with the software aspect and would be happy to help handle any issues.
Also let me thank you for your time, and thanks for keeping this site going. it is a fantastic resource, and I think people take it for granted.
You are certainly not a shmuck.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-09-16 23:40:04

Sendermen, this does not make you a shmuck, not at all.

2019-09-17 00:28:31

Personally, I've always been very happy that Sander and Richard built  this website, hosted it free of charge and maintained it over such a long period through floods fires and catastrophes, including complete backups, not to mention trusting me the way they have over the years.

Could matters be improved? Well of course they could, but that's true of anything, and looking around at the state of the internet now as compared to what it was in 2004, the number of websites that have gone belly  up or been destroyed by spambot attacks speaks for itself and just how well audiogames.net has weathered  through the changes.

Thanks again.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-09-17 03:13:00

@Senderman, I'm sorry. You aren't. You really and truly host the sight, and keep it up. Don't study me. You do it all for free, and you even take rude comments, like i posted, pretty fairly. I'm really and truly sorry. You aren't a Shmuck.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-09-17 03:31:21

Also, Thanks for this. Without you and Richard, Our lives would be that much more boring, and new devs, like sam, Mason, Fallingsqurrel and outofsight games would have such a hard time promoting their games. Again, thanks for that. I think, all of us, including myself take you 2 for granted. I really am sorry. Don't rage quit on the sight, and pull the plug after seeing such nasty comments from myself and others.

_____

2019-09-17 03:46:38

Kids and real life work should always come first. Thanks for keeping this up for us and helping out when you can.

2019-09-17 14:45:09

As anybody said here, thanks for you're hard work to the site. Hope it gets functional for ever! big_smile

73 Wj3u

2019-09-17 15:23:32

I do think it would be helpful though if other people (e.g Liam or Carter) were webmasters as well, so that Sander and Richard can maintain a good work-life balance. My philosophy here right now is that more is good, but I could be wrong.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-09-17 15:38:38

Hi,
@15: Agreed. this would be a great idea because then Richard and Sander would have a lot of work taken off their shoulders.
I, too, am grateful for the creation and maintenance of this site.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-09-17 15:53:47

Here's my tae on this, and I'm going to be blunt ere. It may seem harsh.
First, I am grateful for what you've done, Sendermen and Richard. I am pleased that you've kept the site going for as long as you have. However, I am... displeased on your inaction. As a site owner and administrator you are responsible for assisting the administrators and moderators that you have appointed, and communicating with them so that you may stay up to date on the happenings on those websites that you manage. If you do not have enough time to perform your duties as a site administrator, then you are responsible for delegating them off to other people and granting those people the right to act in your stead. This includes granting selected people complete and total access to all controls of the site bar payments and web hosting control panels. I get that life gets in the way and I understand that, and in all situations life comes first (and so does family). However, that in no way means you can abdicate yourself for indefinite periods of time and fail to communicate what is happening in your life to the mods mailing list. If you will be unavailable for a period of time, you need to inform the admins so that steps can be taken. Your input would've been invaluable many, many times to resolve important conflicts, such as the massive debate we had on copyright and what we should do about it; as a site owner you are responsible for handling that and, therefore, need to tell us how you would like us to handle it going forward. Otherwise, the administrators are left in the dust and must do what they believe you would do because they have no other option. They must take on roles and responsibilities that they are not ready to handle; responsibilities that are far beyond the job description of an administrator. They are not the ones who will be contacted about DMCA matters, for example; you will be contacted, and you therefore must remain up to date on what is happening o your site, or change the contact data for matters like that to someone who has the time.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-17 16:56:28

I agree with Ethin here. Keeping the site running and mostly bug free is one thing, but keeping up to date, listening to user and moderator feetback is something completely different and in this partt, both webmasters have been failing the last few years.

Greetings Moritz

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-09-17 16:56:58

Hi.

@sendermen, the error you get after loging in rreally should be fixed.

It's been going on for about 4 or so months now and we have to log in,, then press alt d, then I press f for forum.audiogames.net and press enter, then find the topic I want to reply to.

This is a big issue and needs to change as it's making us take extra steps we shouldn't have to take.

I'm gone for real :)

2019-09-17 19:23:27

Login issue seems fixed ATM. I was living that problem too, I managed to login without any errors now.

2019-09-17 22:31:23

I've offered to host this site, forums and all, before and was essentially ignored. If things have changed since I made that offer, the folks who run it have access to my contact info. They know where to find me.

2019-09-17 23:26:26

Here is my official stance on this. I admit I was harsh for calling them Shmucks, But even though we appreciate what you do, it would be better if  you give the site to someone who has more time. You can't just abandon the ship with a warning. What you did is unleaderly, and even though you pay for the sight, and we are really greatful for that, that just one part of it. So many issues have come up, and we cant fix it because well, there is nobody to fix it. You knoww what's funny? It took me CALLING a shmuck just for him to post on the sight, for maybe since a year. I've been on this sight for a year now, and recently got in to it, and reading through posts, i never saw anything from him.

_____

2019-09-17 23:41:55

No, the last time he ever posted was about three months ago in the changes topic.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-09-18 05:10:21

@6 No, it doesn't make you a schmuck. Most of the issues we are facing right now are just things that could be fixed, and aren't. I definitely understand not being able to put in that commitment, and never would blame you or anyone else for not having the time and / or energy, especially after 15 years. But, it would be a shame to see AgNet just fall apart because of errors that keep cropping up, which is where all of my concerns come into play. That's why I'm an advocate of letting others help on the back end type of thing.

I'm definitely appreciative of what you guys and all the staff have done in keeping this site up, and adding to it and making it a place to congregate over the years. That's why I and many others feel the way we do about this, simply because this site has a lot of history behind it. It's less about bashing you guys and more about trying to find a way to keep some sort of sysadmin maintenance going on to keep AgNet alive.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-09-18 17:05:40

Hi.

@katil, the error doesn't seam to be fixed for me.

Here's what I get when loging in.

400 Bad Request
The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port

cloudflare

I'm gone for real :)