2019-02-19 13:09:56

Re: 3d sound, as I recall, Philip's original intention was to use XAudio2 for BGT, but was unable to get it to work without unacceptable amounts of latency. 3d audio took huge leaps circa 2014-15, and on top of that are all the license issues. It's a headache today, and even more so in 2010-11, so Philip going with the reliable 2d sound available on all Windows machines from XP up, and waiting to see if the results would make adding something else worth the trouble, makes a sort of sense, imo.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-19 17:32:26

I agree with a lot of these recent posts. I especially like the idea of several of our great developers coming together to make something fantastic. Imagine Aprone, Liam, and others teaming together to make something really great. Yeah, it may not be as great as some mainstream games, but there's a lot of potential when you get a bunch of people working together.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-19 18:52:16

It's worth pointing out that most teams are concentrated in one location. They might have people phoning in recordings or artwork, but for the most part, successful indy teams tend to have as many team-members as they can in the same building. Liam and Aprone are probably the closest to each other on the list, and they're still hundreds of miles apart, and may or may not have one of the Great Lakes between them.
If someone wants to start a company, rent a place to use as a studio, and figure out all the logistics and bureaucratic rear-covering stuff, by all means, go for it. Not sure who would be able or willing to relocate to whereever it is, but I'm sure it will result in at least one playable product before Economic Reality gets its greasy hands on everything. Eugh.

One of these days, I'll find something optimistic to balance out these sorts of posts. T.T

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 03:03:25

Thing is, with all of the filesharing, storage, and videoconferencing tools available nowadays, having one centralized location isn't a must.  Teams can work together even if they live thousands of miles apart.

2019-02-20 03:55:41

Heh. If I ever do manage to get going in a dev sense, I'm definitely going to have to outsource bits, as I simply don't have the time to learn to code and then actually bloody well do it. Ditto sound design. I'll be a concept person.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-20 09:04:43

It's true that the internet makes working together over long distances more possible than ever. From what I can tell, though, having everyone in the same building still makes a huge difference, so long as they're not getting in each other's way (etc, distracting or stressful combinations of people and office layout).

Some of the grumbling coming out of game studios recently has me wondering about the idea of someone with an idea hiring people to do most of the work. See: the thing where someone (at Tale-Tale, I think?) got complaints for trying to control the contents of a game. It made it sound like everyone was expecting a collaboration, rather than something more like a movie, where the actors are there to act, and the director/producer don't have to let them ad lib or do anything creative if they don't like it. Granted, compare the Star Wars prequels to the first Pirates of the Caribbean to see what difference allowing actors to try their own ideas can make. Or, heck, just compare Attack of the Clones to The Empire Strikes Back. How do you know where the line should be for a particular project?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 17:36:20

Hmm just guessing, but I think you could put you're game on an FTP server, set up one account, deny delete permissions and open source it that way.

2019-02-20 17:54:00

Yeah, or github... well that’s what i’d personally use if i were to open source anything.

2019-02-21 02:46:15

My issue with Python is that it's... Just... To hard for me to get use to and stuff. BGT has like a simple documentation thing, with Python you gotta find out which documentation thing would be right for you, you have to make you're own compiler and/or compilation error check I think, and you can't just press enter on a script or else it will just show up with the command line and all that stuff.
Granted, I do not know much about Python, maybe I am totally wrong about this, but if you could please point me in the right direction.
I am not a good coder in BGT either, but it seems like it is a hell of a lot simpler than Python seems to be.

2019-02-21 02:48:08

I do think it would be really cool to learn but I just don't have the time and stuff to screw with it. It would probably be good to start now? Maybe not. Don't know.

2019-02-21 17:17:29

Hmm, I found pyinstaller with Python, it's a library thing that compiles you're python code into an executable. .
I got Python 2.7, with PIP, you should get that, pygame, PYAUTOGUI, and other stuff.

2019-02-21 17:26:04

Use Python 3 if you can. Python 2 will be officially EOL in 2020. @108, no, Python does not require you to write your own compiler error checkerthing. No programming language requires you to do that. It will report errors to you just as anything else would. Pyinstaller is not a program that "compiles" your Python source code; all it is is a program that bundles your python code, all the libraries it needs, and a python interpreter into a nice little package for you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-25 00:44:15

Ah okay. I will look into Python 3.