2018-01-02 21:48:48

I looked into this a few years ago and could never find any concrete answers, so figured I'd ask!  I tried using Steam  years ago and could never get it to work.  I use NVDA, and saw some people had success with using JAWS with Steam but was curious to know if NVDA is usable with Steam also?  I think I may have tried about 2 or 3 years ago and just never got it  to work, so right now I just have a Steam account my friend helped me setup with no games on it.

Any info about this would be appreciated!  big_smile

2018-01-02 22:32:18

Hi,
The answer is somewhat, it's kind of a bit of a hackjob though, in terms of you have to enter some commands into STeam, som eof them I do not remember the format of properly at the moment, but can let you know if I find out. Even then though, it's a bit fiddly and nott the best.

2018-01-03 13:49:15

Honestly I have no problems using it, but that's just me. Also this should help.
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=13431

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2018-01-03 15:08:20

Yup, pretty much what death says. I personally after setting that up just have the client open because you kinda have to, but everything I do on steam can be done from the website. Buying, remote installing, etc.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-01-03 17:25:23

Hi guys,

so, it is still possible to install the games you bought from the website?
I mean, I can remember having that done at some Point. But since I installed Steam on a new Computer, I am not able to install any of my purchased games.
Can you please tell me, how to do that? I can only find Buttons for statistics or to write a Review of the Chosen game.

2018-01-03 18:37:40

In order for this to work, you need to be very familiar with the review cursor and mouse routing commands. Steam will accept arrow keys to highlight a game down the list, but since it will not be announced, you only will use this to scroll the page.

The first thing you will want to do is change the view to list mode, You need to find the view option which is near the top of everything, Route your mouse there and do a click, then explore with the review cursor downward until you see list, again, route and click. Now, here's the important part, the representation to the screen reader will not change even if you alt tab out and back in, restart the screen reader, and so on, so you actually need to restart steam. You will find the steam icon in the notification overflow area. You get to this with windows B, then space, and right arrow. Use your context key or shift F10 to invoke the menu, then up arrow and enter. It will not announce the menu choices, but up arrow, enter, and you'll hear something like steam shutting down. Once that's completed, go ahead and launch steam again from your desktop shortcut. You will now be able to view all the games in a list, and things will make better sense, because it won't be cutting across columns on the screen and reading half of one thing and half of another. Once that's done, you will need to either scroll using the arrows, now remember, your page holds a few games at once. I maximize steam so it holds more, do this with alt space, X if you wish. My steam library has 95 games, actually, I just bought three more, so it has 98 games now. Let's say I want to play Evochron Mercenary (it is not accessible, so don't bother asking), I will not see it because my screen is scrolled all the way to the top, and I have stuff in favorites. I will then tap E and it hopefully jumps to the first thing with E in it. Now I can use the review cursor to explore the screen. When I find it, i would route, and double click, which is just hitting your screen reader's simulate a click twice rapidly. That would launch the game if it was installed, or it would open the window to start the installation process. When you get to this window, you just hit enter a few times. Some bigger games will take a while in this window because it has to allocate disk space for the game to be installed to before it will download it, so that process can take a bit. I have games ranging from under a gig to about 60 gigs, so you can imagine, but the review cursor can be used her as well.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, again, if you are not very familiar with how to use review cursor and mouse routing and things of that nature, you have some learning to do, same for jaws, if you don't know how to use the touch cursor and so forth.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-03 19:18:06

I hafve also noticed that in later versions of Windows, using Jaws cursor does nothing except output "blank, blank, blank."  I'm forced to use the OCR function now in lieu of the jaws cursor in about 99% of cases, including outside of Steam.

2018-01-03 21:00:05

@ironcross32:
Wow! Thanks a lot! That was actually very helpful. I didn't know, you could change it to list mode. That made things much easier :-).

But just out of curiosity. How does the remote installing work? I remember, that I did that once. But I just can't figure out, how I did it...

2018-01-03 21:17:38

Wow!  Thanks for all the detailed info guys big_smile I had no idea you could just buy things from the website, and that detailed walkthrough on how to use it helps tons.  Going to look into this more definitely!