2018-06-21 20:52:50

The Steam summer sale is on and I am wanting to get one of King of Fighters XIV or Dead or alive 5 last round which are both heavily discounted. Anyone have any recommendations??

2018-06-22 00:02:38

Depends. If you want the more complex game, probably KOF... and if you want a simpler but flashier seemin game with an abundance of costumes, DOA 5. lol I would personally go with KOF.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-06-22 01:05:21

Kof has more characters over 50. Yes its complex but if you are not skilled at it, you can still mash a single button to perform flashy combos. Just be aware that the characters spoken dialog is primarily japanese, in story and otherwise. If you don't mind that then its a totally solid but underapreciated game with lots of modes. If howezver you want a game with a lengthy english story mode to play through and a rock paper cizzars fighting system then doa is the way to go.

2018-06-22 05:05:15

I've had some exposure to both series, but am liking getting other people's opinions. The wide variety of characters in KOF is attractive to me, but the lack of english voices is a strike against it for me. As for DOA the story interests me but from what I remember its sound design is not as nuanced.
Which would you say has the better and longer lasting single player experience? I very rarely go online so that is not as important for me.

2018-06-22 07:16:02

Honestly I would have to give replay value to doa, especially if you're interested in story. Plus doa6 is coming out soon too so there's that. The fighting sfx is in a narrower stereo field than kof but you can still tell where things are. Beyond the 3 or so hour so story campaign there's your usual arcade, survival mode, training and trials. And doa started doinng this thing where arcade mode has several courses to finish.
To be fair I probably haven't given kof xiv a fair chance. I sat down with it for like an hour or so in the story mode but having come from story ritch games like mk and blazblue and persona 4 arena this one was just hard to follow especially since it isn't in english. So for me it isn't for lack of modes but for story that I give it to doa5.

2018-06-22 07:26:47

Single player would probably definitely be DOA 5. But in terms of the game mechanics themselves, there is most certainly more depth in KOF, which you can tell by just glancing at it. Plus the fact that in DOA you can play almost every character the same way, with a few adjustments. Not so with KOF. But if it's long lasting single player you're wanting, then DOA certainly wins hands down.

Discord: clemchowder633