2018-12-08 01:48:20

Hello! I'm trying to play flexible survival, the single player game as a begining, to get use to the world, the mechanic, and maybe follow up with the mud.
I'm definitly enjoying it so far, but I still have some questions regarding gameplay and the universe itself.

Gameplay first :
The nap command doesn't seem to work properly. My character is apparently constently tired, and the nap command refuses to work. The system tells me that I don't need to take a nap. Alternativly I can try to simply rest, but even if my rest is not interrupted by some mutants, my lack of energy seems to not have disapeared anyway.
What am I doing wrong?
About quests, I think I understand how it's supposed to work, but I'm still a little confused . Spoiler alert!
I repeat , spoiler alert!
My radio told me about zephyr's location and the work that could be done there. Considering that cooperating could be a good way to survive, I decided to go there. Arrived at destination, I found what seemed to be the begining of the next part of the main quest. I was told to find some kind of scientist hiding in the city. Apparently the quest added some kind of beacon to my map, but it doesn't show up in the nav menu. Even the monsters I'm supposed to hunt for zephy incorporated can't be reached with the hunt command, atleast not in my current location. I'm sure I'm missing a key element of gameplay here, but I don't know what... Any advice?

About the world itself :
There's something I don't understand with the infection itself. A basic character seems to start by being entierly human. But if I understand correctly, we're all infected. So nanites are well present in our organism, consuming our humanity over time. But why does a character's body stays the same over time? Aren't we supposed to mute no mather what happens? Having sexe with monsters seems to add physical component to the change itself, but except for that, there's no much risk is it?
Further than this, if the idea is to stay human, why would I deliberatly have sexe with a mutant? Even on a rollplay point of view, am I really supposed to be attracted by monsters while being totally human? That's not very clear to me.
If you can bring some light over here, don't hesitate!

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-08 03:50:44

Are you asking specifically about single player or mud?

2018-12-08 13:23:42

For rp related questions, I guess my question touches both of them. About gameplay of course it only regards the single player.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-09 09:57:23 (edited by Dark 2018-12-09 09:59:57)

@Arkandias Okay I'll try to answer your questions, I actually had to give the latest version of the game a try myself since I haven't played for a while and the sleep mechanic is comparatively new, then I got lost in exploring some new stuff I hadn't seen before.

1: The command is rest. If you rest correctly you gain the ~"well rested feat" which gives you a plus two to all stats, which also equalises combat a little. I do admit the "your not drowsy" response for sleep or nap is confusing.

The reason it isn't working correctly is that either you have run into a bug, or more likely you don't have the cot with you.
If you don't have the "roughing it" feat or the  cot in your inventory resting won't restore anything. If you do have either the cot or "roughing" it" and your not seeing the "well rested feat" turn up after you rest (check the "look me" command), then its possible you have got a bug somewhere and should report it on the fs forum.

2: typing "nav" on its own brings up a list of locations, they're organised by district, EG "high rise, Zephyr" New locations you find or hear about will turn up on that list, or if you have the "city map" feat you'll see everything.

~Typing "nav" and the name of a location  will try to travel to that location (possibly running into trouble along the way). So, to get to Zephyr  type "nav zephyr" (be sure on spelling and typing everything since the game needs precise input). 

The scientist you heard mentioned can be found in Trevor labs, which should appear on your map after you hear about it, so just type "nav trevor"

About hunting and exploring.

When your at a nav point, (when you see "explore" and "nav" listed as exits like in the central room of the grey abby library), you can type explore to run into a random creature or event, or hunt and then "event/creature/location" to look specifically, though it takes a perception check.

Bare in mind though that unless your playing in hard mode, most higher level creatures  won't show up until your ready for them. If I remember rightly the Panthertaurs Larissa at Zephyr tells you to hunt are level 4, and don't show up until you hit level 1 or 2.

if you want a good start off quest, go to trevor labs and see Dr. Mat.

Also, note that as well as the huge over world with its events and creatures, there are also individual hunting areas  in most locations in the game too with their own set of monsters and events, for example if you go into the mall and go east from the foyer, you can go east into the public toilets  use "explore" to check out the sewers, you'll need to do this to find one of the monsters for Dr. Matt's quest.

The one mildly annoying part of the game is that currently there isn't a way to track what quests you have or get details about them, though I know a quest tracker is in the works.

if your stuck on what to do try The Flexible survival wiki found here though read with care since finding things out for yourself is always more fun.

Okay, to answer your rp questions.
If you start in Bunker mode you begin with a human form, however yes you've already been infected. Your libido will rise over time and you will find yourself getting mutated somewhere, this is all part of the game, since the idea is that each mutation carries a strain of the nanite virus which is trying to propergate itself and prove superior over other mutations hence the rather overthetop urges to, mmmm, breed.
If you really want to stay human in form, try playing in researcher mode, though mutating is all part of the game's atmosphere, indeed my character on the fs mud is someone who was ravaged by a next door neighbor, and has now done a deal with Zephyr to get nanite shifting powers so she/he can take on whatever form she/he wants from any creature she/he defeats, ditto with the change in gender.

This is just part of the game's ethos, and how much you give in to it is up to your playing style and personality. I personally  always see the goal here as basically trying to maintain some sort of equilibrium despite the crazy new way things are going as well as  making a safe haven for other survivors and generally helping out where I can, but you do have some less pleasant options on occasion, some of which you might find yourself giving in to if your libido is too high whether you want to or not (though you can take feats to change this if you wish).

for a good idea of the game's world and ethos, go and check out The SMithhaven Mall and talk to the people around there.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-09 13:09:56

Hello!
Thank you so much, things look definitly less confusing now. I wasn't sure if humanity had to be considered as an independant category, or one of the extreme sides of a continuum between human and the most feral mutant ever.
About the nav system, the only probleme I til have is that this part of the quest doesn't seem to work properly. Larissa told me about the lab, without mentioning its name but ok, and my map (or list of possible destinations) does not update according to the information she gave me. I guess the explore command will randomly guide me there if I'm lucky, but since the script tells me that she gives some ints about the scientist's location, I think I should see it with the nav command.

About the rest command, understood. So there's only one command, and the nap command can't help. It would be usefull to be able to take a short break, staying alert but resting a little, but ok. I have the cot with me, but maybe I need to rest in a safer place for the rest to work.

Thanks again!

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-09 16:09:01

As regards the navigation command, Larissa doesn't say the name of the lab, but if you use the nav command with no arguement before you talk to her it should just show:

high rise district: Grey abbey library, zephyr.

Then after you talk to her it should show:

High rise district: Grey abbey library, zephyr, trevor labs.

No need to explore till you find it, simply typing nav trevor should get you there, or, if for some reason its not updated on your map hunt trevor.
Also note that trevor labs is spealt t r e v  o r, (you need to pay attention to spelling in this game).

Btw, did you start in blind mmode by mistake at the beginning of the game? This might explain if your running into troubles with navigation since blind mode (which has nothing to do with accessibility), negates the hunt command and marking stuff on the map, so the only way to find things is explore at random, which pretty much makes some quests impossible, so its not recommended.

With resting I'm not sure what is wrong, unless maybe this is also something with blind mode. When I tried the game resting always worked.

Btw, you might want to read This page on the flexible survival wiki which is on basic game concepts and contains no spoilers but should tell you about mechanics etc.

As regards humanity, the humanity stat in the game is a synonym for sanity and refers to your state of mind rather than how you look. Even if you've got cat ears, a scaly body, four equine legs with hooves and hermaphrodite private parts of both genders, you can still be perfectly reasonable to those around you provided you keep your humanity/sanity stat high and that your rising libido doesn't interfere with things too much.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-09 18:42:53

So... about trevor's lab, it doesn't show up in my destinations list. That's exactly my point, the fact that she seems to indicates me some kind of path doesn't impact my actual map. I'm not using blind mode. I've carefully read the description of every element in the pregame's configuration to make sure I wasn't missing an important element to begin with.
I'll try to restrt my game just in case.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-09 19:21:57 (edited by Dark 2018-12-09 19:25:01)

Hmmm, this is weird. What did you set your graphic options too? maybe the text is being covered up.

Also  what interpreter/screen reader combo are you using? 

I just today downloaded the direct msi installer. This installs the game with a preconfigured copy of windows git  works fine with the Nvda interactive fiction addon.

Indeed, if your using the basic game file and winglullks with the Winglulks NvdA addon you might want to switch since the general interactive fiction one is rather superior to the specific winglulks addon.

If you don't have the general interactive fiction addon for NvdA you can Download that here

I would not recommend trying to play online since the web interface can be rather clunky, indeed that might be part of the problem.

If your using Jaws or system access I'm afraid I'm not sure what to recommend exactly at this stage, though I've heard Filfre is a good Jfw interpreter and that will play glulks games.

Sorry your running into trouble. I'm not sure what is happening exactly, but hopefully we can get it fixed so you can try the game out.

2018-12-09 19:57:14

I'm using NVDA, with the general interpreter add on, winglulx, and my graphic option is set to on, and its value is 5. I didn't want to turn it off, to avoid bugs, but I wanted it to take as less room as possible to avoid problemes with virtual screen view with NVDA. Should I disable it, or give it a larger value on screen, like 25?

About the game's enjoyment, don't worry, even if it's sometimes not very clear, I've seen enough background and gameplay elements to be sure I want to explore the concept. I just want to take as much as I can from the single player game before I dive into the mud itself smile .

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-10 07:01:34

Hmmm, this is very strange.

I tried running the game in winglulks and with the graphics, and its still showing up on the map.
The top line should say "primary rooms zephyr" and then after you talk to Larissa it should add "trevor labs" on there.

I've tried monkeying with graphics settings and hyperlinks settings and no change either way, I wonder if this is something to do with your general screen resolution or your winglulks text settings? Could you try installing the preconfigured wingit version from the website and see if that works?

The only problem you'll run into if you don't have the map active, is that sometimes you'll meet an npc and be told to go somewhere, but not given a precise name to type into the nav command and need to look on the map to get what you need to type.

You can check the wiki for quests etc of course, but its more fun discovering things on your own.

As for the mud, the mud and single player game are very different beasts. I've enjoyed both in my time, but other than an overview of the setting, the single player game isn't %100 necessary to play the mud, indeed the mud is set a little later on in time than the single player game I think, its also less rampantly, in your face adult a lot of the time too.

2018-12-10 10:53:02

Ok, I'll find this setup and see if the preconfig changes anything.
About the mud, tha's globally what I've read, but I'm the kind of player that wants to go through all the scenario before going on with the next part. For example, in this case, having played a character in the single player (so a few weeks only after the infection started) before playing another (a few years later). I even tried to play wave of change, since I thought it was some kind of prequel based on the initial disaster. Of course it was not, but still today I don't understand the point of this game, I guess this was just some kind of concept beta, meaning to let you experiment nearly every kind of mutation or stuff like that...

Thank you so much for you r answers!

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-10 13:37:47

Hello again!
So I've unstalled winglulx and installed the recommanded full game config and... and it works. Don't ask me why, but verything's going as fine as possible. The rest command is no longer buggy, the nav command works as expected. So thank you!

One last question though : flexible society, is it worth playing or not? The wiki doesn't mention it so much, so I guess this is a little like flexible infection, a approximative concept, but if you think there are some important elements of background or some interresting gameplay behind this, I'll have a look of course.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-11 01:53:50

Hello again!
So I've started exploring for good now that everything is working fine.
I have two major questions after hours of gameplay :
-first, is there some kind of quest log ? For the first part of dr. Mat's quest, I'm quite sure I'm looking for the right things, but ... I'd like to check. I need to extract samples from two monsters. To be honnest, after having done some random exploration, I've checked on the wiki to see if it could ring a bell. I'm not sure, something tells me that hermaphrodite gryphon and goo girl (as told in the quest guide) is not what I was asked to bring, but anyway. I try to hunt a goo girl in the mall, but the system tells me that  I should try to look in another place. Fine but according to the wiki, it's the only place I can find one. About gryphons, I've found many of them, and I've obtained some milk as a sample, but I can give it to him. Do I need to have the two different samples for the script to trigger?

Second question, a little more global this time, there's something I don't get with transformation. Sometimes accidentally sometimes not, I got infected by many different kinds of mutant. Sometimes only part of my body shifts towards the corresponding form, sometimes my all body seems to turn into it. Is there any coherence or is it only the system doing its best to deal with ibridism ?

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-11 07:51:54

Glad things are now working out, god knows why win glulks is giving you a problem, but there's nothing wrong  the game with its installer and NvdA will work with it just as well.

To answer your questions, there isn't a quest log at the moment but I have suggested it on the fs forum and hopefully its in the works. Unfortunately the problem at the second is you often need to check the wiki to find quest progress which is slightly irritating. , you are dead right on Doctor Matt's first quest  requiring two griffin milk from a Hermaphrodite blue griffin and two goo from a goo girl.
You can find goo girls by hunting in the mall, however bare in mind the hunt command will only work correctly when your in an appropriate hunting area, ie, an area from which you can encounter random monsters. The Mall is very big as a location with lots going on, but there's only one place inside it you can find random monsters, at the public toilets east of the food court, that is two north and one east from where you enter. You can explore the sewers by going down from here.
Once your there, hunt goo girl will do fine. Once you have two of each thing, go back to Doctor Matt and choose the option to help him with his research, if the right items are in your inventory you'll move on to the next part of the quest.

In terms of mutation there are five parts of your body that can mutate, head, legs, arms, torso, tale/rump and skin. Mutations will also switch  genitals and breasts to a given length and size as well, especially if your repeatedly infected by the same thing.

I've noticed in recent versions more parts of you tend to mutate at once so there is less chance of being a hybrid, and of course you can take the singular fun feat which makes you mutate completely to whatever form your torso takes.

Actually, as the game goes on and you get more feats and better combat items, plus as you get some companions and pets to journey with you you'll find your mutations being a wee bit more stabilised, and one part of the  is seeing how things end when you get different mutations, whether ending via submitting to them or when the military shows up (you can see them early with either the givein or end now commands). 

Also, if you want a good guide on getting into things check out This topic on the wiki which lists pets/npcs you can find who come to the bunker and video tapes. I think its a trifle out of date since there are a few newer ones missing such as Zoe, but it should be worth a read.

As regards othergames, wave  changes is more a concept demo, though it also serves as something of a prequal as it shows you lots of infections in the city.
Flexible society I actually rather like, but sadly  development stopped on it because the idea of forming societies among clans of different mutants wasn't as popular, and a lot  the direction of development for the games  comes from the patrion.

Flexible society sadly is a bit hard to progress in at the second, since to raise a lot of skills you need research points, and there isn't really an efficient way to obtain them in the demo as is.

As regards the mud, yes, you can treat as something of a later encarnation of the single player game, albeit one with very different mechanics and multiplayer capabilities, though I'd also suggest thinking about your character and background as well as how you want to play the game.

Hth.

2018-12-11 11:49:22

Hello,
oh ok. About the mall, I thought the hunting area at the entrance of the zone could be enough. I should explore a little before worrying, but sometimes it's difficult to make a difference between what's not possible and what I just don't get.
I'll check for goo girls, but I maintain that he asked me for other substance than what's said in the wiki. I don't remember the monster it was supposed to come from, but it was about nutritive fluid ... hm I can't remember. I'll try the described solution anyway and we'll see.

So the game seems to be frequently updated. If we have the preinstalled version, do we get a notif or do I need to check regularly on the website?

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-11 13:23:08

Where do I get the General Interpreter addon? Last I tried it, it did not work with the regular Winglulx. I want to get back into this and other games.

2018-12-11 13:54:05

@Arkandias I see the problem your having with the hunt command.

when you first nav to a zone like the smithhaven mall, you will be at the entrance of that zone, and so can use the hunt and explore commands to explore the outside from there, since they're essentially entrances to the game's overworld.

To get to the individual hunting zones for each area, where you can find specific monsters that appear in that area, you need to enter the area itself and look around. You can always tell where you can use hunt and explore commands since it usually lists them in the list of exits,  the description will usually tell you if your likely to head back out into the city or if your heading  a more specific trouble spot.

So in smith haven mall, using "hunt" or "explore" from the parking lot will just explore the city at large, too actually find mall monsters you need to go and find the sewer entrance in the public toilets as I said.

As to updates, because the game is still written in glulks format there is nothing like an auto updater or the like, however if you head over to the main website you can always track updates on the blog.
Usually there is a new version each month with a big list of changes.

@Orin, you can Get the general interpreter addon here

It works fine with Winglulks, though if the issues Arkandias reports here are correct you might be better off working with the msi installer and  wingit version of the game, though the general interpreter addon works fine with that too.

2018-12-13 20:12:36

Hello!
I'm curious. I know this game has an important experimental side, and this could be the reason why I'm experiencing this issue, but ...
I've tried to save my current game a few days ago. I had allready done this before and it worked fine. But today, I tried to restore the game from my save file and... it partially worked as far as I understand.
First, let's say that I'm sure that I have lost things, like done quests, some credits and levels, etcetera. Everything seems to be directly drawn from my first save, which is, of course, not what I was looking for.
I'm almost sure that, when I saved my game for the second time, I correctly replaced the old file with the new one. Is it a known bug, or does it sound more probable to you that I just did something wrong while saving ?

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-13 20:29:09

I'm afraid i'm not exactly sure what you mean.
Saving the game has worked fine for me, as has restoring.

I will say when you restore from the main menu, the game first restores the game state and asks about graphics etc, then asks you to  open your last save file.

I have had it happen where I hit escape on the file open box and I wind up in the bunker at the first turn of the game, but then just typing "restore" and loading the file works fine.

hth.

2018-12-13 21:48:24

Hm... Strange.
When I launch the game, I'm immediatly told to configure a new one, so I let all the options by default to go to the next step as fast as possible, then I use the restore command. Maybe I shouldn't have kept the name of my original save file, otherwise I cold try to delete my save feel as soon as I load it to create a new one each time I save. This could prevent this from happening again, but allow me to progress between the two saves...
It's still possible that I just pressed the wrong button and didn't replace the file, but it'd be surprising.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-14 09:55:25

Hello! I'm back with another question! If I continue this way, I'll end up with a special title like flexible questioner. Oh I really hope that someone will remember to write this on my stone when I'll pass away, that's terrible. Anyway.
My question is :
Do the different mutation forms you can have and mix have an impact on your gameplay? I mean... I know that the ending may depend on it, and that visually you're actually transformed. But I must admit that I'm a little disapointed to see that there's no real difference in terms of fighting for example. Feral mutants are allowed to use their wings tail and claws on us, but we can grow up as much as we want, gaining tentacle, sharp teeth and even horns, we don't gain any physical advantage. Another reason why this should happen is that if you take the caught outside start, since you've allready begun to mute, you're slightly more resistant to thirst and hunger, that could be part of usual mutations too.
I hope I'm wrong because this would be a really negative point, especially in such a realistic game. Well... not realistic but atleast immersive and complex.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-14 10:04:53

No idea on the save file, I've always just used the one and replaced it no trouble.

As regards mutations, there are a couple of later feats you can get that can let you benefit from your mutated body in combat, but in general the mutations are more aesthetic and gameplay based than anything else and tied more to the game's possible endings.

In the multiplayer version however things are very different. Each mutant body part comes with its own set of powers, which you can then learn as part of your permanent power set, indeed the combat in the multiplayer version sort of resembles a ccg with you having to collect different powers to make an efficient set, though of course other than for rp purposes mutation forms aren't tied to endings etc as much.