2013-04-14 23:46:53

Hi,
Welcome to the forum Amro! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Thumbs up

2013-05-07 01:16:52 (edited by ragzouken 2013-05-07 01:33:27)

Hey, I'm Mark. I'm a Computer Science student at the University of Bristol, though I will be graduating in a few months. I'm a hobbyist game developer and recently discovered audiogames after attempting to make one for the Ludum Dare game making event. I'm fully sighted, but I'm interested in audiogames as a means to enjoy a videogame experience without having to look at a screen (I do this too much already). I'm excited to be making audiogames and hope I can contribute something to the landscape of audiogames.

Until very recently, I had only really ever heard of Deep Sea as far as audiogames go. I'm completely unfamiliar with what the state of the art for audiogames is, and it'd be great if someone could give me any kind of perspective on that. If anyone is in a position to describe the state of audiogames from the perspective of a well-versed videogame player that would be particularly helpful. Actually I'm pretty ignorant on the whole experience of sight-impairment; if anyone has any resources to educate myself generally on that, I'd love to see them too.

2013-05-07 02:48:30 (edited by BrianSchmidt 2013-05-08 02:44:29)

Hello,

I'm Brian Schmidt.  I recently started a small indy development company, EarGames, to develop small-scale, casual "videogames" that use audio as the main gameplay element.   Although not necessarily "for the blind" I've learned a lot about accessibility on the various platforms, especially iOS in the course of developing my first "audio" game, which I'll announce when it's released (and in the other forum);  realizing what capabilities that platform had for accessibility ended up making me re-think how I approached the iPhone/iPad and even the game itself.

I'm particularly fascinated by 3D hearing and surround technologies, and have been doing work on 3D audio since college (waaaay back in the 80's).  One of the things I was heavily involved in for Xbox was both the 3D HRTF technology and the integration of Dolby Digital into Xbox, after convincing the powers at be how 3D/Surround could be used to expand the playfield beyond just the images on the screen.

Aside from EarGames, I'm  a game audio technologist, composer and sound designer.  I've been doing sound/music for games for around 25 years, mostly as an independent consultant; some of the game's i've worked include Madden football (several years and platforms) the Desert Strike Jungle strike series, as well as a ton of arcade games.  I spent 10 years at Microsoft as the main architect of the audio system for Xbox and Xbox 360.  I guess my claim to fame is the "Xbox" startup sound smile.   My most recent game was "zynga slots" for facebook.

I've always wanted to explore better uses of sound in games (and talk frequently at the Game Developers Conference about sound in games), and especially on how sound can be the primary or perhaps only gameplay element. 

I also run a conference on game sound and music, GameSoundCon.

Thanks for what looks like a great site and resource!

Brian Schmidt
Creative Director EarGames
Executive Director, GameSoundCon

2013-05-17 06:01:27

Hi all!

My name's Joseph (the username probably gave that away...)  I'm primarily a writer and composer; I love collaboration, and figured this would be a great place to pick the brains of people much wiser and smarter than I - and perhaps to offer what small aid I can, as well.  I'm currently trying to make a foray into the world of indy audiogame development with my wife and a programmer friend - hopefully we can accomplish something before reality sets in. tongue

Oh, and I'm blind, by the way.  I guess that's not a given.  I was born low-vision, but used to play a lot of video games until I lost most of what vision I had.  Ever since, I've longed to play games that are as immersive, expansive, and varied as the ones I used to love - hence the aforementioned crazy idea of geting into game development.  I really hope we can make it work...I figure, if I don't make the games that are floating around in my mind, who will?

Thumbs up

2013-06-08 00:07:58

Hello all:

I figured I would throw out a brief introduction, though how significant my contributions to the site will be is questionable.

I've been a lurker of the site for some time now, and have been playing Muds for about a decade. My primary mud is Gw2, so for anyone that has frequented the game, hi there.

Other than that, I'm a long time student, working toward tenure, and beginning my fumbling exploration into audio game development.

I hope to learn more, and follow those better at design than I.

There. I'd say that's sufficient. smile

Thumbs up

2013-08-08 14:56:10

Hi,

This is Peter from the U.S doesn't mean much just circumstanstantual not intentional by any means. It so happens that I wasn't born blind or to put it another way not initially blind cause of genetics that runs in my family caused my blindness by the age of sixteen years of age. It so happens that this diseased named LHON caused me to be a sufferer of blindness that enables me to read braille and use a screen reader package called Window-Eyes at gwmicro.com for more info on it. Anyways, I'm twenty-seven years of age with a bachelors degree in political science and am unemployed but looking for federal employment with administrative work but am not wanting to be a lawyer or permanent bureaucrat by any means.

Before I lost my vision that I played standard game consoles like Super NES, Sega Saturn, Sega Saturn, N64, Playstation and gameboy games with some pc computer games as well. My favorite genres were in role playing games (rpgs), action and adventure, shooter, racing and classic games. Games that were my favorite were Final Fantasy, Ogre Tactics, 007 Golden Eye, Pokemon, Dragonballz, Warccraft, Breath of Fire, Castlevania, Sonic, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Tekken, Mortal Combat, Mega Man, Sim City, Diablo, Killer Instinct, Star Wars, Star Trrek, Sarge's Heros, Twisted Mettl, Tony Hawk pro skater, WWF wrestling, Nascar, and other games besides that are too extneisve to list! Needless to say that I've not found lots of these games accessible for blind people and would love to be part of some small way to change them to become accessible for blind users. Ever since my blindness that I'm a fan of Audiogames.net just have stayed anonymous but have found some games useful and even soemwhat fun. Games like Sryth.com, Dark Grimoire and Alter Eon come to my mind but have tried out lots like Jim Kitchen's Monopology and others like it on the web. Find the introduction thread filled with diversity from various prospectives and walks of lives from nation to nation and from preference of games so this should be interesting dialogue in coming posts! Nice to be here and hope to hear from all of you on here!

adios, ciao, sianara, bon voyage, masalama, salam, tally ho
Peter

Thumbs up

2013-08-13 21:24:07

Hey everyone. My name is Jake and I just registered on here last week. But when I first tried to log in today, I somehow managed to come up with a wrong password so I had it reset. Now I think I'm all good. Anyway, I live in Illinois in the United States, and have been playing audio games pretty much off and on for several years. However, I haven't played any in a little while. This is mainly due to the fact that the laptop which I got for Christmas 2 years ago suddenly stopped working only because I put a music CD into it to listen to. Long story short, it was discovered that the motherboard had somehow fried. We're pretty sure the thing is basically unusable at this point, but I'm supposed to be getting a friend's buddy's unused laptop. They're letting me try it out and if all goes well the laptop is mine upon payment. That having been said, I love the concept of audio games. I have been blind since birth and have always been intrigued by sounds. I suppose that's been said before though by others who are blind/visually impaired. I have pretty much stuck to the freebies and demos up to this point, but I did receive a game pack several years ago for Christmas. That one didn't end up working too well though for some reason.

2013-10-02 15:25:57

Hi all.

My name is Carlos. I'm a gamer who happens to be totally blind since I was 10 years of age. I mostly enjoy video-games, but recently I began to appreciate audiogames myself. I'm originally from Guatemala, but I have been residing in the U.S. since 1998.
Specifically I'm a hardcore fan of Mortal Kombat, and by the same  developers, now Injustice: Gods Among Us. I am part of the fighting game community and in there I'm known as ObsKHRattlehead because I represent my local game crew and online gaming clan.
I joined here because I wanted to share with you all that we might be making progress in the mainstream gaming world.
I'd recommend you all read this topic I posted regarding Injustice, as it now features an accessibility mode. Sure it is a minor adjustment, but it's a step in the right direction.
Check it out: http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.p … 42#p150342

you can follow me on twitter @OBSKHRattlehead if you'd like as well.
Also, check out my youtube channel where I have high level Mortal Kombat 9 content. And, I will soon upload Injustice high level matches. http://www.youtube.com/user/Chvasquez86

Cheers.

Follow my Youtube channel for high level MK 11 gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/user/Chvasquez86

Follow me on twitch for live streaming. https://www.twitch.tv/obsrattlehead

Thumbs up

2013-10-07 16:55:15

Official introduction

My name is Allen. I have been an active reader of the forums for several years. Indeed, I first learned about muds and such thanks to this site in 2005. I'm a freelance audio book editor, voice actor, and podcast producer; the latter since 2007. I am currently in the midst of doing research in the hopes that I can produce my own audio app. I have written two blog posts on the subject. If you are a Twitter user, my name on there is the same as on here. Really, if there is a site that has a user with "AstralAudio" as the handle, it is probably me. If you want to know more, have a look at my website and get in touch.

Allen Sale
Executive Producer
Astral Audio Entertainment

2013-11-20 02:45:43

Hi, all. I'm Teresa. I've been totally blind all of my life, and I really enjoy audio games, especially multi-media ones. I don't know why, but I'm not so much a fan of text-based games. they are too much like reading a novel, and I'd rather read. In any case, I've been poking around audio games.net for years, starting with the Curb Game and Terraformers. I thought I'd give this a whirl. thanks for reading.

Thumbs up

2014-02-13 18:33:12

Hey, guys. My name is Adil. I also blind. I really love the game audio. I am from Kazakhstan, Karaganda city. Average speak English. Well, for now.

Regards, Adil.

Thumbs up

2014-03-21 22:32:34

Hi guys, my name is Meng. I from Malaysia as well. but I like some of these audio games. but sometimes mainstream game .
That's all for today.
Have the awesome day!.

Thumbs up

2014-06-24 13:22:28

Hello!
My name is Sukil, and I'm from Spain. In fact, I'm the one who told guilevi the registration problem yesterday (Thanks man!).
Anyway, I'm not so active in forumps (in fact, I'm affraid of some very long topics over here), but I enjoy playing games a lot. About my programming experience, do basic on a braille lite, small basic, some unsuccesful effort in bgt and a stupid program for a school presentation (I don't like Power Point) in DFE count?
Oh, and as you can see, I like fancy formatting smile .

2014-07-02 20:41:12

Hi, I did not deliver all over personal information about myself, I'm sorry. So someone knows the game well used audio Harry Potter game outside of Sarah? So I was thinking of a Harry Potter game, which a good friend or two, say, Harry, Ron and Hermione can take up the role, we can fight and whatnot. Anyway, I'm blind.

In my grammar workbook the author is wrote that:
"The illiterate is like the blind man."

2014-07-20 01:11:32

Hi, I'm very new to this site, and to the world of audio games!  I had NO idea how much there is out there!  I remember looking at one site for accessible games a long time ago, and being seriously unimpressed.  But this site is amazing!  I don't know where to begin!  Not complaining, you understand ...just a bit overwhelmed!  I see everything I like on the games list, (well, except for bejeweled) which is probably impossible, but I have enough vision for match games, so long as the graphics are straightforward and I don't have to deal with time limits.  Didn't see any mahjong either, though again, that might not be possible.  What I did see, though, were a bunch of solitaire games (yummy), and some other card and word games I enjoy, and a whole bunch of things I want to try ...but which first?????  Ah, the stress (smiling happily).  Delighted to have found this site, and look forward to participating on the forum.

Thumbs up

2014-08-22 05:29:35

Hi everyone,

I'm Mirage, from the USA by way of Texas.  I'm fairly new to audio games, and I had no idea just how much there was available to me as a totally blind gamer.  I imagine I might be a bit older than the average person on this site, as I've just now turned forty.  But the way I look at it, you're only as old as you allow yourself to be, so here I am, playing Muds and Harry Potter games.  I am an avid reader, and am hoping to start graduate school for a degree in Library Science.  I'm not sure what else to say about myself, but I thank you all for giving me a wealth of information in your posts and game tutorials, as I'm discovering what feels like a new realm of possibility!

Thumbs up

2014-08-27 14:11:08 (edited by Socheat 2014-08-27 14:12:29)

Well, this is not a bit late here. in fact, it is very long late! big_smile
Well, I've been in this forum since 2013, but I haven't introduce myself yet. so here goes:
Hello everyone,
My name is socheat. I'm from Cambodia, and I'm 18. I love audio gaming...!

2014-08-27 16:45:00

high, I'm nicholas.
I began playing audio games in 2000. my mother introduced me to games for the blind (Roburt Bets's company) and bavisoft. after acquiring a coppy of JAWS through blinksoft (a Vancouver, WA based AT distributer) I learned about the other audio game developers, starting with bsc games, then ESP softworks (now drakonus), GMA games, and pcs games. in 2004 I was introduced to this sight by robbbison brian.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-09-06 22:20:08

Yo, I'm Jack.
Started in 2013 yeah, just last year in June. I've only really played Alter Aeon, but I've tried Hellmoo. It broke me a little.
Oh yeah. I'm sighted.
Also my name isn't Jack and my location is pretty accurate.
Going to read Harry Potter again.

What is a Ko Jack? I have no clue.

Thumbs up

2014-09-07 05:42:17

welcome to the forum.

2014-10-22 14:53:58 (edited by afsilva90 2014-10-22 14:56:37)

Hi everyone,

My name is André Filipe Silva and I was born in the USA. However, my parents are Portuguese.
I've been totally blind since birth due to the fact that I was born prematurely. Anyway, I enjoy audiogames and my favorites are Q9, Top Speed, Palace Punch-up, Super Liam, Troopanum 2, Pipe 2 Blast Chamber, Terraformers, Battle Zone, Sarah and the Castle of Witchcraft and Wizardry, GMA Tank Commander, Shades of Doom, etc. However, I haven't played mainstream games. Are they difficult to play or not?
I have an iPad Air and I enjoy playing Stem Stumper. By the way, I have some trouble playing this game, especially in the Seed Slinger garden, Level 7. How can I beat this level and obtain three curious carrots? Any tips would be appreciated!
Take care,
André Filipe Silva

Thumbs up

2014-10-25 09:29:45

hi and welcome

2014-10-25 19:01:27

Hi folks

My name is Dan and I'm a PhD student working with Somethin' Else, the London, England based team who developed Papa Sangre etc. I am also a developer on the upcoming Audio Defence game.

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask you all for some crucial feedback. I'm looking for people's opinions on audio games that feature a visual interface over audio games that do not (games that are 'pure' audio, in the true definition of pure). As anyone who has played the Somethin' Else games will know, the games feature a visual interface in order to navigate the menus such as level select and control configuration. The in-game interface also features icons that indicate the direction the player is currently facing and the buttons to press in order to move the character forward.

This is a useful interface as, using the iOS middleware VoiceOver, we can create an accessible layer above this interface which gives a flexibility to the interface and, providing that the interactive elements have an associated accessible attribute, the same interface may be used by all players simply by interacting with the device's touch screen.

While this works and is great, I wonder how we might do better. Has anyone played any audio games that have been more strenuously gesture based (a la Nintendo Wii) rather than touch-screen gestures? Also, how would people feel about physical based games (for example, an audio game implemented with wearables and one that you played with friends in the physical world. An MMO game that extended the digital space and allowed players to cross the digital rubicon so to speak.)

To sum up, this post is to say hello to all and to source feedback on what the future of audio games may be like. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Thumbs up

2014-11-14 14:57:00 (edited by Socheat 2014-11-14 14:58:02)

Welcome to the forum, your game is great and very popular in my country... big_smile

2015-01-08 18:14:33

hello
i born in bangladesh
iam a bussinessman
my bussiness is drug

Thumbs up