2012-01-26 11:46:57

No, this isn't about getting wisky into prohibition America, though it does involve lots of illegal activities.

Niels Bauer, makers of the great space stratogy games Smugglers 3 and indeed Smugglers 4 have let us know that Smugglers 5 is looming on the horizon like a large looming loom of doom! (I'm not sure how weaving cloth creates doom, ---- but if looming can be so evil, then looms must at least be vaguely synister).

Anyway, Smugglers 5 is to contain much of the same content as smugglers 4, just greatly expanded. This will include a number of ways to make combat more interesting, and indeed travel hazards such as orbital missile platforms who will try and shoot down enemy ships with cruse missiles.

The profession system is to be majorly overhawled, with each profession now having it's own skill tree and optional background story, indeed in terms of background apparently each of the planets is to have it's own mini story attached to it too.

There is going to be more on the way as well, new technology and new surprises, and best of all, there absolutely will! be a screen reader compatibility mode just as in Smugglers 4.

So hopefully everyone will join me in the following chorus

"war! ha! what is it good for, ---- lots of fun and making a prophit!"

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-26 16:51:47

Wow; I'm extremely delighted to know that they'll be a sequel. This reminds me...I still haven't completed smugglers 4...

Is there any ETA?

2012-01-26 19:06:50

Slightly of topic, can you play smugglers 4 with NVDa?

2012-01-26 19:30:06

I don't know when this is coming out, this just resulted from a mail discussion I had with niels. Sadly the developement for the access features in Empires and dungeons is rather stalled by the fact he hasn't had enough preorders and that he's waiting on a German publisher, but in the mean time he said he's working on smugglers five, and mentioned some of the features to me, but I get the impression that things are very much not fixed and developement is stil continuing.

Sinse i thought people would be interested to know, I asked if I could publish some news and he said it'd be okay, hence this post.

I'm actually playing Smugglers 4 again myself now, and having huge amounts of fun, ---- though to make things interesting I played as the outer rim, which is proving more difficult sinse they don't seem to get as good ships as the federationk, ---- well not for combat anyway.

As to nvda, as far as I've heard unfortunately not sinse the game requires heavy use of a virtual review curser for wandering around the screen and performing left or right mouse clicks on important areas of text, like the Hal's dolphin curser, Window eyes curser or jaws curser.

Last I heard nvda didn't have such a curser, and the last person who tried to play smugglers 4 with it said it didn't work, ---- though I confess I'm no expert on nvda, and the situation may have changed anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-26 21:11:40

Got to agree with bladestorm here. He told me a while back that he was working on empires 2 compatibility. What frustrates me is it seems like he wanted a certain ammount of orders to get enough money to perhaps make the compatibility mode for the game. However, i take issue with the fact that even if i placed an order and bought the game, it wasn't guarinteed that the mode would even be made. Its like gambling, you don't know if you will get your money's worth. In this case, i don't feel it was worth the 15 dollars.

2012-01-26 22:16:07

As far as I understand it, for some reason the compatibility mode in E&d 2 was also tied to him making an expantion for the game rather than being in the initial game itself, which is why he wanted the preorders, though of course the problem is then he's asking Vi customers to effectively pay money for something they can't use.

In fairness he has offered people their money back, including myself, so if you wanted your preorder cash back I think he'd give it, though perhaps some reminders to him that we would! much appreciate E&D2 could be in order.

Understandably Tv manager two didn't work out as planned I think, because much of the fun of the game was in the artwork, and it also required dragging and dropping which isn't the easiest opperation to perform with a screen reader at the best of times.

I might indeed forward him a link to this thread so that he can know people's thoughts.

As to smugglers 5 though, he does seem to have taken to heart many of the cryticisms of the s4 combat. Crew combat is also getting a major change of some sort apparently. In his blog was a suggestions topic about combat improvements, and apparently s5 is to have far more of those, and also feature a lot more in terms of what he referd to as "mini story adventures" for each planet, which i take it will be something gamebook like, that sutes me indeed.

One thing though, is to Remember combat is only part of the smugglers games, and while some systems in S4 such as criminal flags never quite came out, as expected, mixing activities does change the game, though right now I'm going ful on as an outer rim mercinary.

2012-01-26 23:02:14

hmmm....
nvda does now have a review cursor, its just not as advanced as the hal or jaws one at the moment.
i managed to click a few buttons on s4 though, not a full game though sadly as I really want to, but cant due to not having a comercial reader.

2012-01-26 23:30:42

Well, there are no actual buttons in the windows sense in S4, everything is the text. Nvda's review curser might not be as good when it comes to properly columnizing the info, but if it can mouse click on text it might stil work.

Did you go to game settings and set the compatibility mode to on?  That needs to be on before anything else, or lots of stuff won't have propper text lables at all.

2012-01-27 14:41:20

hi dark, hope the 5th version of the smugglers game wood not need a jaws cursor or another equivalent.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2012-01-27 15:40:03

@Hanif, one thing is sure, sinse it's a text game yes! it will need a virtual curser. I really don't see people's problem with using them myself.

@Bladestorm, you are jumping extremely to conclusions here and I personally think being far too negative given that the game isn't even released yet, indeed I get the strong impression that it's a long way from being released, niels was just kind enough to let me know sme of the features.

Niels is quite aware that combat in s4 becomes uninteresting after a while, but tht i why he is sticking in what sound to be more story like, and gamebook like elements on the various planets and for your character, as well as apparently more random factors in the combat to make it more reactive, and less a case of "just hitting the same buttons"

I personally disagree with you very much on Ce, sinse for me it's the background, and the resources that make the random activities interesting, but for Smugglers, I suggest that you start making positive suggestions, sinse this is the chance to actually influence what smugglers 5 could involve.

Myself, for me it's the flavour text and background I find interesting, the activities are like mechanics, the text is a reward, and yes, i do admit s4's combat system could do with improvement, but it was already an improvement over s3, so presumably s5's will be as well, especially if players give in put about what they want.

However being instantly negative probably won't be too helpful.

2012-01-27 21:30:05

Hi bladestorm, i can see why you would feel this way and i respect your reasoning. Ever since i played swamp, i am nearly unable to play text based games any more. I mean, whats the point when i have this great game like swamp to play where i can shoot zombies for ages. I do like sound RTS and entombed but it does get old after a while. Once you build your skills and or abilitys up and use them to completely clear the game in question, it just fails to provide further fun. Sure, there is times where i am in the mood for certain games and there are other times where the majority of audio games don't cut it for me. And thats ok, you don't have to convince others to understand, because they won't lol. This comunity is small, so people will instantly take offense even if you say that you don't like a particular game. And so what, you can feel how ever you want about any given game.

2012-01-28 14:23:55 (edited by Niels Bauer 2012-01-28 14:24:29)

Hi there,

I´ve finally got around registering an account here, but I won´t have the time to regularly check it.

Regarding the comments above: Obviously I am going to refund all pre-order for E&D 2 as soon as it´s clear that it cannot be done. Alternatively everyone is welcome to request one anytime. I would have already done it, but it´s somewhat final, so I´ve been waiting whether I'll still be able to make the E&D 2 addon.

Like Dark mentioned I am specifically trying to make the Smugglers 5 game less repetitive, however if I understood bladestorm360 correct, he is basically looking for a different kind of game. That´s fine of course. I cannot make it right for everyone. Smugglers is and will stay a menu-based game. What I agree with him though is that basically it would be possible to make so much more for audiogames. Unfortunately nobody will really touch this, because there is simply - as harsh as it is - no market for it. I am adding a compatibility mode to it only because it was an interesting new thing to do and Dark and other´s asked me to do it. I am grateful for every sale of course.

You´re welcome to suggest ideas of how to make Smugglers 5 combat more interesting without changing the underlying game principle. Dark for example suggested different amount of APs depending on ship´s speed or letting sometimes the enemy having the first move. One of the things I´ve already done is giving every profession their own skill tree.

2012-01-28 20:44:19

@niels, Hi and welcome.

Myself, i do think S5 could be made a more interesting game in combat than S4, by essentially altering the mechanic and random factors involved. Currently, you pretty much do the same thing in each fight, there are no random hits that do more danage than expected, no sudden failutres of equipment, and the only real difference betwene fighting a ship of your own ship's size and a bigger one is the amountof hp the enemy has and the amount of waiting on hits or misses.

Adding in more features like vaiable ap, range, changing who goes first, and the way damage works so that damage to your ship disables or enables certain abilities would I think do a lot for the, essentially making combat more a matter of reacting in the best way to what is happening, rather than finding a winning combination of techniques and just repeating.

As to games generally, I freely confess I've not played bockerano debuken, but on the matter of swamp I do actually find myself less interested in the game. what I personally enjoy in games is exploring the setting and world, including reacting to it's situations. Very few audio games have had that factor thus far, and swamp, while enjoyable does always for me have the same map, same enemies and similar challenges.

I enjoy the game for a quick blast, but I find I much prefer something with a more detailed atmosphere and background, and if that means text , well so be it.

Indeed, I believe these days I find action games interest mee less, even something like zero site or swamp, what I want is something that interacts more with the environment and atmosphere.

if bockerano does this,, I'll enjoy it certainly when I get around to trying it, but certainly I can't see it killing my interest in smugglers or anything else.

As to the markiting question, that is the old problem really. There are far few people buying accessible games, and developers whether the big multimillion dollar affairs or small indi ones essentially wont' make a prophit for an access mode, simply because there aren't the people to buy it. This was why the access mode in the smugglers games was so great.

however, I do feel extremely irritated that chance to play certain genres of games is so restricted. i'd give my right hand to play something like the final fantasy series, which is why i'm so sorry about E&D 2, and stil hope that a compatibility mode could be added to the game.

2012-01-28 20:55:38

I agree with what you said dark. I would love to be able to play an accesible pokemon game for example, as it was always a great childhood game for me, and there is still a large part of me that wants to experience the full game unrestricted by inaccessibility. I also enjoy final fantasy style games, so this is to a hope for one day those games being accessible.

2012-02-08 03:32:15

arqmeister wrote:

Slightly of topic, can you play smugglers 4 with NVDa?

How many your memory ? i think NVDa graphic is very good to play game