2012-01-26 09:11:53

Hi all,

Over the past few days I have been interested in getting back into writing, something I haven't done regularly in about ten years, but I've managed to run head long into a conundrum. It seems out of all the word processors and office bundles available none really are a viable option for me personally.

First, we have Microsoft Office 2010Although, Microsoft Word is probably the most accessible word processor out there for Windows in terms of screen reader support it would cost me an arm and a leg to upgrade to Microsoft Office 2010. The price alone makes it a not very viable option, and since Office 2007 Microsoft has ruined the user interface with the menu ribbons which I have never liked since Microsoft started introducing them into their newer software products.

Second, we have Microsoft Works. For several years Microsoft has created and sold a much cheaper office package known as Works that can be purchased for under $100. Over all I have always liked Works, but screen reader developers do not provide support for Works. Meaning even if I buy Microsoft Works 9 I'll have to wind up scripting it just to use it.

Third, there is Sun StarOffice. This is in deed a good office bundle, but unfortunately its written in Java with the Swing graphics toolkit. It works with Jaws on 32-bit versions of Windows, but is in accessible on 64-bit Windows. It doesn't work with Window-Eyes at all even with the Java accessibility installed.

Fourth, there are the open source office bundles like OpenOffice and LebreOffice. They are fairly accessible on Linux, but try them on Windows with Jaws, Window-Eyes, NVDA, whatever and I can forget it. I tried scripting Writer and Calc with no success. Definitely not good.

Fifth, there is Abiword. This is an open source clone of Microsoft Word for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Again no dice. I couldn't get it to work on any platform with reasonable accessibility.

Finally, there is that old standby Wordpad. Microsoft Wordpad is a basic word processor that ships with Windows. It is fully accessible, but lacks all the tools of MS Word and MS Works like spell checker, grammar checker, thesaurus, dictionary, and other things I'd typically find in a commercial word processor. ?While functional its not an authors first choice for a word processor by any means.

There is Jarte, that is similar to Wordpad, but doesn't have all the tools I'm personally looking for either. Jarte is a nice and simple word processor but a bit too simple.

I'm beginning to believe at this point my only solution is to open up Visual C++ or Visual C# and write my own word processor and spreadsheet applications from scratch. It would be a pain in the backside, but at least the end product would be accessible and wouldn't cost me a fortune to own. Either that or start marking up my short stories etc in html, sml, or xml. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-26 10:20:18

Would you be opposed to using MS Office 2002?  I don't believe there were any annoying ribbons in it.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-01-26 12:45:48

Many people do stick to office 2003. FOr those that want to use the latest office, there is a classic menu ad-on which removes the ribben and replaces it with a normal menu.

It's actually sort of funny because I'm experiencing a similar issue now. I've just got a new PC, but don't feel like installing office on it just because I find it rather slow... But sadly I'll need to do something about it, as I do have to work with doc files for school. The second problem is Microsoft is really hard about people changing languages it's not funny. I have an office 2007 CD which is in Polish. I prefer having all my programs in English (I already can't do it on this win7 because downloading additional language packs can be done only on ultimate). Well, you can't change the interface of Office either. If I install an English Office, then I won't have a Polish dictionary for spell checker and things. So yeah, this is just crap.
I'm actually also having a similar problem with finding a relatively decent calendar... Something which of course exists in Office. Outside, the only one I could find was calendar magic, which prints your calendar view in a normal text field as a table, which is a pain with like 9 different pieces of infrmation on-screen. And it's written in vb6, in which NVDA just seems to never read labels for the edit fields adding to the massive confusion.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-01-26 13:24:52

Greetings!

The recommended office suite for NVDA users, is IBM Lotus Symphony, from:

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/sy … e.nsf/home

Although, the easiest way to download it, is to get  it from Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too … hony.shtml

It is similar to how Open/Lebra Office works, with the added bonus of not needing to install/require  Java, and the accessibility has already been enabled.

Speaking of Java though, for those that do not know, there is a new application called "J-Win," which can be download and read about, by going to:

http://empowermentzone.com/JWin.htm

. In a nutshell, it installs the latest version of the Java Access Bridge, plus checks to see if you have Java installed. If not, J-Win  will give you the option to visit the Java web site, and download Java for your platform of choice.

Hope the above helps anyone!

2012-01-26 14:17:01

Hello,
If all else fails, and you don't really want to write HTML, you can always use a tool such as PanDoc, or Calibre
But IBM Lotus Symphony is indeed great.
I'm curious though, why would you need an office suite when you wish to write short stories, etc?

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-01-26 16:23:16

My Windows ME laptop with office 97 still works, so if I really need a spellchecker, I hop onto that one. Otherwise I stick to wordpad.
(Somehow, it wound up that my Windows 98 computer had Office 2000, and the Windows ME laptop office 97. Go figure.)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has lain several vicious traps to prevent one from using older versions of office on newer systems. Boo and hiss.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-26 16:49:39

I have a similar issue. I have word 2007 and i am writing college essays now. In the past, i had and still have a friend who makes sure my title is centered on the paige, and that i have all the indentation correct before i submit my paper. My question is, is there a way i could do all the formatting independently? Its great that my friend can help but, he may not always be around. Any tips?

2012-01-26 18:27:31

Aren't colleges legally required to provide accommodations for students with disabilities? If that's someone to check the formatting, or instructor's mercy on formatting...
But in general... I dunno. Jaws is supposed to be able to detect formatting information (insert + F), but determining if that actually turns out right is another matter entirely. sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-26 18:42:07

Hi,
NVDA should be able to detect word 2k7-10 formatting as well.
You can centre paragraphs with ctrl+e, etc. Then NVDA+f should tell you the formatting of the current paragraph.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-26 19:01:35

thanks guys. Could someone give a quick list of formatting keystrokes, that would be quite helpful. thanks again.

2012-01-26 19:11:07

Here's a really short list:
Align left: ctrl+l
Align right: Ctrl+r
Justify: ctrl+j
Align centre: ctrl+e
Modify paragraph attributes, such as font size: ctrl+shift+p
Change font: ctrl+shift+f
Change style: ctrl+shift+s
If you are using classic menu for office (the student version is free), be sure to check out the format menu for some additional things, e.g. numbered lists, the table menu for tables, etc.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-26 21:13:25

thank you, that was helpful.

2012-01-26 23:36:36

Any time! Glad to be of assistance.
If you need more help, be sure to post big_smile

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-01-27 06:47:08

Well tom, I have been searching for a cheap office solution for ages.
If you end up writing your own, I'd gladly buy it.
I have jart and that works.
I also have an old licenced office xp that i don't use as well everyone else uses 2010 the licence is free, but I am not about to give it away as I will want to use it.
If though in the future I end up not using it, I will give it to you, ofcause once I give you the licence key, I am going to have to either upload the cds then destroy them or send you the disks or something which means you would have to pay shipping.
I have heard though that an office 2007 code may work on 03.
So, if someone you know has upgraded and no longer needs their 07 code, get that, either buy or download a cracked coppy of 03, then use that.
Ofcause that may all be noncence as I never deemed to try.
Jarte is all I use.
Saying that office home and student thats without outlook and publisher shouldn't cost you to much over 100 I have it in the stores on sale once for 130-200 bucks.
something like ebay or what oction site you use may have offices people don't want.
There is lotus symphony ofcause which is web based but which I have never really bothered with, its free and recomended for nvda and is by the guys at ibm.

2012-01-27 08:12:58

Hi,

Aprone, the problem with using Office 2003 and earlier is that we are talking about software that is almost ten years old or better. Not to mention if I got a copy from you or someone else it wouldn't be my copy, but a pirated copy. I'd prefer not to have to pirate the software just to get something equal to OpenOffice or LibreOffice that a sighted person can get for free and continue to get updates on as well. Which was really my point behind the message.

Yeah, I don't like the ribbons and things in Office 2010, but I can live with them. I'm more upset about the fact that the screen reader developers such as GW Micro, Freedom Scientific, Dolphin, you name it put all of their resources into supporting Microsoft's Office, which costs a small fortune, but have yet to come out and support free or low cost alternatives that are just as good, and cost much less to own.

Essentially, what I am looking for is an office bundle that is as powerful as OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Microsoft Office, runs on Windows 7, and is fully accessible. Finding such an office bundle is somewhat difficult. Which is why I am throwing this out here.

pitermach, yeah, I know a lot of people stick with Office 2003 to avoid the ribbons and such. That's alright if someone plans to stick with XP, but I am now using Windows 7 and plan to update to Windows 8 when it becomes available. I don't think that sticking with old software for the sake of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" works for me to well. big_smile

Truth is I'm a power user and love to be on the bleeding edge. I'll pay for upgrades I think are worth my money such as some of the new things in Windows 8 such as better boot time, better resource management, better SAPI voices, an all new Narrator that is more like VoiceOver, etc. That's something I'll pay for but don't think the upgrades to Office since 2003 have been benifitial to me in any way. However, I'm not sure how long something like Office 2003 will be compatible with the current Windows OS. I know for sure Office 2000 and Office XP won't work on Windows 7 because I tried it and they crashed big time. Although, Office 2003 still works I couldn't tell you how long that will last.

Trenton, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely take a look at that IBM office bundle. Sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

robjoy, my interest in a full suite isn't just for writing short stories. That's just one of several reasons that got me looking into upgrading beyond Office 2003. I've got several spreadsheets here containing lots of financial data that requires a good spreadsheet application. Although, I could create a custom database in Microsoft SQL Express I was hoping to find a simple database similar to Microsoft's Access that I could use to store order information for USA Games Interactive in. Then, I'd like to have a word processor like Word to write books, manuals, short stories, etc with. So I could really use a full office suite, and would prefer to have something cheaper than Office 2010 to upgrade to.

CAE_Jones, all I can say is whatever works. My situation is quite a bit different, because all of the computers at my house are now either running Windows 7, or Ubuntu Linux 11.04. On the Linux side I'm set as I can use LibreOffice, but on the Windows side I'm looking for an office suite that is accessible and fully Win 7 compatible so I can exchange documents back and forth with the Linux office suite. Right now that IBM office suite mentioned above looks like my best option.

arqmeister, most screen readers I've used are able to speak the formatting in a Word document. It might not be enabled by default, but Window-eyes, for example, will tell you if the text is centered, bolded, left justified, right justified, the text is in italics, etc. I always managed to write up reports in Word 2000 and get the reports looking as good as everyone elses. I might have someone look at the final draft before turning it in, but all the formatting and leg work was mine.

The most common formatting key commands are as follows.

Bold Text: control+b
Center Text: control+e
Change Font: control+shift+f
Change Paragraph: control+shift+p
Change Style: control+shift+s
Full Justify: control+j
Italic Text: control+i
Left Justify: control+l
Right Justify: control+r
Underline Text: control+u

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-30 08:50:41

hi.
erm this might be a stupid question but why would you want to underline text?
wouldn't you put the lines above the text hmm no that wouldn't make sence. oh wel so why is it done? just so it lookes "nice" hmm?

I'm gone for real :)

2012-01-30 12:27:47

Brad, sighted people often underline text they think is important, want to make note of, and that allows them to find that text later quickly.

For example, let's assume you are in a history class, and you have your laptop open, have Word running, and you are jotting down notes. The professor tells you that George Washington's birthday will be on this weeks test. If you were sighted you would select Washington's birthday, and then click the underline button to underline that section of your notes. That way when you study for the test you can quickly glance at the screen or read the hard copy and find the section of your notes you want by looking for all the underlined text. Most screen readers like Jaws and Window-Eyes will tell you that a certain section of text is underlined so works for us as well as a sighted student.

Same goes for bold and italics as well. They are just ways to draw attention to a certain word or section of text to let the reader know that this or that is important. By adding such visual references a sighted reader can quickly find his/her place and look for certain text at a glance. Someone blind from birth has never been taught to read this way, and therefore I understand why you might not know what they are used for.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2012-01-30 20:59:47

I havent read all of this,
But  my personal favourite is a program called jarte.
It has spell check , wordcount and the like, and is really simple to use!

2012-01-31 11:26:57

Yes, I know about Jarte. Its a nice little word processor, but not quite what I was looking for. As it is I've found IBM Lotus Symphony more like what I need because it contains a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation application in one.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive