2012-01-24 20:32:56

Yes, this is actually rather sad news. Liam Urven, the genius behind such games as Superliam see index and Judgement day along with several free games, is officially closing down all developement.

What this means is that though all his games will stil be available for download and perchice, not to mention replacement keys if people need them, Liam won't be coding anything else, whether that's work on his current games, or new ones.

The reason for this is simple, Liam is now working as a serious professional programmer and thus no longer has time to work on developing audio games.

We certainly wish Liam well in whatever he does next, ---- though it's extremely sad that we can't look forward to more Lworks games in the future.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-24 22:42:22

hi dark
do you mean super egg hunt+ is gone?

2012-01-24 22:58:17

Sadly yes, we won't be seeing super egghunt plus now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-01-24 23:27:26

Hi Dark and all,
That is very sad news indead, because I was rather looking forward to super egg hunt pluss. However, I do respect the fact that Liam obviously has work and other things to do, because if he could still develope games, I know he would!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-01-24 23:35:21

Hi,
I'll do all I can to get a beta of it, whether it's from Liam or someone else either here, on klango, or on the audyssey gaming list, and I'll deffinatly finish it if I get it. So guys let's hope for the best, and look forward to it.
best regards,
Jack

2012-01-25 05:07:20

Yes, this is in deed sad news. Even though Super Liam wasn't the most advanced side-scroller out there I had hoped on seeing Super Liam 2.

Well, as long as Liam keeps his website up, supports his titles with reg codes, etc there is always a chance he can come back to it if he wants to at some future date. However, I know the stress of writing games and keeping down a normal job is quite a lot and i don't blame him for dropping LWorks in favor of a full time job.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-25 06:28:50

Hello everyone.  Well, I can only echo those sentiments.  SL was one of the earliest games I downloaded myself, and I can assure you I had no qualms about spending all of the Thursday it came out downloading it and batching onto my dial-up powered computer.  I remember Liam taking a hiatus from the game and then coming back to it, and, as if that wasn't enough of a thrill, seeing the new beta at that time gave me even more to look forward to.  I still play SL every so often to this day because I love the music and sound from it.  That made up for its relative simplicity.  I certainly applaud anyone who's willing to take up the torch and carry on Liam's work if he'll allow it.  I fully support Liam in his future endeavors because, let's face it, if you can find full time employment in times like these, and add on the fact you actually actively enjoy what you're doing, who can blame you to taking it on full steam ahead.  Congrats, Liam, and best of luck to you.

Who we are is God's gift to us. Who we become is our gift to God.

2012-01-25 09:46:25

Well said.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-01-25 21:19:30

dear everyone,
that is true about the imploiment, and if i could get a job as a bgt coader, i would.
i can't blame you liam for wanting a full time job, after all, audio games arn't exactly the biggest markit to make money from thees days.
also, big time developers like gma and usa interactive are making enough money to sit back and think to them selves "well, what should i i do now? maybe make another game?"
so good luck liam, and thanks for all the games.

2012-01-26 05:13:01

Well, I don't know if they just sit back that much.  I mean, coding's got to be a lot of work.  Yeah, they've close to cornered the market on it, but...

Who we are is God's gift to us. Who we become is our gift to God.

2012-01-26 05:36:28

Actually, that is exaggerating a bit. No single audio game developer makes enough off his or her games to live on it. GMA might make $10,000 USD when a game title is released, and then the money from that game title will drop off rather rapidly once most of the blind gamers who want it pay for it. So even though older games like Shades of Doom and Tank Commander are still available from the website I doubt GMA makes more than two or three new sales a year after the initial release.

If you do the math that's little better than minimum wage working for McDonald's, Burger King, or something like that. We don't have a big enough user base and market for game developers to get rich, or even make a decent living at writing games.

As far as USA Games goes we haven't taken orders for a game since December 2007.  At that time we took in close to $2,000 for preorders for Montezuma's Revenge, but do to licensing and copyright issues had to change products afterwards. Since we aren't going to take preorders on any titles until Raceway and Tomb Hunter are released I doubt we will be making anything for a while. So we at USA Games aren't getting rich off your money. That $2,000 barely covered development expenses for Mysteries of the Ancients now Temple of Life.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-26 10:43:01

Entombed was I think the most widely sold game at 500 sales within the first two years of release. At 40 usd each, that's 20000 dollars, which sounds like a lot of money but when you split that over two years work, really isn't, ----- afterall here in the Uk the minimum wage is twelve thousand pounds or about 18 thousand dollars a year.

And of course that's not counting whatever developement resources Jason had to buy to create the game in the first place.

The only developer I've seen who potentially could! make a ful time living from selling audio games is actually Aprone, sinse if you sold 200 copies of an audio game at 25 usd each that's 5000 usd, and if you sold five games a year at that wrate, you'd just about be able to afford enough to live, though not much more above minimum wage (at least the Uk minimum wage), and that's assuming that the resources needed to actually develope the games aren't too much themselves.

I do here that the Shard workshop boys who created Zero site are trying! to do audio game developement ful time, but how successful this will be I'm not sure, though I deffinately hope they do well sinse Zero site was a very promising first game.

In fairness though these are probably the worst economic conditions for anyone trying to make an independent living out of entertainment, sinse the economy of the world is going to hell in a hand baskit.

I personally just hope that sorts itself out before I've finished music school, sinse it'd make making a living as a professional tenor extremely difficult.

2012-01-26 14:50:45

Hi,
If he is developing serious programs, can I get them? I mean is there a website to get them? Thanks.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-01-26 20:00:06

well I think he works for somebody now, not as an independent entity. So whatever he comes out with will be under something that isn't Liam related

You will not see the end of this day! PSN el_abrejo Alter Aeon elabrejo Igbo Nabu

2012-02-02 02:30:36

I do play super liam and great toy robbery. I'll never no what happened to super liam2 though, i'm hoping it'll make an unexpected return, and hey liam, have fun at your new job.

Whatever game you play, let it blow your mind away. To put your name to shame is harsh, a clame to fame is never far.

2012-05-05 14:21:56 (edited by tenten122 2012-05-18 11:06:17)

I mean, coding's got to be a lot of work
---- --

---- t --

Hidden Object Games
Baja Homes For Sale

Kenh thong tin – tin tuc sinh vien online chup anh ky yeu

2012-05-05 17:03:11

Actually, this topic is a little out of date, sinse it seems lworks are! still developing, just for the Iphone rather than the pc, which I'm glad about, even though i don't own an Iphone myself at the moment (though the fact that someone like Liam is developing for it does incline me much more towards getting one).

I'd suggest that Tentan and other people check the more recent news about Liam's archery game for details.