2011-10-19 19:41:09

Well guys, as you know I've been busy for a while, but it's about time I gave the community a new game to play!

Dark Ruse is an RPG set in a high-tech laboratory that has been running some unnatural experiments.  You lead a 3 person team down to retrieve a voice recorder from the center of the facility, and the ability to fully customize your team adds a lot to play around with.

There are 8 unique job classes, including things like Fighter, Puzzle solver, and Navigator.  Out of your 3 person team, only some people can be certain jobs, so you will have to plan very carefully if you want their skills to compliment each other.

You have 5 choices about which supplies your team will start out with, and each has its own major disadvantage.  For example, if the lights are out and your team loses its only flashlight, they will be at the mercy of whatever wanders by!

You can choose among 5 personal skills, which could make the difference between life and death.  For example, if you have given your main character extra driving skills, your team will be far more likely to survive if you crash a vehicle.

There are 8 floors to the lab, and even reaching the final room only marks the half-way point in your adventure.  Don't forget you still have to make it back out!  Muhahahaha!

Please give the game a try, and be sure to go through the game's back-story before setting up your characters.  There is a chance that the story will hold clues about what kinds of dangers you are more likely to face, so you can prepare your team more effectively.  Good luck to you all.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/darkruse.zip

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-10-19 21:00:38

Great Aprone! I'm a big fan of rpg games, so I'll surely try  it!

2011-10-19 21:26:40

... I read the Jump Game thread a couple hours ago, then come back to find this. This after walking into my room to discover that, while I was busy giving a presentation on a seventeenth century French author, a river had formed outside my window. (Though not with unique enough sound that I felt like turning off the heat to try and record it).

I... kinda hope you threw this together over lunch. That will make it much more entertaining. smile

Regardless, I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully my internet won't be as rebellious as it was with the last update on castaways.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-10-19 21:36:59

This is great. Once again, we have a new game! I love how your games are just zip archives without any registration entries or anything. That way I can bring them into school and play them on slow days, haha!

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-10-19 21:45:40 (edited by dan_c 2011-10-19 21:46:17)

lol there seems to be nothing to play at the moment though.  although the message did make me laugh a bit at the end aprone. smile

2011-10-19 22:16:14

it's just a joke rpg

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-10-19 22:22:33

Aprone can you actually make this thing? It looks interesting despite the fact it was a joke

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-10-19 22:24:34 (edited by Nocturnus 2011-10-19 22:25:59)

Yup yup!  Just what the Chief defenestrator requested!  :d

IN all seriousness, I would love to see this game take shape and turn into something.  I swear I'd be playing for days!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-10-19 23:03:38

I'm glad to hear that some of you guys like the overall story to the game, even though it was only created as a joke to celebrate my upcoming 1 year anniversary.  Odds are I won't be turning it into a real game, only because I am currently working on a platformer, another sim game, and a new multiplayer project.  I've got a lot on my plate, and work is still keeping me too busy to do much on any of them at the moment.  Dark's post reminded me that I needed to produce a joke game, and I had an hour or 2 this morning to quickly throw one together.

Sorry if that comes as a disappointment to anyone, but that does mean any other developers or game book authors are welcome to use this story idea in any way they see fit.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-10-20 00:02:04

Nice, Aprone, that actually put a smile on my face after a rough day in school today. Thanks for the joke lol, but don't delete the files please I want to see what is in that zip archive please.

2011-10-20 00:22:23

Aprone, this is very funy game by me, very realy, but this is pity, that this is'nt game to play, only joke.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2011-10-20 00:45:23

I just got the advantage to listen to the message lol, funny!

2011-10-20 01:43:13

Well Aprone I generally like the game, however I have several cryticisms and comments to make.

Firstly as regards the jobs and job classes, how balanced and useful they are varies extremely. The puzle solver proved entirely useless due to the lack of puzles, the tank proved entirely useless due to the lack of any amo to load into him, not to mention the total lack of catapiller tracks and large gun, and the support class was entirely unsupportive, sinse I found myself falling over with laughter anyway.

The only classes I found vaguely useful were the medic class, to prvent my sides from splitting, and the navigator class, to aime me navigating in the games extremely complex layout, ---- i mean you can press up and! down arrows to move, that's really complex as far as navigating routes goes.

I also found the game much too difficult, sinse whatever explore set I chose, and abilities I used, I never found any of the items or traps, and almost the second the game started I got an instant game over every time! This is deffinately an unreasonable difficulty I think.

However, I will say the density of monsters was just right, neither too many nor too few, and I freely admit that after my many long seconds spent on the game when I finally got to the ending I wasn't the least disappointed with it.
So all in all a great game once again, even if it does rather lack in game play in some areas.

I'll be adding it to the database as soon as I'm able to right a description long and complex enough to cover the game's many facets, and decide precisely what genre it should be in. At the moment I'm not sure whether I should classify it as taking the micky, pulling the other one (pluss bells), or whether it should be in the missinformation catagory!

One thing is certain though, I did! indeed get just what I asked for big_smile.

Just to be serious for a second, I actually do agree with everyone else who wrote in this topic and on the audeasy list, it would make a really awsome game, particularly because you found some incredibly atmospheric music and a very nice backstory to go with it.

while obviously you'vegot a bazillian other things to do, if you ever do considdering making an rpg this is a really interesting take on the initial idea, sort of a similar plot to shades of doom, but with turn based and dungeon crawl type mechanics and (presumably), monsters going from cyborgs and robots to slimy and mutated creatures, with weapons ranging from guns to chain saws.

It would make a very nice game indeed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-20 02:46:19

As always Dark, you've written a post that's terribly fun to read.  My only hope is that you were joking about adding it to the game database, haha!  I think that would be a horrible prank to play on anyone who ever stumbled upon it.

The hate mail has finally stopped coming in, so that's a good thing.  Yep, you heard that right!  I posted this joke game here, on klango, and audyssey, and I must say that not everyone took the joke with a very good attitude.  The angry messages and emails I was sent ranged from simple statements of being unhappy with me for playing the joke, all the way to people swearing and threatening me because of it.  I can't help but laugh because of how ridiculous some people are, but I suppose that's a whole topic in itself.

As an interesting story (which I feel like sharing for some reason) the idea for the game AND the free time to make it were both linked.  I know the game story isn't actually about zombies, but I had a very vivid zombie dream last night that contained a fair amount of people screaming.  The idea of nightmares and screaming is what I built upon as I started making up the fake game's little back story.  The dream I had was pretty interesting for me, because it contained 2 firsts for me.  I've had plenty of zombie themed dreams, but this was the first time I can remember actually being caught and killed by the zombies.  By itself that wouldn't have been such a big deal, but it was a pretty realistic dream and it is the first time I remember ever feeling actual pain in a dream!  If a dream is a realistic one, you can hear sounds, feel things you touch, and in my case even see the dream world as though it is real life.  When the first zombie took a bite out of me, I actually felt like someone had bitten a chunk of skin out of my back!  In the dream I was aware that I was dreaming so I wasn't really fearful of my life, but after it bit me and I stumbled onto the street I became very worried about the dream death I was about to experience.  I absolutely did NOT want to find out how much it was going to hurt to be killed by dozens and dozens of bites.

I had fallen on my stomach right in the middle of a group of zombies, so I didn't have more than a few seconds before they started throwing themselves on top of me and biting.  Like normal dreams, I was aware of being hurt but it wasn't actually hurting like real life.  I remember holding my right hand up to my face and looking at where a zombie had bitten most of my index finger off, and being VERY relieved that there was no real pain.  I woke up a moment later and couldn't go back to sleep.  That gave me a few extra hours of free time that I used to throw together the fake game and story.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-10-20 02:51:43

lol, that last post made me want to laugh extremely loudly.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-10-20 03:13:21

Which park Key?  The hate mail or poor Aprone getting eaten by zombies?  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-10-20 05:54:22

hi aprone and all.
Well i decided to go ahead and download your newly created game.
I have something to say.
1. The background music is definitely awesome! i just can warantee you that i'm going to have a nightmare this night, because while i was reading the history, i was imaginating all, piece by piece, line by line, paragraf by paragraf. You know what i mean lol.
2. Yes, sometimes all of us have dreams really really reallistic ones. Once i dreamed that i axidentally killed someone, because he'll say to my mom that i was doing a lot of noice! lol, that was kind of stranje to me, but it was very realistic because the way it went.
and 3. You just made me laugh! because the nice message that you get when you begin the game. Its a great history again, is really a good one, i must say.

After years, i finally changed my signature! But i don't know what to say :D

2011-10-20 09:35:04

Well Aprone I don't know what I find more disturbing, the fact that you have such vivid dreams about zombies, or the fact you've recieved hate male over this joke (heck the name darkruse even tells you what the game is). Some people are pretty zombified themselves.

no I won't be adding it to the database, I just liked the idea of a miss information and pull the other one catagory :d.

As to pain in dreams, I've certainly experienced that myself too, though usually it just feels hot like spilling hot liquid on yourself rather than really agonizing, stil it's not pleasant.

Obviously your watching too many zombi apocalypse films and reading too many books like that, or maybe you've just got zombies on the braaaaain!

I suggest you listen to This song from utube to get out of it. Also try an audio podcast drama called the takeover from www.podiobooks.com, one of the most amusing things I've ever found involving zombies big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-10-20 12:52:31

Lol; this thread, especially Dark's and Aprone's posts made me laugh out loud haha. I think that people sending you hate mail over a little game like that is just plain stupid; afterall, its just in the spirit of fun tongue. Have yet to try the game but will do so once I get dinner.

2011-10-20 12:53:12

Hay Apron,
Speaking of zombies... I don't know how much time you've got, but I'd love to see an arcade style zombie shooter for halloween. I know what you're all gonna say, not another space invader game! But, wait a minute...
If anyone's ever played ponte's duel, you'll know that it's a bit tricky to get your aim right because it's not the enemies being panned as you move, it's you.
So, what could be cool is zombies coming from either the left or right and it'd be tricky as you'd have to move to their position, rather than centering them, thus, it's a bit more difficult. It'd be cool if ti could be multi-level or endless. I know it's simple, but i'd love something for halloween.

2011-10-20 13:33:01

Ah, gaaaaames! gaaaaames! delicious gaaaaames! big_smile.

Personally for a zombi arcade shooter, what would be quite fun is being able to specifically shoot off bits of the zombies and have other body parts trying to attack you.

Say, the more accurate you were, the more likely you'd be to kill the zombi with a head shot, but hitting to the left or right would just remove arms and legs causing the zombi to keep coming for you, decreasing it's speed but changing it's movement pattern, for instance one legged zombies would just hop, while one armed one would go in sweeping diagonals.

That could make things quite amusing, especially if the voice acting and sounds were sufficiently good (I'd be willing to contribute to that myself).

Then again, we really do have more than enough arcade shooting type games right now, and something a litle more complex with a zombific theme would be much better though obviously be correspondingly more difficult to make.

2011-10-20 13:51:24

i,
IT's in the title, for sure. Anyway Jeremy, I would be curious to see what you could do with it, i.e. actually putting in some content.
Great joke though.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-10-20 19:37:48

Aaron, I am waiting on my boss to check over some things before I can continue working, so you've really got me tempted to throw something small together.  It really all depends on how much time I end up with, of course.

The accuracy side of things would be pretty cool Dark, I'm just not sure how best to go about implementing it.  I suppose that would lend itself well to a true arcade sound panning kind of game.  I think Dark also raises a good point that we already have plenty of simple arcade shooters, so this would at least need to have some kind of neat spin on it.  I will let these zombie game ideas fester in my head for a little while, and see what I end up with.  Hehe.

Well no matter what happens, I think we can all agree that any game I did throw together would have terrible sounds!  ROFL!  But that's what I have all of you guys for, I humbly bow to the sound effects experts in this community.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-10-20 19:53:35

I was actually trying to make a sword-fighting game with a similar primmace (cutting off limbs and such) over the summer (and as a bonus, it would have had a zombie game). But it caused my brain to melt, so I invented feudal Japan instead.

After reading about the zombie dream, I was a little worried something similar would happen to me the next time I fell asleep.
Well, not quite, though there was a brush with a fanfiction that had the power to illustrate a certain scene by having the reader experience a moment where the heart stopped. I'd apparently encountered this before, and was trying desperately to get away from the area before it got to that part in the story. (I didn't succeed. Though before that I did have an encounter with a ninja who I not only managed to defeat, but prevent from losing his soul to the ghostly hord).
I woke up after the heart-stopping story (because who can sleep through that?), only to fall asleep a while later and start working my way through the lab in Darkruse. It seemed to go back and forth between being a game with advanced means of interaction (head-tracking included) and being me physically wandering through the physical lab (which was pretty poorly organized, let me tell you...).
Apparently there was some problem with the climate control, since when I got to the basement, there was a lot of snow and such piling up on the walls. A crazy old lady stuck down there gave me a plastic fork, which I held onto for dear life, what with having not managed to hold on to a weapon until that point. (I get the impression that the crazy old lady was an employee who they just didn't have the heart to let go.)

I remember something involving focusing on light sources in a certain way, since they apparently represented things to be interacted with, and once having to stop myself from thinking a heatsource was a lightsource.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-10-21 09:46:32

Wow Cae you have some craaaaazy dreams. mine are rarely that coherent or even that logical, for instance last night I dreamed about being in a skeeing resort where there was a plane crash, though spaceships and music came into it somewhere too.

As to games aprone, well I'm a litle torn on this. While on the one hand a zombi blasting game would be fun, it is also true we have lots of basic sterrio targiting shooters. My ultimate vote would be for you to wait and actually create something more rpg or fps like, indeed a zombi fps game would be very nice, or perhaps that expanded version of the darkruse game, but obviously such things would take far more time and be yet another major project on your list.

i will say that the number of games you've done in one year has been fairly staggering! towers of war, Daytona, Lunimals and castaways are all awsome, and Dogwhohates toast is good for a bit of fun as well.
Then you've done the programs like Darkgrue and the colour recognizer as well, and some experimental games like Temporal.

That's amazingly good going for just one year, and I wouldn't worry about having a ful list of things to do afterwards.