2006-04-15 22:34:05

I just had an interestin idea regarding Light Cars. I was playing Arcade Mode and I got to thinking how cool it'd be if there could maybe be a track editor like in the old NES game Excitebike. I've enjoyed that sort of thing, being able to make your tracks as hard or as easy as you want. I also got to thinking it'd be cool if we had an audio skateboarding game like the Tony Hawk games, but then I got to thinking that that might be kinda hard. Usually those games use rock music and things like that and you'd have to obtain the writers' permission to use the songs.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-04-15 23:05:35 (edited by Game Man 2006-04-15 23:07:50)

Hi.
Well you can compose your rock songs and I would love to do that. I love music a lot. I would love a skateboarding game. Whith a little humor.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-04-15 23:44:40

I can't say I've ever particularly had an urge to play Skate boarding games, but if somebody developed one I'd be willing to try it out ----- maybe Sk8kid could give us a bit of real life Skateboarding experience?

Reguarding a track editor for light cars, I'm afraid I'm a litle confused, sinse in Light cars you just head streight forward and don't turn, I'm not certain what there would be to eddit, other than maybe the enemy speed and the number of holes, and both of those things seem to be covered by the increasing level of the game.

though then again, including track differences in the game could be a fun update ----- though it might change the game significantly from the way it is at the moment.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-04-16 00:58:40

I have been pondering this for ever! I have some pretty good ideas, but I'd need a really good coder. I think of games in my head all the time and I always think of vert skateboarding games. I am a pretty darn good vert skater, so I'd know a good deal about the physics. Vert, for those who don't know, is skating on a half pipe which is basically like a toob cut in half with a rail on top. You go up and down on the sides doing different tricks on each wall. We could go more advanced and creat park and street courses. Park would be a bit easier than street. You could create basically different tracks(more than 3) and each track would be different because at skate parks, there are usually different sections of ramp. Creating street spots would be pretty hard. You'd really need to go 3d and a top view like in shades of doom would not be good because the key strokes and feel would not be realistic enough. For street you'd have to start simple and have courses.
So anyway, let's go audio skate!

2006-04-16 14:27:09

I still think it'd be cool to be able to design your own tracks in Light Cars. It'd be just like the old Excitebike game. You could make your track as easy or hard as you wanted simply by the number and frequency of obstacles and powerups you decide to put on it. Come to think of it, I wouldn't say no to an accessible Excitebike style game as long as it were done right. The track creator was probably one of the coolest features of Excitebike, not to mention the five available tracks. Think I'll get me an NES Emulator and a copy of Excitebike. Then again not a lot of the NES emulators are accessible to blind people anymore. Nester used to work fine with JAWS as long as you were just in the program and didn't have a ROM loaded, but it didn't support Game Genie and I'd kinda like to get my paws on an emulator that does. I used to have a version of FCE Ultra that, while it didn't work well with JAWS if the sound was enabled, its menus were straightforward enough that you could navigate through it fine without JAWS if you knew the hotkeys for the menus and the commands they contained. Anyway I'm getting seriously off topic.
  Another game idea that I think could work well would be an accessible game based on the old NES game Demon Sword. Demon Sword was a side-scrolling Adventure/RPG in which you played the roll of Victar, a young warrior from a farming village in the High Hills, who came on a quest to find and vanquish a powerful demon who had seized control of the region and was seeking to control the entire world. Victar bore upon his person the hilt of a mysterious sword that was said to possess the power to slay demons. He needed only to find the two other pieces of the Demon Sword and journey to the fortress of the Dark Fiend to put an end to his wicked plans. Victar also carried with him a magical Shurakin that would return to its owner when thrown and could be used to target enemies at a distance. He could also find and use various magical items with a variety of effects.
  Well, that's my ramble for the morning.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-04-16 14:43:49

That Demon game sounds like something I would love to play. That'd be a quality, advanced sidescroller.
I was seriously thinking more about the skateboarding game. You could have a standard mode with points for harder trickes just like in thps. You could do competitions where the points would be different, but you'd get scores like 88.3 in the end. You'd also get points of for slamming/bailing/falling. You could also do practice runs in the competition mode. Another mode I thought of would be skate, basically the horse of skateboarding. For all those who don't know what horse is, it's a basketball game where each player makes shots and if the other player misses, they get a letter. The first person to get h o r s e loses.
If we want to get a skateboarding game out as soon as possible, an easy style would be slolum. We could bring back the 60s with a hill ripping, obstical avoiding game!

2006-04-16 16:18:12

Hmm, interesting topic again.
At first, light cars.
Since it is really randomised, when the power ups will appear, and when a car will come, i don't think so we'll achieve much with a track creator.
Second, the skate board-game.
In tony hawk, you can make tricks, and you'll get points for them, but in an audio game, how will you know what tricks is for what? It is in my opinion, quite boring when you just go forward, avoid things, and thats it.
If you love skate-style games, you can create a mod for light cars, smile
Best regards,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-16 17:12:06

I was thinking of modding light cars. Could I have permission to post it if I gave you guys credit for actually programming the game?

2006-04-16 17:18:15

Hmmm.  I never played THPS, butI used to love 1080 on my N64!  It's basically the same thing only snowboarding instead.  If you knew the key combos for the tricks, the announcer would tell you when you did one.  Once I did 6 1080's on the half pipe and got a rediculously high score for it.  Good times...  So, a skateboarding game like that would be awesome!

There are so many different kines of games, and everyone likes and wants different ones.  I'm waiting for a good audio football or basketball  game, and one with good human voices and not that Microsoft  text to speech stuff.  Maybe not something as complex as Madden (although that would be cool), but maybe something like NBA Jam on the SNES.  Hey, I can dream can't I? LOL

Bryan, as for your comment about NES emulators, I use FCE Ultra and it works reasonably good with JFW.  It took a bit to configure, because I had to use the JAWS cursor, but it wasn't bad.  Not near as hard as it was to configure my SNES emulator.  I used to have to get the game started and then unload JAWS so that I could use the keyboard for the game.  Now that I have a gamepad though, I can run FCE Ultra and leave JFW running.  I love that!  There's nothing like good ol Super Mario Bros.

2006-04-16 18:03:32

Yeah, you can mod the game, but it will belong to lighttech interactive, as now.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-04-16 19:39:10

Zhtfreak, what version of FCE Ultra do you use? I forget which version I had but I never had trouble with it. All I remember is I downloaded it back in 2002 when my own computer was still working. Unfortunately I don't think I like the latest version. I downloaded it, set up the computer so it would automatically load .nes files using FCE ultra, but when I loaded the game I didn't get any sound. The version I used to have would disable the sound if I loaded it while JAWS was still running, but it would allow me to go to the configuration menu and reenable the sound and then run games with no problems. It also rather annoys me that when I select the Game Genie option in the configuration menu and then load a game I get the message "Error loading Game Genie ROM image!" Since I have no programming knowledge I wouldn't know where to go to correct this. It's like I said. I wish I could still locate that version that I used to have. It never gave me any of the problems I'm having with the newer version.

2006-04-16 20:55:18 (edited by dark empathy 2006-04-16 20:59:41)

Reguarding an audio Skate game, I agree that a basic slalum avoiding poles type thing would just be another Light cars type game, but how about combining that with key combos for tricks, which iether would be announced or sounded and the player had to perform, and obviously they'd have to be hard to pull off and have keys reflecting the way the trick is performed,
If anyone's played it, I'm thinking Savage Gambit style here. I'm sure Sk8kid and anyone els familiar with what you practically do to produce such tricks in Reality could figure out key combos that reflected the physics, the same way Savage does with the boxing punches and counter punches.

Demon sword just sounds cool, much like another favourite series of mine, Castlevania ---- now theres something I'd like to see as an Audiogame!

Nes's never did that well in this country, so they're fairly hard to get hold of, but I've been able to play loads of nes games recently iether in the Nes Classics series on the Gba, or on game collections like the Mega Man Aniversary collection.

i've not played Excitebike though, sinse i was never a big racing fan.

Reguarding A certain paunchy Italian Plummer who likes stamping on reptiles, I've stil got (and often play), Mario All stars on my Snes (not to mention Super Marrio World as well), though I personally prefer something with a litle more atmosphere, they're certainly fun litle diversions.

Of course my favourite side scroller of all time stil has to be the turrican Series on the Amigar. Amigar emulation is a long and complex process, but there's an exceptional turrican remake called T2002, which you can just download and play (there's even a level editor for it, but I've never been able to get that to work sinse it needs Microsoft Net framework).

For the princely some of 0 dollars, You can download the game here:

http://www.pekaro.de/

Oh yeah, and just incase anyone gets the wrong idea, T2002 isn't an audio game, just a remake of an exceptional old Amigar Classic rightdown to great music!

Now this is getting very very long and hugely off topic, so I'd better run away!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-04-18 00:18:16

hello ,
you've all brot on some interesting ideas, though you should keep some things in mind:
as for a skaitboard game, that sounds quite revolutionary, though as robbert and dark empathy sed, if it has to be another avoid-the-obstical game, I'd rather consentrate on something more chalenging and interesting, so to make out of sucha consept something truley worthwhile, some thinking needs to be dun about the "hows", and some questions need to be asked about the potencial a sirten game can have

as for modding our games, feell free to mod our games as you like, as long as you read our lisence and agree to it's turms, and dont forget to put a 2 word line in your documents about the orijjin of the game.

as for complicated chalenging games and keystrokes, well I can't say alot, but our next game to be out will keep your hands nailed to the keyboard as you take the position of a gunner and pilot in a ... have I sed too much?
happy gaming!
yakir arbib

2006-04-18 02:16:39

Hey Yakir,
  Well, I tried to Email you again either last week or the week before to answer the questions you'd had about the Metroid games, but once again it didn't go through. It's particularly confusing since I know now that your Email is valid. I'd downloaded MSN Messenger in the hope that maybe I could get JAWS to cooperate and we could exchange ideas that way, but it still didn't work. Guess JAWS 4.5 doesn't work with the new Messenger. Oddly enough, I still got more feedback with 4.5 than I did with the demo of JFW 7 that I also downloaded. So anyway, after failing with MSN Messenger I tried to send an Email and got a failure notice. Funny thing is, it didn't explain why delivery was unsuccessful, since they usually do. Anyway, I was hoping to find some way we could connect and share ideas and that way you could determine whether or not this was actually a project that Lighttech Interactive could really undertake. I'd put my ideas here but this is already rather a long post so I won't...

2006-04-18 03:45:25

You two really! need to sort this contacting each other out! I can't wait to see audio Metroid, especially sinse Nintendo seem to have given up on 2D Metroid games after Zero Mission for the Gba.

I'd say Light Tech is my favourite audio games company at the moment ----- with Gma games slightly behind (though it's been five months sinse I've seen any activity from them).

While a bit of piloting certainly sounds fun, the game I'm really! waiting for is Light Saber Battle!

Vrwiiiiing! Vrwiiiiing! take that you horrible sith!

2006-04-18 09:06:59

Well, due to popularity, i have to say a few words about light battles (formerly known as ls-attack).
We're currently working on it, as far as on different types of games, we're continue to develop the horse racing game, fixing several bugs, adding new features, so as you see, our life is really crended right now smile
No day can pass without programming, even on my computer visual basic is the application, which i run on every day, lol.
So, please be a bit patient (i know it is hard), and imagine yourself belted up in a seat and load up your mis...
Hmm, i always talk a lot, so i have to finish, lol.
I'm posting this message, not because of complaints, because we'd like to keep up with our gamers.
And finally, a bit of statistic.
from 52 total clicks, we've:
18 on light cars (quite popular)
11 on the horse racing game (i always thought that light locator is better than that, smile*)
9 on light locator (here we go finally)
and 4 on num crunch (what we would like to expect from a simple guess the number game, even if it is enhanced? smile)
And the others, 2 on directx 9.0C, 3 on light battles trailer, and 5 on light locator review (thanks chris)
Thats all for now.
Best reg,
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-04-18 09:14:02 (edited by archer 2006-04-18 09:30:04)

i don't usually post on this kinda thread, i don't like all these racing games, i've tried them, but i prefer side scrollers and general adventure and sci-fi.
but as i was reading i thought up how you could do a good skate game.
you could call it something like half-pipe city.
i don't mind telling you this, for although i intend to use my game ideas in the future, i don't mind letting this one go.
as long as if anyone uses i get credit for creation and design.
so, your on a skateboard, and must get through 5 levels, all in the city avoiding obsticles.
points taken off or added for those missed and or hit.
level1.
park level.
your skating through a park, it's mid afternoon on the weekends.
for ease this game would have to be like the monty setting where your going forward.
with only a little way to go either left or right.
park, natural obsticles, small bushes and trees to jump, avoiding the tree tops all together gives you points, taking half the branches with you 10 point deduction.
you have to avoid pets, children, benches and to make it really difficult a huge duck pond with only a fallen tree inside it to give you any hope of rebounding your self to dry land.
then if you get past all of that you course gently through the park gates, leaving chaos behind you.
i'll write up the other levels on my comp and keep them should someone want to make this game.
p.s i have a paypal account, but i would really rather have credit for future games if one of you or light-tech interactive make it.
best reg.
archer.

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-04-18 11:30:43

Hmmmm, sounds like Light tech is living up to expectations, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up there, and i'm glad that The Horse Racing game is getting some updates too.

2006-04-18 14:27:30

Archer, I'm curious with your other levels. I would like to see them if you could send them or post them. A little on the down side, it's kinda fake. I'd like something a bit more realistic, but it would still make a pretty hard and good game.

2006-04-18 18:02:25 (edited by archer 2006-04-18 18:08:27)

well, if your interested in them as a developer, i'll send them to you via e-mail.
i'm not serious about the game it's just, well it's just avoiding and jumping.
i could stick a few bonus features in there, like trees have bonus items in their branches sometimes, but other than that theres not much to do besides jumping and avoiding.
but what the hell, sk8-kid, if you want the other levels post up your e-mail address and i'll send them direct.
i could even provide some of the sounds.
and, since this is set in the city, the levels will be in the most unlikely of places.
e.g level2 is an airport.
just for a laugh, jumping runaway suitcases, jumping travelators, and dodgeing waiting passangers, .
i even thought up a bonus level, for good measure.
how does a good old american swamp sound.
with pythons and allegators, and bouncing boulders to watch, and a patch or two of quicksand and a few stretches of water.
i'll come up with a few more ideas and e-mail them to you.

best reg.
archer

2006-04-19 03:00:19

It's a bit different, arcade skateboarding. Since I'm not sure how safe it is to post my email in a post, check on dragonslayer. The contact link will give you my email. Sorry for the inconvinence, don't want stupid spam.
In regeards to lighttech, audio metroid would be great! I've always wanted an audio classic such as mario or metroid

2006-04-19 05:36:37

Bryan, looks like I use FCE Ultra version 0.98.  I don't remember when I downloaded it, but it is nice.  The sound was perfect when I was running Windows 98, but it pops a bit because of my Sound Blaster Live sound card under XP.  It isn't bad, though.  I love how you can use the Game Geni too, I just need to find a good place to get codes.  I found somewhere, but I can't remember where it was now.  If only good ol game FAQS had game geni codes.  That is one good thing about the Internet, no more having to get someone to read and enter in the codes I want.

I would ask if I could have your MSN Messenger address, but seeing as how you can't get it to work with JAWS... hmmm.  That's really weird that you can't even get it to work with 7.0.

LOL I guess it was my turn to go way off topic.
Brian

2006-04-19 06:50:46

i like your ideas archer. would be a pretty fun game to play. although the items could have been different for each level such as branches for the park, and an airplane you have to catch for the airport or something lol.

2006-04-19 08:25:50

well, lol, you never know.
if all things go well half-pipe city could be a fully fledged game.
p.s sk8 kid, i have an extensive archive of super mario 1 2 3 and world sounds,
if you want a classic sness, just download tj demo, and i'll give you these sounds so you can mod tj and turn it into super mario vip.
i'll e-mail you later.
best reg to all
archer

2006-04-21 12:45:24

Well, it seems as though I have stumbled onto why my version of JAWS wasn't working with MSN Messenger, and it appears to have been a simple matter of me not knowing about the little keystrokes that would let me read the history window. The arrows don't work, I still don't understand why that is, but I discovered yesterday that pressing Alt plus one of the numbers on the numbers row will read the history window starting I believe from most recent and going back. I haven't quite got the hang of it but if there are any other developers and peoples who want to exchange game ideas, feel free to add me to your MSN lists. Now that I have somewhat of a better idea how the new versions work we can hopefully exchange ideas.